PDA

View Full Version : Dubs Championship chances

Beavis
01/06/2004, 10:23 PM
Anyone interested in Dublin GAA?Wondering if there were any opinions on our chances ahead of our first football championship game on Sunday.
Went to most league games,from what I've seen,despite indifferent results, I'd be quite optimistic.The league is always a bit of a nothing affair and I'd say we were rarely at full tilt.It seemed like when we wanted to turn it on like in Mullingar,to be safe from relegation and to beat champs Tyrone,we were able to.
Players I'd expect to shine this summer would be Senan Connell(threatening to be a great forward for some years and was our best player in the league),Conal Keaney if he goes for the football over hurling and I predict a possible return to form of Coman Goggins(we need him in the half backs and put Peader Andrews at corner back instead of Griffin)
Up the Dubs!!

PS sorry to post this here but hill16.ie closed its boards and I need a GAA outlet :o

Peadar
02/06/2004, 8:39 AM
Wondering if there were any opinions on our chances ahead of our first football championship game on Sunday.

A snowball in hell has a better chance!
The only Dubs making a return visit to Croker this year are the hotdog sellers :D

max power
02/06/2004, 9:50 AM
na the average dub thinks that their home ground is croke park, most of them haven't heard of parnell park as they never go to a league game

Peadar
02/06/2004, 10:39 AM
Galway and Kerry were impressive in the league and can't see either falling by the wayside too early.

Might be reminding you of this thread next week :D

brendy_éire
02/06/2004, 11:25 AM
Dunno much about the Dubs chances. Galway and Kerry were impressive in the league and can't see either falling by the wayside too early, though league form for the lesser counties usually has little impact on championship performances. Can see some county like Donegal putting in a burst too, though they were pretty poor last weekend.

Don't fancy Donegal too much. They play the winner of Sunday's Fermanagh - Tyrone game.
Can't see past Tyrone for the title really. We played them last month, it was just embarassing. By the second half they were just walking the ball over the bar. Didn't break a sweat. They've the best squad in the country by miles.

Peadar
02/06/2004, 11:48 AM
By the second half they were just walking the ball over the bar.
Don't you mean hand passing the ball over the bar?
Football in Ulster is so boring.
All they do is throw the ball to each other.
Not an ounce of skill between them.

brendy_éire
02/06/2004, 2:14 PM
Don't you mean hand passing the ball over the bar?
Football in Ulster is so boring.
All they do is throw the ball to each other.
Not an ounce of skill between them.

Well, walking it through our defense, tapping it over bar.
There's plenty of skill about, the problem is that it's a faster paced game, with more men behind the ball. Players don't have as much space or time to work with.

Beavis
02/06/2004, 10:08 PM
Unfortunately the pressure play game is in the ascendency at the mo and just signals bad football.For the sake of the game as a spectacle hopefully one of the more skillful footballing sides will win this summer.

na the average dub thinks that their home ground is croke park, most of them haven't heard of parnell park as they never go to a league game
Even have a look at the difference between Dublin's attendance this Sunday and (fingers cross)the attendance in the Leinster final/AI Quaterfinals etc.As soon as the hype begins,it makes it a massive struggle for me to get tickets :mad:

Countyman
04/06/2004, 9:59 AM
Looks like HQ will be close to full for the double header on sunday.

I reckon Westmeath will give the dubs a fright but they should scrape through.

Wexford will put it up to us but if we keep Mattie Forde quiet then I reckon we should beat them. A kildare dublin semi can go either way. Neither team is great at the moment but both are building nicely and should make a serious impact over the next few years.

I think Leinster is **** poor this year and anyone left at the moment can win it.

I cant see the All Ireland winners coming from Leinster. Armagh looked good while Galway will get an easy ride as usual from Connacht unless Mayo and Roscommon dont bottle it again.

Kerry or Armagh for me.

Macy
04/06/2004, 10:48 AM
Dunno about skillful.
Aye, bogball is all about fitness, sod all about skill.

Countyman
04/06/2004, 1:02 PM
Aye, bogball is all about fitness, sod all about skill.

..so putting the ball between 2 sticks from 45 yards out on the wing running at full tilt shipping a few shoulders on the way playing against the wind .....is all down to fitness ;)

parnell ranger
04/06/2004, 1:41 PM
there might be a case for making the game 13 a side as the game has certainly changed esp in the last 10 years.
players are fitter,more tactically aware,and more technically proficient than players from the 70s etc.
while good players will always find space the game in general would benefit.
i was watching a kids game recently,15 a side on a small pitch with small goals.
a cavalry charge was the best description of it.
in kids soccer its 7 a side till they reach 12 (11 in dublin) putting the emphasis on skill and technique.
theres lessons to be learned from both codes.

