PDA

View Full Version : Derry match

naoise kennedy
01/04/2011, 10:48 PM
Unlucky tonight not to get the draw, we had some very good periods through out the game. Mulroy again gave it all in the first half, a bit quieter in the second but he was moved around, Murphy very unlucky to miss that header after some great work from danny,, dean zambra is really turning out to be a solid player, massey is also showing why he could be picked before kendrick..

all in all a good performance against one of the bigger teams, but one concern is how did derry get 5 clear headers at the back post during the game.

peadar1987
02/04/2011, 12:51 AM
Unlucky tonight not to get the draw, we had some very good periods through out the game. Mulroy again gave it all in the first half, a bit quieter in the second but he was moved around, Murphy very unlucky to miss that header after some great work from danny,, dean zambra is really turning out to be a solid player, massey is also showing why he could be picked before kendrick..

all in all a good performance against one of the bigger teams, but one concern is how did derry get 5 clear headers at the back post during the game.

I was impressed with how the lads played tonight. We have to work on our set pieces though. Mitchell had a very good game tonight, but I think, as the taller of the two centre halves, Prendergast wasn't dominant enough in the air.

Its good to see Massey back in the side and playing well.

Cabinteelygull
02/04/2011, 4:36 PM
Agree with the points about Massey, really rate him as a defender and would certainly pick him ahead of Kendrick. On last nights game, was disappointed as I felt we gave Derry too much time and space in the build up to their second goal and once it went in the heads seemed to drop a bit. Very difficult to see us getting a positive result in Tallaght next week, however ,2 very winnable home games back to back after against Drogs and Galway would give us another good lift! As they say it's still early days and a lot of positives to be seen all around the club so far.
On a side note, the Irish Times today had the attendance down as 1000, I thought it was much less than that, but then again i'm desperate at judging crowds, anyone know the 'official' count?

notever
02/04/2011, 7:24 PM
3 set piece goals given away against Bohs. one against St Pats and you could say two against Derry as second came from a cross from the right...bad marking allround.We need to tighten up.,but some good play...I'm not over confident but if we tighten up we will be o.k. I think.Next Friday will tell a tale or two.

peadar1987
03/04/2011, 12:39 AM
On a side note, the Irish Times today had the attendance down as 1000, I thought it was much less than that, but then again i'm desperate at judging crowds, anyone know the 'official' count?

It was never 1000. There were maybe 50 Derry fans on the DART side. The tent holds just under 1000, and it was nowhere near close to full

Roo69
03/04/2011, 11:41 AM
Completely our own fault for not taking anything from the game on Friday. The 2 goals we gave away were pretty much a carbon copy of each other. We have big problems from defending set pieces, needs to be sorted ASAP. Gregg seemed to have no confidence, he was very poor all night i thought, for a guy his size he needs to be dominating his area a whole lot better.

Still can't figure out how Conor Murphy didn't score that header to put us 2-1 up? We were in complete control of the game at that stage and it looked like we were going to push on more.

Very dissapointed with the result i have to be honest.

lowflyingseagul
03/04/2011, 12:16 PM
i thought the derry no.11 ran the game for them , gregg's positioning was poor for a lot of the game , didn't look sure of himself

superfrank
03/04/2011, 1:58 PM
A lot of the time, the lads didn't seem to know what to do with the ball and we didn't threaten their goal enough. We had so much of the ball in the second half but we created so little. That was our main problem.

The miss was amazing but I wouldn't be too hard on Murphy. From what I saw, the ball hit the side of his forehead.

Gregg was poor for the first goal. The header went right across him, he should have moved a lot better. For the second, it was a powerful header and he was running the other way. He does need to come for crosses more often, though. On Friday night's evidence, the defence can't deal with balls into the box.

Seagull
03/04/2011, 2:20 PM
From what I saw, the ball hit the side of his forehead.

A bit like Chris Kamara's "Kevin Davies just got the flick with the corner of his head." :D