PDA

View Full Version : League prize funds reduced.

Pages : [1] 2

osarusan
11/02/2011, 11:34 PM
http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2011/0211/airtricity_faicup_easportscup.html

The Football Association of Ireland has confirmed a reduction in the prize fund for the 2011 Airtricity League.

The decision comes about after the Association concluded meetings with clubs and representatives from the other strands of the game about the prize fund for the forthcoming campaign.

In recent seasons, clubs have made significant reductions to their cost base over particularly in the area of player and staff salaries.

The winners of the 2011 Airtricity Premier League Division will receive €100,000, while the First Division champions will be awarded €25,000.

€50,000 is the pot for the FAI Cup winners next November, with €25,000 going to the runners-up.

The EA Sports Cup champions will pick up €10,000, with €5,000 going to the beaten finalists.

No great surprise I suppose. Does anybody have previous figures for comparison? Also, how much does it cost to enter the league?

The one notable line from that article is

The decision comes about after the Association concluded meetings with clubs and representatives from the other strands of the game about the prize fund for the forthcoming campaign.

redobit
11/02/2011, 11:38 PM
Delaneys golden, diamond stuuded throne has to be paid for you know.

SwanVsDalton
12/02/2011, 1:50 AM
We were going to win too...RIDDEN ROCK SOLID.

Ezeikial
12/02/2011, 1:54 AM
Is there any further info on the prize money for 2nd down to 10th? As I recall the reduction last season was significant at the top end (winners, runners-up) but was largely unchanged from there down. It would be interesting to see the full figurers for 2009, 2010 and for 2011

SkStu
12/02/2011, 4:31 AM
We won 280k in 2009. It definitely went down again last season to around 200k. To decrease again to 100k for 2011 is a huge drop in 3 seasons in anyones language.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/soccer/2009/0227/1224241954245.html

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2010/0305/airtricityleague.html

compo
12/02/2011, 8:24 AM
We were going to win too...RIDDEN ROCK SOLID.
Hey!! Rico The Talkative has copyright on that phrase!
TBF, it's very disappointing, but people in the FAI have lost their jobs, so the cutbacks are hardly in one area alone. I'm sure the people who lost their jobs there would be annoyed if they were the only ones to suffer.

pineapple stu
12/02/2011, 8:56 AM
Is there any further info on the prize money for 2nd down to 10th? As I recall the reduction last season was significant at the top end (winners, runners-up) but was largely unchanged from there down
Last year was 40k for tenth and I think about 46k for fifth, so you're right there. I've a notion the cost to enter the league was 20k, and possibly even 40k. It'd be interesting to see if this has reduced too.

Longfordian
12/02/2011, 9:30 AM
The administrative staff who run the league are now on three day weeks as well apparently, including senior people like Michael Hayes. Things are very tight up there .

SwanVsDalton
12/02/2011, 9:54 AM
Gambling financial security on success makes even less sense now, if that were possible.

sligoman
12/02/2011, 10:28 AM
They just reduced it this low because they know Shams wont win it again this year ;)

D.24saint
12/02/2011, 10:51 AM
Is the Fai deal now worth it to clubs with the added red tape and massive security costs that their security plans bring to league I wonder?

passerrby
12/02/2011, 10:57 AM
so we have registration fees totalling about 270k approx add on another 30k in fines and prize money of 300k ..how much do the fai put into league of ireland again

athloneman
12/02/2011, 11:31 AM
it's nice to finally see that the fai are finally showing where there priority lies which is clearly not with domestic football in this country.......

Spudulika
12/02/2011, 11:54 AM
Athloneman, the clubs voted to extend the deal (after some posturing) and continue this mess. It won't get better soon and the image of the LOI will drop further, which means that no self-respecting alternative will come in next time, so it's the FAI or nothing! Shocking drop in the winners prize money, it's now officially half of that gotten by the winners in Malta! Though by comparison not too bad as the winners in Russia get 500k.

pineapple stu
12/02/2011, 12:13 PM
Shocking drop in the winners prize money, it's now officially half of that gotten by the winners in Malta! Though by comparison not too bad as the winners in Russia get 500k.
I recall another in-the-know poster - don't know if you remember him? - who also posted unsubstantiated claims, primarily about Maltese and Russian football and who took excessive umbrage whenever it was suggested he was a complete spoofer; a carge that, in the end, was proven. Coincidence, I wonder?

