PDA

View Full Version : League of Ireland Supporters Guide - Help Needed

Pages : [1] 2

writerbk1969
07/04/2011, 12:19 PM
Hi;

I have just finished the text for a new LOI book but need a little help regarding the photograph section.
The publication deals with all current 21 clubs, their histories, a small fans survey and info on the ground (as I'm travelling to all the grounds) I've also included a segment on defunct clubs.
I have some lovely photo's but copyright can be a bitch (its amazing some publications who where happy to help but on finding out a publisher is involved its paytime!)
Therefore I'm looking for anyone who has a private photo or two not belonged to a paper.
You can contact me here or at writerbk@gmail.com
Because the publisher can only buy so many I'm having to fun a bit myself.

I had a working title of "Is This The Way to Salthill Devon?" but it needs something I think a little more reasonable.

I had Harps, Hoops & Heroes - A supporters guide to the LOI or
From The Drom to Drumcondra - A supporters.........
But both myself and the publisher are open to ideas!
The book will be distributed nationwide so its important I get it and the photo's sorted.
If you can help in any way do contact me and you'll of course be credit in the book - especially if your name is the title of the book.

Regards
Brian

Dodge
07/04/2011, 12:34 PM
Good luck with the book. I'd certainly be interested in a copy. However...

I have some lovely photo's but copyright can be a bitch (its amazing some publications who where happy to help but on finding out a publisher is involved its paytime!) you can't expect people to give away their work for free. If you're going to try and profit from their work, its only fair they expect you to compensate them

I had Harps, Hoops & Heroes - A supporters guide to the LOI
I, being the petty little mind I am, couldn't buy a book with the words Hoops and Heroes in it :D

writerbk1969
07/04/2011, 12:42 PM
"from Miltown to St Mels" A supporters......?
From Tolka to Turners" A supporters...?
"Harps & Hoops to Saints and Seagulls" A supporters..?

And yes I've already spent a bob or two, I was just saying some papers had initally offered them for free

Mr A
07/04/2011, 12:44 PM
"Harps, Hoops and Cheating Derry Hoorbags"

Dodge
07/04/2011, 12:46 PM
I'd go "From registrations to examinserships"

avvenalaf
07/04/2011, 12:51 PM
When Roddy met Handy.

Roddy 2001 - A Spacer's Odyssey.

From Famous Fried Chicken to Hunky Dory.

razor
07/04/2011, 1:22 PM
you can't expect people to give away their work for free. If you're going to try and profit from their work, its only fair they expect you to compensate them
Thats a fair point Dodge, I got some beauties off a face and Peadar for my CCFC book but as all the proceeds were going to the club then it wasn't an issue.

How about using the name "Die Hard"?
Your sequel could then be Die Hard with Allegiance :D

Sandro
07/04/2011, 1:25 PM
You can get great aerial view of most LOI grounds from www.bing.com, I already saved all those available on my PC. I don't think there's any problem with copyright, I used a lot of Bing's pics for my book about the Italian grounds

Great idea, anyway, I have been waiting ages for a book like yours

Dodge
07/04/2011, 1:35 PM
Thats a fair point Dodge, I got some beauties off a face and Peadar for my CCFC book but as all the proceeds were going to the club then it wasn't an issue.

late to the aprty here maybe but do you still have copies? Working on a little project myself...

Guinney
07/04/2011, 1:56 PM
Hope it goes well for you. I'd definitely be interested in a copy

Harps, Hoops & Heroes
"Is This The Way to Salthill Devon?"

Decent titles but I think a name that is more general or broader would suit better. From a marketing perspective a title that does not incorporate specific club names or reference to certain clubs may suit better as perspective readers/buyers may be turned off or feel it is only about these specific clubs. For a book like this a clear title is needed as its the first thing that a potential buyer would see in a shop/online/etc. It has to make the readers want to buy it first and foremost (no pressure). I know its kind of copying the Airtricity league slogan but something like 'Real Football, For Real Fans - A supporters guide to the LOI' would really suit, but don't think that could be used.

Few quick names that came to mind:

-'The Ups and Downs of the LOI - Ultimate LOI Fan's Handbook'
-'We wouldn't have it any other way - Supporters Guide to the LOI'
-'From East to West, From North to South - Your Guide to the LOI'
-'Your League, Your Club - The Essential LOI's Guidebook'
-'They Watch Football on the Telly, We Watch it From the Stands - All Things LOI' - maybe ill-advised this one
-'From Boom to Bust, to Bust to Boom and Back Again - Supporters Guide to the LOI'
-'Beware of the Barstooler - Supporters Guide to the LOI'

Dodge
07/04/2011, 1:58 PM
"More Big Busts than a Strippers Convention - A supporters guide to the LOI"

razor
07/04/2011, 1:58 PM
late to the aprty here maybe but do you still have copies? Working on a little project myself...There's a few floating about alright. (In the boot of my car)

There's a pic of the front cover on my blog below (a faces pic)

Dodge
07/04/2011, 1:59 PM
"Paying for the Champions League from Buscuit Tins - A LOI adventure"

Dodge
07/04/2011, 2:01 PM
"Bringing down more developers than Fianna Fail and NAMA combined - A Supporters guide to the LOI"

bluemovie
07/04/2011, 3:22 PM
From The Drom to Drumcondra - A supporters.........

