PDA

View Full Version : Limerick returning to the Market's Field

osarusan
02/03/2011, 9:57 AM
The front page of today's Limerick Leader reports that JP McManus, through his charitable trust, Limerick Enterprise Development Partnership, has purchased the Martket's Field for a sum 'in excess of E1.5 million."

Limerick will be granted "a licence to occupy" the ground and are expected to move there 'during 2012", while the stadium "will be available as a municipal stadium for other sports also."

(I know this is more suited to the Limerick forum, but thought a few days here might give everybody a chance to see it. Maybe it could be moved in a couple of days)

Mr A
02/03/2011, 9:59 AM
So did he outbid O'Sullivan then? Are there any details available on the development plans?

Seems like good news for Limerick either way.

Jofspring
02/03/2011, 10:32 AM
This is fantastic news. Haven't had a chance to fully read the article yet but moving in for 2012 is a great boost for the club.

Lim till i die
02/03/2011, 10:56 AM
So did he outbid O'Sullivan then?

They're fairly pally by all acounts, it wouldn't surprise me if the whole Limerick FC project thingy is a joint one.

There's no way they were in competition for the purchase like, put it that way.

It's the county Limerick hurling old boys network, like the culchie version of the Dublin rugby blazers. :)

I just hope we have enough funding to make it to 2012 now. :rolleyes: :D

Longfordian
02/03/2011, 11:02 AM
Fair play, [cliched guff] the league needs a strong Limerick [/cliched guff].

marinobohs
02/03/2011, 12:05 PM
The front page of today's Limerick Leader reports that JP McManus, through his charitable trust, Limerick Enterprise Development Partnership, has purchased the Martket's Field for a sum 'in excess of E1.5 million."

Limerick will be granted "a licence to occupy" the ground and are expected to move there 'during 2012", while the stadium "will be available as a municipal stadium for other sports also."

(I know this is more suited to the Limerick forum, but thought a few days here might give everybody a chance to see it. Maybe it could be moved in a couple of days)

Great news for the club and hopefuly (if such a thing is possible in LOI) lead to some stability. mind you if they try and organise any friendlies.........:cool:

bluewhitearmy
02/03/2011, 12:35 PM
From what i hear it was a joint thing between Pat O Sullivan and JP to get it and it was the charity that bought it so that if Limerick go bust the ground cant be sold or anything.

Well done to everyone involved in getting Limerick back there.

oriel
02/03/2011, 12:40 PM
I have never been but I do remember the great Limerick sides of the early 80`s playing infront of packed crowds there, most Limerick fans say it is their spiritual home, so good luck with it.

bluewhitearmy
02/03/2011, 12:44 PM
Que away fans on complaining that they dont want to leave the luxurious surroundings of the Jackman Park away hill ;)

legendz
02/03/2011, 12:56 PM
It's fantastic news! I can't wait to see Limerick playing in their new home. It's exactly the move the club needed.

holidaysong
02/03/2011, 1:02 PM
I've been to Jackman a few times. How does the Market's Field compare in terms of seats, stand(s), etc?

bluewhitearmy
02/03/2011, 1:04 PM
I've been to Jackman a few times. How does the Market's Field compare in terms of seats, stand(s), etc?

At the minute the Markets has no seats or anything just has one huge stand but we wont be moving in til work is done on it so should be way better by that time.

Jofspring
02/03/2011, 1:07 PM

At the moment it only has one stand and no seats. It will be getting refurbished though as it has been idle for nearly a year now so needs to be brought back up to scratch. Hopefully they will be extending the current stand and putting another one on the following side. The possibilties for expanding on what there should be very good, much better than Jackman Park anyway.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Z14M6wbKZEo/THQhHBbtqhI/AAAAAAAAAuI/eq6ahpLnLaQ/s400/MarketsField.jpg

legendz
02/03/2011, 1:07 PM
http://www.greyhound-data.com/fotos_stadium/4/12024_4big.jpg

This is it at the moment. A lot of work will have to be done if it's to get near Turners Cross.

http://www.fussballtempel.net/uefa/IRL/Turners_Cross_A.gif

Anyone know what the plans were? I heard at one stage mention of a 7,000 seater stadium and the possibility of a Rugby League team for Limerick to play in the leagues below the Super League.

bluewhitearmy
02/03/2011, 1:29 PM
Anyone know what the plans were? I heard at one stage mention of a 7,000 seater stadium and the possibility of a Rugby League team for Limerick to play in the leagues below the Super League.

Thats been going around for a while alright fine by me if we get a 7,000 seater out of it. Heard they will be building a stand onto the back of the college at the opposite side of the current stand.

legendz
02/03/2011, 1:36 PM
Thats been going around for a while alright fine by me if we get a 7,000 seater out of it. Heard they will be building a stand onto the back of the college at the opposite side of the current stand.

Even for someone who hasn't seen Limerick play there before, the Market's Field seems to be Limerick's spiritual home.

