PDA

View Full Version : Longford

ForzaForth
11/03/2011, 9:25 PM
Two second half goals secured the win for Longford in a very breezy Ferrycarrig tonight where Wexford's lack of creative ability going forward eventually told agaianst them. Youths made two changes to the team which started last week and started Packie, Karl, Anto, Wolfie, Murt, Shane, Patsy, Craig, Ben and Danny and new signing Dara Walsh up front. The wind and a lively pitch gave rise to lots of heading duels and chances generally were few and far between.

First twenty was poor enough and first real chance then fell to Longford when Wolfie did well to block a close range shot from Cowan. A minute later, Packie did well to finger-tip a swirling cross just over the edge of the cross-bar. Wexford then had their best spell of the match when Danny got the first shot on target, Shane just couldn't stretch to a shot-cross and Dara should really have scored when he put a free header over the bar. Nil-nil at half-time.

ForzaForth
11/03/2011, 9:29 PM
Wexford had the wind in their favour in the second-half but found it difficult to keep the ball under control while the ball was now holding up for the Longford forwards. Longford then went ahead early on in the half when their winger skinned Murt, and crossed. Packie parried the first shot but the rebound fell to Morais (?) who put the rebound away. A bouncing free was then pushed over the cross-bar by Packie and Max came on for Craig with abour twenty-five to go.

ForzaForth
11/03/2011, 9:33 PM
However, a ball lost in the Wexford half then lead to Longford's second as the ball eventually reached Cowan just outside the box and his well-directed shot low left gave Packie no chance. Two further subs for Wexford were Grinny for Dara and Muzzi for Ben. Max then got clear for a run-in on goal but his attempt to round the keeper was poor and the keeper made an easy grab for the ball. A good effort at a volley again by Max then finished the match with Longford's useful half against the wind securing the three points.

ForzaForth
11/03/2011, 9:37 PM
Best for Wexford was the central defence of Anto and Wolfie with Packie again doing well. Dara Walsh looked useful up front and adds a bit of physical presence but overall our problems are going forward where the young forwards/wingers are finding it difficult to work as a unit. Two-nil for Longford at the end with about 300-350 at it and a further 100 at Mick's pre-match post-election nosh-up in the clubhouse.

cornflakes
11/03/2011, 9:53 PM
I would of said there was more at it than that. We were poor, Longford took there chances.
Hopefully we'l improve

Longfordian
11/03/2011, 11:43 PM
Thanks for the summary. Didn't make it down myself but it was Jacques Morley, our new, diminutive winger that got our first. Very happy with the win, would have taken the draw beforehand tbh.

Sunny Jim
12/03/2011, 10:11 AM
God that was depressing. A small crowd and an extremely poor game between two dire teams in a swirling wind. I've seen some bad games there in my time but that must be right down there with the worst. Looks like it's going to take some time for the new signings to gel but they'll have to do it fast or it's going to be a long hard season.

The highlight for me was Cowan's goal, he took it very well. I can see why Max Cream has been around the block now, he must be the worst player I've ever seen in a Youths shirt. He was unbelieveably inept - no first touch, no awareness and he made a dogs dinner of the best chance of the match when he was through with only the keeper to beat.

I fear for the Youths against Shels next week, it could be a cricket score.

Splurge
14/03/2011, 6:52 PM
I thought the defence was as good as ive seen us with, the experience of the middle three really shows and both full backs are very capable, impressed with Murt Kehoe. Patsy grew into the game in midfield and got to grips with the rhythm of the game as the match grew on. You cant criticize any of them for effort but it just didnt happen in the final third although until we went 433 at the end and we could have gotten the two goals back, especially when MC was clear through. Wasnt a great game but we didnt look as disorganised or green as i was afraid we might be with all the new faces and the experience of the past 4 yrs hasnt been lost throught the revolving door.