PDA

View Full Version : Adam Barton

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Scooby Doo
15/03/2011, 2:55 PM
Apologies if there is already an Adam Barton thread in existence. Reporting on YBIG that he has been called into the Ireland U-21's today!? Cant find any links to support this.

'Adam Barton, capped by Norn Iron in a friendly against Morocco has been selected by Noel King for the U21's against Portugal.

Barton, 20, was born in Blackburn plays for Preston.

Arsenals Conor Henderson is also included.

Republic of Ireland squad
Ian McLoughlin - Stockport County FC (on loan from Ipswich Town)
Michael Quirke - Coventry City FC
Richie Towell - Hibernian FC (on loan from Celtic)
Shane Duffy - Everton FC
Gavin Gunning - Motherwell FC (on loan from Blackburn Rovers)
Shane O’Connor - Ipswich Town FC
Rob Kiernan - Wycombe Wanderers FC (on loan from Watford)
Damian McCrory - Dagenham & Redbridge FC
Adam Barton - Preston North End FC
Mark Connolly - Bolton Wanderers FC
Conor Henderson - Arsenal FC
Jamie Devitt - Hull City FC
Sean Scannell - Crystal Palace FC
Conor Clifford - Chelsea FC
James Collins - Shrewsbury Town FC
Joe Mason - Plymouth Argyle FC
Paddy Madden - Carlisle United FC'

OWC will go into meltdown if this is true!

tetsujin1979
15/03/2011, 3:01 PM
born in Blackburn, played for the North, and now declaring for the Republic.

Scooby Doo
15/03/2011, 3:05 PM
http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=101607:king-names-u21-squad-for-portugal-friendly&catid=3:under-21&Itemid=11

Included in the squad is Coventry City goalkeeper, Michael Quirke who receives his first Republic of Ireland international call-up as does Preston North End midfielder, Adam Barton who previously made an appearance for Nigel Worthington's Northern Ireland senior team in a friendly versus Morocco last November.

Charlie Darwin
15/03/2011, 3:17 PM
That is some serious journeyman behaviour.

Scooby Doo
15/03/2011, 3:20 PM
Cue GR, NB and EG...

Stuttgart88
15/03/2011, 3:45 PM
Cue GR, NB and EG......with some justification?

Is this the guy who asked to be withdrawn from a NI squad because he hadn't made his mind up yet? Or something like that anyway.

boovidge
15/03/2011, 3:48 PM
wow. so this switch means that he can't change to anyone else then? didn't see this one coming.

tetsujin1979
15/03/2011, 3:50 PM
...with some justification?

Is this the guy who asked to be withdrawn from a NI squad because he hadn't made his mind up yet? Or something like that anyway.
Agreed, there's some justification for any ire towards him
yeah, he pulled out of their games in October so he would remain eligible for England - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/irish/9044523.stm

Adam Barton has withdrawn from the Northern Ireland squad for their next two Euro 2012 qualifiers in order to remain eligible for England.

boovidge
15/03/2011, 3:52 PM
Even though I'm pleased that we have a talented youngster in the setup I don't actually agree with this, once you play for a senior side you should be tied, so regarding this particular rule I think N.I do have every right to be agrieved.

SwanVsDalton
15/03/2011, 3:57 PM
I'd be pretty miffed, and the guy sounds like a total mercenary. But more importantly - is he any good? ;)

Yard of Pace
15/03/2011, 3:59 PM
He didn't make the rules! What's the problem in playing by them? He should be welcomed, sure he's only a kid. I didn't know my arse from my elbow at that age.

ifk101
15/03/2011, 4:00 PM
:bigsmile:

Scooby Doo
15/03/2011, 4:02 PM
Yep...played most of a friendly IIRC. In fairness, we would be seriously p!ssed if this happened with us. Poor example, but imagine if Jamie O'Hara joined our squad and then defected northwards soon after...

Lionel Ritchie
15/03/2011, 4:02 PM
I'd be pretty miffed, and the guy sounds like a total mercenary. But more importantly - is he any good? ;)

I hope so -but he appears to be as confused as an asian skinhead. Maybe he should check out the Welsh and Scottish setups as well just so he's sure he's sure. Try the porridge, have a lie down on each bed.

