PDA

View Full Version : MNS - 21st March 2011 - Series 3

A face
21/03/2011, 12:08 PM
www.rte.ie/mns
mns@rte.ie

Send in any photos etc. .... and clips of Paddys Day Parade.

sligoman
21/03/2011, 12:27 PM
Send in any photos etc. .... and clips of Paddys Day Parade.Why? Do they still show photos? There's been none on so far and dont think they've mentioned to send any in. No fanzone section anymore.

A face
21/03/2011, 12:45 PM
I thought it was just because they weren't getting any because it was the start of the season.

A face
21/03/2011, 9:11 PM
I thought the Arselona gag was a bit lame, and paper talk after seeing it a few times needs a bit more work, its very one dimensional. It could maybee have a slide show of the newspaper headlines etc. with the interview over the top of it. It thought there was more action in it this week which was good.

LOI_Fanatic
21/03/2011, 9:13 PM
is it just me,or are the match highlights getting shorter each week?...the camera work has been terrible.

and please MNS get rid of the national team discussion!...or at least confine it to the last 10minutes of the show and show a bit of first division action please.

Cuyahoga
21/03/2011, 9:31 PM
Peter Collins in his commentary on Galways match v UCD called Sean Connor ' sean Connors'. Typical !

avvenalaf
21/03/2011, 10:02 PM
Peter Collins in his commentary on Galways match v UCD called Sean Connor ' sean Connors'. Typical !

Well, Seanie does have a couple of personalities.

Rasputin
21/03/2011, 10:52 PM
By far the best one made this year I thought.
Plenty of coverage, no clueless gereatric that the barstoolers can paw themselves too and at least Mc Donnell and Gormley know what they are talking about.
As for Dave Barry, well not as mumbling as usual but still incoherent leaps in mid sentance, hes embaressing to watch.
I know I know the show needs a token cork person but anyone but Barry, the man cant string a sentance togethor and even worse constantly cuts over the other commentators with his dimented rantings, stick Morley on instead of him.

EivissaPaul
22/03/2011, 1:39 AM
Does anybody else think they should have a 'mns extra' online where footage they take at matches is made available online??? instead of 2 mins of footage you can log on and watch 10-15 mins if footage. Personally i think the footage they do show is to quick, little or no replay's of dubious decissions etc.. and if air time is the issue here is a way around it.. anybody else have any ideas??

bullit
22/03/2011, 2:14 AM
Does anybody else think they should have a 'mns extra' online where footage they take at matches is made available online??? instead of 2 mins of footage you can log on and watch 10-15 mins if footage. Personally i think the footage they do show is to quick, little or no replay's of dubious decissions etc.. and if air time is the issue here is a way around it.. anybody else have any ideas??

Just post your clubs highlights here and feck MNS.Here is ours(10mins versus the MNS 3mins) including post match reaction.
http://www.dundalkfc.com/dfc-tv-dundalk-v-bohs

PS,full credit to all at Dundalk for their excellent coverage as always.

nigel-harps1954
22/03/2011, 2:25 AM
Thought the show was reasonable enough, but as said, the National team section should be either shortened or removed altogether. No need for it at all.
The good the bad and the ugly section is grand for what it is, but must have ran at least 6/7 minutes which was ridiculous.
If they gave every game a couple of minutes each instead of the 40 odd seconds each gets they'd be grand, still leaving time for at very minimum the goals from the first division games.
What I fail to see is how the likes of 'Match Of The Day' on BBC, 'Football On Sunday' and 'Football League Review' on Sky Sports and these sort of shows can fit in action from 8-12 games every week easily in an hour with plenty of coverage and discussion, yet on MNS it seems a struggle to fit in 5 premier league games amongst all the sh**e they throw in along with it.
Personally I think its time the whole "Email us at MNS@rte.ie" was put to good use with enough requests to get rid of all that bo***cks.
If they stuck to being a dedicated LOI review show and stopped all this Soccer AM wanna-be nonsense we potentially would have a cracking show on our hands.

Magicme
22/03/2011, 2:26 AM
Thats a great idea!

Charlie Darwin
22/03/2011, 3:52 AM
Thought the show was reasonable enough, but as said, the National team section should be either shortened or removed altogether. No need for it at all.
I really doubt it'll be a weekly thing. It'll be on in the period surrounding international games and when something topical happens i.e. James McCarthy. I think that's fair enough, although beginning the show with international stuff is completely the wrong approach.

WindmillWarrior
22/03/2011, 7:25 AM

Good idea. Sure at one stage last night they showed a great bit of skill, a run and shot, (in the Bray game i think it was) - the comm said something along the lines of messi being proud of that skill, and then they dont even bother showing the feckin replay!

Macy
22/03/2011, 9:06 AM
and if air time is the issue here is a way around it.. anybody else have any ideas??
How is airtime an issue, when they've 5 games to cover in an hour? If they stopped talking rubbish and massaging ego's of the panel they'd easily fit in decent highlights with replays. I just don't get the editorial policy of MNS - surely the big bucks is in sending the camera's to cover the matches, and then they bloody waste the resources to give time to pundits. MOTD2 would be a reasonable model for them to copy, if they want to keep the in house banter.

A face
22/03/2011, 9:25 AM

That is a brilliant idea, you should definitely email them about that. It would be a brilliant feature if they did have it.

Macy
22/03/2011, 9:31 AM
That is a brilliant idea, you should definitely email them about that. It would be a brilliant feature if they did have it.
I think it just gives them the out to maintain the current level of highlights or even reduce them, when they should be increasing what's in the main programme.

