PDA

View Full Version : Let's give Fenn a break

Pages : [1] 2

Counting Crow
30/05/2004, 9:32 PM
Fair play to the guy for coming out and acknowledging that he is not playing well. That takes ball$ especially when he is being slaughtered by some sections.

I also think it is half the battle if a player admits it. He will now knuckle down and attempt to rectify the situation I'm sure, like the pro he is.

He will need all our support now though, to build up his confidence.

In fairness, he will be of no benifit to us if he spends his time on the bench a broken man because of the critisism rolling down off the terraces.

Here's hoping for a goal from him on Friday vs. SPA.

Gary
30/05/2004, 9:35 PM
Where did he say this Crow?

I think people are being overly harsh, almost for the sake of it at this point. He will improve given time.

thecorner
30/05/2004, 10:43 PM
nah. hes had his chance with me anyway

seeing him give up the way he did at the RSC did it for me

while i wont boo him during his 70 minutes(and decreasing) on the pitch,it is gonna take a lot to now win me over

the perfect oppurtunity to prove yourself to the fans is when ur playing against a crowd that hate you

chants of judas from the waterford fans should have inspired him.

look at reynolds, cahill back at the cross....love to do well against their former club.

when you see a player giving up chasing for a ball, it doesnt say much about their desire to play for the club(and this isnt the first game it has happened in)

GavinZac
30/05/2004, 11:39 PM
nah. hes had his chance with me anyway
seeing him give up the way he did at the RSC did it for me
while i wont boo him during his 70 minutes(and decreasing) on the pitch,it is onna take a lot to now win me over
the perfect oppurtunity to prove yourself to the fans is when ur playing against a crowd that hate you
chants of judas from the waterford fans should have inspired him.
look at reynolds, cahill back at the cross....love to do well against their former club.
when you say a player giving up chasing for a ball, it doesnt say much about their desire to play for the club(and this isnt the first game it has happened in)

i take it you've found yourself a new target then, since greg became popular again.

thecorner
30/05/2004, 11:41 PM
i take it you've found yourself a new target then.

dont have targets, just call it as i see it

and i dont think im on my own on the fenn issue :p

GavinZac
30/05/2004, 11:44 PM
and i dont think im on my own on the fenn issue :p

you never are

Druss
31/05/2004, 12:09 AM
He had a stinker against Waterford, but he was far from being the only one.
Like xtreme rebel said, there were people (one very vocal!) who seemed to be at the Waterford game with the sole intention of screaming abuse at Fenn from kick-off. He's the new Georgie!

I would have put Sweeney on for Fenn as well, but when the change was made and Fenn turns applaud our fans on his way off, a few "supporters" start shouting more abuse at him. Whats the point?

As far as i'm concerned its ok for city fans to say what they like about players and team selection on a forum like this, but while a player is on the pitch they deserve our support.

A face
31/05/2004, 12:20 AM
As far as i'm concerned its ok for city fans to say what they like about players and team selection on a forum like this, but while a player is on the pitch they deserve our support.

I have to agree there .... abuse will not change anything to be honest ... but quite often makes it worse.

thecorner
31/05/2004, 12:33 AM
big difference between georgie and fenn

we all know georgie will give his all fo the jersey, whereas fenn................ :rolleyes:

Druss
31/05/2004, 12:39 AM
big difference between georgie and fenn

we all know georgie will give his all fo the jersey, whereas fenn................ :rolleyes:

I meant that comparison as in the prefered target of the ******* who go only to be dissapointed.
Last year it was georgie (for no apparent reason)
This year its Fenn (admitedly more reason, but it doesn't make it right IMO)

razor
31/05/2004, 7:30 AM
IMO fenn has no pride in playing for city. he is just there to collect his payslip and thats it. reason he probaly played well with waterford is cos short term contract, he was putting himself in the shop window.
This kind of crap has been going on in Cork for years, its begrudgery in its purest form, how many times have you heard it, "that fella, he's on 5 grand a week", "lazy b@llix", people think just because they think they know what a guys earning that he should be doing more.
He's putting in a damn sight more effort than John O'Flynn at the moment and you don't see anyone getting on his back.

the man is afraid to get hurt or even to put in the effort.
This is John O'Flynn you're talking about surely.

tiktok
31/05/2004, 7:58 AM
I can't stand anyone booing any city player on the field, or while he's walking off it to be substituted, we've had enough stupidity in the past with kids following moses example screaming abuse at Morley in a season where he scored twenty goals for us, it's like we always have to have a target to whinge about.

We're never fcuking happy.

The lad has put his hand up and said "I'm not playing well", obviously he's looking to improve, so while that's his attitude, i've no problem with him. As I've said before, I've seen him do very little wrong in a city shirt.

