PDA

View Full Version : Senior Squad Strength

tetsujin1979
31/03/2011, 3:09 PM
with 2 months, more or less, before the next senior game against the North, this is how the available players for the squad in each position looks to me, in the order of selection for the position*

Given
Westwood
Joe Murphy
Brian Murphy
Randolph
Forde

O'Shea Dunne St Ledger Kilbane
Foley O'Shea Wilson O'Shea
Coleman Kelly O'Dea Clark
Kelly Joey O'Brien Bruce Cunningham
Delaney

McGeady Whelan Fahey Duff
Duff McCarthy Andrews McGeady
Lawrence Green Gibson Stephen Hunt
Coleman Hoolahan Treacy
Keogh

Keane Doyle
Long Walters
Stokes Best
Noel Hunt Keogh
Folan

First thing to note is the regular Premier League player Seamus Coleman still isn't close to a first team player for me, assuming everyone is fit and available and, for now, I really only see him as a Stephen Hunt type impact player on the right wing

With the addition of McCarthy, and the return of Andrews, there is now genuine competition in almost every position, which is no bad thing. Coming into the final set of qualifiers in the autumn, less and less positions in the squad will be available, and even moreso for the starting XI. All of which benefits us as fans, as players up their game to keep their spot in the team.

With any luck the summer games in the States will add at least 2 players to the list as squad candidates, and things will be looking up come September.

*obviously players appearing twice or more on the list because they can play in multiple positions.

paul_oshea
31/03/2011, 3:12 PM
Interesting....

, there is now genuine competition in almost every position

Yes there is, not that some of it is any good though.

AlaskaFox
31/03/2011, 3:54 PM
Good stuff Tets, but you forgot Meyler. Surely he'll be in contention when he's back.

ifk101
31/03/2011, 4:02 PM
I'd imagine Cillian Sheridan would be ahead of Noel Hunt in Trapattoni's thoughts.

tetsujin1979
31/03/2011, 4:06 PM
Good stuff Tets, but you forgot Meyler. Surely he'll be in contention when he's back.
Yeah, I left him out because I don't think he'll be in contention for the Celtic Nations Cup games, or the qualifier in June.
Also Ward, McCann, and possibly Clarke

tetsujin1979
31/03/2011, 4:07 PM
I'd imagine Cillian Sheridan would be ahead of Noel Hunt in Trapattoni's thoughts.
maybe, but both are sixth choice at best for a squad position behind Keane, Doyle, Long, Best, Walters and Stokes. Maybe even behind Keogh

gustavo
01/04/2011, 10:33 AM
You could have Fahey on the left wing too

ifk101
01/04/2011, 10:51 AM
If McShane had of been available for the Macedonia game, he probably would have started ahead of O'Dea in the center. Prior to the Macedonia game he arguably was also ahead of Foley in preference for the RB position.

Stuttgart88
01/04/2011, 11:44 AM
I think it's a bit odd to see Joey O'Brien in as a CB, where he has only played on a makeshift basis. CM or RB are probably his best positions, and this all assumes he ever gets his career on track again anyway.

I think Marc Wilson should be in as a CM.

Keogh as a LHM? Yikes.

Only a B+ for this effort Tets :)

Kingdom
01/04/2011, 11:57 AM
Would Duffy be more of a candidate for CB than Bruce?

Predator
01/04/2011, 1:10 PM
This loan move is a real test for Duffy. It's a testament to his ability and potential that a Championship club like Burnley, who are pushing for promotion, were willing to loan him at such a crucial stage, especially when you consider that all our other U21 defenders are on loan at League 2 or Scottish clubs. Although Trap was impressed by Duffy at the training camp in May, Duffy's inclusion ahead of Bruce should really depend on how he gets on playing competitive first team football.

tetsujin1979
01/04/2011, 1:37 PM
I think it's a bit odd to see Joey O'Brien in as a CB, where he has only played on a makeshift basis. CM or RB are probably his best positions, and this all assumes he ever gets his career on track again anyway.

I think Marc Wilson should be in as a CM.

Keogh as a LHM? Yikes.

Only a B+ for this effort Tets :)
He's been played there, honestly I think that's the way Trapattoni looks at it

Would Duffy be more of a candidate for CB than Bruce?
If we're that far down the choices, the order really starts to become irrelevant

Murfinator
01/04/2011, 2:10 PM
We've got good depth now, when you consider the likes of Andy Reid, Steven Reid, Stephen Ireland, Rory Delap, Stephen Ward all out of the picture and the likes of Shane Ferguson, Pennant an O'Hara potentially coming in its a very deep pool. Not to mention others like McShane who could become good one day.

