Shane Cusack (Sub)
Stephen McGann (Sub)
Sean O'Connor (Sub)
Stephen O'Flynn (Sub)
David O'Leary (Sub)

no o' flynn :confused: joke

ped_ped
01/04/2011, 7:51 PM
Limerick seem to be doing well so far, according to Extratime.ie - playing a pressing game, closing down well. Being able to unleash O'Flynn in the second half instead may prove a clever piece of team selection by Scully.

Monkfish
01/04/2011, 8:07 PM
Being able to unleash O'Flynn in the second half instead may prove a clever piece of team selection by Scully.

We'll be 1 down. He'll be put on with 10 mins to go and jog around in a circle for 2 of those 10.........God I hope im wrong!

So far so good, just need to rattle the net.

thomas72
01/04/2011, 8:17 PM
Limerick should have taken the lead at the other end. Shane Tracy swung in a lovely corner which fell to Pat Purcell who somehow hit it over the bar from 2 yards out in front of an open goal. What a miss. Well, in fairness to Purcell, he is a centre back.

thomas72
01/04/2011, 8:49 PM
1-0 to Shels hughes on 86min

1-1 quiinn 90mins :)

Monkfish
01/04/2011, 8:51 PM
1-0 to Shels hughes on 86min

1-1 quiinn 90mins :)

1-1 whats the issue here?

Monkfish
01/04/2011, 8:53 PM
leave up your original post tommy boy!!!!

Negativity will be the death of us all!

thomas72
01/04/2011, 8:56 PM
come on ye all would of agreed with me :)

Monkfish
01/04/2011, 8:59 PM

Not at all.........o'flynns contribution was another booking btw

abbeyvale
01/04/2011, 10:04 PM
Table inc Fri 01/04/11 results
Shels 1-1 LFC
Cork 2-2 Monaghan
Wex Youths 3-5 Mervue

1 Shelbourne 4 3 1 0 9 / 5 10
2 Cork City 5 2 3 0 5 / 3 9
3 Monaghan United 4 2 2 0 9 / 4 8
4 Limerick 5 2 2 1 7 / 4 8
5 Mervue United 5 2 1 2 10 / 9 7
6 Longford Town 4 2 0 2 5 / 4 6
7 Waterford United 3 1 1 1 1 / 2 4
8 Athlone Town 3 0 3 0 1 / 1 3
9 Finn Harps 3 0 2 1 4 / 5 2
10 Salthill Devon 4 0 1 3 2 / 9 1
11 Wexford Youths 4 0 0 4 5 / 12 0

abbeyvale
01/04/2011, 10:17 PM
Match report

http://www.extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/5327

jaorta
01/04/2011, 10:33 PM

A lot of your observations seem to be direct quotes from extra time .ie tommy boy

thomas72
01/04/2011, 11:12 PM
YEs they were indeed I paste them from there

fc hammer
01/04/2011, 11:37 PM
Leave Thommo alone, he's a legend . I,d say he had a few bob on the draw.

Jofspring
02/04/2011, 12:28 AM
Limerick dominated the first half, Shels the second half. Ref was a joke as usual, crazy bookings for little or nothing and not one Shels player booked. A free against O'Flynn for standing waiting for the ball and flicking it on, the Shels player running into the back of O'Flynn, bounced off him and won a free out, crazy stuff to be honest.

Would have been harsh to come away with nothing tonight.

I know Quinn got the winner but thought he should have been off the field not Hynes. Hynes had good work rate again tonight and was always getting involved. Quinn just put the head down any time a Limerick player wanted him to get involved. He wants the ball to his feet and if he doesn't get that he ain't interested. Took his goal well though in fairness. Also didn't think Breen should have come off for O Connor (who had only maybe 3 touches when he came on but managed to have a cracking shot saved by Delaney). All in all I think we where fairly solid at the back, 100 times better in the full back positions. Shels looked very average in the first half, better in the second half but certainly not as far better than the other teams as I thought they where going to be. Waterford, Cork, Monaghan and Finn Harps could all cause them trouble.

edit: just like to add that Peter White did a decent job in a defensive midfield role. He hadn't much going forward but was effective (especially in the first half) of breaking up play.

