PDA

View Full Version : LOI Div1 : Limerick FC Vs Longford Friday 25th March (Home)

bluepowers
19/03/2011, 2:55 AM
this will be a tuf game im going limerick 2-1

Ryan

C.Tracy (Broughall) ' Purcell ' McCarthy ' Frost

Breen ' Judge ' O Leary ' Tracy

Quinn

Hynes

hope to see corie start at right back but doubt it . hopefully we get 3 points in this game . sean o connor could start too hope to see him

Jofspring
20/03/2011, 8:57 PM
Longford struggled to beat Mervue but so did Cork.

We need a decent performance as much as anything on Friday.

I would be hoping something like

B.Ryan
C.Tracey
Purcell
McCarthy
Frost
Breen
O Leary
Judge
O Connor
Hynes
Quinn

Don't think there is much point making a lot of changes. Wouldn't mind seeing O Connor get a start and see how he gets on from the get go.

Limerick 2-1 Longford

bluewhitearmy
20/03/2011, 9:31 PM
Id hope for same team as Jof but i can see him going waith Brouaghall again which will be a disaster.

I think 0-0.

Monkfish
20/03/2011, 10:00 PM
2-1 to Longford, 4-5-1 where we lump it to our lone forward for 90mins and the odd time he wins the ball it drops to a midfielder ten yards behind the play.

gspain
21/03/2011, 2:58 PM
Longford struggled to beat Mervue but so did Cork.

So did we pre-season - very lucky to win 3-2.

Mervue are better this season than last. I'd be very very happy to grind out a 1-0 win there next month.

Tough game on friday and a "must win". 2-1 to Limerick.

Castletroy_Blue
21/03/2011, 8:53 PM
Another early goal like against Salthill and we should be fine. A comfortable 3 points in my opinion. Although so early in the season, as gspain mentions, it does have an air of 'must win' about it.

2-0 to the mighty blues.

theballboy
21/03/2011, 9:44 PM
limerick to win 2 nil

jaorta
21/03/2011, 10:11 PM
one nil to the Limerick...

osarusan
21/03/2011, 10:32 PM
A scrappy 1-0 win after a poor performance.

streaker
22/03/2011, 7:00 PM
2 . 1 to longford brouaghall to give plenty small crowd scully making excuses.

harpin
23/03/2011, 7:46 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but this is the fourth game of the season not the 24th, on another thread there was someone implying Scully should be sacked, I understand football fans by nature are pessimistic but seriously this is like a Sky phone in show

Anyway onwards and upwards Limerick to win

joeSoap
23/03/2011, 10:42 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but this is the fourth game of the season not the 24th, on another thread there was someone implying Scully should be sacked, I understand football fans by nature are pessimistic but seriously this is like a Sky phone in show It's a fans forum...everybody is entitled to their opinion, as long as it is objective and not libellous. It might be only the 4th game, but its his third season and he has received every bit of support he has looked for from the club. Only fair that people are expectant in my book.

harpin
23/03/2011, 12:14 PM
It's a fans forum...everybody is entitled to their opinion, as long as it is objective and not libellous. It might be only the 4th game, but its his third season and he has received every bit of support he has looked for from the club. Only fair that people are expectant in my book.

Do you think he has progreesed the club since he's been here?

Injuries and suspensions also hasn't helped the start of this campaign, 1win 1 draw 1loss, looking at the fixtures at the start of the season would you have taken this regardless of the teams performance?

bluewhitearmy
23/03/2011, 2:31 PM
Asking for Scully to be sacked this early is a bit mad...But if performances dont seriously improve by the end of the 1st series of games then it will have to be looked at.

That performance against Cork was a disgrace and no injuries or susupensions are an excuse for that you build a squad to deal with that.

Saying that though if we are to win the next 2 its back to everyone saying we are great again. Im like everyone else i expect things this year its grand progressing from 7th to 5th and i know Pat has made us better and more professional but we are still stuck in this graveyard of a division. But we are 3 games in so nothing to say that Pat wont be the man to get us out of it this year we have the squad to do it.

If we dont get up this year then the 1st year in the Markets Field will be wasted in the 1st divison.

Jofspring
23/03/2011, 5:04 PM
Do you think he has progreesed the club since he's been here? ?

I think he has. I know there are plenty of people behind the scenes that have had a huge part to play but I feel we have improved on and off the field under Scully. Although we are still stuck in this divison I think we have to take into account some of the teams that have been in it since Scully took over. Derry, Sporting Fingal, UCD (a lot of the players that played that season have gone on to play with top teams), Waterford, Cork, Shels and Monaghan (who have gotten a lot stronger). If we where in the same position now as we where before Scully I think we would be in the lower bracket of this division fighting at the bottom half of the league instead of the top half. I also think expectations at the club have risen too which adds more pressure but he kind of brought that on himself when saying we where going out to win the league.

