PDA

View Full Version : Richard Stearman

Pages : [1] 2

rebelmusic
04/03/2011, 8:58 AM
Seems he might be interested in declaring for us...thoughts? Must admit i don't know much about him, haven't been catching enough wolves games.

http://greenscene.me/2011/03/richard-stearman-linked-with-ireland/

TrapAPony
06/03/2011, 4:10 PM
According to the Irish Mail on Sunday today, he is getting his passport ready with a view to declaring for us.

CraftyToePoke
06/03/2011, 5:38 PM
According to Graham Taylor summarising on BBC5 Live today, his partnership at the heart of the Wolves defence their lack of communitation with each other and being dragged around the pitch far too easliy is a major contributing factor in Wolves plight. Taylor mentioned this a number of times during the game.

DannyInvincible
06/03/2011, 9:01 PM
Would he even get near the squad? I haven't watched a full Wolves game this season, other than the odd highlights, but they seem to leak quite a lot of goals.

TrapAPony
06/03/2011, 9:33 PM
In fairness if a fella that's playing for the bottom team of the Championship, who leak goals week in week out & is getting on our team, then I'm sure Stearman has a good a chance as any.

DannyInvincible
06/03/2011, 9:46 PM
Fair point.

mark12345
07/03/2011, 12:18 PM
Good luck to the lad and I hope he turns into a Franz Beckenbauer for us, but the current Wolves defence would let a bus through, if not the 5 o'clock train to Euston Station. Not all his fault but .......Maybe he'd play better in a different team but right now things aren't looking too clever for Richard Stearman.

irishultra
07/03/2011, 2:05 PM
then what does it say about that guy st ledger the preston defence is a joke

ArdeeBhoy
07/03/2011, 2:21 PM
Fair point.

Stearman is more of a right-back. Didn't know he was eligible, and know through Wolves pals has played for Eng.U-21'S so slightly surprised he is .

Sullivinho
07/03/2011, 3:10 PM
I'd be interested in hearing Manc Irish Wolf's appraisal of him. I wouldn't be overly impressed by Wolves' defensive record and he's played a lot this season. On the other hand, he's young and seems to be garnering some appreciation (http://www.the-wolf.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=53117) at the moment.

Grannie from Mayo? (http://www.molineuxmix.co.uk/vb/showpost.php?p=1078018&postcount=23)

ArdeeBhoy
07/03/2011, 3:11 PM
Well, got to be better than Paul McShane??

CraftyToePoke
07/03/2011, 3:13 PM
I'd be interested in hearing Manc Irish Wolf's appraisal of him

This was given by M.I.W. on the O'Hara thread I think, I posted a bit there too having seen a lot of him at Leicester.

Sullivinho
07/03/2011, 3:16 PM
This was given by M.I.W. on the O'Hara thread I think, I posted a bit there too having seen a lot of him at Leicester.

Cheers, just saw it there now. Positive enough.

TrapAPony
13/03/2011, 7:23 PM
Some more info on the Stearman situation.

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/2011/03/12/richard-stearman-could-become-wolves-latest-international/

Adrock
14/03/2011, 12:57 PM
Well this is looking like our team for a couple of years ahead
Westwood
Foley St Ledger Clark Stearman
Mcgeady Gibson Mcarthy O'Hara/Henderson
George Best
Funny all that contoversy about a UK team at the olympics and theres going to end up being one after all, only wearing green! This isnt even a distortion of facts really, I genuinely expect this to be our first choice team in the not distant future, the only difference Id have is Long up front ahead of Paul george, amusing as it would be to have a George Best partnership up front for us.
Sure you can argue we ought to put out the best Republic of Ireland team and it is a crying shame truly that we cant seem to produce our own international quality footballers any more but is the UK reserves / England C / Diaspora United XI reallt the answer to our problems?
Theres too many people who ought to know better in the FAI, the media and apparently our own supporters who seem quite happy for exactly this situation to arise and its all rather puzzling........:confused2:

boovidge
14/03/2011, 12:59 PM
George Best's good but that doesn't mean we have to play with 10 men.

ifk101
14/03/2011, 1:11 PM
Well this is looking like our team for a couple of years ahead
Westwood
Foley St Ledger Clark Stearman
Mcgeady Gibson Mcarthy O'Hara/Henderson
George Best
Funny all that contoversy about a UK team at the olympics and theres going to end up being one after all, only wearing green! This isnt even a distortion of facts really, I genuinely expect this to be our first choice team in the not distant future, the only difference Id have is Long up front ahead of Paul george, amusing as it would be to have a George Best partnership up front for us.
Sure you can argue we ought to put out the best Republic of Ireland team and it is a crying shame truly that we cant seem to produce our own international quality footballers any more but is the UK reserves / England C / Diaspora United XI reallt the answer to our problems?
Theres too many people who ought to know better in the FAI, the media and apparently our own supporters who seem quite happy for exactly this situation to arise and its all rather puzzling........:confused2:

The official name of the team for international competition is the Republic of Ireland but the team represents the Irish nation - only players eligibilbe for Irish nationality can play for us. I don't have a problem with where players are born - the only issue for me is that they genuinely identify with what the team is supposed to represent.