Lim till i die
02/04/2011, 12:46 AM
o'flynns contribution was another booking btw

In fairness the ref was terrible and Stevo made a noticable difference when he came on (should have scored from one chance mind) he absolutely scares the bejaysus out of them.

Very harsh on Hynes to be taken off for him, the way the game was going with us humping it more and more I would have pulled Breen off and stuck Hynes out the wing up against their tiny left full. Paudie Quinn can go 70 minutes at a time with out trying a leg but had the bit of quality at the end to take his chance. Draw was a fair result at the end we absolutely dominated them in the first half, played like clowns for a bit of the second, but overall if we'd won it wouldnt have been robbery.

Some random thoughts:

John Frost rock solid, brilliant.

Corey Tracy looks the real deal at right full.

Paddy Purcell IMMENSE.

Brian McCarthy got rolled far too easily for the goal but overall had a much improved night. (gave me a fuppin heart attack about thirty seconds after their goal when he tried to kick Philly Hughes head clean off his shoulders!!)

Still not sure if Peter White is a midfielder, did a destroyer type role grand in the first half though I suppose.

Another brilliant shift put in by Peter Hynes, was very unlucky not to score an absolute screamer in the first half, the pleasant surprise of the season so far.

Those officials today were SHOCKING, even by the usual standards.

Lot of Shels fans complaining about how big and physical Limerick are. :D John Frost, Jeffrey Judge, Chris Breen, Paudie Quinn, Shane Tracy and Dave O'Leary off the bench, all GIANTS. :D

Shels nowhere near as good as I thought they'd be, or indeed they should be.

dutchie
02/04/2011, 1:11 AM
Where was Garvan Coughlan tonight

gael353
02/04/2011, 1:20 AM
irish under 18s international me thinks

osarusan
02/04/2011, 6:48 AM
Lovely stuff.

Jofspring
02/04/2011, 10:18 AM
From what we've seen so far there isn't much between ourselves and Cork or Shels. They may not have been performing as well as they can but neither have we. We came through some tough games pretty well that we where dreading when O'Flynn got suspended and Sheehan injured.

If we can keep it up and improve our performances in front of goals a small bit then hopefully when Gary returns we will be in a very good position to push on for the last leg of the season.

Wexford, Mervue and Athlone are games we need to be looking for maximum points from if we want to really keep the push for promotion on. Mervue have improved a lot and our record in Galway isn't great but we have to go up there looking for maximum points. Wexford have had an awful start and Athlone are going to be very hard to break down but we still should come through with a wn. We would be set up nicely then for the last two games of the first series against Monaghan (A) and Waterford (H).

bluewhitearmy
02/04/2011, 10:27 AM
I think Peter White playing in midfield was a big part of why we played better lastnight then we have teh 4 games before it...He isnt the best going forward but he doesnt need to be his job is to break things up and he did that brilliantly 1st half after that all he needs to do is give it to one of the forward lads id definitely keep him in there.

What a differene from last year with the full backs Frost and Tracy looking very good ....Both solid at the back and helped he winger out with runs all night Corey well able to take people on.

I couldnt understand why we signed Peter Hynes but he has really surprised me has been our best player so far and was our best player lastnight imo.

I think everyone played well last- night except maybe Quinn but then he got the goal at the end so ill forgive him for the poor performance.

O'Flynn needs to cop on after a stupid sending off 1st game the season he gets booked lastnight for having a go at the ref.

Lim till i die
02/04/2011, 3:50 PM
Forgot to say last night aswell, but will say it here because we're quick enough to give out when things go wrong but massive credit should go to Pat Scully for the result and performance last night, the main reason for our domination over long periods was the relentless closing down of the opposition all over the pitch and Scully spent hours upon hours drilling that into the team in pre season, Shels didn't have room to fart in the first half.

bluewhitearmy
02/04/2011, 4:15 PM
Forgot to say last night aswell, but will say it here because we're quick enough to give out when things go wrong but massive credit should go to Pat Scully for the result and performance last night, the main reason for our domination over long periods was the relentless closing down of the opposition all over the pitch and Scully spent hours upon hours drilling that into the team in pre season, Shels didn't have room to fart in the first half.

