PDA

View Full Version : League cup

Acornvilla
14/03/2011, 10:18 PM
Turns out we beat Athlone 2-1 tonight, I didn't even hear the game was on, Graig Walsh and Don Cowan scored, good times!

Cabs88
14/03/2011, 11:23 PM
first half we played very well, took the foot off the pedal in the second half, nearly let them back into a game we should have won more comfortably.

First half we played well, Cowan improving by the week and Cathal Brady his busy self throughout. Graeme Dowling (afaik) started right full in place of nelly, started off slow but came into it after that, i reckon he'll be understudy to nelly however.

We scored just before half time with a splendid craig walsh free kick. We would have been further in front only for two great saves by their keeper Shlingermann and we hit the cross bar though collins. He played well i thought, bit raw, but will improve. The highlight of the second half was our goal, great run through by Lee, the ball broke to Cowan on the left who turned in on his right, and just before the last defender managed to blcok it he buried the ball to the left corner - no more than he deserved.

After that athlone had the better of it, and although they never looked like they could get a draw of the game, ya never knew when it went to 2-1.

Overall a win is the important thing, but we need to learn to kill off teams and that doesnt involve holding the ball up at the corner flag..

Looking forward to the game against mervue, who have made a good start, I wonder when we last won 3 games on the bounce?!

Tallanted
14/03/2011, 11:45 PM
Dowling started ahead of Nelly in Wexford too, looks tidy, Gonna be hard to get the jersey back off him. Played well in the 1st half, once we scored the second the job was done, sloppy goal to give away in what was Athlones only real goal threat all night

Tallanted
14/03/2011, 11:51 PM
Oh on another note, thats why we are Champions of the Midlands 

Longfordian
15/03/2011, 12:20 AM
Dowling looks very good going forward, good crosser of the ball, did well I reckon. Collins looks a good prospect at the back too, his instincts are right and he wins pretty much everything in the air. He's a bit raw when on the ball but that can be worked on. Cowan looks like he will cause problems for everyone he faces. Athlone couldn't handle him without fouling. All in all we've the makings of a decent footballing team and with Skelly and, the talk is, another forward still to come in we've plenty to be optimistic about I feel.

Martinho II
15/03/2011, 2:46 PM
[QUOTE=Longfordian;1464477and, the talk is, another forward still to come in we've plenty to be optimistic about I feel.[/QUOTE]
i heard on the grapevine that he is from the Congo.. I am not sure of any other details but he does play up front..

Tallanted
15/03/2011, 3:54 PM
From the Congo or a friend of Congo :-)

Keen2win
15/03/2011, 4:18 PM
Did Athlone do any highlights of the game?

L.T.F.C.
15/03/2011, 5:18 PM
Did Athlone do any highlights of the game?
If they do, its not done for bad old sunshine supporters!

L.T.F.C.
15/03/2011, 5:19 PM
I think he is from either Barbados or Trinidad and Tobago, he was at the game last night.

Longfordian
15/03/2011, 6:10 PM
Yeah apparently he was there alright. One of the Town committee reckoned last night that he has an Irish passport or an EU one and wouldn't need a work permit. He said that the lad had been playing in England. I'm sure all will be revealed in due course!

howsyourtouch
15/03/2011, 8:38 PM
I think he is from either Barbados or Trinidad and Tobago, he was at the game last night.

eric???

Acornvilla
15/03/2011, 11:10 PM
for the love of god no

Martinho II
16/03/2011, 10:15 AM
From the Congo or a friend of Congo :-)

never thought of that tallanted nice one!!:p

Town Legend
16/03/2011, 11:23 AM
So from the Congo, has an EU passport from playing in England and is a striker.........Lomana Tresor Lua Lua by any chance?!!!!!!! Another choice but as unlikely as Eric coming back is Tresor Kandol who used to play for Leeds is a free agent, striker and from Congo too!! I'll get back to my daydreaming here!!

Longfordian
16/03/2011, 11:41 AM
Imaginative choices but I can't see them playing for a hundred a week or less probably. Playing in England could mean the 15th tier or anything really! Im sure we'll find out more in due course if he is signing.

RonnieB
16/03/2011, 6:51 PM
Great to see Cowan getting a few goals for himself. Seems to the team are starting to gel nicely. Roll on saturday and hopefully another win.

Acornvilla
16/03/2011, 10:39 PM
Lua Lua has a younger brother as well, is he still on the books at newcastle?

Town Legend
18/03/2011, 6:54 PM
Lua Lua has a younger brother as well, is he still on the books at newcastle?

He is. He was out on loan at Brighton I think or some other League 1 outfit at beginning of the season....not sure if it was for the season or 6 months.

Acornvilla
18/03/2011, 8:47 PM
He is. He was out on loan at Brighton I think or some other League 1 outfit at beginning of the season....not sure if it was for the season or 6 months.

theres another lad i can think off the top of my head n'geusson or something think he did the rounds in league 2 and maybe a lower end league 1 side hed be mid to late 20's now.

Can't think of any other possibility's anyway :D

So whats the deal with this now, weren't the draws pre determined or something i remember reading it in the leader months ago, i recall something like drogheda/wexford or something?

outspoken
18/03/2011, 9:11 PM

Scored some absolute screamers

Martinho II
19/03/2011, 10:55 AM
So whats the deal with this now, weren't the draws pre determined or something i remember reading it in the leader months ago, i recall something like drogheda/wexford or something?

yeah thats right acornvilla we are playin UCD in the next round of the league cup.

Acornvilla
19/03/2011, 3:26 PM
I'm not home much so way out of the loop these days :(