I like that one, but I'd go the other way round (for the sake of chronology), "From Drumcondra to Drom: the essential League of Ireland supporters guide".

Lads, Brian has already published two League of Ireland books as well as one on the Junior League - all of which are absolutely excellent. A book like this will definitely be very welcome for League of Ireland fans. Actually, I'll go so far as to say it'll add value to your lives. Help him out if you can.

MagicMon
07/04/2011, 3:27 PM
"Domestic disturbances- a Supporter's guide to the LOI"

Or

"How I learned to stop watching the SPL and support a real Irish team"

SkStu
07/04/2011, 3:48 PM
"Friday Night Lights - A Supporters Guide to the League of Ireland" (mypost will like that one..)

"Where the beep is the Flan Siro?"

Schumi
07/04/2011, 6:27 PM
"Just look for the floodlights - a supporter's guide... ". Always the last bit of a list of directions to a ground.

writerbk1969
07/04/2011, 7:22 PM
Actually there are some brilliant titles there lads so far, and had a few offers of photographs. I've done a small survey of fans from different clubs so far "Best Away Day , Worst Away Day, Local Hero, Pantomine Villian etc" which I'm hoping the publisher keeps in (along with my comments on cheapest chip , best fanzine etc)

Martinho II
07/04/2011, 9:33 PM
I like that one, but I'd go the other way round (for the sake of chronology), "From Drumcondra to Drom: the essential League of Ireland supporters guide".

Lads, Brian has already published two League of Ireland books as well as one on the Junior League - all of which are absolutely excellent. A book like this will definitely be very welcome for League of Ireland fans. Actually, I'll go so far as to say it'll add value to your lives. Help him out if you can.

I can vouch for that on the quality of Brians work as I bought two books of his.I would be very much interested in getting a copy of the Cork City book!

historynut
07/04/2011, 10:12 PM
Is the cork book just on city or history of soccer in cork ?

L.T.F.C.
07/04/2011, 11:59 PM
I think the name should be:

"Longford Town FC and 20 other clubs"

:D

razor
08/04/2011, 7:50 AM
I can vouch for that on the quality of Brians work as I bought two books of his.I would be very much interested in getting a copy of the Cork City book!

Is the cork book just on city or history of soccer in cork ?

Just to clarify cos it ain't everyones bag. Its called Reflections from the Shed and is a collection of poetry I wrote in over 20 years of following City and is the first book written about Cork City FC.
PM me if you're still interested.

TenaciousDee
08/04/2011, 9:36 AM
From Donegal Cow Sheds to People's Republic of Cork- A Supporter's Guide to Ireland football grounds

BonnieShels
10/04/2011, 5:45 PM
"Friday Night Lights - A Supporters Guide to the League of Ireland" (mypost will like that one..)

"Where the beep is the Flan Siro?"

On the way to Termonbarry.

I like "Friday Night Lights"

marinobohs
11/04/2011, 2:45 PM
"Just look for the floodlights - a supporter's guide... ". Always the last bit of a list of directions to a ground.

Yea, like Schumis idea (above) or "No one likes us, we dont care" - a LOI supporters guide......... anything that is club specific runs risk of alienating fans of other club(s) so something general probobly best from a marketing perspective.
Best of luck with it, I look forward to reading it.

passinginterest
11/04/2011, 2:53 PM
Why do We Bother? - A Supporter's Guide...

It's probably the question that's most asked from those that wouldn't cross the road to see a game.

Sandro
12/04/2011, 9:53 AM
I like "Friday Night Lights"

Me too

Dodge
12/04/2011, 11:08 AM
It'd be grand if wasn't the title of a well known Sports book, Mobie and TV show...

redobit
12/04/2011, 12:19 PM
Maybe:

- Irish Pride, A guide to LOI football.

- The smell of fresh cut grass, A guide to ...

- Our Clubs, Our Country, A guide to ...
(this goes back to when Irelan played Brazil about 5 years ago in the old Lansdowne Road, the North terrace had been made the LOI section of the ground and anybody at the game in the North Terrace got a free scarf that said Our Clubs Our Country on both side. Maybe a picture of the scarf on the front of the book - could send you a picture of the scarf if you wanted! )

SkStu
12/04/2011, 2:04 PM
It'd be grand if wasn't the title of a well known Sports book, Mobie and TV show...

your name is John isnt it?

thischarmingman
12/04/2011, 2:07 PM
Er....We Play On Fridays...?

