PDA

View Full Version : Club in trouble - a good news story!

Pages : [1] 2

WoodquayBoy
17/02/2011, 9:07 AM
Front page story on Indo sport today that Tallaght-based GAA club Thomas Davis are €2million in debt and is "no longer in a position to meet its on-going financial commitments".
Would their bigoted campaign against Shamrock Rovers moving to the Tallaght Stadium have cost them a lot of money? If so, the chickens have come home to roost
http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/top-dublin-club-in-financial-peril-2544477.html

pineapple stu
17/02/2011, 9:10 AM
More evidence of the way soccer is callously destroying our great national game.

John83
17/02/2011, 9:12 AM
Tell it to the potato.
http://transitionculture.org/wp-content/uploads/potato.jpg

Spudulika
17/02/2011, 9:13 AM
Was waiting for a Rovers fan to post this. Is it any surprise we're in the state we are?

BonnieShels
17/02/2011, 9:19 AM
As a gaa supporter its hard to feel sorry for them. I didn't agree with what went on and I have to say though the way hq are letting them dangle is a bit unfair considering they backed them to the hilt.
Anyway, even high I hated them and round towers as a kid when we played them I hope they can make it through. Maybe Rovers could lend them a hand?

WoodquayBoy
17/02/2011, 9:23 AM
Was waiting for a Rovers fan to post this. Is it any surprise we're in the state we are?

I'd like to claim I am a better man than to revel in the discomfort of a GAA club. But I'd be lying. An organisation that has a history of bigotry, racism and sectarianism which continues to propogate the lie that it is an amatuer organisation featuring amateur players, yet has county managers being paid 'expenses' that would come close to covering the monthly wage bill for a squad of 20 players at a lot of LOI clubs. Not that I'm bitter or anything.

corkharps
17/02/2011, 9:24 AM
'Rovers offer to help Tos Davis gah club'. Nice headline, that would really sicken a few diehards!

John83
17/02/2011, 9:24 AM
Maybe Rovers could lend them a hand?
That'd be one classy bit of revenge.

Dodge
17/02/2011, 9:27 AM
Was waiting for a Rovers fan to post this.

They're too busy being treated in tallaght hospital for split sides.

Rightly so. Every LOI fan should at least have a smile reading that story.

Spudulika
17/02/2011, 9:29 AM
I'd like to claim I am a better man than to revel in the discomfort of a GAA club. But I'd be lying. An organisation that has a history of bigotry, racism and sectarianism which continues to propogate the lie that it is an amatuer organisation featuring amateur players, yet has county managers being paid 'expenses' that would come close to covering the monthly wage bill for a squad of 20 players at a lot of LOI clubs. Not that I'm bitter or anything.

Is there an organisation that hasn't a history of what you've rightly stated? From a practical point of view the GAA is an efficient outfit that can, in some senses, be borrowed from to push football on, however Ireland cannot do this as it's outside of our mentality to do so. I count myself in this, I was against opening up Croke Park on the arguments offered by the FAI, Dublin Chamber of Commerce etc, I also admire the GAA for how intelligently they have conducted themselves, though I am disillusioned with their performance in developing hurling. As with any sporting club in Ireland, we can ill afford any to collapse, especially Davis who have given a heck of a lot to the Tallaght area.

Jicked
17/02/2011, 9:32 AM
Shamrock Rovers - "Last Man Standing"

Dodge
17/02/2011, 9:33 AM
As with any sporting club in Ireland, we can ill afford any to collapse, especially Davis who have given a heck of a lot to the Tallaght area.

So, from your Fingal dying will kill the league analogy, if TD will the Dublin county championship die too?

WoodquayBoy
17/02/2011, 9:35 AM
Well, the soccer world for a sta . . . oh. Fair enough, they might have done a lot in the are, but I am not a GAA fan, never have been, never will be, and that story gave me a smile on a week that has been short of reasons to be cheerful for me as a Galway United fan

Spudulika
17/02/2011, 9:38 AM
So, from your Fingal dying will kill the league analogy, if TD will the Dublin county championship die too?

Don't misquote or misrepresent Dodge, when did I say Fingal dying would kill the league, not once. Clubs in Ireland have disappeared and we limp on, it just makes life a little more difficult as it's a completely commercial enterprise for the most part. Clubs have disappeared in the GAA or merged, it goes on, it's community based and a club will spring up in it's place. If you want to wum do it to a Rovers fan, they've a reason to be happy, though what goes around.....(as it has in this case).

Mr A
17/02/2011, 9:39 AM
Saw this headline this morning and had a chuckle to myself. Don't like to see sports clubs in trouble, but if anyone deserves us its those hoorbags.

Slap it right up them.

Mario
17/02/2011, 10:21 AM
These bigots spent years and 100s of 1000s or Euro fighting tooth and nail stop Rovers / loi soccer getting to Tallaght.

Their clubhouse and facilities are way over the top and any time I drive past the car park is largely empty and their all weather training pitch also empty.

Absolutely delighted for them! Fully deserved!!