Support your team and your players for christs sake.

thecorner
31/05/2004, 9:40 AM
He's putting in a damn sight more effort than John O'Flynn at the moment

have you been going to the same games as me

ccfcman
31/05/2004, 11:31 AM
In my opinion, our worst player against Longford and Wayerford was JOF. He performance against Longford was ignored because of the great goal he scored...
true is jof fit yet cos he must be rusty

thecorner
31/05/2004, 12:02 PM
In my opinion, our worst player against Longford and Wayerford was JOF. ...

at least the man will move

sure i saw some dust starting to gather on fenn last firday ight

razor
31/05/2004, 12:37 PM
sure i saw some dust starting to gather on fenn last firday ight
After a 12.30 start in the Shelbourne, I doubt it.

thecorner
31/05/2004, 12:38 PM
After a 12.30 start in the Shelbourne, I doubt it.

not for me

razor
31/05/2004, 12:42 PM
not for me

So this was only all talk then (http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=14722)

looks like another blur rsc tonite

tiktok
31/05/2004, 12:51 PM
also jof has his track record with the club and fans :)

so we cut someone who's performed for us in the past a bit of slack when they're going through a rough patch, but we won't offer the same consideration to Fenn who admits he's going through a rough patch.

thecorner
31/05/2004, 12:55 PM
So this was only all talk then (http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=14722)

could u please tell me where it says just once that i would be there at 12.30

i think not :rolleyes:

razor
31/05/2004, 2:00 PM
could u please tell me where it says just once that i would be there at 12.30

i think not :rolleyes:

Point taken. I was mixing you up with them student types. :)

But if it was all a blur for ya then we cannot surely take your comments seriously regarding what went on the other night ?

tiktok
31/05/2004, 2:09 PM
if he is being subbed then u let ur feeling be know

rubbish. if you're a supporter, you should be there to support, full stop.
what possible advantage do the fans gain by getting ona player's back when his confidence is down?

tiktok
31/05/2004, 2:22 PM
ur letting him know that he'd want to up his game.

it's up to the manager to assess his game and let him know where he needs to improve, we can all whine as much as we want on here. but booing a player who's going through a rough patch can end up wrecking his confidence and only making the situation worse, especially a player who's not played that many games yet.

Again, the question was, what do you gain by booing him off?

thecorner
31/05/2004, 2:28 PM
Point taken. I was mixing you up with them student types. :)

But if it was all a blur for ya then we cannot surely take your comments seriously regarding what went on the other night ?

point not taken me thinks

if u read PROPERLY u will see that blur statement was regarding somebody that would be in the shelbourne since 12.30

did u forget your reading glasses today?????????

razor
31/05/2004, 2:55 PM
point not taken me thinks

if u read PROPERLY u will see that blur statement was regarding somebody that would be in the shelbourne since 12.30

did u forget your reading glasses today?????????

So when Pablo mentioned he was going to be there at 12.30 and you said "likewise", that didn't actually mean you were going to be there at 12.30 at all?????

Oh well pardon me then for totally misunderstanding you.

Colm
31/05/2004, 3:05 PM
So when Pablo mentioned he was going to be there at 12.30 and you said "likewise", that didn't actually mean you were going to be there at 12.30 at all?????

Oh well pardon me then for totally misunderstanding you.

Razor, why does it matter to you what time he went to the pub at?
There were a hell of a lot of City fans drinking in the Shelbourne at luchtime on friday but I don't see how that's got anything to do with a thread about Neale Fenn (unless he himself was drinking at luchtime on friday!!).

NorthoftheLee
31/05/2004, 3:11 PM
but I don't see how that's got anything to do with a thread about Neale Fenn (unless he himself was drinking at luchtime on friday!!).

Maybe now you're onto something that can explain his last 2 performances.. :D

Colm
31/05/2004, 3:14 PM
Maybe now you're onto something that can explain his last 2 performances.. :D

Quite possibly!
It would seem to make sense alright! :D

patsh
31/05/2004, 4:44 PM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Is Fenn 17 years old or something? Is he some kind of super sensitive person who cannot be criticised?
Georgie was booed last year, no matter how well he played, so there is a big difference.
There are a few here giving about about the grief Fenn is getting, who were booing the whole team at the Cross a few weeks ago.
So Fenn admits he is not playing well. That makes it alright then....
No matter how bad a patch someone is going through, they can put in a bit of effort.
I hope things start to turn around for him, but the best way to do that is to try to play in games, not just stand and watch it pass you by.
I've had my say about him now, I just want him to knuckle down and work hard. If he has any sense, he will see that City are the club to be at for the next few years, and he can be a vital and successful part of the big things to come.
Its up to him.

thecorner
31/05/2004, 6:07 PM
I think JOF's last two performances have been just as bad as Neale Fenn's if not worse.

if JOF last 2 performances are bad, its probably because he is depressed at looking at what it is partnering him upfront

Gary
31/05/2004, 6:38 PM
Rubbish Corner, absolute poppycoq.

