PDA

View Full Version : Incentives for volunteers etc

MariborKev
15/02/2011, 10:21 AM
On the Derry message board we are having the know annual conversation about ways to increase attendances and the general- "Should the club employ someone, or should it rely on volunteers" debate.

That got me thinking, in a more general sense, does you club offer any reward etc for helping out on match day/during the week etc?

- Free Season Tickets
- Invite to Club function for volunteers
- Memento, gift for your help
- AN Other?

micls
15/02/2011, 10:52 AM
Our volunteers don't get free tickets but can avail of a concession ticket. There is a volunteer's night, with drink etc afaik.

Not much else, but then again a lot of our volunteers own the club, so see it as a responsibility as much as anything. They are fantastic though.

I know something we try to do is have a database of volunteers with enough people so it doesn't have to be the same people doing it every game. The list shinks as the season goes on but it's a good idea in theory.

Dodge
15/02/2011, 11:04 AM
Pats have an end of season volunteer night. In the past they've handed out mementos too

As micls said you find that volunteers are often some of the most committed fans so many already have season tickets etc and literally just want to give their time to the club.

peadar1987
15/02/2011, 12:15 PM
If you're employing someone, one idea might be to get him or her sponsored, and in lieu of volunteering their time, or skills, people could give some money towards the salary. At least that way you'd be getting a qualified person, and it hopefully wouldn't eat into the normal budget of the team.

passerrby
15/02/2011, 12:44 PM
mondogs and harp.....but if we get promoted it will be mondogs only as we have to keep the harp for our local rivals

osarusan
15/02/2011, 1:27 PM
I've done a bit of work at times during games and at other times. I got a ticket to the South Africa game, and a few vouchers for free pints on a few occasions.

As Dodge said, a lot of volunteers are really committed fans, some even giving up watching some or all of the game to help the club out.

EDIT: I believe a few of our stewards/security volunteer to get some experience they can put on their CV.

pineapple stu
15/02/2011, 1:34 PM
Anyone working at a UCD game gets free in. Nothing above and beyond that though. We don't really go out of our way looking for volunteers though; maybe a formal package would be an incentive to get a few more helping out (the comments about the dedicated fans simply wanting to help out aside obviously)

Martinho II
15/02/2011, 2:08 PM
I myself volunteer to sell the town lotto in pubs at least once a month.. But I got my rewards as I volunteered to do it two weeks in a row as someone couldnt do it. Two nights in a row last week executive members couldnt go to the matches in the Aviva stadium and I got access to the free tickets so its well worth helpin out.

thischarmingman
15/02/2011, 2:29 PM
The warm fuzzy feeling inside.

Actually, that could just be the asbestos from some of our more run down parts.

Ezeikial
16/02/2011, 10:08 AM
I myself volunteer to sell the town lotto in pubs at least once a month..

The Dundalk lotto and Raffle tickets have a bonus/commission element built in. Each season ticket buyer this season got a book of tickets for a Champions League draw - 12 tickets at €5 each with €50 to be returned. This gives the individual the option of returning the €60, taking the 2 bonus tickets themselves, or pocketing the €10 as commission.

Similar story with the lotto - this gives fans who are not so committed as others an extra motivation

Spudulika
16/02/2011, 11:10 AM
Anyone working at a UCD game gets free in. Nothing above and beyond that though. We don't really go out of our way looking for volunteers though; maybe a formal package would be an incentive to get a few more helping out (the comments about the dedicated fans simply wanting to help out aside obviously)

Don't forget the chance for tea/coffee, sandwiches and biscuits in the Executive Lounge! (Best ham sandwiches in the league)