SwanVsDalton
14/03/2011, 1:16 PM

I could counter your speculative future selection with our current squad and their relative birthplaces. I could list all the Irish born players who could force their way into the future team. I could point out that your selection is incredibly skewed to suit your own agenda.

Or I could just say if that's how you feel about the likes of Gibson, George, McGeady, McCarthy, Clark et al then there isn't any point in you following Ireland, or any other international football team. Ever.

paul_oshea
14/03/2011, 2:06 PM
Fact.

Adrock
14/03/2011, 2:14 PM
I dont think its that skewed at all, once the Dunne, Keane, O'Shea and Given generation retire there isnt really anyone from this country coming through you can say for sure is likely to be an international footballer, ahead of the plastics mentioned, except for Long as I stated and perhaps Coleman once his position gets sorted.

Whereas this may be the case .though as the best player from this country in your position you have a right to be picked in your national team ahead of opportunistic mercenaries not good enough to play for their own nation. We'll see though, maybe some more youngsters will deveop, only to find their path to the team bocked by the next wave of defectors

Maybe I'll support Panathinaikos, they wear green and even have a shamrock on their shirts so I can pretend they're Irish as well, same as I used to pretend Townsend, Cascarino et al were.

Charlie Darwin
14/03/2011, 2:29 PM
You're just a hopeless romantic at heart, aren't you?

AlaskaFox
14/03/2011, 2:36 PM
What happened to Cunningham in this theory? Surely he's our future at left back.

Sullivinho
14/03/2011, 2:41 PM
Rather puzzling, yes. One does wonder about one's international team. Over afternoon tea.

boovidge
14/03/2011, 3:36 PM
Randolph

coleman o'brien o'dea cunningham
doran clifford meyler brady
Long Doyle

equally as plausible team prediction in 3/4 years with all Irish born players (from the Republic obviously, none of those dirty foreign Northerners)

Kingdom
14/03/2011, 3:39 PM
Begorrah!

Adrock
14/03/2011, 4:12 PM
Randolph

coleman o'brien o'dea cunningham
doran clifford meyler brady
Long Doyle

equally as plausible team prediction in 3/4 years with all Irish born players (from the Republic obviously, none of those dirty foreign Northerners)
You can throw in Stephen ireland as a 12th player and my plastics would still take apart that lot, but I know Id be supporting the Irish boys all the same.
Maybe we could get a second....... no actually make that a third national team for Irish exiles for the diaspora to support, would make a great derby watching them away at Wembley where they've grown up dreaming of playing in any case.

Stuttgart88
14/03/2011, 4:24 PM
Some entrepreneur here should set up an Irish Exiles club down the ranks an, who knows, in ten years, we could have a London Irish FC in the Championship or EPL.

Kingdom
14/03/2011, 4:29 PM
Some entrepreneur here should set up an Irish Exiles club down the ranks an, who knows, in ten years, we could have a London Irish FC in the Championship or EPL.

Call them Wimbledon. When they reach the Premiership they can play in the Aviva every week. Call them the London Dublin Dons or something.

CraftyToePoke
14/03/2011, 4:30 PM
You can throw in Stephen ireland as a 12th player and my plastics would still take apart that lot, but I know Id be supporting the Irish boys all the same.
Maybe we could get a second....... no actually make that a third national team for Irish exiles for the diaspora to support, would make a great derby watching them away at Wembley where they've grown up dreaming of playing in any case.

Go on Adrock, go on.
Inspired musings.
We need more like you.
Please God they will come.

And Stearman at LB ....... inspired.

Noelys Guitar
19/03/2011, 3:18 PM
SOme kamikazee defending from him today. Gave away what should ahve been a blatant peno (ref gave free kick on edge of box). Nowhere near good enough yet if ever to play for Ireland.

SkStu
19/03/2011, 9:45 PM
SOme kamikazee defending from him today. Gave away what should ahve been a blatant peno (ref gave free kick on edge of box). Nowhere near good enough yet if ever to play for Ireland.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/9425547.stm

Villa's best work came along the flanks, from where Young and Marc Albrighton sent in several teasing deliveries, but a Wolves defence superbly marshalled by Richard Stearman was equal to whatever came its way.

find your version surprising, Noely, going on the BBC exerpt. Great result for Wolves nonetheless.

tetsujin1979
20/03/2011, 12:01 AM
saw the incident on RTE2, was a definite penalty

mark12345
20/03/2011, 12:49 AM
"equally as plausible team prediction in 3/4 years with all Irish born players (from the Republic obviously, none of those dirty foreign Northerners)"

Wow Boovidge! I wish I was as Irish as you. It must be amazing to be so 'Irish' that you can look down upon the rest of us. And just in case you're wondering I'm from the Republic also. I've travelled far and wide and met many Irish people and those of Irish descent but none with an elitist attitude like yours. Good luck with that!

