PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Gerrard

rebelmusic
19/03/2011, 11:04 AM
Since we're low on center backs, i wonder has he been looked at? Play for us at U-18 level, qualifies through is ol granny. Apparently a lot of clubs are looking at him (apparently).

"A lot of people probably don't know that I am eligible to play for the Republic of Ireland having played for them at Under 18 level.
"I pledged my allegiance to the Republic and I would love the chance to play for the senior squad.
"I have yet to receive a call-up to the senior squad, but I hope my recent performances are being noted by people in the coaching staff.
"I will just keep my head down and carry on working well and hope that Mr Trappatoni and his coaching staff will give me the opportunity to play for the Republic in the future."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12020_6794381,00.html

paul_oshea
19/03/2011, 11:24 AM
i thought ppl on here said he isn't actually eligible

rebelmusic
19/03/2011, 11:27 AM
The articles only a couple of weeks old. Surely if he played under 18s for us there's no question of eligibility?

tetsujin1979
19/03/2011, 12:33 PM
The articles only a couple of weeks old. Surely if he played under 18s for us there's no question of eligibility?
he played a few times for non-competitive games, then when he went to claim his passport it turned out his grandparent was not born in Ireland, so he didn't qualify
Same thing happened with Julian Kelly from Reading and James Wallace of Everton

paul_oshea
19/03/2011, 12:37 PM
he obviouslydoesn't seem to be aware of this.surely the fai would have let him know?

TrapAPony
27/04/2011, 12:31 PM
Cleared to play for Ireland.

Skysports.com understands Hull City's loan star Anthony Gerrard has been cleared to play for Republic of Ireland.

The Liverpool-born defender has represented the Republic at Under 18 level having qualified to play for the country because of his grandmother.

Gerrard, who is the cousin of Liverpool skipper and England star Steven Gerrard, has now passed on the relevant documents to the Football Association of Ireland to make himself available for Giovanni Trapattoni's side.

The 25-year-old, who is currently on loan at Hull from Cardiff, has enjoyed a superb campaign with the Tigers and was recently named as the club's Player of the Season.

The highly-rated central defender has been virtually an ever-present for Hull this season and his performances are thought to have alerted a number of Premier League clubs.

With Gerrard now having his eligibility being resolved he could come into contention for Trapattoni's plans for next month's Carling Nations Cup games against Northern Ireland and Scotland.
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11688_6900147,00.html

SwanVsDalton
27/04/2011, 12:37 PM
Welcome aboard. Not sure he'll make the Carling Cup games but will surely go on the US tour and has a great chance of getting a look in if he impresses.

geysir
27/04/2011, 1:13 PM
We are reaching desperation for CH options with Dunne a definite non starter, St Ledger banjaxed and Josh injured?
It wouldn't surprise me if he was called in to the Carling cup squad.

BonnieShels
27/04/2011, 1:34 PM
God bless our diaspora.

Sullivinho
27/04/2011, 1:42 PM
Good to see players with growing reputations entering the fold. Himself and Chambers must be in the running for the US trip.

Cuyahoga
27/04/2011, 8:17 PM
hope we dont start calling him Tony G !

geysir
27/04/2011, 9:21 PM
Anto - he has that jackeen look about him.

BonnieShels
28/04/2011, 2:42 PM

Well for starters it'll be Anto. We can work on the surname treatment later.

tetsujin1979
28/04/2011, 2:48 PM
Well for starters it'll be Anto. We can work on the surname treatment later.
Anto Gearoid?

BonnieShels
28/04/2011, 7:18 PM
Not that way. It'll be Anto G, who are kidding.

mastershake
29/04/2011, 3:17 AM
Imagine if we had Gerrard and Rooney in the same national team.Oh its Anthony and John.Shame that:(

TrapAPony
29/04/2011, 9:07 AM
Imagine if we had Gerrard and Rooney in the same national team.Oh its Anthony and John.Shame that:(
Anton Ferdinand too.

dr_peepee
29/04/2011, 9:27 PM
Jayzus... We'll be like a made for TV american B movie starring Don Swayze and Charlie Murphy... Patrick and Eddie's lesser known moderately talented brothers!!

SkStu
29/04/2011, 10:30 PM
Jayzus... We'll be like a made for TV american B movie starring Don Swayze and Charlie Murphy... Patrick and Eddie's lesser known moderately talented brothers!!

jaysus, did you stop watching movies in the 80's or something? ;) :D

dr_peepee
30/04/2011, 7:20 AM

Everything's ****e since Roy Orbison died!!