I dont think Flynny is playing all that bad. I think he showed glimpses of his old self the other night. True he is holding himself back a bit, but remember, this is the guys livelihood at stake.

As for Fenn, what I dont understand is that people seem to be taking pleasure at taking pops off him, until finally coming back to the old hacknied cliché "look at what he earns etc etc". It just going to take a bit of time for him to click. He has come to a new club, with huge expectations on his shoulders.

He isnt playing great, but he certainly isnt playing rubbish. Give the guy a break. My only criticism of him, is his total inability to jump.

But after seeing and hearing some of the bile being spouted, i wouldnt put myself out either. Fair play to him for still making an effort in the face of adversity.

tiktok
31/05/2004, 7:00 PM
:There are a few here giving about about the grief Fenn is getting, who were booing the whole team at the Cross a few weeks ago.

I said I'd boo the team off if I felt that they didn't perform, but that I'd support them for the full ninety minutes on another thread (if I'm one of the ones you're talking about), but there's a huge difference between letting a team know they've collectively let you down and picking on an individual player and giving him a crisis of confidence (enough that he feels he has to address the issue in the tabloids).

I didn't boo Morley, Gaughan, Hartigan, Kabia or Kev Murray so i'm sure as hell not going to boo Fenn.

It may not be that far from what George received last season either Patsh, it's already been implied by a few on here that even if he settles, gets better and starts playing well that it won't affect people's poor opinion of him. Sounds like that's a personal issue! Especially when some of the criticism is so far removed from the reality of the man's game.

I think he's done well enough for us do far this season that we can cut him a bit of slack for an off period. Remember that he's not played for any of the front two for more than three games at a time, all I'm saying is at least give him a chance.

patsh
31/05/2004, 7:44 PM
I said I'd boo the team off if I felt that they didn't perform, but that I'd support them for the full ninety minutes on another thread (if I'm one of the ones you're talking about), but there's a huge difference between letting a team know they've collectively let you down and picking on an individual player and giving him a crisis of confidence (enough that he feels he has to address the issue in the tabloids).
Are you seriously trying to say that there is a difference between booing a player for playing badly, and a team for playing badly?
Let's not bring the Jesuits into this.....
Btw, I didn't boo him, just shouted at him to buck himself and make an effort.
I think a lot of you are exaggerating the "abuse".

Neil
31/05/2004, 7:53 PM
This kind of crap has been going on in Cork for years, its begrudgery in its purest form, how many times have you heard it, "that fella, he's on 5 grand a week", "lazy b@llix", people think just because they think they know what a guys earning that he should be doing more.
He's putting in a damn sight more effort than John O'Flynn at the moment and you don't see anyone getting on his back.

Well said. Some of the **** coming out of peoples mouths on Friday was frightening (and from people that you would have thought were level - headed). Some of the **** here is even worse considering it's not heat of the moment stuff during a game! Surprised at ye corner and patsh.

razor
31/05/2004, 8:22 PM
Razor, why does it matter to you what time he went to the pub at?
Colm it matters to me not one bit how much of his free time he spends in the pub. Same as it does not matter to me one iota how many times he contradicts himself on this board. just making a point.

There are a few here giving about about the grief Fenn is getting, who were booing the whole team at the Cross a few weeks ago.
So Fenn admits he is not playing well. That makes it alright then....
No matter how bad a patch someone is going through, they can put in a bit of effort.
Thats my point exactly patsh, I watched Fenn the other night, he was given very little support from our other players when surrounded by the enemy, sometimes 3 or 4 of them and they took the ball off him but because he had no outlet for it. He put in the effort with no support from players or fans alike.
I will boo any player I think is short changing us but the other night I don't think he did.
In the end everyone is entitled to their opinion but what annoyed me more than anything was at the end after all the abuse the boy took he still came over with the rest of the team and clapped us and you know what, we didn't deserve it.

thecorner
31/05/2004, 8:47 PM
Colm it matters to me not one bit how much of his free time he spends in the pub. Same as it does not matter to me one iota how many times he contradicts himself on this board. just making a point.

could u please point out where i contradicted myself cos im having a lot of trouble finding it

thecorner
31/05/2004, 8:50 PM
Surprised at ye corner and patsh.

neil, we are all entitled to an opinion and as far as i Can see lately,fenn wouldnt lift his leg for a p!ss.

friday night vs SPA

GIVE SWEENEY HIS CHANCE AND LETS GET THE GEORGIE AND FLYNNY SHOW BACK ON THE ROAD

Neil
31/05/2004, 8:55 PM
GIVE SWEENEY HIS CHANCE AND LETS GET THE GEORGIE AND FLYNNY SHOW BACK ON THE ROAD

The thing is I'd probably agree with ya that Fenn needs to be dropped. Maybe.

