PDA

View Full Version : Team to face Cyrprus on September 4th?

tarzan_bray
28/05/2004, 12:36 PM
Depending on fitness and succesful operations (Duffer)

Given

Finnan O'Brien Cunningham O'Shea

Miller Kilbane Roy Keane Duff

Robbie Keane Morrison

Subs
Colgan
Carr
Doherty
Dunne
Andy Reid
Holland
Lee

PaulB
28/05/2004, 12:46 PM
Depending on fitness and succesful operations (Duffer)

Given

Robbie Keane Morrison

Subs
Colgan
Carr
Doherty
Dunne
Andy Reid
Holland
Lee

Put Carr in for Finnan, Reid on the left and Duff up front. Morrison is worse then useless.

tiktok
28/05/2004, 12:48 PM
Finnan did nothing last night (or all season) to make me believe he's a better option than Carr.
Carr for Finnan and I think that's our starting XI

Slash/ED
28/05/2004, 1:13 PM
Morrison Keane

Duff Miller Keane Reid

O'Shea Cunningham O'Brien Carr

Given

Though Breen could easily slot in instead of O'Brien, O'Briens recent preformances finally look like cementing him a starting place for us. I'd like to see Finnan tried at left back but we probably wont get to see that any time soon. Too early really for someone like McGeady to be in contenion for a starting place.

tarzan_bray
28/05/2004, 1:23 PM
Put Carr in for Finnan, Reid on the left and Duff up front. Morrison is worse then useless.

I believe we will see better performances from Finnan under a new manager at Liverpool, Houllier had a strange effect on good players..look at Kewell!

Duff is best out left and wasted upfront in my opinion, Morrison holds the ball up well and as long as Robbie is scoring that's all that counts

gustavo
28/05/2004, 1:32 PM
all fit my team is
gk given
lb o shea
rb carr
cb cunny kenningham
cb o brien
lw kilbane
rw m holland
cm miller
cm roy keane
fw robbie keane
fw duff

colster
28/05/2004, 1:39 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing this side given a run.

Given

Carr Cunningham O'Brien O'Shea

Keane

Miller A.Reid Duff

Keane Morrisson

Slash/ED
28/05/2004, 2:02 PM
all fit my team is
gk given
lb o shea
rb carr
cb cunny kenningham
cb o brien
lw kilbane
rw m holland
cm miller
cm roy keane
fw robbie keane
fw duff

Duff and Keane up front just doesn't work. It never has and it never will.

only1kilbane
28/05/2004, 2:21 PM
[/QUOTE]Given

Robbie Keane Morrison [QUOTE]

Same as above but with carr at right back and either holland or andy reid on right mid depending on the game !

someone help me with them stupid quotes cant put them in proper at all !

tetsujin1979
28/05/2004, 2:22 PM
reckon it'll be a bit more attacking-minded myself, which would suit finnan more than carr. Might even see Harte start instead of O'Shea - with him to come back in for the Swiss game

eirebhoy
28/05/2004, 4:26 PM
Given

Miller Keane Kavanagh Duff

A.Reid
Keane

People say Keane can't play up front on his own, how will we know if we don't try? Anyway, Reid used to play up front for Ireland at underage level so he would play very well in behind Keane. Keane will be getting a lot of supply. I don't think there is any point in playing Morrison, he is literally taking up a valuable place in the team.

Slash/ED
28/05/2004, 4:29 PM
You don't need to try Keane up front on his own to know it wont work.

His style is all about dropping deep and linking up with people, runnng at people, most of the time he's pratically an attack minded mid fielder rather than a striker. If we put him up front on his own we'll basically have no out and out striker, no outlet, nobody in the box. It simply wouldn't work. It's not his style.

eirebhoy
28/05/2004, 6:01 PM
I've seen it work with Larsson.

Condex
28/05/2004, 6:37 PM
Given

A.Reid
Keane

Where does this man get Kavanagh from(your cousin perhaps), a very average Div1 player, who will be lucky to be in the squad.

Slash/ED
28/05/2004, 10:31 PM
I've seen it work with Larsson.

Larsson is an out and out goal scorer, an in the box man. Robbie Keane is not.

tricky_colour
29/05/2004, 12:25 AM
Given

A.Reid
Keane

People say Keane can't play up front on his own, how will we know if we don't try? Anyway, Reid used to play up front for Ireland at underage level so he would play very well in behind Keane. Keane will be getting a lot of supply. I don't think there is any point in playing Morrison, he is literally taking up a valuable place in the team.

A Reid scored 13 goals for Forest last season, 1 less then Robbies 14,
and Reid mainly played on the wing.
Incidently Morrison scored *4* for Birmingham, granted Morrison provide
and excellent cross for Hollands goal but if you are going to count asssists
I think Reid would win hand down by a mile.

