PDA

View Full Version : Absolutely delighted for Fenn

Counting Crow
04/06/2004, 11:01 PM
I really am.

I started the thread "to give Fenn a break" and am delighted that he turned his game around tonight. He really showed guts to keep his confidence and put on a display like that.

His touch was brilliant.
His passing superb ( set up a load of chances for Nawankwo &, Flynny )
Should have had a spotter when one shot in the 2nd half was blocked by an arm.
His goal was class ......... in fairness the whole build up was worth the admission price.
He chased everything tonight and looked a much better player. He'll be a real assit now if he keeps this up.

Delighted he got such a good reception coming off.

patsh
04/06/2004, 11:25 PM
And let me be the first to agree with you, Crow. When Fenn makes an effort, we all can see how good he can be. For me, the best thing he did all night didn't end in a goal, but the way he chased, harried and got the ball at one point in the second half and gave a great pass to Flynnie, only for it to be called for offside, shows his talents, and why it is so frustrating when he doesn't try. Outside of the goal at all, he played very well, and lets see him do the same for all our games.

thecorner
05/06/2004, 1:39 AM
His goal was class ......... in fairness the whole build up was worth the admission price.

played ok but crow lets not carried away. he did what was expected of him and that goal was all down to billy's brilliance

Counting Crow
05/06/2004, 7:50 AM
Corner agree with you on al counts.

He did what we want.........but we have to give the guy credit for knuckling down so quickly after all that critisism and actually showing us what we want to see - real balls IMO. A lot of players would have hidden, sulked, cracked etc - good that he didn't.

On the goal - absolutely - Billy was superb in setting it up. He had a great game and was dead on his feet at the end. But again give Fenn credit. He put the ball away in clinical fashion - something a few others could have done later in the game ;)

So, I ain't getting carried away - just genuinely delighted for the guy ( and us ) as he willl be a real addition now if he keeps playing like that. I think most people respected what he did out there last night - certainly where I was sitting anyway.

SÓC
05/06/2004, 8:59 AM
yeah but it was fenn who started the break, winning the ball and laying it on for billy. i actually thought billy wasted the break when he never released the ball to o'flynn but thank god it worked out.Flynnys run took two defenders out of it, Fenn did very well to keep going after winning the ball for Billy at the start and what a finish. One of the best worked team goals we've seen at the Cross in a while.

Fenn would have had two except his shot hit Benno on the line from a corner. Well done to him, great game.

jmc105
05/06/2004, 1:41 PM
played ok but crow lets not carried away. he did what was expected of him and that goal was all down to billy's brilliance

fenn was a lot better than ok.... his goal was clinical, created lots of chances, showed great skill at times, was unlucky not to score more and worked very hard when pat's had the ball.

was delighted when he scored but even if he hadn't his performance was excellent. was good to see every city player run up to him to pat him on the back after the goal. let's hope for more of the same.

btw, anyone else in the donie forde hear people calling for georgie to be taken off? thought he had a great game...

SSS
05/06/2004, 4:21 PM
btw, anyone else in the donie forde hear people calling for georgie to be taken off? thought he had a great game...

Yeah. It seems Fenn was off their radar last night, so it had to be George.

sullanefc
05/06/2004, 4:37 PM
i actually thought billy wasted the break when he never released the ball to o'flynn but thank god it worked out.

Just as well he didn't, Flynny missed some sitters in the game. I'm sure he will be back to his best before long though.

I thought Fenn had a really good game, even without the goal. The goal was a bonus and should boost the confidence. I think the substitution was a tactical one. We were being over run in the second half and I think Dolan brought Sweeney on to give a bit more bite in midfield.

DolansWaistcoat
05/06/2004, 9:48 PM
Fenn played a stormer last night and I was delighted he shut up a few of the ''go back to Waterford'' merchants who have popped up since he joined us.Got a great reception when he went off.What are the chances he plays that way against shels?Fairly high I'd say.

I'm off to the bookies.

thecorner
06/06/2004, 12:12 AM
you are all getting carried away here.

he played no better than the rest of the players on the pitch,it was 11 men doing well

he did his job.plain and simple. its only because of his mediocore performances of late that made this performance look brilliant.

im all for fenn showing us what he is made of but people are getting carried away here

Gary
06/06/2004, 1:35 AM
He shut a few people up tonight....

But not all. Some tool next to me at the game said something like the following:

"I dont care, at €2k a week............................................." blah blah blah. Same fella is/was a massive George "fan".

Thought He was very very poor. He was trying to be a little too extravagant. The simple ball was there alot of times. Instead he went for the 'killer' ball, and ended up losing it. That said, everyone has a stinker every now and then.

As for people saying 'its about time Fenn put in a bit of effort', well I reckon he has being putting the effort in all season, but it only really shone through last night. Fair play Fenn.

jmc105
06/06/2004, 1:33 PM

he did his job.plain and simple. its only because of his mediocore performances of late that made this performance look brilliant.

i think people are pointing out fenn's excellent performance because of the abuse he has been taking lately. not really getting carried away, just genuinely happy for the guy. no, he didn't stand out particularly in what was a great team performance, but he contributed a lot and hopefully continue in this vein.

wiseman
08/06/2004, 10:26 AM

he played no better than the rest of the players on the pitch,it was 11 men doing well

im all for fenn showing us what he is made of but people are getting carried away here
YUP have to agree. Fri he was great, but he has been lazy for 12 games so 1 good performance is only a start.
Just on a side note to everyone : the Donie Forde stand is rather large and has a few different sections, so try and narrow down where you are talking about, please

tiktok
08/06/2004, 10:39 AM
but he has been lazy for 12 games so 1 good performance is only a start.

but people are getting carried away here

on both sides thecorner.
he hasn't been lazy for twelve games wiseman, that's just going to the other extreme.

he obviously upped his game on friday, let's hope it continues onto tonight and for the rest of the season, and while he's putting in the effort let's get behind him as we do the rest of the team.

but i agree with thecorner, let's call it as we see it and not build him up (or knock him down) just because he seems to split opinion.

Counting Crow
08/06/2004, 10:14 PM
That's 2 games and 2 goals for Fenn.

Looking forward to hearing how he played tonight.

Also good to see Flynny scoring again - that's 3 goals in 4 games for him. He is starting to get his old speed back also which is good for us all.

tiktok
08/06/2004, 10:30 PM
CC, a Fenn update

A few people will disagree with me here, so I'll start with the criticism. He did wheel out of a few 50:50's and got abuse from a few individuals for it.

On the whole though he covered a lot of ground, closed down well and I can remember him clearing from our penalty area a couple of times, I thought his work rate was good.

He scored a cracker, but could have had another earlier had he reacted quicker when everyone thought he was offside (he wasn'r since the ball came back off a Shels player) and he ended up dragging the ball across goals

not too many of the flicks came off, but on the whole a decent performance, better than Billy, Dan, Nwankwo and Greg on the night anyway. :(

pete
09/06/2004, 11:00 AM
Not great performance from him at Tolka. Had trpouble holding the ball up & eventhough he not gonna win many headers he could jumo a bit more to at least put off the defenders.

Took his goal well though lashing to the net from edge of box.

niamh
09/06/2004, 11:38 AM
There as a wally behind me that was giving Fenn stick from the get go at Tolka last night - shouting that Dolan should take him off etc.... He was v loud with his applause when Fenn scored in the second half mind!
I've always said I am not convinced by the man and I still reserve my judgement but I will say I have not seen as many games this year as in recent seasons...so far.