PDA

View Full Version : Policeman killed in bomb attack

awec
02/04/2011, 5:09 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-12947225

Scum of the earth.

Lim till i die
03/04/2011, 1:10 AM
Question for the Derry lads in particular, how much support do the dissedents actually have on the ground in the North??

Like I hear tales that the Real IRA would actually have quite a degree of support in Derry city for example but dunno what to make of it??

horton
03/04/2011, 10:28 AM
Its hard to say really. There is a lot of the North where they'd have no support, but they'd have hardcore support in a few places, especially in parts of Derry. Most of them resent the term dissident and would view such attacks(RIP to that yun'fla) as symbolic. Attacks like this won't force London to hand over the keys to Dublin tommorrow, its to attack the 'normalisation' - that there is still conflict in the six counties that won't go while British rule is still in place. Even though they've never had a huge support(fear of mostly) the scary thing is that these attacks will continue as long as they have JUST enough support to carry out such operations irrespective of public opinion.
At the risk of offending the other Derry lads if they hold similiar views, but those that support such militant republicanism are hypocrites/idiots. I've met a few ranging in intelligence levels from "BRITS OUT/ACAB" hoods to those that have intensely studied republican ideology, and the funny thing is I've yet to meet anyone that fully practises what they preach. If your vehemently against anything british fair enough, but you must follow through and not pay british tax/claim british welfare, not support any british football or anything else that's a part of that culture. Plus its quite easy to poke holes into how they'd implement their ideology. They offer no valid argument about how they can dictate to people what professions they can or can't have for fear of being killed.
There's a dissident/super chuck forum I occasionally read to try to understand the logic behind such incidents and I still struggle with a lot of it. They are working on a flawed strategy that is ultimately doing more harm to the social and economic integrity of the areas they attack than hurting the public image of the boyos in London.
Plus everything is a RUC/MI5 conspiracy!
(Try saying this to one and see what their response is!)

Not Brazil
04/04/2011, 10:29 AM
Tragic loss of a young life at the hands of cowardly, no hopers, who bring nothing but shame to the island they profess to love.

Their actions stand in stark contrast to the bravery of the young Nationalist Officer, who was dedicated to doing his bit for a lasting peace and a better, brighter, future.

Mr A
04/04/2011, 11:05 AM
Utterly pointless.

These people have nothing to offer anyone. I firmly believe that these groups are more about organised crime than anything else, and the cloak of militant republicanism is just a tactic to get dumbass youngsters involved.

As for support for these groups: The only people I've come across of that support them are utter wasters. Guys who've lived off the state their whole lives and now live on the republic side only because the benefits are better.

BonnieShels
04/04/2011, 9:01 PM
I have never ever ever been able to figure it out. I grew up in Ballyfermot and the amount of heads I grew up with and around who purported to support 'Ra ideals never ceased to amaze me, to the point that I was ridiculed in school for my sincerest anti-Republican notions.
When we were younger I remember the absolute sense of unbridled joy in 1994 when the ceasefire began. That was the ultimate expression of what the Irish people wanted.

That 17 years later from then, 13 since Omagh and a whole lot more since 1969 that there's people who exist who think this acceptable is just inexcusable on every level.

It was said as well as it could be by Terry Spence (PFNI Chairman) "...he was more of an Irishman than they'll ever be..." or Minister for Justice Alan Shatter "...let us not forget that an Irish police officer was murdered here, whether a member of the Gardaí or PSNI these are Irish police men and women..."

I think what has always served the bizarre ideological justification in certain parts of the south has been the friction of distance from most of the atrocities.
Will this particularly awful killing and the revulsion against it stop it happening? I don't know, as there will always be a nutters out there. Stephen Carroll's killing didn't stop Ronan Kerr dying.
Anyway... I'm rambling but this s**t really gets to me especially when it's carried out by scum purporting to be Irish Republicans.

brendy_éire
04/04/2011, 11:56 PM
I firmly believe that these groups are more about organised crime than anything else, and the cloak of militant republicanism is just a tactic to get dumbass youngsters involved.

Nah, it is not really about organised crime. It is essentially political. (Apologies, writing on an Estonian keyboard and can not type aposrophes)

...I was ridiculed in school for my sincerest anti-Republican notions.

Being republican does not mean supporting use of violence against the English, btw.

Tbh, I can not see the point blowing up a Irish person to achieve unity.
If the dissidents think that by killing Irish people, or blowing up a kebab shop in Derry, is going to get the attention of David Cameron and the British govt, they are seriously deluding themselves.

What they have achieved is to leave an Irish family without a son. Nothing more.

BonnieShels
05/04/2011, 9:44 AM
Brendy, maybe I should've said anti violent republicanism. That was the intention.