PDA

View Full Version : Luke Chambers

irish tricky
11/03/2011, 9:44 AM
http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/nottinghamforest/forest/Chambers-verge-Ireland-following-impressive-season-Forest-defence/article-3319080-detail/article.html

NOTTINGHAM Forest defender Luke Chambers is on the verge of a call up to play for the Republic of Ireland.

Chambers, who has been one of Forest's players of the season so far, has been asked by the Irish FA to take up Irish citizenship.

And the central defender, who qualifies to play for the Irish through his grandfather, could even get a call-up to face Macedonia and Uruguay at the end of the month.

Chambers has begun the process of applying for an Irish passport, after his impressive form was spotted by Giovanni Trapattoni.

And his passage into international football should be far more straightforward than it was for Reds team-mate Lee Camp, whose recent qualification for Northern Ireland was complicated by the fact that he had played for England at almost every junior level up to the Under-21 age group.

The two men have helped Forest maintain the second- best defensive record in the Championship this season.

"There has been some contact. They have asked me to become a Republic of Ireland citizen," said Chambers, who will be looking to help Forest bounce back to form against Doncaster at the City Ground tomorrow.

"We had been trying to keep things quiet but I am going through the process.

"Hopefully, I can get the passport through and I can be involved.

"I don't know too much about what might happen. But I qualify through my mother's father.

"It is good to be recognised at that level."

Chambers hopes he has proved a few of his doubters wrong, after producing a series of solid displays in the heart of the Reds' back four.

"Playing international football is a chance you can't turn down," he said. "And Ireland are a very good side.

"I have always said that I was a central defender, which maybe I have started to prove to people this season.

"I am not sure how long things will take. But I have had a covering letter from the Irish FA, which will explain things when I apply for citizenship.

"I am not sure if I will be involved at the end of this month. It may be after that before things are sorted out."

Forest may be boosted by the return of Joel Lynch and Nathan Tyson from ankle in for tomorrow's game against Doncaster.

ifk101
11/03/2011, 9:52 AM
Chambers, who has been one of Forest's players of the season so far, has been asked by the Irish FA to take up Irish citizenship.

Chambers has begun the process of applying for an Irish passport, after his impressive form was spotted by Giovanni Trapattoni .

"There has been some contact. They have asked me to become a Republic of Ireland citizen ," said Chambers, who will be looking to help Forest bounce back to form against Doncaster at the City Ground tomorrow.

"I am not sure how long things will take. But I have had a covering letter from the Irish FA, which will explain things when I apply for citizenship.

:bigsmile:

Wolfie
11/03/2011, 12:39 PM
:bigsmile:

Is Ealing Green resorting to writing to players personally now???

Could this Chambers lad not just have kept his mouth shut and gone through the process if genuinely interested???

"We've been trying to keep things quiet" - Feck sake - with under the radar tactics like this, the secret service beckons.

TrapAPony
11/03/2011, 12:48 PM
Been looking on Notts Forest boards. They reckon he is a very good player. They majority said he was poor at first when he was put at right back, but since he has been put into his proper position at centre half he has been immense.

irish tricky
11/03/2011, 1:28 PM
Being a Forest fan, i would rate him as a poor mans St Ledger. He came into the forest side because of an injury and then Wilson feel out of favour cos he signed a pre contract with celtic. If forest had any other center halves, i dont think he would be playing. In fairness he gives 100%, throws his body on the line and scores from set pieces, but defensively he is lacking a bit.

cornflakes
11/03/2011, 5:00 PM
In fairness he gives 100%, throws his body on the line and scores from set pieces, but defensively he is lacking a bit.

Another Paul McShane then

CraftyToePoke
11/03/2011, 5:26 PM
Being a Forest fan, i would rate him as a poor mans St Ledger. He came into the forest side because of an injury and then Wilson feel out of favour cos he signed a pre contract with celtic. If forest had any other center halves, i dont think he would be playing. In fairness he gives 100%, throws his body on the line and scores from set pieces, but defensively he is lacking a bit.

Have you watched him a lot?

From what you are saying he is a 100%'er but not likely to step up.

Stuttgart88
11/03/2011, 7:40 PM
Everyone over here calls the FAI the Irish FA, just like they think Bank of Ireland is our central bank. That's just the way it is.

sean r
11/03/2011, 9:09 PM
asked to take citizenship??? i was never asked,infact i was the one who asked the embassy for my passport. if he was serious he would of applied long ago he knew he had an irish grandfather so he knew he can get a passport

gilberto_eire
11/03/2011, 11:31 PM
Another Paul McShane then

Paul McShane is not a hardy defender.

Dunne is but he's big, but of our backs who are small St.Ledger is fairly hardy.
McShane is not and IMO it's his biggest fault

Yard of Pace
12/03/2011, 12:49 AM
I wonder is he anything to Aine....

