PDA

View Full Version : Classic Irish YouTube Clips

EastTerracer
30/03/2011, 9:25 PM
Mods, there may be a better place for this so feel free to merge if there is an existing thread.

Just back in New York after the two games in Dublin. As I promised some of you I delved into the video collection when I was home. I didn't have time to download very much but have a few pieces which I'll add to youtube over the next few days.

Almost everything is from 1986-1996 (the Charlton decade) but I found some bizarre stuff starting with this - the RTE news report on Frank Stapleton's decision to retire from International Football in September 1990. The report includes Frank's goals against Germany in 1989 and Malta in 1983 (not the 1990 one as Colm Murray claims). The pitch in Malta was shocking.....

cXmIHtHZke4

DannyInvincible
30/03/2011, 9:29 PM
The pitch in Malta was shocking.....

Ahead of their time with the illuminous ball though.

Noelys Guitar
30/03/2011, 9:49 PM
Mods, there may be a better place for this so feel free to merge if there is an existing thread.

Just back in New York after the two games in Dublin. As I promised some of you I delved into the video collection when I was home. I didn't have time to download very much but have a few pieces which I'll add to youtube over the next few days.

Almost everything is from 1986-1996 (the Charlton decade) but I found some bizarre stuff starting with this - the RTE news report on Frank Stapleton's decision to retire from International Football in September 1990. The report includes Frank's goals against Germany in 1989 and Malta in 1983 (not the 1990 one as Colm Murray claims). The pitch in Malta was shocking.....

cXmIHtHZke4

I can remember people jumping out of their cars in Rathmines (myself included)when Stapleton scored in the last minute in Malta. The match was only covered live on the radio with RTE showing the highlights the following Saturday. Great Stuff EastTerracer. I had already booked for the Spain away game in Zaragoza and it would have been a meaningless game for us regards qualifying without Stapo's goal.

EastTerracer
30/03/2011, 10:12 PM
This clip shows the goals from Wales v Ireland in February 1991 (about 8 weeks before the 1-1 draw in Wembley). Two goals for Niall Quinn and one for John Byrne.

There is no way this game would be played today given the icy pitch conditions. The only reason it went ahead at the time was due to the large number of traveling supporters on the day - I went over on the Holyhead ferry that morning and came back overnight afterwards - a long and tiring day;)

xlblQyO1WPs

Fergie's Son
30/03/2011, 11:39 PM
Gread finds! Can't believe they played on either the pitch in Matla or Wales.

SkStu
31/03/2011, 12:20 AM
This clip shows the goals from Wales v Ireland in February 1991 (about 8 weeks before the 1-1 draw in Wembley). Two goals for Niall Quinn and one for John Byrne.

There is no way this game would be played today given the icy pitch conditions. The only reason it went ahead at the time was due to the large number of traveling supporters on the day - I went over on the Holyhead ferry that morning and came back overnight afterwards - a long and tiring day;)

i remember some Wales player coming on as a sub in that game, runs on and goes straight on his arse. Gave a 13 year old spanner like me a great laugh! :D

EastTerracer
31/03/2011, 12:22 AM
i remember some Wales player coming on as a sub in that game, runs on and goes straight on his arse. Gave a 13 year old spanner like me a great laugh! :D

I remember Giles describing the Welsh centre-back Eric Young as being"like Bambi on ice" as his legs kept going from under him. Even watching that clip again there is one moment where Alan McLoughlin almost falls over backwards as he tries to run.

boovidge
31/03/2011, 1:45 AM
a sticky with all the ireland videos on youtube from past campaigns would be great. i think there are a few gems on there.

tricky_colour
31/03/2011, 2:07 AM

xlblQyO1WPs

The headed goal reminds me a bit of Shane Lon'gs the other day, as in with it being a high jump.

Supreme feet
31/03/2011, 2:08 AM
It's a pity the FAI don't do what the English FA did and set up an official Youtube channel, with official highlights and archive bits from past campaigns. It wouldn't be of any commercial loss to the FAI, as the older DVDs and videos (Rising Sons, Road to Asia, The Charlton Years, Road to America, etc) are surely out of circulation by now.

cornflakes
31/03/2011, 8:44 AM
the older DVDs and videos (Rising Sons, Road to Asia, The Charlton Years, Road to America, etc) are surely out of circulation by now.

A box set of those would be great

pineapple stu
31/03/2011, 8:46 AM
a sticky with all the ireland videos on youtube from past campaigns would be great. i think there are a few gems on there.
There is such a thread in the Fans' Forum somewhere. It's incomplete though. I'll see if I can find it and sticky it. I can't merge this with it though.

Edit - here we go (http://foot.ie/threads/64749-Ireland-on-YouTube). Maybe keep any new additions to there to keep things together?

AlaskaFox
31/03/2011, 3:13 PM
Fantastic work EastTerracer. Mind if I include them in a GreenScene post?

boovidge
31/03/2011, 3:18 PM
It's a pity the FAI don't do what the English FA did and set up an official Youtube channel, with official highlights and archive bits from past campaigns. It wouldn't be of any commercial loss to the FAI, as the older DVDs and videos (Rising Sons, Road to Asia, The Charlton Years, Road to America, etc) are surely out of circulation by now.

is the charlton years available on the internet? i have the first two on vhs and ive seen road to america.

boovidge
31/03/2011, 3:19 PM
There is such a thread in the Fans' Forum somewhere. It's incomplete though. I'll see if I can find it and sticky it. I can't merge this with it though.

Edit - here we go (http://foot.ie/threads/64749-Ireland-on-YouTube). Maybe keep any new additions to there to keep things together?

i might have a search around later to find some more of those. there must have been more added since.

theworm2345
31/03/2011, 4:13 PM
is the charlton years available on the internet? i have the first two on vhs and ive seen road to america.
There are two versions floating around, one has the audio out of sync and isn't the highest quality. I believe this one might have the audio in sync and is higher quality
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DFXDEDY0 (credit to osgood09 at FBTZ)

boovidge
31/03/2011, 4:21 PM
There are two versions floating around, one has the audio out of sync and isn't the highest quality. I believe this one might have the audio in sync and is higher quality
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DFXDEDY0

you sir, are a scholar and a gentleman.

EastTerracer
31/03/2011, 4:29 PM
Fantastic work EastTerracer. Mind if I include them in a GreenScene post?

No problem at all. I'll add a couple more tonight on the Fans Forum sticky.

AlaskaFox
31/03/2011, 5:24 PM
No problem at all. I'll add a couple more tonight on the Fans Forum sticky.

Thanks very much. Will compile it over the next few days.

EastTerracer
02/04/2011, 1:53 PM
I've transferred the clips above and added some new ones to the sticky in the fans forum here (http://foot.ie/threads/64749-Ireland-on-YouTube).

gastric
02/04/2011, 9:54 PM
Worm, Any chance of you posting your brilliant compliation of classic Irish moments to the tune of 'We didn't start the fire'. I lost it when my computer blew up and it was so good that even my kids ask where it went!

theworm2345
03/04/2011, 4:24 AM
Worm, Any chance of you posting your brilliant compliation of classic Irish moments to the tune of 'We didn't start the fire'. I lost it when my computer blew up and it was so good that even my kids ask where it went!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdnZgmwA9h4
Glad you like it...I've been thinking of updating it again as well

EastTerracer
04/04/2011, 1:07 AM
The file is too big for youtube so I've uploaded the full "Que Sera Sera" documentary at the link below. It's 90 minutes long so I've tried to keep the quality without making the file too big (704MB). Enjoy!

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=F87OQTCE

BonnieShels
04/04/2011, 7:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdnZgmwA9h4
Glad you like it...I've been thinking of updating it again as well

I never get tired of watching that video anytime one of the lads here puts it up.
Will never forget that McLoughlin goal though. I was 9 and I think that my little brother at 11 hasn't a notion of that feeling I did that night.

irishultra
05/04/2011, 10:01 PM
i love that video :D new version of that song should we quality for wc 2014...