PDA

View Full Version : O'Flynn for Notts County?

tiktok
07/06/2004, 2:12 PM
eleven-a-side (http://www.eleven-a-side.com/premier/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=11820)

I remember he said a while back that it'd take at least a decent first division team to get him to move.

Was that bullsh!t or does he think that he's got a better chance of being involved in the Irish set-up at a third rate english outfit than he does playing LOI.

Won't be happy if he ends up leaving on a bosman to a nothing club :mad:

Plastic Paddy
07/06/2004, 2:21 PM
Won't be happy if he ends up leaving on a bosman to a nothing club :mad:

Couldn't agree more. It would show a distinct lack of ambition on JO'F's part were he to join County or any team at a similar level. That said, if he does move back to England and that's the level to which he moves, it would knock quite a hole in the arguments of those pushing for him to win a senior cap, no?

:confused: PP

adamcarr
07/06/2004, 2:23 PM
Absolutely shocked with the news. The EL is better then the third division! :mad: And JOF is much better than thethird division! :mad:

kevincronin2000
07/06/2004, 3:09 PM
Has yet to prove himself this season. Still not back to his best. Cant see someone buying him untill he finds top form again.

drinkfeckarse
07/06/2004, 3:25 PM
Don't know Kev, I'd say there'd be plenty of takers for a talent like that regardless of what kinda season he has this year.

C'mon City
07/06/2004, 4:03 PM
he is way to good for the 3rd div in england.with the irish U21s last year he shone with the likes of andy reid who is now being tipped for a big money move to the premiership.in my opinion it is a big step bag for him if he leaves

C'mon City
07/06/2004, 4:04 PM
"step back" i mean

Ruairi
07/06/2004, 4:07 PM
it's a load of horse sh!te i'd say.

p.s. use the edit function c'mon city

cookie
07/06/2004, 4:15 PM
Has yet to prove himself this season. Still not back to his best. Cant see someone buying him untill he finds top form again.

there not buying him he's going on the free transfer.

i was talkin to him and he's dying to go back to england....3rd division or not.

Colm
07/06/2004, 5:13 PM
I'd say there's about as much truth in this story as there was in the 'Liam Kerney to Fulham' story a few months ago.
Flynny aint going nowhere, least of all to a second or third division club where he'd earn less money and play at a far inferior level.

A face
07/06/2004, 5:51 PM
I'd say there's about as much truth in this story as there was in the 'Liam Kerney to Fulham' story a few months ago.
Flynny aint going nowhere, least of all to a second or third division club where he'd earn less money and play at a far inferior level.

I'd say the same .... all up in the air ... if it sells papers then fair enough !!

Pablo
07/06/2004, 5:54 PM
City should extend his contract before a free transfer becomes an issue.......

A face
07/06/2004, 6:12 PM
City should extend his contract before a free transfer becomes an issue.......

And if he doesn't extend it ... put him on the bench and play a player who will stay with City. Simple as !!

jofyisgod
07/06/2004, 6:29 PM
And if he doesn't extend it ... put him on the bench and play a player who will stay with City. Simple as !!

Fairly harsh A Face, but tbh, probably the best thing to do.

We've all heard these rumours before, and they've never been for real. What's the difference with this one? Why would JOF join a small club, who are going nowhere, whn he's at the biggest club in his country, being watched by Brian Kerr, and getting a good wage?

I'd be suprised if it happens.

jmc105
07/06/2004, 6:42 PM
hope that this is all a load of ball ox, but does anyone know the rules for compensation when a player leaves on a bosman? is jof too old for city to get anything for him that way?

jofyisgod
07/06/2004, 6:46 PM
AFAIK, correct me if i'm wrong, the age for compo is 21. With any Bosmans over that age, no money will change hands at all. If anyone sees him over the next few days (the $h€l$ game?) ask him about it. He must have an answer...

Twould be a ****** if he left... :mad:

Plastic Paddy
07/06/2004, 6:50 PM
Why would JOF join a small club, who are going nowhere, whn he's at the biggest club in his country, being watched by Brian Kerr, and getting a good wage?

I'd be suprised if it happens.

To be honest - and I know I'm setting myself up here - Notts County are a bigger club than Cork City. They play in a 20,000 all-seater stadium and attract an average following of around 8,000. If what you all, as regular eL followers, claim is true (I have no reason to disbelieve you), the standard of football Cork play is higher. That, apart from the possibility of preliminary-round European competition, is all.

I'm playing devil's advocate here, but they are pretty compelling statistics for him to consider if he is bent on a move back to England.

:) PP

jmc105
07/06/2004, 6:56 PM
to be honest if jof hadn't done his knee last year i don't think he'd be here now. provided he gets back to the levels he was at before that injury, he's capable of playing at the very top.
city signed him on a free and he's always given everything for us so if he does go, even for nothing, best of luck to him. hope he hangs around another while tho!

Gary
07/06/2004, 7:57 PM
I too have heard that he is very interested in a move back to England, though QPR were the team I had heard. I know a guy who is in regular contact with him.

There is never smoke without fire. Hope its not true. Time will tell.

