PDA

View Full Version : Sligo match

naoise kennedy
18/03/2011, 10:52 PM
Much better performance from the lads tonight, it looked like a different team , they played with fight, challenged everything last years passion was there again.
Dempsey is a different class, ran everywhere and saved us a few times in the defense, mulroy also gave a good performance , zambra played well in the first half but was quieter down his side in the second half, my man of the match shields was fantastic gave his all again and agian, would have liked to see the two lads on earlier but can also see that devo did not want to loss the match.

I still have a worry about all the players not giving there all, not tracking back and generally not working as hard as the other players...

Bray-Z
18/03/2011, 11:35 PM
I still have a worry about all the players not giving there all, not tracking back and generally not working as hard as the other players...

Who are you talking about? I thought everyone worked their socks off tonight and tracked back, bar Mulroy of course who did brilliantly considering the majority of the time when he got the ball he was isolated with his back to goal and surrounded by 2 or 3 Sligo players.

Captain2007
19/03/2011, 6:58 AM
Just to put things in to perspective lads, Sligo's wage bill 20k per week, Bray's approx. 2k a week, our lads ran themselves in to the ground last night and deserved a point against a top 2 team,difficult to say who were the full-time and part-timer's last night,hard to single out one performance, IMO it was an excellent team effort.

The Fox
19/03/2011, 7:11 AM
good performance overall and i know you have to cut your cloth against some of the top teams and it is a point more than we got against sligo last year. My only concern is that we would be as negative, with 5 often in the midfield, against weaker teams.
Chris was good in midfield but he could have been a real problem to them further up the field. With more support the ball might have stuck up front for longer. We did invite sligo to have a lot of pressure although they didnt make that many clear chances with it. They really misssed Ndo and will miss McCabe, lack that bit of creativity to win the League.
I thought the subs could have been on 5 or 10mins earlier - not because anyone was playing poorly but because we should try to cause them headeches, and we did score 3 last week with them on the pitch albeit chasing a game.
I thought Keane should have been sent off - even if he wasnt the last man, it surely comes under the heading of professional foul??!! The ref was a bit of a joke in that respect - Dempsey got booked for not being back 10 yards from a free - he must have been given 1 second to get out of the way. And Blinkhorn spends the whole game standing in front of the goalie mouthing off to the ref saying that he is taking too long and doesnt even get a warning!

rocket
19/03/2011, 2:41 PM
Great result last night, 4 points from Bohs , Pats , and Sligo any team in the league would be happy with that. Everybody played their part, Mulroy had a great game, Jake was very quiet again, i know Chris works his socks off every week but he needs to do more with the ball when he has it, he lost possession a lot in the last couple of games ive seen, dempsey another solid performance.

sligoman
19/03/2011, 6:32 PM
Very poor performance from us. Plenty of opportunity to score but wasted the chances, quicker Ndo is back the better. He wont stand for the hoofing we were at last night.

I thought Keane should have been sent off - even if he wasnt the last man, it surely comes under the heading of professional foul??!I'd be more concerned as to why your player went down and didn't stay on his feet (which he could have) and try to score considering he had a great chance to if he did continue on.

Dempsey got booked for not being back 10 yards from a free - he must have been given 1 second to get out of the way.No point just making stuff up is there? Richie attempted to take the free-kick and Dempsey blocked it, definite booking.

redobit
19/03/2011, 8:13 PM
Just to put things in to perspective lads, Sligo's wage bill 20k per week, Bray's approx. 2k a week, our lads ran themselves in to the ground last night and deserved a point against a top 2 team,difficult to say who were the full-time and part-timer's last night,hard to single out one performance, IMO it was an excellent team effort.

Haha. Its more like half that Captain.

rocket
19/03/2011, 8:21 PM
Very poor performance from us. Plenty of opportunity to score but wasted the chances, quicker Ndo is back the better. He wont stand for the hoofing we were at last night.
I'd be more concerned as to why your player went down and didn't stay on his feet (which he could have) and try to score considering he had a great chance to if he did continue on.
No point just making stuff up is there? Richie attempted to take the free-kick and Dempsey blocked it, definite booking.
Thanks for your concern, but it would be hard for him to stay on his feet and score when both feet were taken from under him, definite red card, well deserved point for bray.