Macy
17/02/2011, 10:38 AM
yet has county managers being paid 'expenses' that would come close to covering the monthly wage bill for a squad of 20 players at a lot of LOI clubs. Not that I'm bitter or anything.
No sign of the Revenue ever investigating the expense regime in the GAA as it did the LoI either. And whatever about anything else, I'm pretty bloody bitter about double standards on such important matters from arms of the State, especially now given the State's financial situation.

On Thomas Davis, I really hope that it's legal costs from the challenges to Tallaght that has tipped them over the financial edge. Serves them right.

marinobohs
17/02/2011, 10:39 AM
'Rovers offer to help Tos Davis gah club'. Nice headline, that would really sicken a few diehards!

Wonder how much they would have saved had they avoided thier spitefull campaign against shams/Tallaght stadium ? :confused:
Really, really love the idea of shams offering a fund raising match/ function to help "bail" them out. Watching them squirm while trying to wriggle out of it (I remember the RDS fiasco) would be priceless.

Come on Hoops, do it for every LOI fan :cool:

Jicked
17/02/2011, 10:50 AM
I propose a fundraising Shamrock Rovers bake sale so that the people of Tallaght really can "feast on a diet of association football"

marinobohs
17/02/2011, 10:53 AM
I propose a fundraising Shamrock Rovers bake sale so that the people of Tallaght really can "feast on a diet of association football"

............I believe John Delaney does very good fudge :o

avvenalaf
17/02/2011, 11:52 AM
Well, the soccer world for a sta . . . oh. Fair enough, they might have done a lot in the are, but I am not a GAA fan, never have been, never will be, and that story gave me a smile on a week that has been short of reasons to be cheerful for me as a Galway United fan

If the only bright spot in a Galway United supporter's week is the misfortune of others, you don't have much to look forward to this season.

cornflakes
17/02/2011, 11:55 AM
found this old thread on boards, kinda interesting
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055007042

It would be fantastic to see this stadium finished, it is a shame to see it just sitting there being wasted. I hope that either between them or individually rovers get it sorted. The GAA clubs will bring immence funding as clubs always manage to raise amazing ammounts of money, Davis' is a case in point

How the tables have turned

WoodquayBoy
17/02/2011, 1:56 PM
If the only bright spot in a Galway United supporter's week is the misfortune of others, you don't have much to look forward to this season.

That's my point - right now, as things stand, I have very little to look forward to in relation to the 2011 season. And not necessarily the misfortune of others, just of the G**

Big Chief
17/02/2011, 2:34 PM
As a paid up and indeed playing (albeit badly) member of the G.A.A. in Tyrone and a Finn Harps fan I can see both sides of the argument on this one. I think it's always disappointing when a sports club which is providing a health and entertainment outlet for the local community folds.

I have to admit there are a number of hardliners within the G.A.A. who view soccer as an ever present danger which must be stamped out in all it's forms. I, on the other hand, feel that both sports should be able to co-exist. Soccer for it's part could learn a lot from the G.A.A. in terms of volunteerism and fundraising capacity through close community ties.

Mr A
17/02/2011, 2:36 PM
Sure all our clubs are based on volunteers.

Big Chief
17/02/2011, 2:42 PM
Sure all our clubs are based on volunteers.

Yes but proportionately the G.A.A. are capable of mobilising much greater numbers.

dfx-
17/02/2011, 2:48 PM
At last, I can agree that Thomas Davis should just keep on doing whatever they are doing right now... :cool2:

legendz
17/02/2011, 2:57 PM
Sunderland reported a £27m loss yesterday and this GAA club reporting losses now as well. At least attention is being deflected from the LoI woes.

WoodquayBoy
17/02/2011, 2:58 PM
Yes but proportionately the G.A.A. are capable of mobilising much greater numbers.

Yes but proportionately the GAA has a bigger membership, hence the ability to mobilise greater numbers

Mr A
17/02/2011, 3:11 PM
Plus what they pay tends to be under the table, so they maintain this moral veneer as a volunteer organisation when quite a lot of people are doing quite well out of it.

Rasputin
17/02/2011, 3:19 PM
Wonder how much they would have saved had they avoided thier spitefull campaign against shams/Tallaght stadium ? :confused:
Really, really love the idea of shams offering a fund raising match/ function to help "bail" them out. Watching them squirm while trying to wriggle out of it (I remember the RDS fiasco) would be priceless.

Come on Hoops, do it for every LOI fan :cool:
I second this, dooooo it Shams.

Spudulika
17/02/2011, 4:34 PM
Plus what they pay tends to be under the table, so they maintain this moral veneer as a volunteer organisation when quite a lot of people are doing quite well out of it.

Of course such things as paying under the table of biscuit tins in ticket offices don't exist in the LOI ;-) But at least you're right, the LOI doesn't bother with the moral veneer, only moral outrage :-)

WoodquayBoy
17/02/2011, 4:52 PM
Of course such things as paying under the table of biscuit tins in ticket offices don't exist in the LOI ;-) But at least you're right, the LOI doesn't bother with the moral veneer, only moral outrage :-)

Well, at least it has some morals, be they veneered or outraged!