There are some obvious flaws on the field at the moment but it is up to him to use the players he has signed to rectify it. Broughall has had a tough start but is still young, he looks like he could be a decent player but needs more experience.

The only disappointment I have had in Scullys signings is the lack of an experienced midfielder this season. In fairness he did sign Boland last season but that didn't work out like we all would have liked.

He needs to be given time this season with the new players to see what kind of quality we have signed and then make our minds up. We haven't even really seen O Connor and C.Tracey play yet so they could make a big difference. If we make no strides on the field then it will be time to talk about someone else coming in but for now I think he needs a chance. Look at Dundalk, they wanted Gill out at one stage (in a weaker division mind) but in the end they stuck by him and he got them promoted.

thomas72
23/03/2011, 6:25 PM
I think he has. I know there are plenty of people behind the scenes that have had a huge part to play but I feel we have improved on and off the field under Scully. Although we are still stuck in this divison I think we have to take into account some of the teams that have been in it since Scully took over. Derry, Sporting Fingal, UCD (a lot of the players that played that season have gone on to play with top teams), Waterford, Cork, Shels and Monaghan (who have gotten a lot stronger). If we where in the same position now as we where before Scully I think we would be in the lower bracket of this division fighting at the bottom half of the league instead of the top half. I also think expectations at the club have risen too which adds more pressure but he kind of brought that on himself when saying we where going out to win the league.

There are some obvious flaws on the field at the moment but it is up to him to use the players he has signed to rectify it. Broughall has had a tough start but is still young, he looks like he could be a decent player but needs more experience.

The only disappointment I have had in Scullys signings is the lack of an experienced midfielder this season. In fairness he did sign Boland last season but that didn't work out like we all would have liked.

He needs to be given time this season with the new players to see what kind of quality we have signed and then make our minds up. We haven't even really seen O Connor and C.Tracey play yet so they could make a big difference. If we make no strides on the field then it will be time to talk about someone else coming in but for now I think he needs a chance. Look at Dundalk, they wanted Gill out at one stage (in a weaker division mind) but in the end they stuck by him and he got them promoted.

Agree with alot of those points but IMO what will AGAIN cost limerick promotion is the centre of midfield For LOI football looking to get promotion its nowhere near good enough to young and weak. last season scully stuck with sean kelly for the whole season he was woeful and cost us countless goals lets all hope he does not do the same with broughall if he does queastions will be asked about him.
have we moved forward under scully we play a better brand of football alright we like to keep it on the floor like it should be, my big big prob with scully is he did not address the prob of centre mid he has started the season with judge and o leary who are not good enough a top experiance player was needed it he did not sign one. and by doing that it will cost limerick fc promotion you can see already this season we are stuggling there.

bluewhitearmy
23/03/2011, 6:55 PM
Do people think that if we dont go up this year it will be a failure?

LK37oldskool
23/03/2011, 7:05 PM

I thimk so.As many have said here behind the scenes, lots of improvements have been made and by his own account when Scully has gone to the board to ask for funds for players he has been accomadated.He has brought in the players HE thinks can gat the club promoted.I think he nearly has except for the midfield scenario.Like many here have stated we need a defensive midfielder to allow the likes of O'Leary and Judge to do their thing.
Personally i think we had a better squad when Ski Magee was in charge.
For me its promotion or Scully goes.

Jofspring
23/03/2011, 10:24 PM

Ya I think so and to be honest I think Scully would think the same. The main problem is this division is getting harder and harder to get out of, in saying that though I think the following season won't be as tough as this season if lets say Cork, Shels and Waterford left this division. I think as you said bluewhitearmy, after the first series of games we will have a good idea where we stand with regards the other teams. No point judging it off the first 3 or 4 games. Finn Harps, Cork and Shels as our first three away games was always going to be very tough and could have gone either way. We weren't outstanding up in Donegal from the accounts of it so a draw out of Finn Harps was a decent result up there and we where very poor down in Cork but Cork still only managed to just about come away with a 1-0 victory. With a stronger starting 11 than that and even a slight improvement in performance then we could be picking up results in most games I think.

Longford Town (H) win
Shelbourne (A) Loss
Wexford Youths (H) Win
Mervue United (A) Win
Athlone Town (H) Win
Monaghan United (A) Draw
Waterford United (H) Win

Leave us on 20 pts.

