PDA

View Full Version : 2011 TV Coverage

total hoofball
26/02/2011, 1:37 AM
I haven't seen anything announced regarding this season's tv coverage but Shamrock Rovers vs Dundalk is down for RTE Two on Friday 4th March at 7.35pm

Anyone know how many matches RTE and Setanta are going to cover this season? Wasn't this season meant to be year the FAI planned that a live match would be on every week? (I know there isn't chance that will happen now with RTÉ's belt tightening)

osarusan
26/02/2011, 9:50 AM
RTÉ Sport’s commitment to the eircom League of Ireland will dramatically increase. From next season, RTÉ Television will broadcast a weekly one-hour highlights programme featuring reports and analysis of that week’s action in the eircom League of Ireland. RTÉ Television’s coverage of live eircom League of Ireland matches will also grow over the term of the contract, culminating with 33 live matches (one-per-week) in the final year of the term – the 2013 season.

http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2740

legendz
01/03/2011, 11:41 AM
It'll be Shamrock Rovers v Dundalk shown on Friday alright but there hasn't been much mention of it.

Doomofman
01/03/2011, 12:06 PM
It'll be Shamrock Rovers v Dundalk shown on Friday alright but there hasn't been much mention of it.

Saw an ad for it on tv in the last couple of days... So at least they're telling people it's on

A face
01/03/2011, 1:54 PM
It would be great if TG4 or TV3 did a preview programme on Thursday nights as well, just to get the ball rolling kinda thing. Even 30 mins would do.

legendz
01/03/2011, 2:47 PM
What's in it for TV3? It's RTE showing the games.

Dodge
01/03/2011, 2:49 PM

TV3 can show them if the want.

A face
01/03/2011, 5:13 PM

TV3 can show them if the want.

Exactly, and they signed up to that media partnership thing a few years back so they are fully aware of it as well.

legendz
01/03/2011, 6:38 PM
Do RTE do much of a preview for other sports? I know in the summer they do a bit for the GAA. Most of the previews are done on the shows the weekend before.

EivissaPaul
02/03/2011, 1:29 AM
Really hope plenty is shown, I have Setanta Ireland & the normal Irish stations here in spain and is great for me watching games while i am working... got a number of new interested folk following shamrock rovers on last day of the season.. funny how it goes when i offer to buy a round should shamrock rovers win the league :)

A N Mouse
04/03/2011, 7:23 AM
http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2011/0303/airtricityleague.html

No sign of televised fixtures, other than tonight's, but some additions to the panel.

JC_GUFC
04/03/2011, 7:31 AM
http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2011/0303/airtricityleague.html

No sign of televised fixtures, other than tonight's, but some additions to the panel.

I'm not sure having Giles and Houghton on is that good an idea - they've hardly been praising the league is past analysis...:bottle:

Straightstory
04/03/2011, 8:44 AM
Houghton has said a few positive things about the League. Giles is indifferent. Gormley was a big critic of MNS last season. Interesting that he's a new panelist.

Dodge
04/03/2011, 9:48 AM
I'm not sure having Giles and Houghton on is that good an idea - they've hardly been praising the league is past analysis...:bottle:

Houghton's brutal but Giles doesn't really care about the league. he'll just call it as he sees it. It should add some sort of respectibility with the famous barstoolers though

holidaysong
04/03/2011, 10:09 AM
Delighted to see the radio show continuing on RTÉ R1 Extra. Was always very good last year.

sligoman
04/03/2011, 10:23 AM
Giles, Houghton, Whelan and Cunningham? Jesus Christ. At least most of the panelists in both seasons knew the league, these wont have a clue.

Although it might make some barstoolers take heed of it now they'll recognise some of the panelists. Might not either though.

Dodge
04/03/2011, 10:37 AM
For the record Whelan and Houghton don't know anything about english football either

marinobohs
04/03/2011, 10:52 AM

Giles experience with the LOI (shams in Milltown) hardly likely to leave a rosy glow so not surprising he has never really commented on it (presume now its just work). Ronnie Whelan made a few apperances for Home Farm as a 17 (?) year old before heading off to Liverpool and has been pretty much based there since (dont even recall him going to see the little brother in FAI Cup final - but he may well be a closet LOI fanatic :rolleyes:). Cunningham and Houghton have no connection whatsoever with the LOI so the best that can be said is that they bring "a fresh perspective" (end cliche).

