PDA

View Full Version : Unity Cup

GalwayFrancis
07/06/2004, 9:43 PM
why was the unity cup on in england?????

Plastic Paddy
07/06/2004, 9:44 PM
To draw together three of England's largest ethnic minorities in sweet, sweet harmony... oh yeah... :cool: :D

:D PP

Daxion
07/06/2004, 10:05 PM
A money-making scheme by unenlightened businessmen.....sorry,that's enough about the FAI........ ;)

Me thinks that them Unity Cup bros made a shocking loss, the FAI got £350 K before a ball was kicked.

lopez
07/06/2004, 11:57 PM
why was the unity cup on in england?????Where would you prefer it played?

GalwayFrancis
08/06/2004, 9:16 AM
well ... with the crowds they got, they could have played in tolka park or dalymount.. should of been played in lansdowne... scotland played in scotland ... england played in england,, why did we play in england???

Plastic Paddy
08/06/2004, 9:22 AM
well ... with the crowds they got, they could have played in tolka park or dalymount.. should of been played in lansdowne... scotland played in scotland ... england played in england,, why did we play in england???

I refer the honourable gentleman to my earlier answer... :rolleyes:

:ball: PP

lopez
08/06/2004, 11:30 AM
well ... with the crowds they got, they could have played in tolka park or dalymount.. should of been played in lansdowne... scotland played in scotland ... england played in england,, why did we play in england???The crowds would have been a lot higher if the games were properly marketed. The NiJam game was given higher publicity and got 15K; The Aussie - RSA game last year was likewise given plenty of hype and it passed the 17K mark. What was done with the Irish games? An invite less than four weeks away and publicity in two Irish community papers. I spoke to plenty of people who would have gone if they didn't have three days to organise themselves. And if you think that hype doesn't work or is unnecessary, look at the way the tans have been going into overdrive after being force-fed copious amounts of cr*p about Euro 2004.

As for the games being held in London, the aim was - as PP has pointed out -to cater for the ethnic communities (and make money), which when you combine people in London and the Home counties of all 1st and 2nd generation immigrants would easily outstrip the population of the Republic. It's no different than the US Cup, although that has official backing from the native FA? We're getting nothing but hysteria from the tans - it's not even the party time of the Dutch I witnessed at the weekend even after they lost, but the usual negativity and arrogance. The rest of us want to follow our own teams rather than join in this obligatory faux nationalism. If you lived here you'd understand.

Jon'o
08/06/2004, 7:15 PM
The rest of us want to follow our own teams rather than join in this obligatory faux nationalism. If you lived here you'd understand.

and they say that most of a cars depreceation in price is when you drive it out of he showroom.... how much do those anoying flags wipe off. :mad:

on the plus side
anyone stealing cars will have a feild day on saturday... people with one of those flags on their car will be a sure indication that the owner is either asleep infront of the tv or down the pub. knew they would be usefull :D