PDA

View Full Version : This Years Crop - (Next Batch Bound For Cross Channel Clubs)

CraftyToePoke
09/03/2011, 2:45 AM
Im not sure how this will be recieved but i suppose its a fact of life just now that more and more LOI players will be courted by sides in England and Scotland also, at all levels

We have seen Long, Doyle, Fahey, Dicker, Murphy, Mooney, Powell, O'Flynn, Conneely, McCallister, O'Shea, Myler, McGinn, McCourt, Keegan, Kavanagh, Gartland, Coleman, Doherty, Hoolahan, Sammon, Murphy(GK), Behan, Bennet, O'Donovan, O'Callaghan, Gamble, McChrystal, Madden, Hoban, Keohane and several more besides that I have probably omitted leave the league in recent seasons.

When they are all lined up like that, it is a lot of talent to have lost over a short time. It also means I suppose that the better or emerging ones are less likely to remain in LOI now than before. They will be scouted more, it will be in their minds to emulate the more successful players in the list above, that is natural. All this before money even enters the equation.

We have long wanted the league to be held in better esteem from without, and deservedly so. It is therefore regrettable that this has manifested itself in the form of it now being a good place for bigger clubs to go bargain shopping, rather than sustained European progress or International recognition for some of these guys, or better infrastructure and significantly improved attendances.

However, it is what it is, and I wondered if any of you, ideally with representation from each club would like to predict this years most likely to be bargain hunted?

It would make interesting reading come March, if little else.

Lim till i die
09/03/2011, 2:51 AM
David O'Leary from Limerick wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

micls
09/03/2011, 3:30 AM
I expect Kalen Spillane and Gearoid Morrissey to go to England in the next year or so. Spillane could go in the summer, we will hopefully keep Morrisey for a while longer.

Wouldnt be surprised if Stephen Mulcahy got an offer either once he's back fit.

razor
09/03/2011, 7:59 AM
Is this thread just a cunning ploy from some cross channel scouts to get the fans to single out the better players?

Mark McNulty is a fantastic keeper and would embellish any cross channel side.

pineapple stu
09/03/2011, 8:42 AM
I think Kilduff and Finn are better than Sammon and Dicker were when they left.

outspoken
09/03/2011, 8:46 AM
Michael Lee will play across channel sooner rather than later...no doubt.

Buller
09/03/2011, 8:53 AM
Right winger Daniel Kearns for Dundalk is going places. Absolutely quality on the ball.

Rasputin
09/03/2011, 9:25 AM
Daniel Kearns is definetly the best prospect in the league at the minute from what ive seen.
Shams have a few very good prospects aswell, Mc Cabe, Finn, Sheppard, Kilduff, Stevens etc.
For us if Greene fulfills his potential this season he could well go to England, also from what ive heard about the young winger we signed from Salthill, Horgan I think his name is, could well go to England aswell.

CraftyToePoke
09/03/2011, 9:38 AM
Is this thread just a cunning ploy from some cross channel scouts to get the fans to single out the better players?

I assure you Sir, it is not. I just thought it would be an in interesting one. Also the Green Grannie brigade of England also rans are coming down a bit thick and fast at present and we probably have players as good as them in LOI, and I was just giving voice to that also.

The next batch will go over, with or without this thread, as they have been doing for some time now. It will be interesting to see which ones.

WoodquayBoy
09/03/2011, 9:52 AM
Yeah, Horgan will probably make it across the water, the only thing that might go agains him is his build, not much scope these days for short, light wingers, but he is a cracking prospect

Acornvilla
09/03/2011, 12:27 PM
Not a young Irish lad but i'm sure Gary Twigg will be brought to the SPL at some point, If a decent Scottish club came calling I doubt he would say no

Mick Lee at Longford had trials with Carlisle twice over the break didn't he, hes good enough for League one anyway i'd wager with a bit of work

El-Pietro
09/03/2011, 12:51 PM
spillane apparently has a scholarship offer in the states, so i dont think hell be going to England

Morrissey will be playing in England by next season I'd say

Ezeikial
09/03/2011, 1:13 PM
As has been mentioned by others Danny Kearns is the one with obvious potential not just to go cross channel but to make it at the top level.

The truth is that there are loads of players right across the league who are well capable of "making it" at League One & League Two level, the real question is who can make the breakthough at Premier or even Championship and possibly in the international team.

Apart from Kearns there are quite a few at Dundalk who have potential for a UK interest at some level. Stephen McDonnell is one, although he needs to establish himself as a first choice at Dundalk; Stephen Maher is still young enough, left back Nathan Murphy needs to build on the promise he showed 18 months ago, Eoghan Osborn has prospects, Keith Ward could develop, Greg Bolger is on the radar of many UK clubs, Simon Madden has been super since returning form Darlington, while 18 year old Michael Hector despite a nightmare debut in Tallaght is among the likely lads

Dodge
09/03/2011, 1:36 PM
I'd bet that not many of them make the grade at Championship level Ezekial. ome of them have already been deemed surplus to requirments in this league by clubs (Maher, Madden).