Countyman
04/06/2004, 2:03 PM
I agree. 13 a side should be tried out. 5 forwards and 5 backs.
Get away from the rigid half forward and full forward lines and have a total footballing front 5 that can move around the attacking area with great ease and fluidity.

...ahh .. i have the 2006 all ireland won already. now wheres the phone number for the county board :D

but would more space create the need for faster and ultimately fitter players to use the extra pitch afforded them???

parnell ranger
04/06/2004, 2:09 PM
I agree. 13 a side should be tried out. 5 forwards and 5 backs.
Get away from the rigid half forward and full forward lines and have a total footballing front 5 that can move around the attacking area with great ease and fluidity.

...ahh .. i have the 2006 all ireland won already. now wheres the phone number for the county board :D

but would more space create the need for faster and ultimately fitter players to use the extra pitch afforded them???

that kind of player exists already but their skills and technique are nullified by sheer weight of numbers.
you put 2 top class soccer teams on a pitch at 15 a side-i doubt if skill will win the day.

Beavis
04/06/2004, 4:58 PM
We played 13aside up to U14 .It's good for a smaller pitch but on a full sized there would become far too much emphasis on player speed.As it is,a fast attacker is the biggest nightmare for a defender,give them more room and a not too pacy defender will have as good as lost his battle before the game has begun.Brilliant tacklers like Paddy Christy would be far less effective.

A kildare dublin semi can go either way
Can't wait!a chance to get one over on the realtives from Moorefield...

parnell ranger
07/06/2004, 6:34 AM
We played 13aside up to U14 .It's good for a smaller pitch but on a full sized there would become far too much emphasis on player speed.As it is,a fast attacker is the biggest nightmare for a defender,give them more room and a not too pacy defender will have as good as lost his battle before the game has begun.Brilliant tacklers like Paddy Christy would be far less effective.

Can't wait!a chance to get one over on the realtives from Moorefield...

westmeath or wexford in a leinster final.
you have to give paidi credit for his game plan-defend in strength thru the middle and get the ball up front wide n early.
in contrast dublin were tactically inept.

Beavis
07/06/2004, 12:53 PM
you have to give paidi credit for his game plan-defend in strength thru the middle and get the ball up front wide n early.
in contrast dublin were tactically inept.
Agree completely.The switching of David Kilmartin and David Mitchell to deal with Jayo and Alan Brogan,essentially was the match winning stroke.Lyons had nothing to match that,and rarely has.
Midfield went missing for the majority of the game.Relied heavily on Darren Magee to win ball.Whelan is a 5 minute a game player.Pops up with some stroke of pure power and pace and goes hiding for the rest of the game.Undoubted potential but far from captain material.Paddy Christy was the usual rock in full back,he's consistently been brilliant for Dublin for many year now and seems an obvious choice for captain.
Congrats to Wexford and Westmeath.Both teams deserve to be in the semifinals.The biggest winner was the GAA yesterday.60,100 at a Leinster quaterfinal must be a record for that stage.

Countyman
08/06/2004, 8:03 AM
Beavis,
Looks like we will have to meet in the qualifiers.

I came away from croke park in disgust last sunday. Well done to Westmeath and Wexford. Shame on dublin and kildare. Leinster football is really in a desperate state.

Worst kildare performance in 15 years.

P.s. Up the Moors!

Aberdonian Stu
08/06/2004, 2:46 PM
The biggest winner was the GAA yesterday.60,100 at a Leinster quaterfinal must be a record for that stage.

Eh actually there are the biggest losers. The financial implications, for the Leinster Council in particular, are quite frankly terrifying. We're talking somewhere in the €2 million overall losses incurred by both Dublin and Kildare failing to make any headway in the championship.

Fair dues to W&W though, deserved winners.

Macy
08/06/2004, 3:38 PM
The financial implications, for the Leinster Council in particular, are quite frankly terrifying.
Quite frankly hilarious you mean, surely... :D

Beavis
08/06/2004, 5:02 PM
Eh actually there are the biggest losers. The financial implications, for the Leinster Council in particular, are quite frankly terrifying. We're talking somewhere in the €2 million overall losses incurred by both Dublin and Kildare failing to make any headway in the championship.

Point taken,never thought about that...