HulaHoop
12/02/2011, 12:24 PM
so we have registration fees totalling about 270k approx add on another 30k in fines and prize money of 300k ..how much do the fai put into league of ireland again

Interesting point. Where is the sponsorship money from Airtricity going I wonder?

athloneman
12/02/2011, 12:41 PM
Where is the sponsorship money from Airtricity going I wonder?

paying for delaneys wages or the aviva i imagine.......

passerrby
12/02/2011, 1:43 PM
Interesting point. Where is the sponsorship money from Airtricity going I wonder?

artricty, daily star, 98fm ea sports and others

HulaHoop
12/02/2011, 2:19 PM
artricty, daily star, 98fm ea sports and others

There's definitely a story for a good investigative journalist here. Are the FAI now actually taking money out of the domestic league and diverting it elsewhere? Add up all the sponsorship deals (Airtricity, The Star, 98FM, EA Sports etc.), the registration fees from clubs and money taken in from fines. Does all that add up to more than the prize money and cost of admin for the league?

passerrby
12/02/2011, 2:25 PM
There's definitely a story for a good investigative journalist here. Are the FAI now actually taking money out of the domestic league and diverting it elsewhere? Add up all the sponsorship deals (Airtricity, The Star, 98FM, EA Sports etc.), the registration fees from clubs and money taken in from fines. Does all that add up to more than the prize money and cost of admin for the league?

also does eufa give associations grants for national leagues? licensing etc

gufc4life
12/02/2011, 3:01 PM
It Costs 19,000 euro to enter the league this would mean you will have to finish third to make that back. 8th,9th and 10th in the premier league the prize money is 5,000 euro last season it was 42,000 41,000 and 40,000 euro for the same places ,That a ridculious drop and I bet you airtricitys sponsership money hasn't dropped.

For anyone who hasn't seen heres the list of prize money

Premier League
1.€100,000
2.€45,000
3.€25,000
4.€15,000
5.€10,000
6.€7,500
7.€6,000
8.€5,000
9.€5,000
10.€5,000

First Division
1.€25,000
2.€12,500
3.€7,500
4.€6,000
5-12.€5,000

athloneman
12/02/2011, 3:47 PM
19000 registration fee * 22 teams = 418000
total league prize money = 309500
sponsorship?? approx 100000 a year
fines, etc???

Therefore the fai are now taking more money out of the league than they are putting into the league...if the clubs signed up to this they are absolute fools!!

on a side note what do clubs do if they have budgeted for prize money that was similar to last year??? for example galway budget 40000 in prize money for finishing last, so therefore before the league even starts they are working at a 35000 loss, could have some serious consequences come the end of the year!!

The Lep
12/02/2011, 5:25 PM
Thats a seriously bad break down in the prize money. The prize money isnt worth it unless you win the Premier.

SkStu
12/02/2011, 5:28 PM
Thats a seriously bad break down in the prize money. The prize money isnt worth it unless you win the Premier.

and even then its less than the budget of every(?) Premier and 1st Div club. Yikes...

SkStu
12/02/2011, 5:32 PM
maybe im out to lunch but the prize for fininshing last in the First Div should be 19k or the cost of registration (with 2k-5k incremental increases as you go up). If the FAI dont agree then the registration should be dropped but last place, in my opinion, should be at the very minimum the price of registration and that money should be taken exclusively out of the sponsorship deals that the FAI does with various companies on behalf of the league.

Those figures are sickening.

Longfordian
12/02/2011, 5:46 PM
Anyone any idea of the registration costs of the old Eircom League? Pretty sure it was under 10k. The FAI are obviously struggling to pay their way, they could end up only renting the Aviva if things don't pick up for them soon.

The Lep
12/02/2011, 6:50 PM
It could be the death of more clubs with more running costs to meet with the licence criteria and less prize money in return.

Guinney
12/02/2011, 7:18 PM
Bloody sickening how much the FAI took off this. I know cuts are being made everywhere but this is really far too much. The domestic league here is struggling and this will only hurt it even more. Also cutting the funding for the clubs promotion officers.

geezer
12/02/2011, 8:35 PM
19000 registration fee * 22 teams = 418000
total league prize money = 309500
sponsorship?? approx 100000 a year
fines, etc???