I think the results could very easily go in that order with most the squad available and if they do we will be in a great position after the first series.

bluewhitearmy
24/03/2011, 11:58 AM
Ya I think so and to be honest I think Scully would think the same. The main problem is this division is getting harder and harder to get out of, in saying that though I think the following season won't be as tough as this season if lets say Cork, Shels and Waterford left this division. I think as you said bluewhitearmy, after the first series of games we will have a good idea where we stand with regards the other teams. No point judging it off the first 3 or 4 games. Finn Harps, Cork and Shels as our first three away games was always going to be very tough and could have gone either way. We weren't outstanding up in Donegal from the accounts of it so a draw out of Finn Harps was a decent result up there and we where very poor down in Cork but Cork still only managed to just about come away with a 1-0 victory. With a stronger starting 11 than that and even a slight improvement in performance then we could be picking up results in most games I think.

Longford Town (H) win
Shelbourne (A) Loss
Wexford Youths (H) Win
Mervue United (A) Win
Athlone Town (H) Win
Monaghan United (A) Draw
Waterford United (H) Win

Leave us on 20 pts.

I think the results could very easily go in that order with most the squad available and if they do we will be in a great position after the first series.

If results did go like that we would be in a very healthy position. Only thing id worry about is people keep saying it will be grand when when we get the injured and suspended lads back but what about when we get more injuries and suspensions will people accept more performances like Cork then?

We never threathened Cork at all we had no ideas going forward it was the same thing over and over again it was clear it wasnt working but they didnt change it at all they just kept going the same way. If we dont have Steve i think we will find it very very hard to score.

And people saying that Garvan Broughall is only 19 that is not an excuse you are either good enough or not if it is the fact that he is only young and inexperienced then he should be playing for the A team like Yellow(Thomas Lyons) has been. If we had no-one else to play there then fair enough but we had Pete White sitting on the bench in Cork.

Jofspring
24/03/2011, 5:21 PM
And people saying that Garvan Broughall is only 19 that is not an excuse you are either good enough or not if it is the fact that he is only young and inexperienced then he should be playing for the A team like Yellow(Thomas Lyons) has been. If we had no-one else to play there then fair enough but we had Pete White sitting on the bench in Cork.

I agree that if he is not up to it yet he should be with the A team and Peter White should have been playing there. Peter was one of our best defenders at the start of last season and even when he was put in midfield I thought he did a good job at breaking up opposition attacks. That was his job and he did it well.

joeSoap
25/03/2011, 12:11 PM
Getting back on topic.... I see Longford have signed the legendary Keith Gillespie for the rest of the season. Pretty good signing if he retains even half the skill and ability he had at United and Newcastle til the gambling got the better of him. Nice to see him still playing. Be nice if he was in the squad for tonight...would add to the occasion.

Jofspring
25/03/2011, 12:13 PM
Getting back on topic.... I see Longford have signed the legendary Keith Gillespie for the rest of the season. Pretty good signing if he retains even half the skill and ability he had at United and Newcastle til the gambling got the better of him. Nice to see him still playing. Be nice if he was in the squad for tonight...would add to the occasion.

Not available till next week against Athlone supposedly. Would have been nice to see him feature tonight alright even if he is past it and not the player he was.

bluewhitearmy
25/03/2011, 5:21 PM
Lads at Glentoran were saying he was awful when he was with them.

Just to go off topic again for a second (Sorry Joe).

The way we are short in the middle of someone defemsive would have been handy if we could hav eheld onto John Sullivan he would do the job there.

Jofspring
25/03/2011, 9:22 PM
We weren't outstanding but a deserved win I thought. Defensively we where a bit better. Couldn't believe how much weight Purcell has lost, his fitness looks excellent. Longford could have easily snuck a draw though. Hynes I thought was excellent again tonight for pure work rate, set up Judgie nicely. Great finish by Judge too. Hynes needs someone like O Flynn with hime to get the goals. O Leary again took a while to get into it but got stuck in a bit more in the second half. Paudie Quinn seems a little lost at centre forward, he wants the ball to feet and he is not a ball winner so when its pumped to him its wasted. All round I thought we looked a little more solid in key positions barr yet again a tough midfielder. Improvement needed for next week but I still wouldn't be expecting a result up there.

thomas72
25/03/2011, 9:23 PM
limerick 1 longford town 0

deserved 3pts tonight poor first half from limerick but upped it big time in the 2nd half judge took his goal very well limerick should of put longford away after that they had 3 or 4 great chances to kill them off and nearly paid for it when the longford no9 i think missed a free header 6yrds out easier to score.
longford had about 2 shots on target in the whole game if that. limerick really missing steven o flynn and gary sheehan up front we need to start taken or chances just aswell stevo is back next week.

all in all a good 3pts more so since we are playing without or two first choice strikers

Jofspring
25/03/2011, 9:32 PM
just aswell stevo is back next week.

Is he? according to extratime last week before the Cork match it said O'Flynn still had two matches to go for the red card and 1 for yellows. That would mean he is gone for Shels. Would be a great boost if he is back.

bluewhitearmy
25/03/2011, 10:09 PM
Is he? according to extratime last week before the Cork match it said O'Flynn still had two matches to go for the red card and 1 for yellows. That would mean he is gone for Shels. Would be a great boost if he is back.