TonyD
07/06/2004, 8:28 PM
Sad but true, I don't think there is any EL player who would turn down a move to England, at whatever level. You can make all the arguments you want about the standard of EL vs lower English leagues, but the bottom line is that that is where players want to be. Remember Colin Hawkins going to Doncaster, a non league club, from Pats. (And before anyone is tempted to make any smart remarks, remember Pats had just won the league twice on the trot)

Gary
07/06/2004, 8:32 PM
Hmm, thing about Hawkins is that he is Doncasters worst ever XI. I a few of their fanzines, and they rip him to shreds everytime.

So lets not use him as an example shall we??

tiktok
07/06/2004, 8:33 PM
....the rules for compensation when a player leaves on a bosman? is jof too old for city to get anything for him that way?...

There's a few things here.

1. He wouldn't be able to play for Notts county until the start of their transfer window, which would be Jan '05.
2. FIFA determine that the 'training period' is from the ages of 16 to 21. Flynny is now 21, having joined us at 19.
3. You're entitled to compensation if the player leaves before his 23rd birthday (which will not have come around before the end of the year), and due to point 2, CCFC had him on contract for two years during the training period so should be due a % of any follow on transfer fee (as is my understanding, although I may have picked up on this incorrectly).

Colm
07/06/2004, 10:48 PM
Notts County are a bigger club than Cork City.

:rolleyes: :D :rolleyes: :D

Yeah spot on. We only want players who have serious ambition and actually want to play for City. However, I'm sure Flynny does have that ambition and wants to play for the biggest club in Ireland rather than move to some nothing team in England. I still maintain that this story is a load of crap.

pete
08/06/2004, 9:23 AM
Be very surprised to see it happen but lets face it City don't rely on O'Flynn as much as last year which is all part of building a professional club. Even Brian Kerr has mentioned him for possible Ireland callup.

Didn't like the snide comment in aticle about making it as "a professional in england" as if to suggest he not doing that already in Ireland.

Plastic Paddy
08/06/2004, 9:26 AM
:rolleyes: :D :rolleyes: :D

Scoff all you like, Colm. The facts are as I outlined them earlier, like it or not.

:ball: PP

b_mcsweeney
08/06/2004, 11:10 AM
read this yesterday, there were no quotes in the article, i'd say it was a question of pick a player and a club to make a story. it could be jason byrne to huddersfield next week or georgie to dundee.

i particularly liked the way they intimated that JOF was a natural replacement at county as they were set to lose paul heffernan, who's irish. of course, they had one irish striker who did well, so they'll naturally get another one to replace him. its perfectly logical that.

anyway, if JOF decides to go (to notts county or somewhere else) i reckon we'll wish him well and deal with it when it happens. as mentioned above, his contract doesn't expire until january, so there's plenty time yet. we should all be more worried about that yoghurt we have thats about to expire

pete
08/06/2004, 11:35 AM
we should all be more worried about that yoghurt we have thats about to expire

phew almost forgot...cheers for the reminder...

:)

niamh
08/06/2004, 11:50 AM
This might have been a disasterous rumour in the past, however City have shown this year that we can cope with JOF with Doyle, George and Fenn.
We have heard talk after talk about John and he is still at City. His contract should be extended - leaving for free would be the worse case scenario - but I'd be disappointed if it was to Notts County.

adamcarr
08/06/2004, 12:29 PM
Are Notts County not Englands oldest club? :confused:

eoinh
08/06/2004, 12:50 PM
There's a few things here.

1. He wouldn't be able to play for Notts county until the start of their transfer window, which would be Jan '05.

Im afraid he would be able to move before that. Out of contract players can move anytime of the year. Transfer windows only relate to incontract players. :(

wiseman
08/06/2004, 12:57 PM
While Notts Co. may "only" be 3rd div., that does not mean that JOF sees himself as 3rd div.. While Kerr may be looking at him while he plays for City, playing in Engerland will bring him to the attention of English club managers. There is always a chance of a manager moving up a div., from a team JOF has played against and buying him for his new team. Basically a move to Engerland gives more oppurtunity of being noticed at club level than the EL, despite our standard of football/wages being higher than Div.3.

paudie
08/06/2004, 1:02 PM
Are Notts County not Englands oldest club? :confused:

They're the oldest league club anyway. Formed in 1863 I think.

tiktok
08/06/2004, 1:03 PM
There may be something in that Wiseman, the player that he would be perceived as being a replacement for is another young Irish lad who scored 20 of Notts County's paltry 50 goals last season and he's attracted interest from first division and premiership outfits.
Flynny might be eyeing the same path.

jofyisgod
08/06/2004, 7:38 PM
Well, Flynny has just scored in the $h€l$ game.

I don't think that anyone could argue that Notts County are a bigger club than us. Why does this stupid argument get brought up all the time anyway.
I don't care if Inverness or York, etc. are bigger clubs than us, i support City and eL, and i think that the move would be a step down.
The easiest way of putting it is that here, he's top of the pile, well respected and idolised in Cork. Over there, he'd be another nobody trying to make it.
It all depends on his passion for City. If he really wants to go, he will go, to any club, IMO.

Ball is in his half...