Jofspring
02/03/2011, 1:43 PM
http://www.iol.ie/~eganwd/atfc/newstadium/mainstand.png

Something like Athlones could be easily done on either side and would look great. It will be interesting to see what kind of investment will go into the ground from here and if anyone else decides now to get on board.

legendz
02/03/2011, 1:55 PM

Something like Athlones could be easily done on either side and would look great. It will be interesting to see what kind of investment will go into the ground from here and if anyone else decides now to get on board.

It could be the way to go about it alright. Just like Shamrock Rovers did, get one stand up first and build from there if needed. As far as I know the stand above is designed with 2500 seats. Two of those and a 1000 seats behind each goal in time will give 7000 if that's what they are looking at building going forward. It'll be interesting to hear what the plans are.

Magicme
02/03/2011, 2:05 PM
Whoooooooohooooooo. It's got a nice bar and secure parking. Finally can look forward to going to limerick again.

Dodge
02/03/2011, 2:29 PM
You and Rovers can play each other for a little Municipal Stadium Cup

Hope it all works out

legendz
02/03/2011, 2:34 PM
They'll have to include Waterford United, as far as I know the RSC is a Municipal Stadium as well?

legendz
02/03/2011, 2:48 PM
Here's the article on the move to the Market's Field:
http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/business/jp_mcmanus_buys_the_markets_field_for_limerick_fc_ 1_2460550

Dodge
02/03/2011, 2:48 PM
They'll have to include Waterford United, as far as I know the RSC is a Municipal Stadium as well?

Good point. ROvers, Limerick and Waterford can have their own tournament

Lim till i die
02/03/2011, 5:32 PM
Good point. ROvers, Limerick and Waterford can have their own tournament

Invite over Barcelona, make a weekend out of it.

avvenalaf
02/03/2011, 5:42 PM

Was this pic taken during a match?

avvenalaf
02/03/2011, 5:44 PM
This is great news for Limerick FC. Markets Field is where Limerick football should be and this COULD be the start of recovery in the city. Good luck.

Dublin Red
02/03/2011, 6:37 PM
Great news.

Will the track be left around the pitch?

gspain
02/03/2011, 6:54 PM
The old popularside opposite the stand which was only ever used for football will have enough room to include a stand as well. Plenty of room on the stand side too and behind both goals if needed.

Fantastic news and it will be great to go home after 27 years (28 if it happends in 2012).

oriel
02/03/2011, 8:09 PM
Markets is closer to the city that the other grounds you played in, is this right?

LK37oldskool
02/03/2011, 8:26 PM
After all these years, i'm so lookin forward to going home.One of the few here who spent many a sunday in the stand at the Markets Field.Have to say a tear was shed today!

Paddyfield
02/03/2011, 9:47 PM
Whoooooooohooooooo. It's got a nice bar and secure parking. Finally can look forward to going to limerick again.

Drinking and driving is forbidden Magicme

Jofspring
02/03/2011, 10:15 PM
Markets is closer to the city that the other grounds you played in, is this right?

6 of 1 really. Jackman and markets field are both only a few minutes walk from the city centre.

Magicme
02/03/2011, 11:04 PM
Drinking and driving is forbidden Magicme

My chauffeur doesnt drink.

Macy
03/03/2011, 8:05 AM
You and Rovers can play each other for a little Municipal Stadium Cup
Rovers to lodge an objection when they lose, on the basis it isn't owned by the council. Maybe if everyone was tax resident and paid their share, the council might've been able to provide it.

gael353
03/03/2011, 8:13 AM
yea if we had a federal system where monies were going directly into your local authority yes maybe....but this is ireland and all monies are going to fill a big fianna fail hole,limerick city council wouldnt have the money to lavish on such things as public amenities

Macy
03/03/2011, 8:29 AM
yea if we had a federal system where monies were going directly into your local authority yes maybe....but this is ireland and all monies are going to fill a big fianna fail hole,limerick city council wouldnt have the money to lavish on such things as public amenities
I would've said he was quite happy to cosy up to FF, to be honest. I just don't get the collective Limerick creaming whenever he deems it necessary to do a bit of philanthropy.

Just to be clear, if I was a Limerick supporter I doubt I'd give a crap about the how and who, once the club had a secure tenancy for the stadium.

Dave_SRFC
03/03/2011, 8:35 AM
Fair play, best of luck with this Limerick FC.

Jofspring
03/03/2011, 8:48 AM
I would've said he was quite happy to cosy up to FF, to be honest. I just don't get the collective Limerick creaming whenever he deems it necessary to do a bit of philanthropy.

Just to be clear, if I was a Limerick supporter I doubt I'd give a crap about the how and who, once the club had a secure tenancy for the stadium.

For me JP more than makes up for any tax break he gets, he has given millions to the developement of the Gaelic Rounds, Thomond Park, now the Markets Field. He has given towards the regional hospital, the cancer center, 2 diaylsis units, mri machine, cat scan machine, has a college scholarship system setup with CBS Limerick, helps out the friends of the elderly and probably a lot more that I can't think of. He doesn't have to do these things but he does.

