PDA

View Full Version : Waterford United 1-1 Cork City

tiktok
28/05/2004, 8:25 PM
Willie Byrne claiming a little payback on the club that released him at the end of last season, equalising with a header from a corner on the stroke of half time to cancel out an excellent Vinnie Sullivan strike six minutes earlier.

A good away point I guess, initial reports suggest we were lucky to get it, that waterford really piled on the pressure second half. The line-up was

Devine
Greg Byrne Bennett Murphy
Woods George Colin(C) Nwankwo
Fenn O'Flynn

Sweeney came on for Fenn (who got the Judas treatment from the Bla's) leaving George and Flynn up front although apparently the latter isn't back to full match fitness yet and faded. But from the line-up I guess the big question of the might was where Dan Murray got to, there was no announcements made about injury and he wasn't even in the squad, light-shedding would be appreciated.

Just to note, Alan Carey is meant to have played well for Waterford after a shaky start.

other games tonight:
3-1 to Pat's -v- Continuity Home Farm
0-0 Bohs -v- $H€L$

so at least no ground lost.

sullanefc
28/05/2004, 8:54 PM
I suppose its a good away point considering that they are a good side. But its just so frustrating that we can't beat the l@ngers!! 6 games I think.

St Pats 3 - 1 TCFKAHF
Shels 0 - 0 Bohs

Both Full time now.

ConfusedBlue
28/05/2004, 9:19 PM
From a Waterford point of view,I have to say Cork were extremely lucky to get away with a point.Vinny Sullivan had at least 2 free headers he should of scored from and Daryll Murphy had a couple of decent chances.Cork were poor IMO especially Fenn(JUDAS) up front and looked shaky at the back.Both teams had penalty claims turned down so evened itself out.Overall Waterford probably shaded it in what was a fairly scrappy encounter.

Fair play to the travelling support ye did yourselves proud,possibly the loudest away fans in the RSC in a long while.

P.S. Ye must be getting fairly sick of the sight of the undefeated Blues in a Munster derby.Must be 7 games+ at this stage!!!!!!!!
:confused:

eoinh
28/05/2004, 10:47 PM
what a crappy match i have to say. nobody (on either side) played well. waterford probably shaded it but we could have had a penalty. :(

Got Paul Mcgraths autograph!

Counting Crow
28/05/2004, 11:53 PM
Just back also. Some of my thoughts on the game.

- Thought Danny Murphy was awsome - hard as steel and what a heart.
- Great goal from Waterford - couldn't fault Devine but Fenn did loose posession and made no attempt to win it back ( unfortunately this is becoming a common occurance and people are loosing patience with him.
- Devine played well and made some very important saves ( particularly from that deflection in the 2nd half )
- George played well and got stuck in
- Pitch was crap - very bumpy
- Thought there was a handball leading up to our goal. How sweet that was.
- Cockney Rebel having a pop off some W'Ford lang£r going down the tunnel at half time - LEGEND
- Definate spotter - Ref ( who was appalling - look nervous ) kept making the "easy decisions" i.e. free outs etc
- When Flynny was brought down near the end there should have been a RED card and a free but naw........"play on" for f**k sake!
- Dan Connor was terrible - bricking it - heard W'Ford fans in jacks at H/Time moaning about him
- Byrne very shakey at center back ( good goal though ) - where was Dan???
- Greg did well - gutsy
- Nawankwo did well - got kicked a lot
- Flynny looks so unfit ( or is still carrying an injury ) was out of it tonight - way off the form of lasst year
- Colin T battled well
- Overall a draw was a fair result ( W/Ford missed a sitter near the end but headed over from 5 yards )
- Woodsie did well.
- Fenn got a lot of stick tonight from both sets of supporters unfortunately. Obviously has loads of skill but is really slow and seems to pull out of tackles etc. City fans expect more and he will need to start doing something special now to win back their support. Tough on the guy.

- The real heroes, though, were ..............us. What a travelling army. Massive away support. I'd say 1/3 of the crowd was in green. The colour was amazing. Nearly everyone had some City gear on ( jersey, hat, scarf, jacket flag etc ) The guy on the gate said they love us coming down as it's by far the biggest pay day for them each year. Even the W/Ford fans were impressed - totally outsung the Blues despite Homer, Batman and Co Co the clown trying to get them going - God how they missed theose 6 girls from the last match downthere.

- Lang£rs of the night were the ZZ Top stewards. Demanding that the kids and women at the front of the stand move on and when they refused ( in front of everyone ) they had to walk back up the steps.

Fair play to the older cop for letting the lads back up the steps to the top of the stand ( after a younger cop tried to getthem to leave the stand altogether ) - sensible - fair play.

For those of not at it that should give you a flavour as to how the game went.

Roll on SPA next week in a proper ground.

the 12 th man
29/05/2004, 7:30 AM
with a beach ball, it would go into the Waterford section .Howevr when this little cnut got it. He bit it and took a chunk out of it and through it back at us..

look ,if the lad was hungry you cant blame him can yeh? :D

thecorner
29/05/2004, 8:32 AM
- Lang£rs of the night were the ZZ Top stewards. Demand

haha, ud think that they would be used ti the loud drums

chant of the night has to be

big ears give us a wave :)

Counting Crow
29/05/2004, 9:19 AM
One other thing I forgot to mention was ............ we hung around after the game outside the ground.