Therefore the fai are now taking more money out of the league than they are putting into the league...if the clubs signed up to this they are absolute fools!!

on a side note what do clubs do if they have budgeted for prize money that was similar to last year??? for example galway budget 40000 in prize money for finishing last, so therefore before the league even starts they are working at a 35000 loss, could have some serious consequences come the end of the year!!

Galways Budget was drastically reduced for licencing, its im sure the lowest budget of the premier clubs for 2011. The prizemoney element were stripped out because of uncertainty . There was budgets put together by GUST september last year that would have compared income from previous year and worked from there over the winter between discussions with board and people at the fai, it was obvious by december the world was changing. Its shoestring and straightjacket now as per agreed with licencing dept. Galway also have reduced their tax liability by 90k over the year and the liabilities on balance sheet by approx 30%. Huge work went on over the winter to secure its future. I would be confident it has a structure now to begin a stable, steady as she goes culture. There are no plans in short term to set the world on fire, We are scolded enough after the last 5 years. Lessons have to be learned

athloneman
12/02/2011, 8:40 PM
i only used galway as an example as i assume alot of clubs would budget prize money into there accounts for the year...

geezer
12/02/2011, 8:53 PM
Well it was an untruthful example and I had to point it out , i have ran models for 6 months on budget and sought advice country wide from Drogheda across to limerick and down to cork. We also sought counsel from the fai, the league and the local fa and were advised i have to say very favourable with huge dollops of realism. Lessons have to be learnt, clubs are going to have to start looking at themselves, and stop committing and promising when they know full well they have as much chance punting on the 3.55 at kilbeggan and cant deliver, affecting many lives along the way. The FAI cant be blamed for everything, an i am defo no apologist for them.

Jofspring
12/02/2011, 9:08 PM
Looking at that break down makes me laugh at the comment the FAI made last year during the whole Limerick/Barcelona saga that they spend €3m a year to run the league and stated prize money as included in that.

I understand they may have had to make cuts but that is a very big jump.

geezer
12/02/2011, 9:16 PM
It would be interesting to do an analysis of the cost of running leagues around europe particularly leagues like the welsh league, conference, ryman, other small european leagues. Im sure that info available from supporters direct in uk.

The Lilywhites
12/02/2011, 9:38 PM
So John Delaney pays 5k to lick the holes of Irish supporters in Slovakia and feed them with drink, yet some clubs will be paying a 20k entry fee to the league this year to possibly get the same rewards?

Longfordian
12/02/2011, 10:43 PM
Delaney told one of our club officials one time when the subject of the disparity in prize money previously came up that "nobody is interested in losers".

Schumi
12/02/2011, 10:48 PM
So the entire prize money for the league is less than John Delaney's wage?

cornflakes
12/02/2011, 10:50 PM
Delaney doesn't care about the league. Simple

Dodge
12/02/2011, 11:26 PM
The drop in prize money isn't unexpected. The line that bgs me though si this

In recent seasons, clubs have made significant reductions to their cost base over particularly in the area of player and staff salaries
As if the 5k for finishing 8th would cover the cost of haing a part time secretary for more than 4 months, Another one of thes stupid little FAI lines that jsut make them seem petty and pathetic. The first statement about Limerickl v Barca being the worst example

geezer
13/02/2011, 8:57 AM
i only used galway as an example as i assume alot of clubs would budget prize money into there accounts for the year...

Apologies didnt realise the figures were on the star yesterday and you were using galway as an example. I know though most clubs had a goos idea the prizefund was being slashed

Spudulika
13/02/2011, 9:27 AM
I recall another in-the-know poster - don't know if you remember him? - who also posted unsubstantiated claims, primarily about Maltese and Russian football and who took excessive umbrage whenever it was suggested he was a complete spoofer; a carge that, in the end, was proven. Coincidence, I wonder?

ps, what are you on about? I sincerely hope you're not just wumming though it certainly looks this way. On the Sporting Fingal thread you made an unfounded and insulting remark that, while you didn't remove, you rowed back from. Please feel free to contact the MFA or RFS about the prizemoney for the upcoming league season, if you are serious and not just wumming, then I will gladly pass along further information. Otherwise please don't be a wum, it's unfair, unbecoming and really out of place. Also if you doubt the figures, say so instead of going off on some tangent. You can simply question some of those we know in common as to the veracity and please if you have issues don't just stalk around threads to make oddly pointed posts.

edit: to elaborate the winners in Malta will receive between 210-220k this season.

