PDA

View Full Version : Election 2011- Results

Mr A
26/02/2011, 12:36 PM
Looking like a good day for FG, but not going to get the overall majority.

Labour doing well, especially in Dublin. They seemed to have turned it round towards the very end of the campaign.

FF getting hammered. Fighting for the last seat in many places and they're so transfer repellent they will lose more often than not. Various ministers in trouble, including Mary Coughlan.

SF having a very good election and should more than double their seats.

Greens may retain a few seats.

Various Independents etc doing well, Mick Wallace, Shane Ross top the pole and Clare Daly looks like getting a seat.

If the government is FG-Lab some constituencies will have no opposition TD!

This is going to be a fascinating day :)

total hoofball
26/02/2011, 2:41 PM
The RTÉ exit poll is already looking sketchy due to an emerging shy Fianna Fáil factor so I'm not entirely convinced that FG/Lab is a 100% lock, yet. It's too hard to predict how many Indos will take seats and where the transfers from FF and Indo's will go. I still think 77 seats is a possibilty for FG, how many compatible Indo's get seats is the question for me.

All this doesn't matter anyway, the state is staring a sovereign default in the face so we'll back within 2 years despairing over FF's return to power while feeding ourselves out of a tin of beans

mypost
26/02/2011, 3:53 PM
10 TD's elected, 1 FF, which is the CC. Shane Ross elected with 17,000+ votes in Dublin South, and a lot of transfers to distribute. Labour have most seats so far.

Magicme
26/02/2011, 4:06 PM
I love count day. Best craic ever. It's like Christmas and eurovision.

dancinpants
26/02/2011, 5:29 PM

Greens may retain a few seats.

RTE website Results coverage claiming the Greens face being "wiped out"

Mr A
26/02/2011, 5:31 PM
Yeah, that's how it's looking now. I think Sergeant may have an outside chance but that's the height of it.

dahamsta
26/02/2011, 5:52 PM
What they hell is wrong with people in Tipp North? 30% of 1st preferences for a confirmed crook? Are they retarded or just plain inbred?

Magicme
26/02/2011, 6:22 PM
Same could be asked of some louth voters.

horton
26/02/2011, 6:46 PM
Haha can't believe Gerry Adams has been elected. Anytime I've seen him on the news being asked about specific policies etc. he hasn't a clue. Plus, he's threatening to try and push for a united Ireland. The Republics hammered already without us Nordies adding to it! Is it sad I'm genuinely excited by watching the results?

osarusan
26/02/2011, 7:28 PM
Message for FF candidates: You are not being punished for taking the difficult but necessary steps to try and avoid financial meltdown, you are being punished for bringing about the meltdown in the first place.

dahamsta
26/02/2011, 7:50 PM
Delighted to see Adams elected. I hope he achieves his goal in my lifetime.

osarusan
26/02/2011, 7:52 PM
Hamsters live 2-4 years on average, so it's highly unlikely.

Cuyahoga
26/02/2011, 8:22 PM
Delighted to see Mick Wallace elected and Luke Ming Flanagan. Glad Greens Have no seats that Paul Gogarty fella is such a prat, also John Gormley is so wishy washy, he wont be missed. Thrilled the Andrews dynasty is no longer. No Mary o'Rourke and Martin Mansergh anymore ' Hurray'.

Spudulika
26/02/2011, 8:51 PM
Catherine Yore gone, good - couldn't understand why they were calling her a hottie - same with Averil Power. Give me Mary Lou any day!

SkStu
26/02/2011, 9:12 PM
anyone got the overall national turnout? I cant seem to find anythng though the constituency to constituency turnout seems quite high.

Also would like to take this opportunity to congratulate my fellow countrymen on obliterating those charlatans who ran our country and our economy into the ground. It has been a long, long time coming but Fianna Fail are finally getting what they deserve. I hope their mistakes are never forgotten - RIP.

dancinpants
26/02/2011, 9:49 PM
Can't believe they are still getting 17% of first preference votes. Who, in the name of christ, are voting for these people?

Schumi
26/02/2011, 10:04 PM
anyone got the overall national turnout? I cant seem to find anythng though the constituency to constituency turnout seems quite high.70.1% according to RTE (http://www.rte.ie/news/election2011/results/index.html).

dfx-
26/02/2011, 10:10 PM
What they hell is wrong with people in Tipp North? 30% of 1st preferences for a confirmed crook? Are they retarded or just plain inbred?