Not Brazil
15/03/2011, 4:21 PM
Cue GR, NB and EG...

Hi Mr Doo.

It's, as always, nice and straightforward for me on this issue.

Question:

Do you want to play for Northern Ireland?

Answer:

No, or, I'm not really sure.

Response:

Goodbye.

The Fly
15/03/2011, 4:21 PM
How does Barton qualify to play for us?

boovidge
15/03/2011, 4:22 PM
as far as we know- through a NI-born grandparent.

Yard of Pace
15/03/2011, 4:27 PM
Yep...played most of a friendly IIRC. In fairness, we would be seriously p!ssed if this happened with us. Poor example, but imagine if Jamie O'Hara joined our squad and then defected northwards soon after...

I'd have no problem. The rules are there and they've been deemed fair. If we lose a great player sometime then so be it.

I'm sick of all this mercenary rubbish everytime. Some guys just don't care all that much about nationality. I have friends who will support Ireland but don't care so much about Ireland, if you know what I mean. I have a friend who played LOI football who'd have gladly switched country if he thought he could get a game or play at a higher level. He wasn't so hung up about being "Ireland till I die". And he represented Ireland at colleges level, by the way. Personally, I am. But I recognise that others simply aren't.

dr_peepee
15/03/2011, 5:10 PM
Poor example, but imagine if Jamie O'Hara joined our squad and then defected northwards soon after...

I wouldn't have held it against mcCarthy had he thrown his lot in with Scotland to be honest. Disappointed, sure, but that's about it.

EalingGreen
15/03/2011, 5:12 PM

Blowed if I know.

It is reported that Barton qualified for NI via an NI-born grandparent:
"Adam Barton, who was born in Blackburn and qualifies to play for Northern Ireland through his grandfather, was thrown onto the international stage against Morocco"
Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/international/barton-keeps-guessing-game-going-after-northern-ireland-debut-15008047.html#ixzz1GglFe8WC

And as has been noted elsewhere on this forum, an Irish-born grandparent (NI or ROI) does not automatically qualify someone for Irish nationality, therefore such a person is not eligible for ROI under FIFA Article 15.

Of course, such a person may apply for Irish Natioinality, and expect to receive it, and we may assume Barton will/has.

Anyhow, whilst it did not tie him to us exclusively, surely the fact of Barton's having played for us in a friendly v Morocco means that he must first have been registered as an NI national? In which case, should he wish to switch to represent another country, he must be deemed by FIFA to be "acquiring a new nationality".

In which case, he would need to establish his eligibility for his "new" country under FIFA Article 17:

"Any Player who [seeks to] assume a new nationality [and who is not already tied to an Association] shall be eligible to play for the new representative team only if he fulfils one of the following conditions:

(a ) He was born on the territory of the relevant Association;
(b ) His biological mother or biological father was born on the territory of the relevant Association;
(c ) His grandmother or grandfather was born on the territory of the relevant Association;
(d ) He has lived continuously for at least five years after reaching the age of 18 on the territory of the relevant Association."

Therefore unless he has either unearthed another ROI-born Grandparent*, or FIFA considers NI to constitute part of the "territory" of the FAI(!), I fail to see how he qualifies.

P.S. Whether he's eligible or not, he seems to be one seriously mixed-up individual. He was first called up by NI for our U-21's, but declined apparently on the basis that he still harboured England hopes (fair enough). However Beaglehole (our U-21 manager) and Worthington still kept the door open to him and he subsequently agreed a call-up to the senior squad, on the understanding that a friendly would not tie him (i.e keeping his England options open). He then (I think) declined a further call up for a subsequent friendly. And now we must assume he's interested in playing for the ROI...

* - Perhaps borrowed one of Stephen Ireland's that he wasn't using?

Charlie Darwin
15/03/2011, 5:14 PM
You just had to ask, didn't you?

EalingGreen
15/03/2011, 5:15 PM
I wouldn't have held it against mcCarthy had he thrown his lot in with Scotland to be honest. Disappointed, sure, but that's about it.One slight difference: McCarthy was born in Scotland. Barton wasn't born in either NI or ROI.

paul_oshea
15/03/2011, 5:21 PM
If i were NI fan, deep down this would effect me more than someone like Duffy "defecting".