CraftyToePoke
12/03/2011, 3:46 AM
He is in this months Four Four Two magazine as one of the top ten Championship players. (Couldnt find a link)

AlaskaFox
12/03/2011, 9:35 AM
Gary Birtles: Chambers not turning his back on England:
http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/sport/Birtles-Chambers-turning-country-making-right-choice/article-3322462-detail/article.html

Plastic Paddy
12/03/2011, 5:03 PM
Any chance Chambers could have a word with his teammate Lewis McGugan about declaring for us? I think he'd be a useful addition. Chambers I'm not so sure about.

:ball: PP

Adrianovic
13/03/2011, 12:14 AM

I strongly disagree.

I'm a season ticket holder and go to a fair few away games (not including ones seen on the tele), so I've seen a lot of Luke Chambers.

He joined Forest from Northampton about four years ago. Our manager at the time was Colin Calderwood, now at Hibernian, had made him captain at the Cobblers despite his young age.

Like many young centre halves he first broke into the starting XI at right back. In League One this was fine because nobody had any real pace and his reading of the game carried him through. As Irish Tricky notes, he was excellent from set pieces even then.

We got promoted and in the Championship he got schooled by some decent wingers, notably by Matt Jarvis when we got humped by Wolves. Eventually Calderwood left and Billy Davies came in, shortly followed by Chris Gunter at right back.

Chambo started last season as first choice centre half alongside Morgan, but lost his place to Wilson against Newcastle because Davies felt his pace would be more valuable. He never really regained it because we had an excellent season. But this time out when he got his chance he has held onto it.

I'd say timing is his best attribute. He isn't a massive guy, but he times his jumps well to win headers and the same can be said for his sliding challenges. Next, I would say his attitude is first class and he is a leader. His pace is OK without being notable, his passing is decent but not amazing.

Irish Tricky said he was a poor man's Sean St Ledger which is very unfair, he's become better than St Ledger with regular football. It's not an easy position to just come in and do a job, you need to become part of a trio with your fellow centre half and the keeper. Even though Forest have fallen away of late you'll notice that our defensive record is still among the best in the league - Chambo can take a great deal of credit for that, along with Morgan and the keeper Camp.

Can he do a job for Ireland?

I would suggest he'll definitely get into the squad on quality alone and his character will appeal to Trap. At 25 he's young for a centre half, I definitely think he can be competitive. Over his career I expect him to spend a couple of seasons in the Premiership, but a lot at the top level of the Championship.

Plastic Paddy - Not sure of McGugan's Irish blood, but if he's at all eligible then Chambers joining the squad will be all the encouragement he needs. They lived together for a while and seem pretty much in love from what I've seen. There's an interview where they argue like a married couple.

DannyInvincible
13/03/2011, 1:29 AM
Plastic Paddy - Not sure of McGugan's Irish blood, but if he's at all eligible then Chambers joining the squad will be all the encouragement he needs. They lived together for a while and seem pretty much in love from what I've seen. There's an interview where they argue like a married couple.

Apparently, McGugan has an Irish father. I've only ever read that on here though. I've heard he's also eligible for Scotland.

the doc
13/03/2011, 10:02 AM
Irish Tricky said he was a poor man's Sean St Ledger which is very unfair, he's become better than St Ledger with regular football.

I'm all for looking at bringing in new players into the squad, but question your commnets above.

If Chambo is better than the Saint then why has Billy Davies been trying for the past 6 months to bring in St Ledger to play alongside Wes?

Sir Trap is a big fan of the Saint, and wants him to play in Italy, thats some recommendation.

Plastic Paddy
13/03/2011, 10:13 AM
Sir Trap is a big fan of the Saint, and wants him to play in Italy, thats some recommendation.

The Saint had better be learning his Italian then. Failing that, he will be welcome in the east end of Glasgow once his contract expires at PNE. ;)

Irish_Praha
13/03/2011, 10:16 AM
I'm all for looking at bringing in new players into the squad, but question your commnets above.

If Chambo is better than the Saint then why has Billy Davies been trying for the past 6 months to bring in St Ledger to play alongside Wes?

He said the same about Bruce, read into that what you will.

Adrianovic
13/03/2011, 10:19 AM

St Ledger is decent and hasn't really let us down whenever he's played, I'm not having a pop at him. But Chambers has come a long way.

I don't know who your source is but we've certainly not tried to bring in St Ledger constantly over the last six months. Wouldn't be surprised if he asked the question at some stage, though. And who is to say Billy wants him to replace Chambers, who has been the better of the two centre halves this season?

Forest are very short at centre half. Since Chambers came in for the injured Wilson against Hull away and kept his place, Wilson has decided he doesn't want to play for Forest again on the basis we wouldn't cave to his demands for a Celtic move.

