PDA

View Full Version : Daily Mirror Trophy Draw - Re: Dundela FC

Alexa
09/06/2004, 3:54 PM
The Daily Mirror Trophy draw has thrown up some interesting games for Dundela, with the Wilgar Warriors coming up against close neighbours, H & W Welders and, for the second year in succession, competing against Grattan Park side Lurgan Celtic.

The Duns' will also be playing Bangor FC, a game especially looked on with much relish by our Club whether it is to be home or away. Chimney Corner and Portstewart make up our Group ‘D’ opponents.
Each side will play the others in their section once.

The competition will begin on August 14th comprising four groups of six teams from which the section winners only will progress to the open draw semi-final stage.
Dates have not as yet been arranged for matches but, we will inform you here as soon as we receive official confirmation.

Plastic Paddy
09/06/2004, 5:28 PM
Excuse ignorance,a note about the status of this competition?DG says the IFA website isn't up to much on such matters...

IIRC Dav, it's only for Division 1 and 2 sides in NI, which would give it a status similar to the LDV Vans Trophy in England or the SFL League Challenge Cup in Scotland. Anyhoo, c'mon Donegal Celtic! ;)

:) PP

Alexa
09/06/2004, 9:07 PM
Anyhoo, c'mon Donegal Celtic! ;)

:) PP

DC are a good bunch of lads PP and it will be a treat to be playing them again on a league basis. Hospitality is second to none, as the Duns' faithful will confirm.
And the support they show for the local kids is simply brilliant. :)

Plastic Paddy
12/06/2004, 7:39 AM
DC are a good bunch of lads PP and it will be a treat to be playing them again on a league basis. Hospitality is second to none, as the Duns' faithful will confirm.
And the support they show for the local kids is simply brilliant. :)

Good to hear Alexa. :)

On a historical note, DC had the mantle of Belfast Celtic to contend with for many years but they seem to have developed an identity quite distinct. Probably no bad thing in an area laden with too much history.

That said, I remember an Irish Cup quarter final against the RUC that didn't go ahead some years ago, as that might have caused riots. Do you know whether DC have played the PSNI in more recent times, and if so, did all go well? Just curious like...

And finally - well done to your Swifts on being promoted this season. Division 1 next time out seems tough with Glenavon, Armagh, Ballyclare and Bangor all capable of mounting a string challenge for promotion. How do you think you'll do? :)

:D PP

Alexa
12/06/2004, 9:28 AM
Good to hear Alexa. :)

Do you know whether DC have played the PSNI in more recent times, and if so, did all go well? Just curious like...:D PP

DC played the PSNI a couple of seasons ago (Division Two), I think both games were played at Newforge Lane (home of the PSNI) and there was no bother at all. i think the problem was; residents/outsiders of DC did not want the PSNI in their area, which was a pity for DC as they only wanted to fulfill a league fixture.

And finally - well done to your Swifts on being promoted this season. Division 1 next time out seems tough with Glenavon, Armagh, Ballyclare and Bangor all capable of mounting a string challenge for promotion. How do you think you'll do? :)

Swifts - PP?
We are simply named Dundela Football Club....deffo .not Swifts, but thanks for your compliments.
On how do I think we will do in the First Division, I would simply say; at best a mid-table finish or to avoid relegation would be great for the Duns'.

Incidentally and relating back to DC, our 1955 Irish Cup winning Captain, Bobby McAuley, (when Dundela defeated Glenavon 3-0 in the final), regularly spectates at DC games with his son and nephew and on our last visit our Club's Chairman presented Bobby with a special memento of his services to Dundela at the West Belfast Club. A gesture which was warmly received by all at DC and has further cemented the relationships between our repective Club's. :ball:

Plastic Paddy
12/06/2004, 9:38 AM
Swifts - PP?
We are simply named Dundela Football Club....deffo .not Swifts, but thanks for your compliments.

Oops... :o highly embarrassing! For some reason, I've always thought of your club as being named Dundela Swifts! Dunno why, possibly a transposal with Dungannon...

:o PP

Alexa
12/06/2004, 9:42 AM
Good to hear from you anyhow PP....no matter what you call us. ;)

Plastic Paddy
12/06/2004, 9:59 AM
Good to hear from you anyhow PP....no matter what you call us. ;)

So long as it's not Anglo-Saxon industrial language, eh? ;)

Likewise Alexa, and keep up the posting here. It's good to know what's going on up North. :)