But with Doyle out there aren't many options.

George is playing out of his skin in midfield, why move him?

And Flynny doesn't merit a place the way he's playing either.

Try Nolan and Fraher on Friday :cool:

thecorner
31/05/2004, 8:57 PM
or our latest u-21 international :)

Colm
31/05/2004, 9:00 PM
Try Nolan and Fraher on Friday :cool:

The two of them couldn't even hack it against Carrick yesterday. Although, I suppose playing against a first division material team like Pats would a lot easier! :D

Neil
31/05/2004, 9:03 PM
The two of them couldn't even hack it against Carrick yesterday. Although, I suppose playing against a first division material team like Pats would a lot easier! :D

OK, Behan and Nwankwo. Spring Fenn and Flynny off the bench after an hour if we're not 3/4 up.

NorthoftheLee
01/06/2004, 8:25 AM
:confused:
me thinks that would be sucide

me thinks that would be sarcasm :eek:

patsh
01/06/2004, 4:20 PM
Surprised at ye corner and patsh.
Really?
Why?
Because I think one of our players is not making an effort, and I'm not happy about it?

Neil
01/06/2004, 7:37 PM
Really?
Why?
Because I think one of our players is not making an effort, and I'm not happy about it?

And John O'Flynn had a blinder I suppose?

thecorner
01/06/2004, 7:53 PM
Fenn is the target for the boo-boys this year Neil.

ur really starting to get on my fcuking nerves

calling us boo-boys. a lot of the board here would know me and would know i always give city 100%.
not happy with fenn in the team but when he is playing i support him.

when i didnt agree with greg being in the team, i supported him when he played and when he had a stormer against SPA i was the first one to say it.

cant say i ever disagreed with george being in the team

you would wanna fcuk off now with the way you are labelling fans.

tiktok
01/06/2004, 8:05 PM
to be fair thecorner, from reading xtreme's post I don't think he was referring to you at all

thecorner
01/06/2004, 8:08 PM
to be fair thecorner, from reading xtreme's post I don't think he was referring to you at all

well then let him come out and say that

WHO ARE THE BOO-BOYS HE IS REFERRING TO???????????

WHEN WE ARE CRITICISING FENN, HE MUST AIMING THE BOO-BOYS AT US

razor
01/06/2004, 8:27 PM
. a lot of the board here would know me and would know i always give city 100%.
No chance of us being able to boo you then. ;)

not happy with fenn in the team but when he is playing i support him.
Be hard pushed to believe that by the way you have slated him here.

you would wanna fcuk off now with the way you are labelling fans.
The same way you label whatever player takes your fancy. :rolleyes:

Xtreme is dead right to say what he has. Some of us think he is putting in effort and while not playing to his full potential, he is trying. Which is more than I can say for John O'Flynn but you don't hear the rest of us berating Flynnie to the extent some people are going on about Fenn.

Give it a rest before the paranoia takes over.

patsh
01/06/2004, 9:18 PM
And John O'Flynn had a blinder I suppose?
Blinder?
I'm talking, and have been continously been talking, about EFFORT.
Fenn is not putting in any.
Are you deliberately ignoring my point?

Fenn is the target for the boo-boys this year Neil. He isn't playing well, i'm sure is trying his best in training to improve. He put in as much effort as JOF in Waterford....

It's like talking to the wall...had to say the same stuff about George last year. They target the guys with a touch of class...
Are you referring to me?
Or is it the people in this thread who booed the team of the pitch a few short weeks ago?
The same people who are getting all hot under the collar over the justifiable criticism of Fenn.

Does anyone care to explain to me why criticising a player is wrong, but its all fine and dandy when some of you direct it at team, probably feeling it was justified?

thecorner
01/06/2004, 9:25 PM
Be hard pushed to believe that by the way you have slated him here.
I HAVE ALWAYS SUPPORTED THE 11 PLAYERS THAT ARE ON THE PITCH. AND ILL CRITICISE AFTERWARDS IF I FEEL THERE IS A NEED

The same way you label whatever player takes your fancy. :rolleyes:

call as i see it

Some of us think he is putting in effort

i see you dont set your standards very high if you call that "effort" :rolleyes: