PDA

View Full Version : PJ Casey Memorial Cup 1962/63

Dodge
28/02/2011, 12:24 PM
Looking through an old FAI League handbook and I noticed the abiove competition is listed in the honours section. Drumcondra were winners with Dundalk runners up

Now considering the only compeition listed in the handbook are League, League Cup, Top Four and this, I assume it was a big enough deal? (You'll not the lack of Shield winners, First Division Shield etc)

Does anybody have any info on it?

gspain
01/03/2011, 12:05 PM
Looking through an old FAI League handbook and I noticed the abiove competition is listed in the honours section. Drumcondra were winners with Dundalk runners up

Now considering the only compeition listed in the handbook are League, League Cup, Top Four and this, I assume it was a big enough deal? (You'll not the lack of Shield winners, First Division Shield etc)

Does anybody have any info on it?

PJ Casey was the father of Des Casey and the family were/are heavily involved in football in this country. He would have passed away around that time. I assume the cup
was in his memory.

It was only played once in 62/3 season - pre-season if I remember correctly. Limerick met Cork Celtic, Cork Hibs, Waterford, Bohs and Drums. I'd need to check but Drums was most likely a semi final as there were only ten teams in the league that season so 2 groups of 5 make sense. We had Celtic and Waterford at home.

I don't think it was played for again.

It may have replaced the Dublin City Cup that season but I'd have to check that.

All details are in Niall McSweeney's book (circa 85) which I cannot put my hands on but do have.

Dodge
01/03/2011, 12:33 PM
Thanks gspain. I was aware of the Casey's involvement but was just wondering about this competition.

The Dublin City Cup ran that year though, with Shels winning.

Pre-season makes sense as the league went from 12 teams in 61/62 to 10 in 62/63 so a group stage would give clubs those missing 4 games.

That year saw a league season of only 18 games, but with Shield, Top 4, Dublin City Cup, Provincial Cups and PJ Casey Memorial Cup there was enough to keep them occupied

gspain
01/03/2011, 5:12 PM
I think Hibs moved to Flower Lodge that season too and our game there was their first home game (AOH did play Sligo in the cup in 57 at the Lodge) and we also won. It took them quite a while to win at the Lodge which is ironic given their success there in later years.

BTW as I know you collect programmes the only one produced for a Pats game in the tournament is almost certainly Dundalk away. Limerick issued for both home games and Hibs issued for our game anyway. Nothing known for the final and probably nothing produced.

seand
24/03/2011, 11:32 PM
Part of the reason for the competition may have been that the league had been reduced to 10 teams that season with Transport and Sligo booted out (only to be extended again at the end of the season... Sligo and Drogheda in)

Thanks for the programme info too Gary!

gspain
25/03/2011, 9:26 AM
Part of the reason for the competition may have been that the league had been reduced to 10 teams that season with Transport and Sligo booted out (only to be extended again at the end of the season... Sligo and Drogheda in)

Thanks for the programme info too Gary!

Dundalk issued for both home games v Shels and Pats. I know I have 1 and need the other and think it is Pats I have. Neither turn up very often. No other programmes known for Dundalk games even the final.

It is likely only Dundalk, Limerick, Cork Hibs and Waterford issued programmes for those games.