PDA

View Full Version : Ireland for the cross

shedite
06/11/2001, 8:37 PM
Ireland U-19 V Austria U-19
2pm tomorrow(wed)

Last night in Cobh was unbelievable. 5,000 fans! How about we double that tomorrow, get a great atmosphere going, and who knows, Kilkenny got an U-21 international, why can't we? Mabye if we create a good enough atmosphere then when we FINALLY get floodlights we could get a few U-21 internationals at the cross.

C'mon Ireland!!!

Gunthers Mask
06/11/2001, 9:44 PM
There is a under 21 game in Feburary at the cross I think Ireland are playing Denmark

Gerry Desmond
07/11/2001, 8:27 AM
Originally posted by shedite
Ireland U-19 V Austria U-19
2pm tomorrow(wed)

Last night in Cobh was unbelievable. 5,000 fans! How about we double that tomorrow, get a great atmosphere going, and who knows, Kilkenny got an U-21 international, why can't we? Mabye if we create a good enough atmosphere then when we FINALLY get floodlights we could get a few U-21 internationals at the cross.

C'mon Ireland!!!

I think the press estimates of the crowd in Cobh were a bit high. I'd say 2,500 - 3,000 is more realistic.

Floodlights have a lot to do with the siting of underage internationals but so has politics. If we are losing out/have lost out by not having more representative games on Leeside, you must really look beyond the lights issue. I mean, there's a game at the X today and we STILL don't have lights...

Gerry

pete
07/11/2001, 9:46 AM
2,500 on a Monday night in Cobh for an u-19 game is very very good. I can guarantee you if that was on in Tolka or Dalymount on Monday it would be lucky to get such an attendance.

Aside from the floodlights matter (I belive the main reason personally) isn't there some rule that u-21 games can't take place more than 100 miles from the senior international unless the teams agree in advance?

If theres a 1000 at the game today that be good considering its at 2pm on a weekday.

BTW wheres the game on friday on?

Gerry Desmond
07/11/2001, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by pete
2,500 on a Monday night in Cobh for an u-19 game is very very good. I can guarantee you if that was on in Tolka or Dalymount on Monday it would be lucky to get such an attendance.

Aside from the floodlights matter (I belive the main reason personally) isn't there some rule that u-21 games can't take place more than 100 miles from the senior international unless the teams agree in advance?

If theres a 1000 at the game today that be good considering its at 2pm on a weekday.

BTW wheres the game on friday on?

Yeah, the Cobh turnout was very good.

The rule is for competitive games. If the countries agree, of course, it can be played anywhere. The Denmark U21 is a friendly so the distance rule does not apply.

Friday's game is in Cobh @ 7.30.
For anyone who can't make it, Austria & Latvia will be playing in the Mardyke at the same time.

Gerry

pete
07/11/2001, 11:34 AM
I remember going to the u-16 euro championships at Bishopstown years ago. Think it was Denmark v Grmany & ended 5-4. Pity there was only 200 odd people there though.

Unfortunatley don't remember any of the players who played there...

Sid
07/11/2001, 11:49 AM
I reckon there be a decent crowd down there myself with most schools having a half day. About half the down in Colesman Park were kids, so I'd say it'll be a lot more than half today.

Gary
07/11/2001, 5:25 PM
If there were 4000 in Cobh on onday, then there were 7500 at the cross today.

In reality there were about 2000-2300 in Cobh and about 3000 today. Which is still really good going!

yiddo
07/11/2001, 5:40 PM
Ireland won 2-0. crowd today was about 1200-1500. colin p. wasn't even on the bench. maybe kerr is saving for friday night v. croatia. should be a big crowd on friday in cobh as the winner will go through to the next stage.
btw croatia beat latvia 4-1 today

Gunthers Mask
09/11/2001, 7:56 PM
Kerr should have played CP in the cross mattch I mean it is his own home ground and surely CP would be used to the pitch and its humble surroundings!!

ccfcman
15/11/2001, 1:57 PM
ireland u21 -v- denmarku21 some time in march the 1st match at the cross under floodlights.CONFIRMED

ccfcman
15/11/2001, 1:58 PM
Humble nicely PUT!!!!!