PDA

View Full Version : UCD game

peadar1987
25/03/2011, 11:13 PM
Decent game overall, I thought. The first half was very scrappy, and neither side really looked like doing anything (unless the 90-odd seconds I missed at the very start were absolutely epic!). The second half was a lot livelier, and the lads played far better. I was very impressed with Webster at right back, and Gary Dempsey had another good game.

One criticism I'd make is that we're still looking to play big long balls over the midfield far too often. With two small fellas like Shane O'Neill and John Mulroy up front, we're not going to win anything in the air, so we're relying on a perfect defence-splitting pass for them to run onto every time, or else it's just giving the ball away.

Without Gary Shaw to bring a bit of height into the attack, I probably would have swapped Shields and Mulroy around, keep the pace out wide, and maybe start winning a few headers.

Other than that, another solid performance from the lads. The table looks quite nice with us in 4th place!

Bray-Z
25/03/2011, 11:38 PM
I thought it was a bad performance all round. Dempsey was okay, few uncharacteristic errors from him though. Nobody really stood out but a win is a win is a win so absolutely delighted with the three points.

peadar1987
25/03/2011, 11:47 PM
I thought it was a bad performance all round. Dempsey was okay, few uncharacteristic errors from him though. Nobody really stood out but a win is a win is a win so absolutely delighted with the three points.

Well I can't have seen us getting the three points against a more physically strong side, or one with a bit more guile up front, but the lads did what was needed, and UCD never really looked like unlocking our defence. I've always thought Dempsey is very affected by the players around him. When the wingers are getting wide, and spreading the game, and the rest of the team are making clever runs, he can run the game, but when they're not, it's almost like he's still looking for those clever passes for a second too long, and he allows himself to be put under pressure.

Captain2007
25/03/2011, 11:54 PM
IMO it was a decent performance on a pitch that had the worst surface I have seen for a long time,I thought we adapted well to the pitch hence we could not play through Gary & Danny and had to try and hit the lads up front, Matt did everything that was asked of him, Joint second in the League after 4 games you could only be happy with that start, well done to the fans who attended we just might have edged the home support on numbers..

peadar1987
26/03/2011, 12:51 AM
The pitch was absolute gash alright. I'd say it had more than a little to do with all the mistakes out there

Bry Boy
27/03/2011, 2:17 AM
I dont think the pitch is any excuse for the performance we have all played on worse.
Im sorry but IMO Kendrick is just not hiting the ground running, his passing was shocking along with a few others.
Massey should definitley be put back in the left back position IMO that is where he played at his best.

But we won and that is all that counts.
and were 4th :D