Stevo Da Gull
19/03/2011, 11:20 PM
Good point. Sligo looked the more likely winners, and created one real chance of note which was hit at Gregg from 2-3 yards. I suppose after scoring 4 and conceeding 5 in our opening two games, we should be very pleased with the clean sheet. Hopefully we'll create more next week in Belfield :)

rocket
20/03/2011, 12:33 PM
Good point. Sligo looked the more likely winners, and created one real chance of note which was hit at Gregg from 2-3 yards. I suppose after scoring 4 and conceeding 5 in our opening two games, we should be very pleased with the clean sheet. Hopefully we'll create more next week in Belfield :)

Yeah devo got his tatics spot on for the sligo game,hopefully were a bit more attack minded for U C D , we defenitely have players that could give them a lot of problems.

The Fox
20/03/2011, 12:54 PM
[QUOTE=sligoman;1466160]I'd be more concerned as to why your player went down and didn't stay on his feet (which he could have) and try to score considering he had a great chance to if he did continue on.

Dont get me started on Keane - we had 2 players down after a collision and dempsey put the ball out - lets just say the ball wasnt thrown back

Roo69
20/03/2011, 1:17 PM
Right, it was my first League game of the season on Friday and heres my two cents worth... I was dissapointed all-round, i thought it was a very poor game and for all the hype around Sligo, they were extremely average. Bray can play and have played much better, i felt the way the game was going we could have tried to push on a bit more.

Sligo had more of the ball but most of the time did nothing with it, a long range pot luck chance on 5 minutes was about the height of it in the first half, few corners etc... never really got in behind us and caused major panic. Same with us attacking them, few corners, free kicks into the box but never caused any problems.

2nd half was pretty much the same, Sligo edged possesion and apart from Keane's shot at the back post, which was a shocking miss and Raf's lobbed effort they offer much up front, again they never really threatened to pull us apart or cause real problems.

Mulroy was excellent, played a thankless roll up front on his own really. His first touch is quality, held the ball up really well and was very unlucky with his run and shot that hit the post.

Keane defo should have seen red, he was the last man, mulroy knocked the ball by him and was taken down, no other option than a red card by the rules of the game.

Onwards and upwards though, i would have taken 4 points from our first 3 games when i looked at them before the season started, it's been a very tough start so hats off to everyone involved for the good solid start.

redobit
20/03/2011, 1:38 PM
and for all the hype around Sligo, they were extremely average.

HI Roo. Just on that - I think it's more a media based spin, if you talk to most Sligo Rovers fans they are a lot more realistic on our chances this season. Dont know why either but we always start the season off poorly.

sligoman
20/03/2011, 1:51 PM
Dont get me started on Keane - we had 2 players down after a collision and dempsey put the ball out - lets just say the ball wasnt thrown backI remember that incident for a reason but cant remember exactly why. Think the players had got up again so no reason for Dempsey to kick it out in the first place so naturally we wouldn't give you it back, even though we did cos Blinks kicked it out for ye then.

Roo69
20/03/2011, 4:21 PM
HI Roo. Just on that - I think it's more a media based spin, if you talk to most Sligo Rovers fans they are a lot more realistic on our chances this season. Dont know why either but we always start the season off poorly.

I suppose the hype comes with being double cup winners and not being far off the League title last season. Sligo will defo get better, just glad they didn't start against us.

The Fox
20/03/2011, 10:05 PM
I remember that incident for a reason but cant remember exactly why. Think the players had got up again so no reason for Dempsey to kick it out in the first place so naturally we wouldn't give you it back, even though we did cos Blinks kicked it out for ye then.

Thats right the players did not get attention, but Dempsey put the ball out, under no pressure from any Sligo player for them to get attention. Matthew Blinkhorn definitely did not give the ball back, you attacked from the throw!!!

sligoman
21/03/2011, 12:41 PM
Matthew Blinkhorn definitely did not give the ball back, you attacked from the throw!!!We'll have to disagree on that one then. Keane(who was going to play on yes, no reason not to) threw the ball to him and he kicked it out.

SupaJon
21/03/2011, 8:23 PM
Thats right the players did not get attention, but Dempsey put the ball out, under no pressure from any Sligo player for them to get attention. Matthew Blinkhorn definitely did not give the ball back, you attacked from the throw!!!

We did the same in the Bohs match, as far as I can remember.