:cool:

John83
12/04/2011, 2:22 PM
If you want to get people to read it, you'd have to call it something like:

Why You and the People You Love are Suddenly Poor, Unemployed and in Debt
Football as a commodity, and Ireland's trade deficit

Mr A
12/04/2011, 3:46 PM
"I killed Gavin Dykes With A Trident, A Guide...."

writerbk1969
12/04/2011, 5:50 PM
I think the title Friday Night Lights is fantastic and have pushed this name at the publisher (I don't actually get that much of a say title/cover wise) and have a couple of night shots floating around as well , though could always use more.

Dodge
12/04/2011, 7:59 PM
Seriously, has no one read this book (http://www.amazon.com/Friday-Night-Lights-Town-Dream/dp/0306809907)?

SkStu
12/04/2011, 8:12 PM
Seriously, there is no law against two books having a similar name. Relax.

cornflakes
12/04/2011, 10:09 PM
A little bit off topic but I'l have a good bit of spare time in the summer after college exams and wanted to read "Who Stole our Game" by Daire Whelan. Just wondering does any body know where I can get a copy?

A face
13/04/2011, 12:00 AM
I dont have a name to suggest but the world is your oyster that is for sure. There are loads of quality names for a book and i wouldn't be rushing to fill that space just yet.

Cuyahoga
13/04/2011, 8:14 AM
A little bit off topic but I'l have a good bit of spare time in the summer after college exams and wanted to read "Who Stole our Game" by Daire Whelan. Just wondering does any body know where I can get a copy?
I got it in my local library.You can ask them to order it in if they dont have it on the shelf.

Dodge
13/04/2011, 9:32 AM
Seriously, there is no law against two books having a similar name. Relax.

Of course there's no law against it, but if you want your book to be marketed properly, distinguishing it might help

marinobohs
13/04/2011, 10:40 AM
Of course there's no law against it, but if you want your book to be marketed properly, distinguishing it might help

Would there not be copyright issues around using a book title previously used ?

A N Mouse
13/04/2011, 11:47 AM
"No Who Do You Really Support? And other stupid questions - A Guide to Following Irish Football"

MagicMon
13/04/2011, 12:31 PM

Yeah, you want it so that its the top hit on a Google or Amazon search, not having to trawl through a dozen books about American football.

SkStu
13/04/2011, 2:24 PM

They are in two, totally independent, markets. The chances of confusion or the American book adversely impacting the marketing of the Irish book are not great.

Would there not be copyright issues around using a book title previously used ?

No.

Yeah, you want it so that its the top hit on a Google or Amazon search, not having to trawl through a dozen books about American football.

Thats not how Amazon works - if you entered it into Amazon it would return two results as there are only, hypothetically speaking, 2 books with a similar name.

(And today I realised that i will argue about anything.)

John83
13/04/2011, 2:34 PM
Welcome to the internet.

Dodge
13/04/2011, 2:40 PM
They are in two, totally independent, markets. The chances of confusion or the American book adversely impacting the marketing of the Irish book are not great
Go on then, I'll continue...

Even if I concede that they're two different markets (despite my interest in both) and even if I concede that its a great title (which it is), its still pretty crappy to use a title thats already been used in a succesful book

"No Who Do You Really Support? And other stupid questions - A Guide to Following Irish Football"

I love this BTW

marinobohs
13/04/2011, 2:40 PM
No.

Interesting that no copyright issues arise. In that case I would go for "The Bible" as title :cool:. Short, catchy and already has a big potential market. Might get confused with that other book about another (less important) religion but just a chance you have to take.

THE BIBLE - a guide to League of Ireland Football

SkStu
13/04/2011, 2:47 PM
Interesting that no copyright issues arise. In that case I would go for "The Bible" as title :cool:. Short, catchy and already has a big potential market. Might get confused with that other book about another (less important) religion but just a chance you have to take.

THE BIBLE - a guide to League of Ireland Football

"7th Day Adventists and other Weirdo's - Welcome to the League of Ireland"

On another note, my frustration with PineappleStu is borne out of the fact that i have no copyright on the name Stu and its variants and as such feel that my ability to promote myself and market my name has been impinged.... :)

marinobohs
13/04/2011, 3:03 PM
"7th Day Adventists and other Weirdo's - Welcome to the League of Ireland"

On another note, my frustration with PineappleStu is borne out of the fact that i have no copyright on the name Stu and its variants and as such feel that my ability to promote myself and market my name has been impinged.... :)

I reckon he only took the name to wind you up and that it is clear provocation :p. I think the matter should be settled in the traditional manner with both protagonists, armed with a set of Bohs annual accounts (year optional) canting - "reasons I hate Pat Fenlon"* The winner will be last man standing (in the LOI tradition - every club has one) and will have sole ownership (in Foot.ie world) of the name Stu and all variations thereof. Let the games begin :o

* Game open to the two people named only (although late applications may be accepted from other Stu's - until fudge runs out).