Sullivinho
15/03/2011, 6:02 PM
Sledge obviously had a word. Recruitment being a required module of an apprenticeship with Richard Dunne.

If i were NI fan, deep down this would effect me more than someone like Duffy "defecting".

Our U-21s over their senior team. Ouch.

seanfhear
15/03/2011, 6:59 PM
Hi Mr Doo.

It's, as always, nice and straightforward for me on this issue.

Question:

Do you want to play for Northern Ireland?

Answer:

No, or, I'm not really sure.

Response:

Goodbye.To be honest that is the best policy. Whats the point (especially nowadays) if a players heart is not in it. Its all too easy for players with the aid/backing of their clubs to come up with reasons for not showing up.

At this stage I cannot ever see me wanting Stephen Ireland to play for Ireland. If he is'nt interested why would I have any interest in him playing for us. Even if he suddenly found some interest how long would it be until he lost it again.

CraftyToePoke
15/03/2011, 7:31 PM
Got to say I feel for the Northern Irish lads on this one, he has been very disrespectfull to their shirt having worn it in a senior game already. I had suspicions we were chasing him, but feel he shouldnt have lined out for them if these were his intentions.

I'm all for the Northern born lads having the option and welcome all of them who choose us, and good luck to those who do not, but this is a new low in the whole eligibility saga. Werent things a lot simpler when the cut off was U21 and that was it. It saved a lot of this mercenary opportunism.

Predator
15/03/2011, 7:52 PM
Quite surprised by this, but I guess that it is evidence that certain posters were wrong about the eligibility issue once more. Unless, of course, the FAI are in no position to call him up and this is a big mistake or joke.

paul_oshea
15/03/2011, 8:44 PM
NO NO i wont have that, they weren't predator. Geysir is never wrong. He has always stated that a player who has played u21 can change and play senior another team. Its only when capped at senior level IN A COMPETITIVE game they cannot play for another country.

ALl he needs to do to qualify is inform FIFA of a change of nationality and also apply for an Irish passport and apply to the FAI.

The Fly
15/03/2011, 8:58 PM
NO NO i wont have that, they weren't predator. Geysir is never wrong.

Take a deep breath...................and, relax.

The Fly
15/03/2011, 9:04 PM
You just had to ask, didn't you?

Sorry, couldn't resist. :p

paul_oshea
15/03/2011, 9:06 PM
Take a deep breath...................and, relax.

Fawlty Towers?! No...?

ArdeeBhoy
15/03/2011, 9:28 PM
Perhaps he was worried about being kept out of their team by all the North's British (mainland)-born players?

Anyway, If he ever plays for us in a competitive game that permanently ties him down worry about it then.
What's the latest on Lee Camp though??
;)

CraftyToePoke
15/03/2011, 9:36 PM
Perhaps he was worried about being kept out of their team by all the North's British (mainland)-born players?

Anyway, If he ever plays for us in a competitive game that permanently ties him down worry about it then.
;)

As far as I understand it, and I am open to correction here but he is now tied to us having changed associaton once.

Not sure though.

RiffRaff
15/03/2011, 9:49 PM
We're all assuming he's actually going to turn up for this match. Doesnt seem certain to me given his previous.

liamoo11
15/03/2011, 10:00 PM
Maybe Paul Doolin could give Gorman at wolves who previously walked in the light at under 16s for us when he payed at Man Utd a chance to come back to the under 19s brotherhood now that he has a few full international caps for the north!!

IsMiseSean
16/03/2011, 12:05 AM
We should give them Paul Green as compensation, it would be the neighbourly thing to do...

gastric
16/03/2011, 12:27 AM
With Quirke, Clarke, Chambers, Stearman, Pennant and Barton onboard, we only need a right back, right winger, centre midfielder and 2 strikers to complete a full team. This should be the FAI 's objective this season! It would be a good year's work.

TrapAPony
16/03/2011, 1:18 AM
With Quirke, Clarke, Chambers, Stearman, Pennant and Barton onboard, we only need a right back, right winger, centre midfielder and 2 strikers to complete a full team. This should be the FAI 's objective this season! It would be a good year's work.