Thought yer man Doran was going to give a concert accross the road ;) but he never showed up.............have you ever seen so many Mercedes vans in one place?

Funniest song was "We should have sent the Lang£r song" .........v/funny :D

Oh, and how about the cop on the bicycle.......... :rolleyes: Saw him lecturing a group of kids about where they were standing .....and they were in knots laughing at his helmet.

eoinh
29/05/2004, 9:29 AM
I thought it was funny when Batman came over to in front of the city section.

There for a small bit until Homer came over to him and obviously had "a word with him".

patsh
29/05/2004, 9:29 AM
Fenn was poor again but imo, our worst player tonight was JOF...clearly not fit. Fenn is becoming the scapecoat and although he isn't playing well, people are ready to jump down his throat when he makes a mistake.

Scapegoat?
The guy makes NO attempt at all to get into the game. Look at the difference between him and WIllie Byrne last night. Byrne played his heart out, got stuck in and made sure he got to the ball to head it in.
Fenn has more skill in his left toe, yet what was his contribution last night?
He set up WATERFORD'S goal...... :mad:
Either his attitude changes and contributes to the team or he should be told to p*ss off.
Flynnie was shocking last night all right.

More worrying is where was Dan?.. :eek:

adamcarr
29/05/2004, 11:17 AM
big ears give us a wave :)

:D :D :D

Real ale Madrid
29/05/2004, 12:06 PM
Colin T O'Brien said on the radio on the way home last night that Murray came down with a bug overnight and did not travel.

I thought the game was absolutely terrible.

One thing that really is annoying me is the central midfield problem continually is being overlooked. The problem last night is that neither Georgie or Colin T are natural midfield players so they only play well for 15-20 minutes per game last night i thought we were completly overrun in the midfield in the second half. Georgie was absolutly rubbish in there in the second half the amount of times he pulled out of tackles was quite frankly incredible. He has a problem with aggression in my opinion he matches aggression with petulance - now i will agree that he gets kicked around a bit and that Waterford are a tremendously physical outfit but he was not able to mix it at all in there. Colin T O'brien has got some great press lately but for the life of me i cannot understand it he has very little positional sense at all - the impression i get from him is that he is trying his best but for long spells cannot get near the ball. When he does get involved he is very effective same as george but anyone who knows the game knows that your central midfield players have to be involved from first whistle until last otherwise you are vunerable.

The asnwer in my opinion is to give Brendan Sweeney a consistant run in the team you could see his natural positional sense when he came on he knows when to look for a ball from from his centre halfs, when to make a run forward but above all else he can show agression in the middle of the park when required - he is however a bit inexperienced and needs plently games under his belt. I know i'm going to get slated for having a go at George but nobody is above critcism.

Having said all that i thought the support we brought was amazing and there was nearly as many city fans there as waherfur fans.

Great result as well considering the chances they missed in the second half.

SÓC
29/05/2004, 12:47 PM
...thought the Ref last night was shocking, for both sides. He gave frees when there were none and missed some blatant fouls.
Nwankwo was taken out of it in the box, peno.
Greg handled in our box in the first half, peno.
Flynny taken out of it by a Bla centre back, red card but none of these fairly clear offences were given?! Georgie got booked for a bad tackle, a few minutes later Carey did even worse to Fenn but no card?

Great turn out from the Rebel Army. When we scored most of the people around the ground, not in the stands were cheering. 500/600 city fans there?

For the match itself draw was fair in the end. Though Greg was poor-ish, Fenn needs to be dropped but some of the abuse he got from his own fans was shocking and disgraceful.

That match showed we need Doyler, Hoggie and perhaps a central midfielder in our side if we are to progress

Counting Crow
29/05/2004, 1:12 PM
Totally disagree with you Real ale Madrid.
Think Colin T has been excellent recently and as for George last night - well I think the guy put in tons of effort along with his obvious skill.
One incident summed his performance up for me last night. He had to stop to tie his laces as the game went on around him. Once he was done he ran the full length across the pitch, got in a tackle and won a throw in.

There is a lesson there for others................!!!!!!!

Do agree though that Sweeney deserves a run. He is tough and will take care of himself - bit like Murphy.

Real ale Madrid
29/05/2004, 4:31 PM
Totally disagree with you Real ale Madrid.
Think Colin T has been excellent recently and as for George last night - well I think the guy put in tons of effort along with his obvious skill.
One incident summed his performance up for me last night. He had to stop to tie his laces as the game went on around him. Once he was done he ran the full length across the pitch, got in a tackle and won a throw in.

There is a lesson there for others................!!!!!!!

Do agree though that Sweeney deserves a run. He is tough and will take care of himself - bit like Murphy.

I'm not really slating the two guys as players - just saying that Colin T and Georgie dont get involved for all the game because thay are not natural midfield players. I mean the incident you picked out stood out for you but a genuine midfield player would do that 10-15 times during a game. And i'm not slating thier effort either cos all City players gave 100%. (Fenn aside but i dont even want to start on him) Its just for a half an hour after half time they walked through us with thier direct play. Effective midfielders would never let this sort of thing happen and its a hole that needs to be plugged asap before we fall too far behind $hel$.

bert
29/05/2004, 5:49 PM
I think referees have got to be told to clamp down and protect ball players. Waterford were a disgrace last night. Pulling and dragging and hanging off players.

No wonder Georgie's gonna start mouthing, any number of them could have been put off for persistent cynical fouling.