PDA

View Full Version : Need a new laptop power jack?

horton
27/02/2011, 11:58 AM
Think that's the name for it. My laptop beeps everytime you connect/disconnect the power cable. Recently this beeps started going mental as the socket connects/disconnects rapidly. I know the chargers definitely fine so it needs the socket replaced. Does anyone have any idea roughly how much this would cost to fix in an IT shop or could an amateur with a soldering iron do this cheaper? It's an Acer Aspire laptop if that makes much difference?

Thanks,
Paul.

A face
27/02/2011, 2:01 PM
Is it still in warranty? Even if its definitely out of warranty it can sometimes be worth ringing anyway, you'd never know. I had to send a HP laptop away to get a part replaced and it was nearly 2 years out of warranty. Its worth lookming into it, and if you are charged then it'll give you a ball park idea on what it will cost.

Edit: Where are you based so we can recommend places to bring it for repair?

horton
28/02/2011, 5:44 AM
It's out of warranty(only by a few months so may try me luck). I bought it from PC World, the website for their repair people (The Tech Guys) claims that they don't repair Acer which seems stupid. The laptop still charges, it wouldn't be bothering me as much if I could turn off the stupid beep but Google informs me there is no easy way to disable it. Thanks!

Oh and I'm in Manchester, so unless anyone has lived over here I doubt anyone would know a good repair place?

A face
28/02/2011, 9:08 AM
Was that from PC World in Manchester yeah? If its only a few month then definitely go into them and ask for it to be done. You may get a sales assistant who would try and fob you off but be persistant, letting them know you expect them to help and they should sort you out.

horton
01/03/2011, 8:57 AM
Went into PC World, and it was the manager who was there. Guy pretty much fobbed me off, was rather rude about it. I've priced it around a few IT shops, and the going rate is £60-80. As that's a quarter of what the laptop is worth, I'd rather not spend it unless I absolutely have to. Theres another PC World nearby so I'll try me luck there. Thanks alot anyways!

tetsujin1979
01/03/2011, 9:29 AM
you could chance your arm on eBay?