PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland V Uruguay - Tuesday, 29th March 2011 - Friendly

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8

DannyInvincible
29/03/2011, 7:31 PM
westwood definitely should have done the same again there he doesn't cover the far angle the right angle again.

It's nigh impossible to cover the whole goal in a one-on-one situation. Defending to blame for that one, again.

Maroon 7
Foley, O'Dea, McCarthy, Clark, Keogh, Green, are all showing that they are not up to the highest level.

Let's not write them all off after 45 mins. It's a virtual Ireland B team up against a pretty strong Uruguay side.

They've been OK going forward. Just far too open defensively. Can't afford that with players like Forlan and Cavani around.

Noelys Guitar
Get to half-time and try tighten things up in the second half. They look like scoring everytime they come forward.

tricky_colour
29/03/2011, 7:32 PM
game passing Mccarthy by.

That is what I often think when he plays for Wigan, needs to get more involved.

paul_oshea
29/03/2011, 7:35 PM
It's nigh impossible to cover the whole goal in a one-on-one situation. Defending to blame for that one, again.

im not saying he should def save it but he should definitely do better - again.

SwanVsDalton
29/03/2011, 7:35 PM
foley is muck. and again odea being dozy and lazy.solid my hole

Why must you continually reference what other posters have written in relation to a different game to justify an argument you're having now?

Besides the entire back four ain't exactly showering themselves in glory here, nor is CM. Green and Fahey have been overrun for the last 20 and were directly (if not entirely) at fault for the 2nd goal. They made a positive start but we've been totally overrun in midfield since then. We're could get mashed here. Glad for HT.

RE: Westwood - we'll agree to disagree. I think it's highly unfair to say he didn't play the averages since all he could do was rush a striker who could barely miss. Even if Westwood went that way, he likely wouldn't have saved it since the he didn't have time to close the angle throughly enough. I'd go so far as to suggest you want every goalie to have the reflexes of Batman and the psychic reading abilities of Paul the Octopus (not to mention wanting the moon on a stick as well). But anyway...

ped_ped
29/03/2011, 7:37 PM
Foley, O'Dea, McCarthy, Clark, Keogh, Green, are all showing that they are not up to the highest level.

Don't jump to conclusions anyway :rolleyes:

Green's not up to standard. We know that. We didn't need the past 45 to show us that. But writing off the rest - Clark and McCarthy in particular - is a joke. They've no experience at this level.

backstothewall
29/03/2011, 7:40 PM
This really shows the merit of the Nations Cup. The cup itself is fairly meaningless, but there will always be a bit of intensity between the home nations, something this game is totally devoid of.

Noelys Guitar
29/03/2011, 7:40 PM
I wouldn't judge any of the players on this game. I would take Keogh and Green off and bring on Whelan and Gibson.

livehead1
29/03/2011, 7:42 PM
Don't jump to conclusions anyway :rolleyes:

Green's not up to standard. We know that. We didn't need the past 45 to show us that. But writing off the rest - Clark and McCarthy in particular - is a joke. They've no experience at this level.
Not writing them off by any stretch, the older lads will never be ready, the younger wants aren't yet. They are likely to perform better with better players around them.

BonnieShels
Here's a link if you need it. It's a Veetle stream.http://www.silversportz.co.uk/

That wasn't working for me earlier. Working now. cheers.

Defending has been gash.

SkStu
have no problem with McCarthys performance by the way. Thought he has shown well enough and made some good runs and nice touches.

BonnieShels
29/03/2011, 7:44 PM
That began with Lawerence giving the ball away and then trotting back. All over the place at the back. At least this is the time to find out about certain players.

The one were he got a dodgy cross field pass that he wouldn't have been expecting. Can't blame Lawrence for that.

SwanVsDalton
29/03/2011, 7:44 PM
Not saying he's been magnifique or anything, but Keogh hasn't done too badly. Couple of nice passes and runs. Big problem is he doesn't have the positional knowledge to know what to do when we're not in possession. Weird game, Uruguay arn't playing at any intensity so I still fancy us to score one or two if we get back on the ball.

Stuttgart88
29/03/2011, 7:46 PM
Finishing was class, Westwood blameless. Green is there as defensive cover / tackling midfielder. He's done neither.

O'Dea isn't doing well but he's in two minds whether to holds the line or attack the unmarked advancing Uruguayan. Foley looks like he has no understanding of the offside rule.

Fahey was very careless for the first goal. Botched a routine headed clearance. He's had good and bad moments.

I'm excusing Keogh of any blame. He can't be expected to do anything out there. We need Treacy or McGeady there.

SwanVsDalton
have no problem with McCarthys performance by the way. Thought he has shown well enough and made some good runs and nice touches.

Agreed. Him and Long have threatened to link-up nicely once or twice, and he hasn't done anything particularly wrong. Would like to see him pushed back into CM at some point in the 2nd just to see how'd he fare.

Philly
Not gonna lie, McCarthy has been anonymous and Clark has been poor. Foley and O'Dea have been bad too, and Lawrence is not his usual sharp self. Long has been excellent mind you, here's hoping the others can follow his lead in the second half or else this could get embarrassing.

paul_oshea
Why must you continually reference what other posters have written in relation to a different game to justify an argument you're having now?

Besides the entire back four ain't exactly showering themselves in glory here, nor is CM. Green and Fahey have been overrun for the last 20 and were directly (if not entirely) at fault for the 2nd goal. They made a positive start but we've been totally overrun in midfield since then. We're could get mashed here. Glad for HT.

