PDA

View Full Version : LOI International Prospects . . .

ped_ped
01/04/2011, 5:54 PM
Okay, that's effectively an oxymoron at the moment, but I'm interested in what you guys think about this.

Are there any League of Ireland players that you think would have potential as internationals, were the stigma associated with playing in the league removed?

I assume the full-back berth and particularly midfield'll dominate this, but either way . . . suggestions?

paul_oshea
01/04/2011, 7:56 PM
i think its more about the quality than the dearth of options we have at full back or midfield as in lack if quality in those positions at international level

Stuttgart88
01/04/2011, 8:15 PM
I think the question should be framed differently. In light of the recent Seamus Coleman quote, highlighting how just training with Everton has made him a better player, should the question not be "which LOI players are capable of making the step up to international level, given the right environment?"

Charlie Darwin
01/04/2011, 8:17 PM
I don't think anybody currently playing could go straight into the national set-up.

They'd need to prove themselves at a higher level, whether it's in England or with an Irish team in European competition. Mostly players from the two Rovers, you'd think - players like Kilduff, Sheppard, Greene. Richie Ryan's probably a bit old. Dave McMillan maybe. Jake Kelly. Some of the Bohs youngsters look very promising. Danny Kearns is probably the most likely to actually be capped for Ireland but I don't think he'll do it while in the LOI.

SkStu
01/04/2011, 8:25 PM
I don't think anybody currently playing could go straight into the national set-up.

agree with this.

There are players that could move to Premiership or Championship and work their way there but the days of calls to the national squad ended with Glen Crowe and Jason Byrne. I think, with my Bohs goggles welded firmly in place, that Brian Murphy could and should have played for Ireland while at Bohs.

Charlie Darwin
01/04/2011, 8:52 PM
I agree with could but not should. We've been pretty well-covered for goalkeepers the last few years. Mannus, on the other hand, I think has been the second-best NI goalkeeper for a few years and should have a lot more caps under his belt. And Murphy is better than him.

SkStu
01/04/2011, 9:00 PM
I agree with could but not should..

with my Bohs goggles welded firmly in place

:D :D my disclaimer

peadar1987
02/04/2011, 1:01 AM
Anybody know how Conor Powell is getting on?

tetsujin1979
02/04/2011, 1:54 AM
Anybody know how Conor Powell is getting on?
three appearances on the subs bench to date: http://irish-abroad.appspot.com/PlayerDetails?playerID=55020
although he is a regular fixture in the reserve side, and is in the squad for their next game against Sheffield Wednesday: http://www.cu-fc.com/page/News/0,,10424~2328867,00.html

Colbert Report
02/04/2011, 3:21 AM
Clearly this thread is just an April Fool's joke...

Stuttgart88
02/04/2011, 8:30 AM
I think, with my Bohs goggles welded firmly in place, that Brian Murphy could and should have played for Ireland while at Bohs.Did anybody worse than him play GK for Ireland at the time?