PDA

View Full Version : City 1-3 Shels - ratings

Sheridan
05/06/2004, 11:23 AM
Robbie Horgan: 5.5
Inexcusable error for the third goal at a time when we were playing Shels off the park.

Barry Burke: 8.5
Outstanding in both defence and attack. His impending suspension is a blow, but with Toccy approaching full fitnesss the impact should be lessened.

Keith Foy: 6.5
Fairly poor in patches, not bad in others. Textbook right-hand-edge-of-the-box free-kick produced our goal, which has been variously credited to Foy, Robbie Collins (!!) and Paul Crowley (looked like an o.g. to me.)

Wes Byrne: 6
Neither conspicuously at fault nor obviously outstanding before being replaced at half-time, presumably due to injury.

Ben Whelehan: 5
Worst game yet from Ben, another who collaborated on the masterpiece of slapstick comedy that was Byrne's hat-trick goal.

Cathal O'Connor: 7
Squeezed out of the game for long spells, but showed his ability when he got the opportunity. Needs to produce a big performance in Derry.

Killian Brennan: 8
Outstanding first half, somewhat marginalised before being replaced with Scully for the last seventeen minutes. Maturing into the fine player with the potential to explode in the second half of the season. A tricky winger of the old school.

Dom Tierney: 6.5
See last week's assessment (minus the goal.) Competent performance, not enough urgency.

Jason Colwell: 5
Poor on the night.

Gary O'Neill: 7
First things first, what ON EARTH was he doing on the right-hand side for the first half, and why wasn't he switched to his more familiar forward position immediately we went behind?? Totally ineffective in his wide role (which is hardly Gary's fault) but again showed his class when pushed up alongside Philly in the second period. Should have been awarded two penalties whilst we were 0-2 down. Kept playing like a lone striker and trying to do too much during our spell of dominance, which wasn't what the circumstances required.

Philly Hughes: 7.5
Always looked dangerous, just couldn't work himself into a shooting position for much of the night. Isolated in the first half.

SUBS
Paul Crowley: 7.5
Solid in central defence when he replaced Wes Byrne for the second half (bar his involvement in the goal-that-should-never-be-mentioned-again, but that wasn't really his fault), and magnificient in midfield during the final scramble for a goal. Shame he wasn't fit enough to start.

Ray Scully and Pierre Ennis: 6 apiece
Not on long enough to earn a proper rating, both did okay.

Ringo
06/06/2004, 7:47 AM
Had a few pints on me, in the Ivy House. Had a go at John Gill about the short corner!! Don't think he was too impressed. " Worked last year" to which i of course replied " it's not this year" :D. See your witch hunt against Robbie stlll going on :p

niamh
06/06/2004, 11:38 AM
Thought DC deserved something from the game myself as well. Were unlucky at times, and def found a way to get at Shelbourne that many other teams haven't this season.

Sheridan
06/06/2004, 6:15 PM
Had a few pints on me, in the Ivy House. Had a go at John Gill about the short corner!! Don't think he was too impressed. " Worked last year" to which i of course replied " it's not this year" :D. See your witch hunt against Robbie stlll going on :p
:p You know very well there's no witch-hunt, I gave him 8.5 last time! It was a shocking piece of "control" though, and killed us off just when it looked like we might get back into it.

The thing about the short corners (and they didn't work last year, no matter what Giller says) is that we have so few players with any height that we need to alter the angle and speed of the cross in order to give them a chance of winning it. Works in theory, if not in practice.

Saw John Gill and yourself in the Ivy House as I was leaving. That place freaks me out, everytime I go in there are at least two people I haven't met since school there. What happened to the DCFC flags outside??

The Sheliban
07/06/2004, 7:05 AM
[QUOTE=Sheridan]Robbie Horgan: 5.5
Inexcusable error for the third goal at a time when we were playing Shels off the park.

Dreadful error okay, Sheridan, but hardly playing us off the park. No team can expect to dominate for 90 minutes, and to be fair to yous, you had a good 10 mins spell when we were on the back foot.

Was disappointed in DC after the other two games this season. I thought Shels looked comfortable for much of the match, Fitzpatrick missed a sitter of a header in the first half, Rowe missed another, Wes missed another. Granted you should have got a penno for Crawley's handball, but it was our easiest game of the season so far.

As someone who has consistently backed DC to stay up, I'm hoping that game was only a blip.