RE: Westwood - we'll agree to disagree. I think it's highly unfair to say he didn't play the averages since all he could do was rush a striker who could barely miss. Even if Westwood went that way, he likely wouldn't have saved it since the he didn't have time to close the angle throughly enough. I'd go so far as to suggest you want every goalie to have the reflexes of Batman and the psychic reading abilities of Paul the Octopus (not to mention wanting the moon on a stick as well). But anyway...

because i base my arguments on previous games not 1 game and I've seen enough of odea in an Irish jersey to know he isn't up to it. you and.many others use 1 game as a basis for justification of him playing.

you can't keep defending when we concede goals.if you pull out examples where he has done exactly what i said i.e. the great second half save your argument becomes credible.

Stuttgart88
29/03/2011, 7:47 PM
Why must you continually reference what other posters have written in relation to a different game to justify an argument you're having now?Hear hear.

paul_oshea
29/03/2011, 7:50 PM
koegh should have gotten red for that peno

Stuttgart88
29/03/2011, 7:51 PM
He was picked to do a job beside Dunne against Macedonia. He did it, and quite well.

He is up against a tidy outfit alongside two full backs who aren't doing well, a full back as makrshift CB and with an invisible defensive central midfielder ahead of him tonight. Of course he's going to be exposed as the average player he is.

tricky_colour
29/03/2011, 7:52 PM
Excellent penalty.

BonnieShels
Defo penalty

What a run by Long there.

Reminds me of all of my runs in Pro Ev with Messi.

Noelys Guitar
Lets get another goal. Great run by Long and fair play to mcCarthy and Keogh. And what a peno from Fahey.

BonnieShels
Great take from FAW-HEE

SkStu
29/03/2011, 7:53 PM
good man Fats. Great for him to get another goal to his name.

deffo a penalty by the way.

BonnieShels
29/03/2011, 7:59 PM
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG

CLose!

paul_oshea
29/03/2011, 8:01 PM
long having a great game.fahey is good at controlling and picking out passes but i do think we need a defensive midfielder when he is playing.green isn't that man.

SkStu
29/03/2011, 8:02 PM
way better this half.

SwanVsDalton
29/03/2011, 8:04 PM
because i base my arguments on previous games not 1 game and I've seen enough of odea in an Irish jersey to know he isn't up to it. you and.many others use 1 game as a basis for justification of him playing.

you can't keep defending when we concede goals.if you pull out examples where he has done exactly what i said i.e. the great second half save your argument becomes credible.

My - and I believe others who aired similar - argument was that O'Dea played well, solidly in fact, on Saturday and justified his selection for that game. A pressure game in a competitive match, and he did well. That's all. I've made no comment on what O'Dea could bring to Ireland in future years, beyond suggesting he's could prove to be a useful option given his age and potential. I have never 'used one game as a basis for justification of him playing'.

You're argument appears to be - he'll never be a player, he'll never have a contribution to make so he should never play for Ireland. In the future. Ever. No matter what. And your evidence is a poor performance in a meaningless friendly beside a make-shift, inexperienced back four among other shaky performances.

And MY argument isn't credible?

paul_oshea
29/03/2011, 8:06 PM
we are but they have relaxed.is koegh unfit or what his touch is terrible like he is tired.

Noelys Guitar
29/03/2011, 8:09 PM
I bet we win now.

tricky_colour
29/03/2011, 8:10 PM
2 more goals for Ireland and I'm in the money :p

paul_oshea
29/03/2011, 8:11 PM
i might have said yes till i saw koegh still on and Mccarthy coming off. fahey was doing well perhaps he tired

tricky_colour
29/03/2011, 8:13 PM
Save!!
Westwood is the real deal.

paul_oshea
there you go second save made himself huge and covered the angles.

BonnieShels
Well done westwood there. Class.

SkStu
criminal from Gibson the way he shirked the physicality after the corner broke down but rescued SUPERBLY by Westwood.

Class act Westwood.

ken foree
29/03/2011, 8:14 PM
game wide open.

BonnieShels
29/03/2011, 8:15 PM
That was top drawer there from Westwood.

BonnieShels
29/03/2011, 8:16 PM
criminal from Gibson the way he shirked the physicality after the corner broke down but rescued SUPERBLY by Westwood.

Class act Westwood.

He ain't going to be at Coventry come August.

SkStu
29/03/2011, 8:19 PM
delighted to see Delaney back on the pitch for us. Was very impressed with him in the Serbia friendly a couple of years back.

strangeirish
29/03/2011, 8:19 PM
Westwood should be dropped. Sign petition below at

paul_oshea.com (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_yOBthELUmLM/S-gkYHKnWAI/AAAAAAAAAQ8/RVYoJhtXgTo/s1600/funny_monkey%5B1%5D.jpg)
:D

Noelys Guitar
29/03/2011, 8:20 PM
We looked more in control with Fahey and McCarthy on.

zero
29/03/2011, 8:21 PM
clark was really poor tonight in my opinion - none of the back four covered themselves in glory but he was the worst of them. mccarthy wasn't really involved, it didn't look like the more attacking role suited him.

but both are young and will improve. i wouldn't be confident at this point of starting them in macedonia. on the plus side, fahey looked good and westwood has been excellent.

SkStu
Gibson FFS.

Noelys Guitar
lawerence played well.

BonnieShels
29/03/2011, 8:23 PM
Glad to see McGeady on.

Lawrence played okay. better in the 2nd than in the 1st half. Another player I have an AWFUL lot of time for.

SwanVsDalton
29/03/2011, 8:24 PM
there you go second save made himself huge and covered the angles.

Yeah you're right Paul, proves what you were saying all along. Particularly the first save when he 'played the averages' and didn't sprawl to his right - where the ball was likely to go - and stood up to save the chip. Consider yourself justified.

cornflakes
29/03/2011, 8:24 PM
keogh oh my god