Big Chief
17/02/2011, 5:00 PM
Yes but proportionately the GAA has a bigger membership, hence the ability to mobilise greater numbers

You are quite right when you point out that the G.A.A. has a bigger membership but ultimately nobody (that I know of at least) has ever been forced at gunpoint to become a member of the G.A.A. yet they choose to do so whereas very few people choose to become involved with supporting, financially assisting or volunteering for League of Ireland teams.

Can the League of Ireland clubs genuinely afford to bury their heads in the sand and fail to learn any lessons or pick up any tips from the G.A.A.?

John83
17/02/2011, 5:13 PM
Can the League of Ireland clubs genuinely afford to bury their heads in the sand and fail to learn any lessons or pick up any tips from the G.A.A.?
You're right. The key to LoI success is to invent a time machine, kill Michael Cusack and assorted others, and somehow associate association football with Irish nationalism and parochialism by playing up its Irish roots (ignoring the fact that the rules of the assorted ball games of the Irish are not documented), fundraising for the IRA and establishing one and only one club in each parish. I'll just email Fran Gavin now.

sixesandsevens
17/02/2011, 5:16 PM
I'm sure those cute hoors in the GAA will spin this story as proof that "soccer" is destroying "our great national game"

Big Chief
17/02/2011, 5:20 PM
You're right. The key to LoI success is to invent a time machine, kill Michael Cusack and assorted others, and somehow associate association football with Irish nationalism and parochialism by playing up its Irish roots (ignoring the fact that the rules of the assorted ball games of the Irish are not documented), fundraising for the IRA and establishing one and only one club in each parish. I'll just email Fran Gavin now.

I would save as for the fact that the effect bit of a few outside the box ideas and some fresh thinking may actually kill him! Come to think of it perhaps he could become a martyr for the cause off the back of it!!!

John83
17/02/2011, 5:35 PM
I would save as for the fact that the effect bit of a few outside the box ideas and some fresh thinking may actually kill him! Come to think of it perhaps he could become a martyr for the cause off the back of it!!!
We could always drop his corpse on Cusack from a great height. It might be taken as a sign that his ideas were ill-omened and an affront to God.

Mr A
17/02/2011, 6:17 PM
Not comparing like with like there.. if you added all the volunteers from across the football family rather than just the LOI I'd say there would not be that much of a gap.

legendz
17/02/2011, 6:24 PM
The GAA have their own problems. They don't promote the National Leagues well. A lot of discussion goes on lamenting the Championship structure. Clubs get to play few games in the summer because of inter-county action. The LoI is capable of holding it's own ground, if the majority of clubs can get their houses in order.

Doll
17/02/2011, 7:53 PM
I normally wouldn't wish ill of anyone but this crowd deserve all they get. I'm not a GAA supporter, as you might have gathered, but friends who are ALL know that the GAA is totally hypocritical with regards to payments to players and in particular managers.

I have no problem with any sport 'defending their corner' or promoting their sport but trying, at great expense, to prevent another club from having decent facilities is just being vindictive.

I would guarantee though that there isn't a bank in the country that would close down a GAA club!!

bluewhitearmy
17/02/2011, 8:00 PM
The GAA have their own problems. They don't promote the National Leagues well. A lot of discussion goes on lamenting the Championship structure. Clubs get to play few games in the summer because of inter-county action. The LoI is capable of holding it's own ground, if the majority of clubs can get their houses in order.

You really wanted to say A Championship didnt ya :p

Rasputin
18/02/2011, 12:12 AM
yet they choose to do so whereas very few people choose to become involved with supporting, financially assisting or volunteering for League of Ireland teams.
What?

LOI_Fanatic
18/02/2011, 12:47 AM
Delighted for the horrible *****!

Karma is great :D

Big Chief
18/02/2011, 8:03 AM
Was my post unclear? If so please detail the reasons why and I will seek to address them.

gustavo
18/02/2011, 8:09 AM
Funny bit of ad selection :)

http://i52.tinypic.com/2vimvzp.jpg

legendz
18/02/2011, 8:27 AM

:D It is alright. The only bit of promotion they've done and it comes up right next to my post!

Macy
18/02/2011, 8:29 AM
I have to admit there are a number of hardliners within the G.A.A. who view soccer as an ever present danger which must be stamped out in all it's forms. I, on the other hand, feel that both sports should be able to co-exist. Soccer for it's part could learn a lot from the G.A.A. in terms of volunteerism and fundraising capacity through close community ties.
Every sport, in every country, relies on volunteers and fundraising. The GAA are nothing special in that regard. All sports should and can get on - ironically in other countries the GAA relies on using other sports facilities, but in their own country they insist on a bigoted ban on "foreign games" in their grounds.

Straightstory
18/02/2011, 8:37 AM
Excellent news. Hope they go under as quickly as possible. Good riddance.

Eminence Grise
18/02/2011, 8:57 AM

Anybody else think that Dubs ad makes it look like Jedward are playing for them?