I have family down there, if he went on a cold-blooded murdering rampage through the fields of North Tipp it'd maybe affect his election chances down to 27% first preference

Lim till i die
27/02/2011, 2:18 AM
Same could be asked of some louth voters.

The good people of Cavan Monaghan gave even more votes to Provisional Sin Fein. :eek:

Great election for Sinn Fein, (including one of the Current Affairs moderators :p) they are coming down the tracks, "Labour" are about to DESTROY themsleves by going into coalition for the sake of a few aging ex Workers Party egos.

Special mention for miss Bacik, rejected once again by the good people of Ireland, this time in the constituency most suited to the self righteous manure she dribbles and with the help of her party leader.

I'm sure there's a scrapheap somewhere where self important unelectables can moo self righteous nonsense at one another, she should tweet Dan Boyle, he'll give her directions.

Lim till i die
27/02/2011, 2:22 AM

Tipperary people at the count centre react to dahamsta's slur:

http://www.stephenhicks.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/irish-peasants.jpg

dahamsta
27/02/2011, 2:28 AM
Labour lurched to to the right a long time ago, and (assuming FG don't make the stupid mistake of choosing the indo route) they'll be in a far, far stronger coalition position than the greens. I don't think Labour is in any danger in this term as long as they keep Gilmore on a leash, or better yet get rid of him.

Magicme
27/02/2011, 3:54 AM
The good people of Cavan Monaghan gave even more votes to Provisional Sin Fein. :eek:

No that was the bad people of Cavan/Monaghan but in fairness, Caohin, or what ever the feck Kevin is in Irish, is a legend and was always gonna win. As for that young bint he had with him who could just about spell her own name, Ha! Lowest common denominator vote SF in the border areas coz they are too thick to do otherwise. Mensa members like me vote Labour so I think we qualify as the "good people" dont you?

horton
27/02/2011, 12:17 PM
So, still 30 seats to declare. As it stands:
Fine Gail 61
Labour 33
Fianna Fail 15
Shinners 13
Ind's 11
Greens 0
Others 3

Whoever's been voting for FF, shame on yourselves:p

dahamsta
27/02/2011, 3:10 PM
LTID, you're sounding very superior for someone criticising superior types. And you're personalising it. Stop please.

geysir
27/02/2011, 6:15 PM
Why do they have so many counts in Wicklow?
Could they not have eliminated the bottom 10 independents all at the one time and done the one count?

Lim till i die
27/02/2011, 7:03 PM
LTID, you're sounding very superior for someone criticising superior types. And you're personalising it. Stop please.

No problem boss. :)

Could they not have eliminated the bottom 10 independents all at the one time and done the one count?

Dick Roche appears to be acting the absolute Dick Roche, he hasn't a prayer of being elected why doesn't he show a bit of dignity?*

*Silly question.

osarusan
27/02/2011, 7:07 PM

You can only eliminate candidates other than the candidate with the lowest tally if all the votes added together would be less than the candidate above them. It's theoretically possible that every vote from the lowest candidate would transfer to the candidate with the second lowest total, and the added votes would put them above another candidate.

Here's an example of this:

http://www.rte.ie/news/election2011/results/clare.html

Candidates were eliminated one at a time (and their votes redistributed) until the 4th count, when 2 candidates were eliminated together, because even their combined total was lower than that of the candidate above them.

mypost
27/02/2011, 7:25 PM
After the election, they should split that constituency in two or possibly 3. Having 24 candidates standing is madness. I remember another long count in that constituency as far back as 2002.