Tonight and Monday in the league cup are the 2 games he sack for Shels.

inmoscow
25/03/2011, 11:56 PM
The best performance i had seen in 20 years was hughes/lyons v dundalk a couple of years ago,Dundalk packed out with seasoned pros,but our young inexperienced lads outplaying them, and getting up and looking for more.thought i had seen the future that night,obs not

bluepowers
26/03/2011, 12:11 AM
judgey and o leary had great games tonight jason hughes went off the boil he was offered a new deal with us but went to the boro .. yellow is injured so he will be back

Jofspring
26/03/2011, 8:40 AM
The best performance i had seen in 20 years was hughes/lyons v dundalk a couple of years ago,Dundalk packed out with seasoned pros,but our young inexperienced lads outplaying them, and getting up and looking for more.thought i had seen the future that night,obs not

Would have to agree about that performance but as bluewhitearmy says Hughes didn't reach those kinds of performances the next season. He missed a lot of the start of the next season with Ireland under 18's and trials with Birmingham, when he came back from them he wasn't the same player. Still a good player though.

Nice one about O'Flynn too, I had forgot about the EA Cup game counting.

legendz
26/03/2011, 10:07 AM
It's great to see Limerick doing well. It's going to be a tough season.

lfc at heart
26/03/2011, 10:25 AM
Lads that game last night was terrible to watch, I would class it as one of my top ten worse games Limerick have played in Jackman park, there was no shape to them, they didnt battle for the ball and will need to improve, they were so bad even the die hard fans in the stand didnt start singing till half way through the second half

on a positive note, yes Pat Purcell has lost a **** load of weight and looks super fit

Jofspring
26/03/2011, 11:38 AM
Lads that game last night was terrible to watch, I would class it as one of my top ten worse games Limerick have played in Jackman park, there was no shape to them, they didnt battle for the ball and will need to improve, they were so bad even the die hard fans in the stand didnt start singing till half way through the second half

on a positive note, yes Pat Purcell has lost a **** load of weight and looks super fit

Wasn't a great game but I've definitely seen a lot worse games in Jackman than that. A few 0-0 draws with Athlone, getting stuffed by Cork x2 last season , Waterford beating us handy a few times, Sporting Fingal beating us handy, losing 4-1 to Longford, Derry beating us twice, losing 2-1 to Kildare County and a few other end of season nothing games, Monaghan giving us a handy beating last season twice (once in the league and once in the cup) just to name a few. Thought our shape was okay last night, simple 4-4-2 for pretty much all the game, Breen looked decent on the wing, Corie Tracey looked solid enough at the back, as did the rest of the back 4 and Longford aren't that bad a side. They are solid enough at the back are decent in midfield and if they could finish their chances would be decent up front too. We still have Sean O Connor to get fit and O'Flynn to come back into the team. Hopefully mid way through the season we can Gary Sheehan to that too. Yellow has to come back from injury also and will add a great option from the bench.

bluepowers
27/03/2011, 4:52 AM

dont think it was that bad and the support will get better as always from us in the stand

bluewhitearmy
27/03/2011, 11:19 PM
dont think it was that bad and the support will get better as always from us in the stand

Hard to get going when the club are paying 4 security guards just to stand around the lads in the shed. Not a waste of money at all :rolleyes:

Jofspring
28/03/2011, 12:08 PM
Anybody know if the matches that are now being recorded are going to be available to watch back online or are they going to be just kept for the team to watch back.

harpin
28/03/2011, 2:23 PM
Hard to get going when the club are paying 4 security guards just to stand around the lads in the shed. Not a waste of money at all :rolleyes:

I thought they were just stewards with nicer jackets...I have stood at the far side ever since the seats came or should I say safe side considering security have to fence ye in

da bishop
28/03/2011, 10:04 PM
another vital 3pts and another home clean sheet,the performance?lets just be thankfull for the 3pts.

Monkfish
29/03/2011, 1:50 AM
considering security have to fence ye in

The animals in the corner have said curse words once too often hence the paid security surrounding them. The stand was a much safer place for the 2 parents and kid on a freebe ticket last Friday.

harpin
29/03/2011, 9:50 AM
The animals in the corner have said curse words once too often hence the paid security surrounding them. The stand was a much safer place for the 2 parents and kid on a freebe ticket last Friday.

Unbelievable.....expect one to be standing beside Scully and one to be running around after O'Flynn at the Youths game

Lim till i die
29/03/2011, 10:29 AM
The stand crowd are getting their own area in the Markets Field in fairness:

http://randomranger.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/polish_football_cage_1.jpg