WoodquayBoy
23/03/2011, 3:12 PM
In fairness to RTE, the programme is called MNS - Monday Night Soccer - and not Airtricity League Soccer, so I don't have a problem with them showing international stuff, and would imagine putting it on first is to use it as a hook that non-LOI people might hang around and watch a bit of the show. Though that point may be moot if they went straight to an ad break after the international preview, I can't recall.

nigel-harps1954
23/03/2011, 4:50 PM
In fairness to RTE, the programme is called MNS - Monday Night Soccer - and not Airtricity League Soccer,

From, www.rte.ie/mns :

Con Murphy returns for a brand new series of MNS on Monday 7 March with the best analysis and discussion from the 2011 Airtricity League of Ireland.

Um, it's supposed to be a LOI show. Match of the Day was never called 'Premier League Highlights'

The other thing about RTÉ is right after MNS is finished they give this little advert for RTÉ being the 'home of sport' with Magners League Rugby, English Premier League, GAA, and all this craic, but don't actually mention LOI in that bit at all. Shocking really for me at least.

sligoman
23/03/2011, 7:52 PM
One of MNS's big problems is they dont listen to their viewers in terms of getting feedback etc. They should be looking for feedback for ways to improve but instead they just ignore it or, as I've seen, give a smart arse reply to people on their facebook page. They just ignore everyone and just go with their own ideas and aren't open to suggestions.

bingoballs
23/03/2011, 8:01 PM
The good the bad and the ugly section is grand for what it is, but must have ran at least 6/7 minutes which was ridiculous.

and for the second week running they still couldn't show ugly "tackles" made by shams players

A face
23/03/2011, 8:27 PM
The other thing about RTÉ is right after MNS is finished they give this little advert for RTÉ being the 'home of sport' with Magners League Rugby, English Premier League, GAA, and all this craic, but don't actually mention LOI in that bit at all. Shocking really for me at least.

I actually hate that as well and its always spelt out how far down the ranking we are. A few years ago i went a bit ott and did a bit of digging on other EU countries and the amount of hours they dedicate to the domestic game compared to other leagues, champions league etc. and i sent it all to them making the case that not only were we getting snubbed on the ratio of hours but even in the advert as well.

I heard absolutely nothing and i had cc'ed loads of people from broadcasting authorities all over Europe.

born2bwild
23/03/2011, 9:41 PM
I spent a lot of time in the last week criticising MNS about their editorial policy on their facebook page and while they did eventually start responding to my points I doubt very much that they're going to cut out the fluff and show better highlights. It seems to me that they're unhappy being on that show in terms of their career. Their primary concern is to do flashy-looking journo-tastic bells and whistles so as to get noticed and hired on a more high-profile show. I really dont think they care very much about football in the first instance and certainly not the LOI. I really get the impression that they're kind of embarrassed about the league and and they're putting all those gimmcks and all that populist ole ole rubbish about the International team to distract from the actual football because they think it's really not very good at all. I don't know how else to explain the frenzy of dumbing down that is MNS.

Straightstory
24/03/2011, 3:24 PM
I spent a lot of time in the last week criticising MNS about their editorial policy on their facebook page and while they did eventually start responding to my points I doubt very much that they're going to cut out the fluff and show better highlights. It seems to me that they're unhappy being on that show in terms of their career. Their primary concern is to do flashy-looking journo-tastic bells and whistles so as to get noticed and hired on a more high-profile show. I really dont think they care very much about football in the first instance and certainly not the LOI. I really get the impression that they're kind of embarrassed about the league and and they're putting all those gimmcks and all that populist ole ole rubbish about the International team to distract from the actual football because they think it's really not very good at all. I don't know how else to explain the frenzy of dumbing down that is MNS.

Far too harsh - but I agree about their misplaced attempts to attract non-LOI fans by featuring items about the national team. These fit jarringly into the programme.

D.24saint
24/03/2011, 4:10 PM
watched the pats game then just tuned out id agree its better than nothing but its going downhill.

born2bwild
24/03/2011, 5:49 PM
Far too harsh - but I agree about their misplaced attempts to attract non-LOI fans by featuring items about the national team. These fit jarringly into the programme.

Yeah, probably a bit too harsh about the lads' career motivations. Still, though, because it's so gimmicky it's more or less unwatchable if you're actually interested in football. Maybe they're trying to drive people out the door to watch real football?!

Charlie Darwin
24/03/2011, 6:32 PM
and for the second week running they still couldn't show ugly "tackles" made by shams players
Turner's challenge? They showed it 4 or 5 times between the game and analysis. The Good/Bad/Ugly section is supposed to highlights things you might have missed. There's no conspiracy.

JC_GUFC
24/03/2011, 8:58 PM
By far the best one made this year I thought.
Plenty of coverage, no clueless gereatric that the barstoolers can paw themselves too and at least Mc Donnell and Gormley know what they are talking about.
As for Dave Barry, well not as mumbling as usual but still incoherent leaps in mid sentance, hes embaressing to watch.
I know I know the show needs a token cork person but anyone but Barry, the man cant string a sentance togethor and even worse constantly cuts over the other commentators with his dimented rantings, stick Morley on instead of him.

I wonder if he can spell though...

Rasputin
25/03/2011, 8:35 AM
I wonder if he can spell though...
Good one...

Macy
25/03/2011, 8:52 AM
At least we should get coverage the next few weeks - Gillespie will give them a chance to play loads of clips of English football...