PDA

View Full Version : Wifi hijacking?

Magicme
23/02/2011, 12:51 AM
Is it possible that the wifi in my parents house has been hijacked by Americans? Today My mobile phone keeps telling me I'm in Ann Arbour, Michigan when am at their house and it even showed me where on a map I am. Now am not the smartest person but even I know I am in fact in bed on the basement, in Monaghan. Weird.

BTW its 20.53, -11 degrees and partly cloudy here in Ann Arbor.

theworm2345
23/02/2011, 3:14 AM
Is it possible that the wifi in my parents house has been hijacked by Americans? Today My mobile phone keeps telling me I'm in Ann Arbour, Michigan when am at their house and it even showed me where on a map I am. Now am not the smartest person but even I know I am in fact in bed on the basement, in Monaghan. Weird.

BTW its 20.53, -11 degrees and partly cloudy here in Ann Arbor.
Most phones don't use internet connections to determine time and place as most of the time you aren't on a connection. Instead, I believe they use cell towers or maybe GPS/Satellites. Hijacking or piggybacking usually only occurs within a couple hundred meters of that router. In fact, it seems more likely that you the one piggybacking off someone in Ann Arbor :p. I'm not 100% sure though I'm sure someone else (maybe tets) would know more about it than I. I do know two people who go to school in Ann Arbor and could ask them to investigate it for you ;).

P.S. If you want to see where the internet connection you are on is actually located, go to this site (http://www.ip-adress.com/).

P.P.S. We don't have a u in Arbor and we use a 12 hour clock and Fahrenheit here, thank you very much ;)

Magicme
23/02/2011, 8:22 AM
I have both the gprs and wireless switched on on my phone. Checked ip and it said mulligar, but my phone still thinks its state side. Tell your mates I am beside forest hill cemetery! I knew the spelling just predictive on my phone put the u in and I didn't check it over. As for temp and 24hour clock, just going by my phones info. It is now 4.21am and positively balmy at -1! :-)

tetsujin1979
23/02/2011, 9:02 AM
never heard of anything like this actually! I know most smart phones can use a wi-fi or 3G signal to guess where they are, if GPS is not available. Mine is usually in the right area, but I've never heard of one getting the wrong country before.

Only thing I can think of off the top of my head is that there's some setting on the router in the house that has been changed to US? Sounds logical, especially if the mobile signal is giving the correct locale?

Dodge
23/02/2011, 9:21 AM
Is a network issue? IN Longford on Friday 2 people I was with both had their clock automatically changed (+1 hour) and both got messages from vodafone saying they were now roaming.

Magicme
23/02/2011, 9:25 AM
There is next to no mobile signal at my parents and it moves from Ireland to UK in a flash. It is really strange. Will mess with modem when I get back from Monaghan. God I'm some time traveller!

awec
23/02/2011, 12:05 PM
The short answer is no.

Magicme
23/02/2011, 11:21 PM
Ok so if its not wifi hijacking or time travel....any suggestions awec?

paul_oshea
24/02/2011, 1:11 PM
Is a network issue? IN Longford on Friday 2 people I was with both had their clock automatically changed (+1 hour) and both got messages from vodafone saying they were now roaming.

It is all a bit bandit and foreign out there. Thats not surprising really.

I know what the answer is. But I'm not able to say at the moment.