PDA

View Full Version : Town vs Athlone

Town Legend
30/03/2011, 2:45 PM
I'm going to miss this game unfortunately. Does anyone think Gillespie will be in the first 11 or on the bench. Also if he does play will Cousins play him out wide or in the centre? I'd say Hunt will be starting in goals as Alvin seemed to be in a bit of pain with his hamstring/groin on Monday. Hoping for the 3 points but by reports of Athlone/Cork game Athlone had 10 men behind the ball for 90 mins. Going for a 2-0 win fingers crossed!!

Acornvilla
30/03/2011, 3:00 PM
I expect us to win anyway, and would expect me Gillespie to start, he played cm for glens quite a bit didn't he so wouldn't be surprised if it was more of the same here

Longfordian
30/03/2011, 3:23 PM
I'd expect it to be an awkward game similar to the League Cup game but they couldn't handle Cowan that night at all so if he's on form I'd expect us to win. Skelly should be up for it against his old club too.

Cabs88
30/03/2011, 7:34 PM
think that sammo and hylo should start in the middle, wouldnt change that, if gillespie had to be accomodated would play him out wide or in the advanced role that walsh has been playing in the league - just behind the front man. I do we need to be more positive than we were for long periods against UCD, when we persisted in 5 across the middle despite being 2 down with time running out.

I do think Gillespie should start on the bench and let morley and brady/roache start either side with Don and either Ozzy or Walsh beside him. Gillespie might be better off as an impact sub til he finds his way, and if he comes on with half an our to go with the game opening up we might see more from him.

Its a massive game for us, and we need the three points, and ill think we'll get them..

Come on the town :ball:

Keen2win
30/03/2011, 8:15 PM
Wish I could go... Damn GAA!!!

Acornvilla
31/03/2011, 9:16 AM
Wish I could go... Damn GAA!!!

skip the gaah go to the town game, simples

Keen2win
31/03/2011, 4:17 PM
Skip my own match??? Can't be at that I'm afraid

outspoken
31/03/2011, 5:55 PM
I think Gillespie will start wide right in a 4-4-2 form....with roach/brady the ones to miss out and it will also be harsh luck on Craig Walsh if he ends up getting less game time but thats the way things go unfortunately but he should be an excellent impact sub.

I think Gillespie would make a great impact sub but im sure hes not going to want that.

You can expect Athlone to defend in 2 banks of 4 but hopefully we can break them down and it would be great to see Skelly scoring........And I'm sure Don will cause problems again.

I'm going 4 a 2-1 win to Longford with Skelly and Gillespie scoring.

howsyourtouch
31/03/2011, 9:46 PM
I think Gillespie will start wide right in a 4-4-2 form....with roach/brady the ones to miss out and it will also be harsh luck on Craig Walsh if he ends up getting less game time but thats the way things go unfortunately but he should be an excellent impact sub.

I think Gillespie would make a great impact sub but im sure hes not going to want that.

You can expect Athlone to defend in 2 banks of 4 but hopefully we can break them down and it would be great to see Skelly scoring........And I'm sure Don will cause problems again.

I'm going 4 a 2-1 win to Longford with Skelly and Gillespie scoring.

so your expecting athlone to come, put 9men behind the ball and still score against us!?

Acornvilla
01/04/2011, 11:16 AM
so your expecting athlone to come, put 9men behind the ball and still score against us!?

well then again how many clean sheets have we kept....

De Town
01/04/2011, 12:55 PM

They did it a few weeks ago in the League Cup.

outspoken
01/04/2011, 3:59 PM
Ye we very rarely keep a clean sheet

atfconline
02/04/2011, 4:24 PM
Any fear of this game not going ahead? Pitch OK?

L.T.F.C.
02/04/2011, 9:07 PM
Pitch was grand. Handy enough win. Athlone hardly threatened us at all.
Gillespie was decent. You'd know well he has a bit of class.

rossi_eire
02/04/2011, 9:09 PM
Cowan outstanding again. Gillespie got 25 mins and had a few great passes, exciting to see him play... new young fella on the left wing showed promise... overplayed the ball much to cowans frustration many times but busy... town played great football in the first 20 and raced into 2-0 lead...... cowan also rattled the bar with a left footed drive..... pretty even second half. great win!

Acornvilla
02/04/2011, 9:15 PM
what was the attendance?

soccerc
02/04/2011, 9:41 PM
Some photos from game (http://www.nineteen21.com/photogallery.php?view=thumbnailList&category=10)

Longfordian
02/04/2011, 9:52 PM
That picture of Donald Keogh is a great one I must say, typical Donald acting the clown.

L.T.F.C.
02/04/2011, 10:51 PM
what was the attendance?
About 600/700.

Longfordian
02/04/2011, 10:59 PM
Yeah extratime had it at 650 so sounds about right. Not bad to be fair. I think numbers are up a bit this year so far, good to win a few games early on and keep people enthused.

Acornvilla
02/04/2011, 11:25 PM
Yeah extratime had it at 650 so sounds about right. Not bad to be fair. I think numbers are up a bit this year so far, good to win a few games early on and keep people enthused.

yep well in fairness it wouldn't be hard to be better than the last 2 seasons :D

if we can keep something about 500 for the season that would be great considering the last few years

outspoken
03/04/2011, 11:50 AM
Great win last night and some lovely football played early on, Cowan is destroying every defence he comes up against this season and it was great to see Skelly get on the score sheet he showed great strikers instinct to get on the end of it......him and Don linked up really well last night.

Morley was fantastic again and while he does carry it a bit too far at times its because he has to get it set up on his left because he cant use his right at all.

Hylo was once again an unsung hero and is having a great season while Gillespie showed some real nice touches and passes he should set up plenty of goals for the front 2....he had more pace than i thought too :)

Anyway great start to the season and a massive game VS Roddy Collins FC on Friday wouldnt it be great to stop his bandwagon.

L.T.F.C.
03/04/2011, 12:04 PM
I agree with you about Morley. Gillespie made a great run and Morley couldn't get it into him, took far too much out of it.

Longfordian
03/04/2011, 12:55 PM
Where did Gillespie play? On the wing? He should get better as the weeks go on so good to see that he's showing some good things already.

Keen2win
03/04/2011, 1:55 PM
Yep, right wing... Brought a bitta class alright, you'd imagine he'd improve the team as a whole

Keen2win
03/04/2011, 2:14 PM
http://www.ltfc.ie/news/article/?id=cc3d4bc5-ccba-463b-8392-0a241515a043

Come early to get a seat? :)

rossi_eire
04/04/2011, 4:22 PM
roddy was an interested spectator sat night, arrived 20 mins in missing both goals!

L.T.F.C.
04/04/2011, 6:09 PM
Looking at the Athlone team... they are some mess. Were there any Athlone supporters there at all last night? And as for the squad!

Martinho II
04/04/2011, 7:24 PM
Looking at the Athlone team... they are some mess. Were there any Athlone supporters there at all last night? And as for the squad!

there were a few that I know that were at it.. but it was a poor turnout from them.. morale isnt great in athlone at present.

Awfullynice
05/04/2011, 2:08 PM
A very good win for the DeTown- Gillespie very impressive in his 25/30 mins - you would know that he played at the highest level

sorbothegreek
05/04/2011, 2:31 PM
Anyone think that we might just have happened upon a first choice goalkeeper?
I know it’s very early days and in a weeks time I could look very foolish but the decision making looked good, handling was without incident and there was excellent quick distribution and rarely a punt to be seen.

hollocaine
05/04/2011, 3:49 PM
Something of interest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGALgExMAAM

L.T.F.C.
05/04/2011, 5:11 PM
Anyone think that we might just have happened upon a first choice goalkeeper?
I know it’s very early days and in a weeks time I could look very foolish but the decision making looked good, handling was without incident and there was excellent quick distribution and rarely a punt to be seen.

I was impressed with him! Sounds ominous for Conlon at this stage though...

Acornvilla
05/04/2011, 5:18 PM
I was impressed with him! Sounds ominous for Conlon at this stage though...

ah hes crap in fairness the less he plays the better

Cabs88
05/04/2011, 7:06 PM
I agree with the posts above re Hunt hadnt much to do but his decision making and distribution looked good, long may it continue...

As regards the game we did well in the first half and the second half was only memorable for Gillespie's introduction. Would have liked to have seen us go for it a bit more rather than sit off in the second, Athlone had one or two decent chances and had they scored and made it 2-1, completely different game. Hopefully we'll have nelly and mick fit for monaghan, as Collins looked in bother a few times when introduced.

Glad to get the win against Athlone, and sitting second in the league has a nice look to it!

Longfordian
05/04/2011, 7:44 PM
Good to hear Hunt did well. 'wullie' will be very pleased ;-). I thought Rouse would be a good keeper for us and in fairness maybe he was carrying an injury in the last couple of games. Conlon I just can't believe in even though he pulls off good saves now and then you don't know what he's going to do in any particular situation.

L.T.F.C.
05/04/2011, 9:34 PM
Collins seems like a complete liability in my opinion! Always heart in mouth job with him!

outspoken
07/04/2011, 7:34 PM
I'm really optimistic about Hunt (but it wouldnt be the first time weve built a keeper up and seen him fall) he looks really good in the air despite not been the tallest keeper ever and as said above hes always looking for quick but sensible distribution (a trait that has won keepers like pepe reina many admirers) hes also looks decent in 1 on 1's and has strong wrists so hopefully weve finally got a replacement for Shay Kelly cause there hasnt really been a consistent no.1 since him (Shanahan was probably the closest)

I also thought Rouse would be good but he actually looks worse than Conlon if you ask me.. and if Conlon can improve his kicking I think he could prove to be a good no.2 anyway thats my 2 cents on the goalkeeping situation.