Trouble is Reid and Keane leaves you with no big man up front but
I wonder how many of Morrisons 4 goals were headers?

I also remember Reid providing a useful assisit with his head despite his
lack of height (Similar to Quinns for Robbie V Germany).

It is certaintly a combination worth trying, Morrison was only effective
when he has on the right wing!! (Now that would be a radical move!).

Apparently there will be a few unfamiliar name in the side v Nigeria
tomorrow, I have written my 3-0 win bet off already!, no Duff, Keane
or O'Shea and Nigeria won 2:1 the last time we played.

Nigeria are also storming up the world rankings and are up about 19
on the year to a place or two below us, still you never know!

brine2
29/05/2004, 8:58 AM
Given

Carr - Cunningham - O'Shea - Finnan

Miller - S Reid - Keane - A Reid - Duff

Keane

carnstien
29/05/2004, 1:42 PM
You should be shot for playing duff up front, he is a rubbish striker but is the best left sided midfielder in the world.

It would make far more sence to play Ried up front than Duff.

Morrison is not great but is the best we have.

Given

Carr
O'Brien
Cunningham
O'Shea

Finnan
Miller
Keane
Duff

Keane
Morrison

Subs: Ried, Holland, Kilbane, Harte, Colgan.

eirebhoy
29/05/2004, 4:53 PM
Where does this man get Kavanagh from(your cousin perhaps), a very average Div1 player, who will be lucky to be in the squad.
Don't comment on a player you havge obviously not seen on more than a couple of occasions. I'll be repeating what I said to so many people when i say the following.
+ He is the captain of his club which shows he has the determination, experience and aggression needed in a midfield player.
+ He also has premiership experience with 10 games for Middlesborough at the tender age of 19 but unfortunately injury didn't help his cause. He made 50 appearances for Boro in total.
+ He was a million pound transfer from Stoke to Cardiff which says a lot for a then second division club.
+ He was in the division 2 team of the year for 2 successive seasons and his first month in division 1 he got player of the month. Nothing special but he had to earn it.
+ He has scored 7 goals in 27 games this season.

I don't know what to think of some people on this site. He was being hailed by many as our MOM against the Czech's and when he gets injured he's suddenly forgotten.

Larsson is an out and out goal scorer, an in the box man. Robbie Keane is not.
Slash/ED, I am a Celtic supporter and I can tell you that Larsson is anything but an in the box man. He plays out wide for a lot of the match and often comes back to help the midfield. Maybe Henry would be a better example as I'm sure you've seen him play.

Apparently there will be a few unfamiliar name in the side v Nigeria tomorrow, I have written my 3-0 win bet off already!, no Duff, Keane
or O'Shea and Nigeria won 2:1 the last time we played.
I hope you put that on. ;)

tricky_colour
29/05/2004, 5:02 PM
I hope you put that on. ;)

I did put it on but it waws for Ireland to win 3:0 I think, (I need to
find the slip to be sure) I think I threw it away last night.
I thought we would struggle for a 1-0 win but the odds were rubish
so I went fro a unrealistic 3-0 at 28-1.

I had not had time to look at Nigeria's from before I placed the bet
and I didn't know we would be playing a understrength side.

McPhail :rolleyes:

Slash/ED
29/05/2004, 5:14 PM
Slash/ED, I am a Celtic supporter and I can tell you that Larsson is anything but an in the box man. He plays out wide for a lot of the match and often comes back to help the midfield. Maybe Henry would be a better example as I'm sure you've seen him play.

Larsson and Henry are 20+ goal a season men. Robbie Keane is not. That's the difference.

Condex
30/05/2004, 2:10 AM
Don't comment on a player you havge obviously not seen on more than a couple of occasions. I'll be repeating what I said to so many people when i say the following.
+ He is the captain of his club which shows he has the determination, experience and aggression needed in a midfield player.
+ He also has premiership experience with 10 games for Middlesborough at the tender age of 19 but unfortunately injury didn't help his cause. He made 50 appearances for Boro in total.

Just back from that matchand willing to comment on Div1 players.
the word I will use is crap.McPhail the most useless Irish player in a 100 years, something to celebrate.

tarzan_bray
31/05/2004, 11:24 AM
cannot believe you are all leaving out Kilbane, he has been so consistent for Ireland and was fantastic against Brazil, him and Keano would be some tough centre midfield pairing

Matt Holland is like a china doll, he never gets broken cos he never gets stuck in just scores the odd screamer now and again, not good enough to start IMO

depending on how young McGeady gets on in the next few friendlies what about this team for Cyprus game

Given, Carr (ok you've all convinced me), O'Brien, Captain Kenny, O'Shea,
Miller, Kilbane, Keano, Duff, Keane, McGeady/Lee

cullenswood
31/05/2004, 12:16 PM
cannot believe you are all leaving out Kilbane, he has been so consistent for Ireland and was fantastic against Brazil, him and Keano would be some tough centre midfield pairing