Have to give him ceredit too for bringing Peter White in really gave us what we needed in the middle the tough fella to break things up.

fc hammer
03/04/2011, 12:40 AM

Well said kid, Scully will get us there this season. Looking good for our return home .

limunlim
03/04/2011, 8:01 AM
Good point up in Dublin. Sounds like we were vastly improved on the first few games. Hopefully we kick on from here

bluewhitearmy
03/04/2011, 1:04 PM
Next 3 games are very winnable if we play well but if we took 7 from teh 3 then we would be in a nice position going into games against Monaghan and Wateford. Still wont really fancy chances of going up until we finally beat someone that will be up around us...Have to beat either Monaghan or Waterford.

Wexford (H) Win
Mervue (A) Draw
Athlone (H) win

Surely we could get that .

thomas72
03/04/2011, 1:18 PM
Next 3 games are very winnable if we play well but if we took 7 from teh 3 then we would be in a nice position going into games against Monaghan and Wateford. Still wont really fancy chances of going up until we finally beat someone that will be up around us...Have to beat either Monaghan or Waterford.

Wexford (H) Win
Mervue (A) Draw Athlone (H) win

Surely we could get that .

ah stop pal if we are serious about going up then we need 9pts from them games been happy with a draw away to the all mighty mervue is not good enough

bluewhitearmy
03/04/2011, 2:04 PM
ah stop pal if we are serious about going up then we need 9pts from them games been happy with a draw away to the all mighty mervue is not good enough

Mervue are far far better then they were last year Cork drew with them and Shels barely beat them in Fahys Field....Anyone that goes to Fahys Field will find it tough this year.

In Rory Gaffney they have one of the best strikers in the 1st division hes too good for the 1st division actually.

Just thinking oh Mervue were **** last year we should be beating them isnt how it works.....Id be happy enough with a point there but if you read the very first thing i said in my post it was that all 3 are winnable. If we play the way we played 1st half in Shels in these 3 games though i think we will get 9 points.

jafrazer
03/04/2011, 7:43 PM
2011.04.01 - Shels v Limerick - HD Highlights

http://vimeo.com/21877562

bluewhitearmy
03/04/2011, 8:10 PM
thought it on the night and do even more after the highlights Barry Ryan could have done way better for that goal.

Jofspring
03/04/2011, 8:43 PM
thought it on the night and do even more after the highlights Barry Ryan could have done way better for that goal.

Very similar to the Cork goal. Player comes in on Barry's near post and drives it low and hard into the bottom corner. He really should have had that covered. He also pulled off a great save before that though. Great save by Delaney from Quinns header.

bluewhitearmy
03/04/2011, 9:00 PM
I think id prefer Dave to Barry just dont trust Barry much for some reason.

dutchie
04/04/2011, 10:49 AM
Great result in Dublin and hopefully kick-start campaign and it might quieten the sky sports junkies who were looking for Scullys head a week ago!!!

LK37oldskool
04/04/2011, 12:19 PM
Scully will be judged on results and so far things are going well.As supporters we're all entitled to our opinions and many on here were justified in questioning Scullys team selection.The next 3 games are critical for our season as we can kick things off from here after playing probably the 3 hardest away games in the division. Well done to the team for Fridays result.

bluewhitearmy
04/04/2011, 2:17 PM
If we beat Wexford Friday then after 6 games we will have a 100% home record and have only lost one of possibly the three hardest away games in the division...Id have taken that at the start of teh season.

Still need to beat one of the teasm that will be around us the siiner taht happens the better.

gspain
04/04/2011, 2:52 PM
Waterford and Monaghan will be tougher away games than Finn Harps unless by hard you mean physical tough team.

We need to win our next 3 league games. I wouldn't take a draw in any of them now.

We're 5th in the table and 2 of the 4 above us (Shels and Monaghan) have had their free week. Waterford are a point behind with a
game in hand. From that perspective we haven't actually started too well but the point last friday will also give great confidence.

Winning games against the teams you'd expect to be in the bottom half rather than drawing them is huge. Cork have already drawn with Mervue and Athlone while Waterford also drew with Athlone. I'd consider all of them to be great news for us so we need to take advantage by winning these games. None of them
will be easy. Wexford will be smarting from losing to Mervue. Mervue away will be very tough and Athlone will be tougher opponeents for us than anyone else but these are must win games.

da bishop
04/04/2011, 11:23 PM
great result v shels,sets us up nicely for those next three games where no doubt scully will target the 9 pts.