As you say though as a Limerick supporter and using the typial irish attitude I don't mind what he's done for everyone else once we get a decent home :D

Begrudger
03/03/2011, 8:53 AM

I think people are getting carried away JP is no fool and he has always been generous to the people of Limerick through his charaties, However my belief is that for a start the current stand will get a face lift and the bar area the same to make it a more appealing place to spend a few hours on a friday evening watching senior soccer and that is going to be fantastic for the area. I'd imagine the attendances will tripple at least but that will bring somewhere in the region of 1500 to 2000 thousand supporters but developing a 7000 seater venue in a year is a big ask. Even if the facility was used by other sports ie. rugby league that would be suicide to put that much money into a facility the cost alone of security and maintenance would cripple any team using it.

With that said its great news for Limerick football.

Jofspring
03/03/2011, 9:08 AM
I think people are getting carried away JP is no fool and he has always been generous to the people of Limerick through his charaties, However my belief is that for a start the current stand will get a face lift and the bar area the same to make it a more appealing place to spend a few hours on a friday evening watching senior soccer and that is going to be fantastic for the area. I'd imagine the attendances will tripple at least but that will bring somewhere in the region of 1500 to 2000 thousand supporters but developing a 7000 seater venue in a year is a big ask. Even if the facility was used by other sports ie. rugby league that would be suicide to put that much money into a facility the cost alone of security and maintenance would cripple any team using it.

With that said its great news for Limerick football.

I agree with you, I would think the stands will be built up in phases similar to what was done in Tallaght. The main thing will be having somewhere to go before and after the games, it will make a huge difference.

Cuyahoga
03/03/2011, 12:03 PM
Yeh it was. It was their best crowd of the season.

peadar1987
03/03/2011, 12:12 PM
Yup, tidy, small stadium that's nice to be in is what Limerick needs. I've already had my only Limerick friend say she might start going to Limerick games once they move out of Jackman (which terrifies the life out of her!). If we extrapolate the 100% of people I know in Limerick going to games to the entire population of the city...

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/extrapolating.png

Better get building! :)

paudie
03/03/2011, 9:24 PM
Great news.

Will the track be left around the pitch?

I think it won't be kept

PartySaint
03/03/2011, 9:29 PM
Great news for Limerick (finally some after the FAI sham) with a bit of luck this might coincide with a return to the premier division, expect a big crowd on opening night

Jofspring
03/03/2011, 10:37 PM
"at this weeks council meeting it was claimed the the FAI CEO, John Delaney, was putting obstacles in the way of investors willing to invest their money in soccer in Limerick". That's a quote from the Limerick post newspaper, hard to know how much truth in it but if there is it just highlights the pettiness of the FAI.

Would be a dream for us to get promoted this season to coincide with the move back to the markets field.

EivissaPaul
03/03/2011, 11:45 PM
Great news for Limerick and the league.. delighted for ye!!

Lim till i die
04/03/2011, 12:17 AM
"at this weeks council meeting it was claimed the the FAI CEO, John Delaney, was putting obstacles in the way of investors willing to invest their money in soccer in Limerick".

It's amazing what the smell of a pound can do for the City Councils vocal chords.

I've no doubt what they're saying is true but with a few honorable exceptions we're all aware of, when Limerick senior football has needed them the most in the past, the vast majority of our public representatives have been noticable only by their absence.

That's the only downside to getting the Market's Field, watching all the great and the good hobnob up there like they ever gave a fig roll, will be a real stomach turner. :ball:

SkStu
04/03/2011, 12:32 AM
+1.

Great news for the league but most importantly for Limerick and the fans. It could be the catalyst needed to bring Limerick football back to the fore.

Begrudger
04/03/2011, 7:28 AM
It's amazing what the smell of a pound can do for the City Councils vocal chords.

I've no doubt what they're saying is true but with a few honorable exceptions we're all aware of, when Limerick senior football has needed them the most in the past, the vast majority of our public representatives have been noticable only by their absence.

That's the only downside to getting the Market's Field, watching all the great and the good hobnob up there like they ever gave a fig roll, will be a real stomach turner. :ball:

That is the first negative comment about the move. The loyal support of the fans who were willing to follow Limerick to the Pike field and then on to Jackman park was crucial to the survival of the club and fans like that are essential to the success of a club. Similiar critcisms were aimed at Munster fans who made the team an etremely wealthy business over the last 10 years but couldn't tell you the name of a player outside of Paul o Connel Ronan o Gara and Peter Stringer but the same people pay just as much in the gate and are just as entitled to go and support the team that represents the county. I have never taken the missus to Jackman to watch a match for the obvious reasons that attach themselves to the location and the condition of the facility. But I for one as a genuine supporter of senior soccer in Limerick will be glad to see the day when a big crowd can go to the markets field and cheer on the team have a couple of drinks and enjoy a good evening out.

Fester
04/03/2011, 7:47 AM
Brilliant News! Have fond memories of the Market Fields