That leaves us with Morgan, Chambers and then Lynch, who has only ever featured in the team at left back. I don't think it's unreasonable to want to add to that paper thin squad - we've been lucky Chambo and Wes have stayed fit.

Plastic Paddy
13/03/2011, 10:22 AM
Forest are very short at centre half. Since Chambers came in for the injured Wilson against Hull away and kept his place, Wilson has decided he doesn't want to play for Forest again on the basis we wouldn't cave to his demands for a Celtic move.

Not the story I'm hearing from the other end. Billy Bluenose took offence once Wilson had signed a pre-contract agreement with Celtic and has refused to play him ever since (when he hasn't been injured, that is). Forest even turned down £200k from Celtic to let him go at the end of the January window. Anyway, off topic...

Adrianovic
13/03/2011, 10:34 AM
Not the story I'm hearing from the other end. Billy Bluenose took offence once Wilson had signed a pre-contract agreement with Celtic and has refused to play him ever since (when he hasn't been injured, that is). Forest even turned down £200k from Celtic to let him go at the end of the January window. Anyway, off topic...

Davies will do whatever is best for himself and Forest, he's not going to deny himself a player of Wilson's quality because he doesn't like Celtic.

If Wilson was fit and willing to play then he could use the same avenues to express his concern then he did when he demanded a Celtic move.

We're lucky to have a chairman that puts us in the financial position not to be held to ransom for £200k. It would set a bad precedent.

Irish_Praha
13/03/2011, 11:06 AM
Davies will do whatever is best for himself and Forest, he's not going to deny himself a player of Wilson's quality because he doesn't like Celtic.

If Wilson was fit and willing to play then he could use the same avenues to express his concern then he did when he demanded a Celtic move.

We're lucky to have a chairman that puts us in the financial position not to be held to ransom for £200k. It would set a bad precedent.

Looks like Forest have peaked too soon again this season. I might be wrong but I can see them missing out on promotion again this season; maybe even the play-offs. That would be two seasons in a row where failure to invest in the winter transfer window has badly affected the final third of their season. If they don't get promoted I hope they can keep their current squad together and add a few more players in the summer to freshen things up. Still 10 games left and only a few point away from second place so maybe some of the injured players will come back soon and the others get their second wind. They really need to start picking up a few wins again.

the doc
13/03/2011, 11:17 AM
St Ledger is decent and hasn't really let us down whenever he's played, I'm not having a pop at him. But Chambers has come a long way.

I don't know who your source is but we've certainly not tried to bring in St Ledger constantly over the last six months. Wouldn't be surprised if he asked the question at some stage, though. And who is to say Billy wants him to replace Chambers, who has been the better of the two centre halves this season?

That leaves us with Morgan, Chambers and then Lynch, who has only ever featured in the team at left back. I don't think it's unreasonable to want to add to that paper thin squad - we've been lucky Chambo and Wes have stayed fit.

Thats a fair comment, but trust me Billy has been pushing for the Saint for a while now, dont forget Wilson couldnt get into the PNE team when the Saint was there.

Fair play to Cahmbo, who has done well this season, seen him play a few times and he did well, if he adds strength to the Ireland sqaud then thats good too, I wish him well.

irish tricky
14/03/2011, 4:29 PM
Thats a fair comment, but trust me Billy has been pushing for the Saint for a while now, dont forget Wilson couldnt get into the PNE team when the Saint was there.

Fair play to Cahmbo, who has done well this season, seen him play a few times and he did well, if he adds strength to the Ireland sqaud then thats good too, I wish him well.

I echo that, if he adds to the squad, great. I have also heard about the St Ledger rumours. I go to a good few games, not as many as Adrianovic, but i honestly dont think Chambers would have been playing if Wilsons contract/pre contract issue didnt exist. Wilson and Morgan was the starting center halves.

Wasnt Lewis approached when Calderwood was in charge and Forest came to Dublin to play Shamrock Rovers in a friendly?

TrapAPony
25/04/2011, 6:14 PM
Scored the winner for Notts Forest in a 3-2 away win over Bristol City.

TrapAPony
30/04/2011, 2:30 PM
Scored against Scunthorpe

edit : Just scored another v Scunthorpe

livehead1
30/04/2011, 9:09 PM
He's player of the year at Forest.

TrapAPony
30/04/2011, 10:10 PM
He's player of the year at Forest.
http://www.nottinghamforest.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10308~2348106,00.html

tricky_colour
01/05/2011, 12:02 AM
Well Forest look certain to be in the play-offs having ended a dismal run of form so there is a chance he could be in the Premiership
next season. Odds are about 3-1. Good result today against a poor side (5-1).

Deckydee
17/11/2013, 9:18 AM
Mentioned as one of the possible "new signings' under MON.

Does anyone know how he is doing these days?

Nice article here: http://garethmaher.com/2013/09/28/luke-chambers-cool-hand-luke-has-heart-set-on-ireland/