AlaskaFox
30/04/2011, 8:46 AM

Not like Eddie Murphy's career is doing well at this stage. Nor Patrick Swayze's for that matter.

I don't see John Rooney ever getting an Irish cap (outside of the proposed US Tour).

TrapAPony
30/04/2011, 2:36 PM
Just scored against Crystal Palace.

SkStu
30/04/2011, 2:43 PM
Nor Patrick Swayze's for that matter.

yeah, his actings been a bit stiff lately.

Anyway, back on topic, goal against Crystal Palace for Gerrard today.

Irishman, Anthony Gerrard fires in a goal from inside the six-yard box low into the middle of the goal. Hull 1-0 Crystal Palace.

TrapAPony
17/05/2011, 2:10 AM
Anthony Gerrard is set to leave Cardiff in a £3million transfer this summer unless Dave Jones’s side win promotion to the Premier League.
Several top-flight clubs have expressed an interest in the 25-year-old defender after he impressed on loan at Hull City this season.
Gerrard, who is in line for a Republic of Ireland call-up after declaring his eligibility, has now returned to Cardiff but is unlikely to stay unless they go up through the Championship play-offs.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1387766/Anthony-Gerrard-leave-Cardiff-summer.html

SolitudeRed
11/09/2011, 11:24 PM
Scored for Cardiff against Doncaster on Saturday, I had forgotten about him! He seems like he could be a decent prospect but does Trap see it that way will be interesting to see if he gets a call up in the future.

tricky_colour
24/01/2012, 7:01 PM
Starts for Cardiff in the cup it's on BBC2 now (v Palace). He's number 6

amaccann
24/01/2012, 9:17 PM
Scannell for Palace is one of ours, isn't he?

gastric
24/01/2012, 9:41 PM

He certainly is!

SkStu
25/01/2012, 1:19 AM

you mean the braids and skin colour wasnt a giveaway?!?!

punkrocket
25/01/2012, 10:31 AM
Don't really see what skin tone/haircut has to do with anything but Scannell looked pretty decent to me when he came on, had a really positive attitude. Pity he didn't score his penalty though.

the bear
25/01/2012, 10:33 AM
how come he wasn't starting i thought he was one of the main men at palace these days?

the bear
25/01/2012, 10:35 AM
gerrard looks like a good centre half, has he defo declared for us?

Charlie Darwin
25/01/2012, 11:55 AM
how come he wasn't starting i thought he was one of the main men at palace these days?
He's been in and out of the team with injuries and loss of form. He won his place back in the first team a couple of weeks ago and got sent off within 45 minutes which didn't really help his cause.

Colbert Report
26/02/2012, 5:09 PM
Just came on in the first half of extra time in the League Cup final.

AlaskaFox
26/02/2012, 5:44 PM
Missed the final penalty, and Liverpool win.

Eirambler
26/02/2012, 7:04 PM
Unlucky for him. He missed the last one which is always the one remembered. Would have to be more critical of a senior player like Kenny Misser than Gerrard though. Misser missed a sitter at the end of normal time to win it and then missed his penalty as well. One of the worst international strikers I have ever seen.

tricky_colour
26/02/2012, 8:32 PM

Ha ha, I expect most people do not get that one, Tony G is in fact a famous poker player well famous in the the rather small world of poker.

Here he is, I am surprised the other guy did not hit him here!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EprGnEjm2oE&feature=related

tricky_colour
26/02/2012, 8:35 PM
Unlucky for him. He missed the last one which is always the one remembered. Would have to be more critical of a senior player like Kenny Misser than Gerrard though. Misser missed a sitter at the end of normal time to win it and then missed his penalty as well. One of the worst international strikers I have ever seen.

Yes Steven Gerrard also missed his penalty but of course his miss will not be remembered in the same way.
It's always better to go first rather than last in that respect.

geysir
26/02/2012, 9:40 PM
Yes Steven Gerrard also missed his penalty but of course his miss will not be remembered in the same way.
It's always better to go first rather than last in that respect.

The last shall be first remembered and the first be last remembered.

Crosby87
26/02/2012, 11:36 PM
Choked worse than Debbie in Debbie does...ahh nevermind.

Yard of Pace
24/09/2012, 9:09 PM
A rock tonight for 2nd place Huddersfield in their 3-1 away win against Blackpool ;)

Had to wait for his chance due to a suspension for Joel Lynch. Was patient and came in and delivered in spades.