Charlie Darwin
20/03/2011, 1:19 AM
I think you need to take boovidge's post with a heavy dose of irony. Somebody made a post on the previous page detailing an all non-Irish born team.

paul_oshea
20/03/2011, 9:07 AM

don't they play at the madjeski?

the bear
20/03/2011, 11:15 AM
don't they play at the madjeski?

your reading in between the lines

boovidge
20/03/2011, 1:25 PM
"equally as plausible team prediction in 3/4 years with all Irish born players (from the Republic obviously, none of those dirty foreign Northerners)"

Wow Boovidge! I wish I was as Irish as you. It must be amazing to be so 'Irish' that you can look down upon the rest of us. And just in case you're wondering I'm from the Republic also. I've travelled far and wide and met many Irish people and those of Irish descent but none with an elitist attitude like yours. Good luck with that!

Sorry mate read the thread back and put the post in context, I was joking. The sad part is that Adrock's not!

John83
21/03/2011, 9:52 AM
George Best's good but that doesn't mean we have to play with 10 men.
I dunno - he's been a bit quiet lately.

Eminence Grise
21/03/2011, 11:39 AM
He's doing what he always did - ghosting past fullbacks like they weren't there...

TrapAPony
25/12/2012, 3:41 AM
Our troubles are over

Richard Stearman has moved closer to a potential Ireland call up after Stephen Hunt revealed that the Wolves (http://www.wolves.co.uk/)’ defender has acquired an Irish passport.

The 25-year-old ex-England under-21 star qualifies for Giovanni Trapattoni’s side through a grandparent on the maternal wing of his family. Molineux teammate Kevin Doyle alerted the FAI (http://www.fai.ie/) to this fact in March last year and Hunt yesterday confirmed that Stearman has now completed the paper work.
“Richard Stearman has his passport sorted now as far as I know,” said Hunt about the Wolverhampton-born defender who moved to his home town club from Leicester City in the summer of 2008.
Stearman has played nine Championship matches and three Capital One Cup ties for Wolves this season and made a total of 33 appearances at right full and centre half last season.

However, Wolves’ boss Stale Solbakken has left him on the bench in recent weeks.

http://thestar.ie/star/sport/richard-stearman-has-got-irish-passport-now/

DannyInvincible
25/12/2012, 9:41 AM
It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas...

Colbert Report
25/12/2012, 7:42 PM
With Richard Dunne's career likely over, he could step right into the team.

TrapAPony
25/12/2012, 8:48 PM
We have a good few decent centre half options now. Richard Dunne, John O'Shea, Ciaran Clark, Sean St Ledger, Alex Pearce...and hopefully Shane Duffy and Tommie Hoban will make the breakthrough in the not so distant future too. There is also Damien Delaney and Darren O'Dea. I guess there is no harm with another option re Stearman.

mark12345
25/12/2012, 10:26 PM
We have a good few decent centre half options now. Richard Dunne, John O'Shea, Ciaran Clark, Sean St Ledger, Alex Pearce...and hopefully Shane Duffy and Tommie Hoban will make the breakthrough in the not so distance future too. There is also Damien Delaney and Darren O'Dea. I guess there is no harm with another option re Stearman.

Let's revise that a little shall we.

We have Clark, St Ledger, Pearce, Duffy and Hoban. If Richard Dunne recovers and returns all the better, but let's forget about the rest. They offer us nothing but insecurity

Sullivinho
25/12/2012, 11:26 PM
I say we dig up enough of these big, brawny, determined types to fill every position and go full-on orcish army! I'm also strongly of the opinion that we should be performing some manner of aggressive war dance immediately prior to kick-off.

tetsujin1979
25/12/2012, 11:44 PM
I say we dig up enough of these big, brawny, determined types to fill every position and go full-on orcish army! I'm also strongly of the opinion that we should be performing some manner of aggressive war dance immediately prior to kick-off.
so, a team of Uruk-hai then?

TrapAPony
26/12/2012, 12:16 AM
Let's revise that a little shall we.

We have Clark, St Ledger, Pearce, Duffy and Hoban. If Richard Dunne recovers and returns all the better, but let's forget about the rest. They offer us nothing but insecurity

I didn't really mean Delaney and O'Dea. O'Shea still has something to offer as a centre half, I feel

BonnieShels
26/12/2012, 12:17 AM
War dances before kick off? How naff.

peadar1987
26/12/2012, 12:38 AM
Paul McShane should be on that list as well. He's not quite as disastrous as a centre half as a full back!

Sullivinho
26/12/2012, 1:15 AM
War dances before kick off? How naff.

http://s9.postimage.org/z2o8540lb/image.gif