In terms of Pats I can't see too many pretenders. Maybe Jordan Keegan who looks very talented and has a decent build for a young fella. Was released by Southampton last year. I've no doubt that several of our young players could make quality LOI players or maybe League 1/2 (Daly, Stewart, McFaul) but whether they have enough to play any higher I'm not so sure.

Guinney
09/03/2011, 1:43 PM
I'll start with my own club and as many already pointed out Daniel Kearns is a very good prospect. Not only is he very exciting on the ball, he has a great attitude and helps his team out in when needed. If I was a right back I'd like to have a player like Kearns ahead of me as a right winger. The next best prospect at Dundalk IMO would be Simon Madden who has shown alot of promise at right back. He is full of energy which allows him to defend first and foremost and bomb up the byline. I know I'm biased as a Dundalk fan but I think both these players could play at a higher level in the near future.

Shamrock Rovers have plenty of players have plenty of talented young players. Ronan Finn has already been courted by a number of English clubs. Then there is others like Kilduff and Turner who could have the ability to play at a decent level in England (Championship/League 1) or Scotland. Twigg even though he is not quite so young for a footballer has the predatory instincts that a striker needs to play at a higher level aswell.

I'm sure a couple more players will crop up as the season moves on. But it is often hard to judge whether these players can make it a higher grade because they are not always being tested against a good standard of player.

total hoofball
09/03/2011, 2:09 PM
It's one thing to get signed by a British club, it's another to break into the first team and play week in week out. Most of the LOI players who have left over the past 2 years have struggled to make an impact. I think the league has been so badly bled dry of good players over the last 3 years there are very few left, if any, in the league who have the ability to make it in the UK (namely PL, Championship, SPL). I don't think even Twigg would hack it in the Championship.

The rapidly declining standards of the past 2 seasons is making many mediocre players look like megastars in this league. For example I'm sure Danny Kearns is a fine player for Dundalk in the year 2011, but watching him and others against Shamrock Rovers the other night I felt that these guys wouldn't have raised any eyebrows in this league 5/6 years ago.

I'm certain a few more players like Williams and Finn will be snapped up but I'm equally as certain alot of players signed by UK clubs recently will back here in no time unless they are happy to slog it out in the lower/non-leagues over there.

PartySaint
09/03/2011, 7:48 PM
I'd bet that not many of them make the grade at Championship level Ezekial. ome of them have already been deemed surplus to requirments in this league by clubs (Maher, Madden).

In terms of Pats I can't see too many pretenders. Maybe Jordan Keegan who looks very talented and has a decent build for a young fella. Was released by Southampton last year. I've no doubt that several of our young players could make quality LOI players or maybe League 1/2 (Daly, Stewart, McFaul) but whether they have enough to play any higher I'm not so sure.

I'm not sure if a English club would take a punt on Kenna but I think he is good enough to play in the Championship, I haven't seen too much of Daryl Kavanagh but from what I have seen he could be getting the call sometime in the future

And of course Dave Mulcahy can play for any team in the world he just chose Pats because he is that hard

Sam_Heggy
09/03/2011, 8:24 PM
Ciaran Gallagher - Harps keeper - highly thought of at international level and looks a much more confident keeper this season already. Needs to improve his kicking but otherwise a very sound keeper. Made some outstanding saves against Limerick and still only 18 years of age.

Gary Merritt looks to be a bright prospect for us too. A winger with alot of pace and comfortable using either foot. Only 17 too. Fulham and Newcastle both showing alot of interest Im told.

Raymond Foy is another drawing alot of attention from last season in the u-20's. QPR and Aberdeen have both had scouts watching him. I'd say his temperment will be the one to hold him back though.

At other clubs, I'd say Paudie Quinn of Limerick could be a great find. Hard to know from only one game but looks a classy player on the ball. Will catch the eye.

Ezeikial
09/03/2011, 8:35 PM

I'd say that you would win that bet Dodge - many are called, few are chosen etc.

The fact that Maher and Madden have already been to UK clubs doesn't necessarily make any odds - Keith Fahey is a glaring example of that.

Simon Madden has been in outstanding form since he joined Dundalk last July - I think Pat Sullivan is his only challenger at RB in the league. Stephen Maher has been excellent in midfield last season - although his injury in July slowed him up, and he isonly now getting back to full fitness. I understand there were some enquires from the UK about him last year.

If you want a losing bet, then stake against Danny Kearns - if he stays free from serious injury and learns to use the early ball he is a top level star in the making

poster
10/03/2011, 12:15 AM
Daryl Horgan, Jason McGuinness and Mark Doninger.

Bunny Kelly
10/03/2011, 6:12 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Patrick McEleney

Aaron
10/03/2011, 6:56 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Patrick McEleney

Shhhhhsssshhhhhhh!!!