Seagull
27/02/2011, 10:09 PM

There was a huge ballot paper in Wicklow with 24 candidates on it. It seems a large number of people voted 1-12 on one half of the page and then 1-12 again on the other half! As for Roche and his recount, shame on him wasting taxpayers money on a futile exercise but I suppose it's hard to change the habits of a lifetime. He, for one, won't be missed. The Shinners had all the Brady posters removed in Bray by Saturday morning, them lads are good at the night-time manoeuvres!

pauliek
27/02/2011, 10:54 PM
Well done to the great Joe Higgins, Clare Daly, Seamus Healy, Joan Collins and Richard Boyd Barrett of the left and big shout out to the two lads Mick Wallace and Ming Flanagan

horton
28/02/2011, 5:40 AM
Even though he's perfectly entitled to it, part of me thinks Roche's demand for a recount is one last dig at the public. As many(if not all?) of the people counting work for the local council, because of him not conceding defeat means the council will be missing alot of staff this morning thus wasting time and money needlessly. Charlie Keddy, one of the independents that ran has the most glorious beard I've ever saw.
http://www.wicklowpeople.ie/multimedia/archive/00820/65ccd3ee-f6cd-4c76-_820111a.jpg

I'm jealous!

mypost
28/02/2011, 5:55 AM
Even though he's perfectly entitled to it, part of me thinks Roche's demand for a recount is one last dig at the public.

I wouldn't go that far. Fidelma Eames ordered a full recount in her constituency. The problem here is the electoral register, which simply hasn't split the constituency, as it has elsewhere. Do the people who draw these boundaries, ever consider that candidates and constituents actually live in Wicklow? It's just too big, and there are too many candidates, which creates this issue, as it has in the past. Another example is Mayo, another entire county in one constituency. Despite it's size, Donegal is split in only two, but the size of Donegal SW dwarfs Donegal NE, by 3 or 4 to 1. One constituency is fine for the size of Louth but not Mayo, Wexford, or Wicklow.

Macy
28/02/2011, 8:19 AM
Wicklow is not too big, and no way should it be split. You'd effectively disenfranchise a lot of the county, as any split would mean much of the rural parts of the county lumped in with the massive population centres of Bray and Greystones. The size of the consituency isn't the problem, it's the number of nutjobs who think they'll get elected - I don't see how the size of the consituency would change that - you'd probably get more of them in a split constituency!

Can't see Roche making it over the line, even if he does get the seats to get ahead of his running mate - that's what makes it a waste of time imo.

We should be going for fewer bigger constituencies not more smaller ones. Donegal should be one 6 seater, not two 3 seaters, as should Kerry. There should be no 3 and 4 seaters at all - they're a gerrymander that give the oft quoted "seat bounce" to the largest party. If we want a less proportional system, FF and FG should be honest about it and put it before the people rather than manipulate the current system.

mypost
28/02/2011, 8:53 AM
24 candidates is way too many, and it's not the first time the count there has gone on after everyone else has packed up and gone home. Something has to be done about it.

In my constituency, there were 10 candidates, I gave votes to 8 of them, and 3 of them got elected. That's more than enough for any voter to choose from.

pineapple stu
28/02/2011, 9:09 AM
Charlie Keddy got my number 2 vote purely because of that beard. :) (And also because I knew he wasn't going to get in, so I couldn't really be accused of voting for people based on facial hair, which is a teensy bit irresponsible).

Dick Roche had a fair few posters graffiti-ed on around the area. His team put up a big yellow poster on top of them saying "This poster has been defaced by people who opposed DEMOCRACY", which I thought was rather pompous.

Don't think it really reflects well on the country that the Greens got completely wiped out; they were always the bitch in the coalition and have suffered for it despite bringing in stuff like the two bike schemes, insulation schemes and the likes. Maybe they're a bit too one-dimensional to be taken seriously, but it's handy to have a couple of people in there to keep that side of things ticking over.

Obviously had a pint or several on FF's demise.

Edit - mypost, are you proposing restricting the number of candidates? Isn't that completely against one of the points of democracy - that anyone can run, and that our leaders are selected from the people? As it stands, you have to pay a few quid to stand and I think get a certain number of names to approve you. How else can you restrict numbers? Cap it at 20? Some Monster Raving Looney party would block book the first 20. Cap it at those who will poll 1000 votes? Obviously nonsensical. Say anyone who doesn't get 1000 votes can never stand again? Discriminatory.

"More than enough for anyone to choose from"? Voting isn't like going down the supermarket and finding three brands of spaghetti. Surely it should be seen as a good thing that so many people sought to get actively involved instead of the usual whine to Joe Duffy?