I don't really worry anymore about losing key players to injury, partly because the replacements have got so much better but also our key players (keane, given) have got so much weaker.

Fixer82
01/04/2011, 2:14 PM
What about big old Paddy Kenny?

passinginterest
01/04/2011, 2:19 PM
Yeah, I left him out because I don't think he'll be in contention for the Celtic Nations Cup games, or the qualifier in June.
Also Ward, McCann, and possibly Clarke

According to Meyler's twitter he's back doing a bit of running and chomping at the bit to get back playing. It wouldn't surprise me if he's back for the last few weeks of the season. Hopefully he'll have learned to be a bit more patient this time (and his manager in particular will have learned not to push him/let him push himself too hard). He really looks like the complete defensive midfielder that the squad is crying out for so we'll all say a few Hail Mary's or something.

rossi_eire
01/04/2011, 3:45 PM
tets post shows that the future is relatively bright but P_oshea does have a point especially when you look at our soft centre in midfield which undermines our strengths and ability to be adventurous in other areas of the field. Trap's unwillingness to experiment with a 3 man midfield etc.. is directly linked to a dearth of talent in CM.

GM was out of sorts against the technically superior Macedonians while KA has had a miserable injury plagued season at Blackburn both on and off the field. DG has ability but currently lacks the application and nous to influence an important game while neither JmcC nor KF were given the expected full 90mins v Uruguay which IMO shows that in the short/medium term trap does not see either as realistic options for CM (McCarthy was AM).

Like passinginterest I sincerely hope Meyler does fulfill his early potential......... and ignoring O'Hara's pleas for us to embarrass ourselves in trying to 'win' his conditional allegiance..... our CM continues to be the major source of concern for our progress.

gastric
01/04/2011, 9:36 PM
On the subject of Joey O'Brien, he is certainly a midfielder. Before his last injury, he was starting in that position for Bolton and I believe this is his chosen position. When he was on loan at Wednesday he played in midfield and excelled for them.

Crosby87
01/04/2011, 10:11 PM
Wonder if Folan will ever end up playing in Green again.

Stuttgart88
02/04/2011, 8:35 AM
Hard to see it. We're well served for the "old fashioned number 9" role now with Best & Walters able to do what he did.

The clips of Cillian Sheridan scoring goals in Bulgaria seemed to dry up. Is he even starting these days?

AlaskaFox
02/04/2011, 10:20 AM
He started last night in a 2-0 win over Sliven. The other striker got both goals though. His second start in a row, although he was taken off near the end of both games. He usually comes off the bench too, so the manager must like him. Hasn't scored in 2011 though.

Crosby87
02/04/2011, 11:35 AM
I wonder if Indi Cowie has Irish blood. Scottish born American raised....and yes I am serious. She could be our answer in midfield.
Watch on youtube if you dont know who she is.

geysir
02/04/2011, 11:35 AM
Good work Tets.
I think Westwood will be in the pole position to start the game against the North.

BonnieShels
02/04/2011, 12:04 PM
Good work Tets.
I think Westwood will be in the pole position to start the game against the North.

That spelling mistake is subtlety genius.

gastric
02/04/2011, 10:00 PM
Joey O'Brien and John Joe O'Toole both only made the bench in the Wednesday vs. Colchester game today and did not come on.
O'Toole I believe still has the goods to become a top class player, but only time will tell. He would be another welcome addition to our midfield.

Crosby87
06/05/2011, 11:48 AM
Folan back in the squad despite being 5th at his position, on Tets vaunted Depth charts.

tetsujin1979
06/05/2011, 3:33 PM
Folan back in the squad despite being 5th at his position, on Tets vaunted Depth charts.
he's probably 4th choice target man, behind Doyle, Walters and Best. Best and Doyle are out, so he's called up. Not that surprising to be honest.

Crosby87
07/05/2011, 12:21 PM
Oh I know. I was only kidding. You should update these from time to time I find it interesting.
Things change so quickly. Honestly Not one person thought someone like Foaln might play again in green this soon off of 2 goals in a horrible league that gets lower TV ratings than "Say Yes to The Dress" on TLC.

SkStu
07/05/2011, 3:04 PM
Oh I know. I was only kidding. You should update these from time to time I find it interesting.
Things change so quickly. Honestly Not one person thought someone like Foaln might play again in green this soon off of 2 goals in a horrible league that gets lower TV ratings than "Say Yes to The Dress" on TLC.

my impending wedding means i have had no choice in contributing to that statistic. :)