Kyle Naughton, Adam Hammill, Jamie O'Hara, Connor Wickham & Simon Cox. :)

gastric
16/03/2011, 2:30 AM
Kyle Naughton, Adam Hammill, Jamie O'Hara, Connor Wickham & Simon Cox. :)

Good work TrapAPony!

Gather round
16/03/2011, 8:07 AM
[exaggerated outrage?]...with some justification?

Is this the guy who asked to be withdrawn from a NI squad because he hadn't made his mind up yet? Or something like that anyway

That's the one, although he did eventually turn up for one of our recent forgettable friendlies. Morocoo at home IIRC.

He's clearly a timewaster, we're well rid.

In WC 2010 qualifying, we used two players out of 24 (Messrs Taylor and Paterson) who grew up outside NI. In the current series, you can add boy wonder Johnny Gorman.

So probably not then.

Our U-21s over their senior team. Ouch

Maybe he thinks he can drag you into the top 40 of the UEFA u-21 rankings?

Not Brazil
16/03/2011, 8:37 AM
;)

In the Northern Ireland squad to face Serbia and Slovenia in a couple of weeks...so you had better be quick.:D

Not Brazil
16/03/2011, 8:39 AM
Maybe Paul Doolin could give Gorman at wolves who previously walked in the light at under 16s for us when he payed at Man Utd a chance to come back to the under 19s brotherhood now that he has a few full international caps for the north!!

Gorman is tied to Northern Ireland

ArdeeBhoy
16/03/2011, 8:39 AM
Well know it's a concept the North doesn't like to contemplate, but my context related to the future, as in plenty of their reserves and U-21's of their own being born on the Brit mainland. And why shouldn't they be....
Just mind the hypocrisy!

As for the U-21 rankings, given our joint woeful standings, maybe we should have a combined team in future??
;)

ArdeeBhoy
16/03/2011, 8:41 AM
Fair play NB, though won't Maik Taylor be peed-off by some relative 'blow-in', or will he be glad of the rest??

IMHO, should probably stick with him for the rst of the campaign, unless he's gone seriously downhill, form-wise?

Gather round
16/03/2011, 8:41 AM
Given your recent U-21 performnces you'd struggle to persuade San Marino or Andorra to a merger.

Euro 2011 U-21 qualifying aggregate table (of each team's results against the four other highest-ranked teams in their group)

41, Kazakhstan 5
41, Lithuania 5
43, Bulgaria 4
43, Luxembourg 4
43, Albania 4

43, Azerbaijan 4
47, R Ireland 3
48, Macedonia 2
49, Andorra 0
49, Liechtenstein 0

49, San Marino 0
49, Malta 0

Taylor is far too professional to worry about competition for his place- 'blow in' or otherwise.

Not Brazil
16/03/2011, 8:46 AM
Fair play NB, though won't Maik Taylor be peed-off by some relative 'blow-in', or will he be glad of the rest??

IMHO, should probably stick with him for the rst of the campaign, unless he's gone seriously downhill, form-wise?

Lee Camp is playing well, regularly, for Forest.

Maik is hardly getting a look in at Brum.

It's a tough call, but I have little doubt that Camp will play some part in the next 2 games. He's our future "No 1".

ArdeeBhoy
16/03/2011, 8:49 AM
Euro 2011 U-21 qualifying aggregate table (of each team's results against the four other highest-ranked teams in their group)

41, Kazakhstan 5
41, Lithuania 5
43, Bulgaria 4
43, Luxembourg 4
43, Albania 4

43, Azerbaijan 4
47, R Ireland 3
48, Macedonia 2
49, Andorra 0
49, Liechtenstein 0

49, San Marino 0
49, Malta 0
If you say so....
;)

tommy_c12000
16/03/2011, 8:51 AM
How good is he? I see that he was an unused substitute in PNE's 3-0 victory last night

Gather round
16/03/2011, 9:00 AM
He's good enough for the worst first team in English D2, presumably?

ifk101
16/03/2011, 9:00 AM
How good is he? I see that he was an unused substitute in PNE's 3-0 victory last night

He's good enough to be considered an option for our U21 squad. He's good enough to play senior football for NI.