Macy
28/02/2011, 9:23 AM
24 candidates is way too many, and it's not the first time the count there has gone on after everyone else has packed up and gone home. Something has to be done about it.
Everyone should have the opportunity to stand - anything that restricts it, or attempts to restrict it is, is anti democratic. I still don't see what that has to do with the size of the constituency anyway.

mypost
28/02/2011, 9:23 AM
What I'm proposing is the first sentence in Post 28.

pineapple stu
28/02/2011, 9:27 AM
And as Macy said, the two issues are completely unrelated.

Dodge
28/02/2011, 9:33 AM

So how would splitting the constituency guarentee a smaller list of candidates. Its basically the average number of party candidates and a load of loopers. Which suggest the size of the constituency doesn't matter at all. It had something like 95,000 eligible to vote and about 70,000 did. Thats far form the highest. Louth had about the same and they finished early yesterday.

And again, the important thing isn't that the results are quick, but that they are right

Rasputin
28/02/2011, 9:51 AM
Great to see ULA candidates elected along with the likes of Ming, O'Sullivan and Pringle.
Good to see PSF getting such a high seat count too.
Finally some genuine opposition to the most right wing Labour Party in Europe (except Britain), and the right wing FF and FG.
Cant see the coaltion lasting more than 2 years, between the divisions within FG between the old mainly rural parochial conservative guard headed by Kenny and then the new Neo-Liberal right wing economic followers that are headed by the likes of Varadkar. Couple that with FG's divisions with Labour and the next budgets they have to force through and the inevitable strikes that will follow.
It will be a mircale if it lasts more than 2 years.

dahamsta
28/02/2011, 12:20 PM
I've moved the latter end of the Wicklow splitting discussion here (http://foot.ie/threads/147990-Wicklow-Splitters), please continue to debunk the nonsense there instead of here.

mypost
01/03/2011, 5:37 AM
Subject to the odd recount or two, all seats have been filled. The breakdown is:

FG 76, LR 37, FF 20, SF 14, 19 Independents

A majority of 113-53. The highest ever, and a two thirds majority unlikely to be seen again.

ArdeeBhoy
01/03/2011, 10:46 AM
So whatever happened to the foot.ie poll then??

Can we put in an early request for the next election......

legendz
02/03/2011, 1:43 PM
I'm pleased with the result. The last time FG and Labour were in power they did a good job. The main reason Labour took a hit in '97 was for going in to government with FF. The Spring tide was backed on the basis they were not going to go into power with FF at the time. Most voter knew in this election, a FG/Labour government was a possibility. It's completely different to the situation in '92.

bennocelt
03/03/2011, 6:46 PM
No that was the bad people of Cavan/Monaghan but in fairness, Caohin, or what ever the feck Kevin is in Irish, is a legend and was always gonna win. As for that young bint he had with him who could just about spell her own name, Ha! Lowest common denominator vote SF in the border areas coz they are too thick to do otherwise. Mensa members like me vote Labour so I think we qualify as the "good people" dont you?

Jesus Magicme you are like a broken record at this stage,give over

BonnieShels
04/10/2011, 12:00 AM
Vinny B had the main party candidates for the Dublin West constituency bye-election.

Bottom of the barrel stuff.

Was funny watching David McGuinness of the FFailures justifying why anyone should vote for him because he worked closely with Lendahand, lord rest him.

osarusan
14/11/2011, 4:41 AM
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2011/1114/1224307527941.html?via=mr

THE FINE Gael-Labour Coalition has installed large numbers of people with party links to State boards since coming into office, despite promises to end the system of political patronage.

Those appointed include at least 20 past or present party members, strategists or donors. In no case was the link identified at the time the Government announced the appointment.

Spudulika
14/11/2011, 8:37 AM
Nothing new Osarusan, I was hit in another thread for daring to say this lot are as bad as FF, none so blind.

mypost
14/11/2011, 8:40 AM
The current breakdown is

FG 75+1 LR 38 FF 19 SF 14, Indies 19

FF have the same numbers now as the Indies. How the mighty have fallen? The second half of their self-pity documentary is on RTE tonight.

Macy
14/11/2011, 9:52 PM
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2011/1114/1224307527941.html?via=mr
meh, have to even up the numbers. No point trying to implement changes whilst the FF sleepers are still in the majority on boards. If it's not changed in the lifetime of the Government, then I'll be giving out.