Matt Holland is like a china doll, he never gets broken cos he never gets stuck in just scores the odd screamer now and again, not good enough to start IMO

depending on how young McGeady gets on in the next few friendlies what about this team for Cyprus game

Given, Carr (ok you've all convinced me), O'Brien, Captain Kenny, O'Shea,
Miller, Kilbane, Keano, Duff, Keane, McGeady/Lee

I wouldn't mind giving that team a go, even though I'm still not fully convinced about Miller and maybe would throw in Reid. Definitely leave out Morrisson who just doesn't have it for International level, or for club level considering Forrsell and Heskey will be keeping him out of the team next year.

Holland played his first decent game for Ireland on Thursday nite in over a year, he was muck apart from that (at international level)

only1kilbane
31/05/2004, 12:27 PM
think we should cool it with mc geady he has not had the chances yet with celtic dont mind us and alan lee really aint up to it. Would prefer Clinton at the moment till anything better comes along. Kilbane and Keane in the middle would be my preffered duo anyway

Condex
31/05/2004, 12:28 PM
+ He was a million pound transfer from Stoke to Cardiff which says a lot for a then second division club.
+ He was in the division 2 team of the year for 2 successive seasons and his first month in division 1 he got player of the month. Nothing special but he had to earn it.
+ He has scored 7 goals in 27 games this season.

Kavanagh : if he's that good why is he playing for a mid table Div1 side. I'm sure premiership clubs have scouts at a lot of matches.

The gulf in class between Div1 and premiership is getting bigger by the year
only Portsmouth of last years promoted teams stayed up and they had to go out and buy a whole new team. The teams that went up this year most likely will come back down again.

I would not have a Div1 player on ahead of players who are playing regularly in the premeriship. So Holland and Kilbane are ahead of Kavanagh but he can have Kinsellas place in the squad as looks past it.

fergalr
31/05/2004, 12:38 PM
Consensus seems to be that the major problem is the lack of a second striker. The two options being put forward are to play 12-touch Robbie on his own or to pick someone we all know is not (or not yet) up to it. These two options presuppose that the only formations open to us are 4-5-1 and 4-4-2.

How's about a more modern (and very flexible) 4-1-2-2-1?
Given
Carr-Cunningham-O'Brien-O'Shea
RMK
Millar-A.Reid
Duff-Kilbane
Keane

tarzan_bray
03/06/2004, 9:01 AM
From todays Indo report on Jamaica game

Barrett, a 22-year-old who learned his trade on the training ground at Arsenal alongside the likes of Thierry Henry and Dennis Bergkamp, has always been a player with massive potential.

He was part of Kerr's successful under-age squads and actually scored on his debut for the senior side against Finland in August 2002.

But illness and the lack of first team opportunities at Highbury saw him leave for Coventry at the end of last season and over the past 12 months he has slowly regained his confidence and begun to deliver for club and country.

Last night, playing on the right side of midfield, he showed what a technically gifted player he is and produced an excellent performance which was crowned by that goal

-------------------------------------

Midfield of Barret Miller Keano Duff?

tiktok
03/06/2004, 9:19 AM
we do have a lack of right wingers, I've liked what I've seen of him so far, wouldn't mind him staying in the squad.

only1kilbane
03/06/2004, 9:58 AM
Given

Carr - O Brien Cunningham - Oshea

Reid - Keane Kilbane - Duff

Keane Morrison

Think kilbane has shown in the games he was given a chance in the centre that he is up for the job

Slash/ED
03/06/2004, 10:55 AM
There's no way Barrett should be a starter for us, or even close to one, he struggles to get into the Coventry side for gods sake! I'd have Reid on the right with Duff on the left for the wingers, Keane in the middle beside Miller. That's a very good mid field I think with some very good options on the bench too. Has to be Morrison beside Keane even if he's not playing the best on front of goal he's still the best option we have, it would be too early for Elliot to get into the side. I think O'Briens played his way ahead of Breen in the pecking order to partner Kenny now, though I wouldn't be panicing no matter which one got picked, it's nice to have options there. Given picks himself and the full backs will probably remain Carr and O'Shea.

tarzan_bray
03/06/2004, 1:01 PM
Gerry McDermott: Kerr praises his Irish tiger cubs

Thursday June 3rd 2004

BRIAN KERR hailed match-winner Graham Barrett last night and said he has played himself into contention for the World Cup qualifiers.

Kerr nurtured Barrett through the youth ranks and was delighted to see his young protege deliver the goods last night.

"His whole game tonight was excellent and he came up with goal. He is a great lad who takes his game seriously and has probably been frustrated at his lack of progress," said Kerr.

© Irish Independent