To be fair RTE coverage has been OK (including MNS) in recent seasons and the panellists (like or loathe) have had some knowledge to contribute, the latest editions appear to turn coverage into a "premiership tribute band". hope I'm wrong but lots of the "Lad so and so looks promising, might get a chance in english lower leagues" type comments probobly not likely to add a lot.

Dodge
04/03/2011, 11:28 AM
Whelan, in fairness, is steeped in LOI stock with his Dad being a legend at Pats, and his brothers (maybe cousins too?) having long careers here

I remember one of the first LOI games RTE did live ona friday night being Shels v Pats in 1998 with Giles providing the commentary with George hamilton. His analysis was excelelnt and he was more than fair to the players. The only thing that let him down was his lack of knowledge. He was commenting on our striker at the time and how well he played "whats his name George, the American lad?" It was Walkinstown's Paul Keegan who was on loan to us from the New England Revolutuon :)

marinobohs
04/03/2011, 1:44 PM
... add in nephew (Gavin) for Whelan LOI connections. I have no doubt Giles etc know about football but would prefer current MNS panel and leave the others to the Premiership, just a view and not something I woud be too perturbed about either way.

Martinho II
07/03/2011, 12:29 PM
I wonder does that mean that the remaining ones from last seasons mns panel are gone. I dont see Sean Pruntys name mentioned at all on the website? it must be big cutbacks at RTE if they are using Ronnie Whelan and Johnny Giles.. at least Eamon Dunphy isnt on it which is a relief!

nigel-harps1954
08/03/2011, 4:36 PM
I would imagine Dunphy was approached but turned it down. I for one am glad to see it. It's a good chance for those types (ala Houghton, Whelan, Giles etc) who never bother their holes looking at LOI football to sit up and take notice of the standard of football rising constantly rising here.
I'd just love to see some of them actually attend games now to build up a bit of knowledge of the league. Theres nothing stopping any of them going to a game even in the Dublin area anytime.

TonyD
08/03/2011, 9:57 PM
I remember one of the first LOI games RTE did live ona friday night being Shels v Pats in 1998 with Giles providing the commentary with George hamilton. His analysis was excelelnt and he was more than fair to the players. The only thing that let him down was his lack of knowledge. He was commenting on our striker at the time and how well he played "whats his name George, the American lad?" It was Walkinstown's Paul Keegan who was on loan to us from the New England Revolutuon :)

Yeah, I remember that game too, and would agree. I also remember Giles co-commentating on the Cup Final in 96, Pats v Shels. He is the best co-commentator in the business I think and is honest in calling a game. He may not know the players but he'll give a good analysis. Having said that, don't really see the point in having him on MNS, apart from the "Star" factor. The panelists were mainly good in the last couple of years, Sadlier,Colm Foley, even Roddy is quite entertaining, if a bit of a spoofer. Having watched the show on Monday it's disimproved from last year in my view. As others have said, way, way too much filler and not enough football ( and yes the "Paper Talk" was cringeworthy). It seems RTE just can't bring themselves to devote a whole hour to the league. Do they really think more people are going to watch the show to hear talk about Stephen Ireland and Trappatoni ? I think not. People who watch will be people with an interest in the league, the rest won't give a toss.

Dunny
08/03/2011, 10:10 PM
Coverage of Setanta Cup:

Monday 21st March

Dundalk v Glentoran (KO 19:45)

Monday 4th April

Semi-Final First-Leg TBC (KO 19:45)

Monday 11th April

Semi-Final First-Leg TBC (KO 19:45)

Monday 18th April

Semi-Final Second-Leg (KO 19:45)

Tuesday 19th April

Semi-Final Second-Leg (KO 19:45)

Saturday 14th May

Final (KO TBC *Will follow live FA Cup coverage)

legendz
08/03/2011, 10:45 PM
It's good going having games clash with MNS. Is Monday night really the best time for the LoI highlights? League Sunday for the GAA seems to have a good time slot.