PDA

View Full Version : Firefox4

tetsujin1979
23/03/2011, 4:55 PM
Released and being downloaded at a faster rate than IE9, apparently.
Used it for a day, and apart from the usual issues with add-ons, it's a fine improvement.

Will still be using Opera for mobile browsing though

dahamsta
23/03/2011, 6:26 PM
I'll have to install it locally with a copy of my profile to check addons, it certainly wasn't supporting some important ones when I checked a couple of betas ago. I already run it in much the same format though - no File menu, everything squished onto one toolbar - so I'm looking forward to losing more chrome with the new status bar. :)

awec
23/03/2011, 10:20 PM
I'm having rendering issues. Some things are forced onto a "new line" so to speak when they shouldn't be (ie if a table is 4 columns wide the 4th column is put onto a new line).

Although this may be being caused by this adblocker I'm using. The usual ad block hasn't been ported to 4 yet.

I'm glad it adopted the Google Chrome style status bar!

strangeirish
23/03/2011, 10:26 PM
I'll have to install it locally with a copy of my profile to check addons, it certainly wasn't supporting some important ones when I checked a couple of betas ago.This hasn't changed from what I've seen so far. Downloaded it this morning and only two add-ons, out of about ten that I had, were compatible.

tetsujin1979
23/03/2011, 11:13 PM
The Mouse Gestures add on isn't supported on Firefox 4, which was nearly a deal breaker for me, but the nightly build works fine.
Adblock Plus works fine, as does the latest release of Firebug and Echofon.
So, by and large I'm good

dahamsta
23/03/2011, 11:24 PM
I switched to FireGestures a while back, perhaps try that? I think MozGest has faded over the years. Good to hear ABP has finally updated, although of course you don't need it on Foot.ie, and everyone else should have it disabled on Foot.ie. :)

How about TabMixPlus? That's another mandatory plugin for me an it definitely wasn't working without a beta the last time I checked.

tetsujin1979
24/03/2011, 9:46 AM
I switched to FireGestures a while back, perhaps try that? I think MozGest has faded over the years. Good to hear ABP has finally updated, although of course you don't need it on Foot.ie, and everyone else should have it disabled on Foot.ie. :)

How about TabMixPlus? That's another mandatory plugin for me an it definitely wasn't working without a beta the last time I checked.
Might have to switch to FireGestures. According to the homepage, Mouse Gestures will be discontinued in April - http://www.mousegestures.org/
Yeah, I have foot.ie whitelisted on ABP
TabMixPlus is fine too, need my tabs on the bottom of the page or I can't function

dahamsta
24/03/2011, 10:13 AM
I have them where they go by default, but I have TMP pop a new tab for everything. I go nuts when I use someone else's computer and current tabs get overwritten. :)

tetsujin1979
24/03/2011, 11:28 AM
I used tabs in Opera and TextPad ever before I used them in Firefox, so they have to be on the bottom for map

I have my machine set up the way I want it too, can barely use my Dad's machine when he needs something fixed/replaced/installed

dahamsta
24/03/2011, 11:31 AM
Oh I've gone totally overkill on FF, on my home computer it loads from PortableApps on a share on my home server, which is ultimately in Dropbox. :)

tetsujin1979
24/03/2011, 3:26 PM
that's pretty hardcore, I used to have FF on a usb key, but it was too much of a pain to have it with me everywhere

dahamsta
24/03/2011, 3:57 PM
That and it tends to be slower. I used to run a local FF with the profile from the dropbox share for the same reason, but I switched to the native PortableApps app recently and the performance difference is negligible at this stage. This way I can run my own FF from every computer in the house, and outside the house from Dropbox. If I need to work on a client's computer, I can just mirror the dropbox to a flash drive. Fierce handy.

awec
24/03/2011, 4:09 PM
"Fierce handy" :D:D

dahamsta
24/03/2011, 4:28 PM
Oh paste & go is native now, that's great!

awec
24/03/2011, 4:44 PM
Oh paste & go is native now, that's great!
There needs to be a keyboard shortcut for this though.

tetsujin1979
24/03/2011, 7:15 PM
It's control-b on opera, dead handy alright

dahamsta
24/03/2011, 7:24 PM
Dunno about paste and go shortcut, but CTRL+L will select and highlight the address, so I guess CTRL+L CTRL+V and Return? Not very slick I'll admit. :)