Spudulika
13/02/2011, 9:30 AM
Bloody sickening how much the FAI took off this. I know cuts are being made everywhere but this is really far too much. The domestic league here is struggling and this will only hurt it even more. Also cutting the funding for the clubs promotion officers.

Are you serious? No doubting you, just I can't believe that this would be the case. When we're struggling for the league to survive, forget growing, they're cutting back on funding for CPO's?

pineapple stu
13/02/2011, 10:18 AM
ps, what are you on about?
edit: to elaborate the winners in Malta will receive between 210-220k this season.
On the first point, let's be open here - I suspect you and weecountyman are the same poster. Far too many parallels.

On your second point, feel free to provide a link. Any link will do. Just one. Links never were your forte, which is why wcm eventually got rumbled and suspended. You registered three days after wcm's suspension elapsed and have at least learnt to quote random meetings you've had rather than newspaper articles - fewer traces, but I suspect you're still the same enormously pompous bluffer you always were.

Feel free to take mock umbrage, but you did ask mew to clarify my comments.

Spudulika
13/02/2011, 8:48 PM
On the first point, let's be open here - I suspect you and weecountyman are the same poster. Far too many parallels.

On your second point, feel free to provide a link. Any link will do. Just one. Links never were your forte, which is why wcm eventually got rumbled and suspended. You registered three days after wcm's suspension elapsed and have at least learnt to quote random meetings you've had rather than newspaper articles - fewer traces, but I suspect you're still the same enormously pompous bluffer you always were.

Feel free to take mock umbrage, but you did ask mew to clarify my comments.

? PS, I've sent you a pm to try stop this wumming, feel free to ask any questions you wish, I attempted to further clarify and hopefully make you ease off as it's all a little unbecoming. Much appreciated and I'd appreciate an end of namecalling, you're a moderator after all and I still don't get the world championship manager reference. Sorry.

pineapple stu
13/02/2011, 10:01 PM
PM replied to.

In the meantime, how's about that link to the Maltese prize money?

osarusan
13/02/2011, 10:07 PM
http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20100930/sport/2009-10-premier-league-clubs-to-share-289-328

This was for the 2009-2010 season.

Birkirkara, who progressed to the second qualifying round of the Champions League where they narrowly lost to Slovakia’s MSK Zilina, are expected to earn up to €460,000 in prize money – €200,000 for winning the domestic championship and €260,000 for their run in the Champions League (€130,000 for every round).

3rd paragraph from the bottom.

noddy102
13/02/2011, 10:09 PM
For so many reasons this dramatic cut of over 500,000k is going to kill the league. Someone mentioned it only fair as there were cuts within the FAI as well. Fair enoughbut surely they didnt cut 5/7ths of their staff. Seems like absoulute madness to me and will see players being paid far less, with far smaller squads meaning more players out of jobs, more people heading to play in australia in a league which is no where near as good. And any player with a half decent offer from abroad will be off without thought. This league is being decimated bit by bit.

Spudulika
13/02/2011, 10:21 PM
Noddy in a normal situation it would be devastating, though I suppose they're using their economic advisers to figure out how it all sits in the overall Irish economic context. Not that I disagree with you for a moment, it's just not good for the LOI, I mean, 5k for 8-10 in the Premier, it's saddening though what's worse is that it'll lead to a series of articles hammering the FAI on finances.

bullit
13/02/2011, 10:26 PM
The cuts are fairly brutal all right but i wouldnt be calling it the death kneel for the LOI just yet.And remember its just not domestic or local football that is being hit hard by emigration,all sports across the board are having to deal with that drain.

Dodge
13/02/2011, 10:29 PM
For so many reasons this dramatic cut of over 500,000k is going to kill the league.

Go on then, start listing the many reasons

Spudulika
13/02/2011, 10:31 PM
The cuts are fairly brutal all right but i wouldnt be calling it the death kneel for the LOI just yet.And remember its just not domestic or local football that is being hit hard by emigration,all sports across the board are having to deal with that drain.

Good point about the general challenge faced by sports, I heard it on the radio this evening and it's probably somewhere online, about a Clare GAA club (Wolfe Tones?) who couldn't field a team in Intermediate championship as they lost 11 players (not all to emigration but a fair number) out of a panel of 25. Maybe players going abroad to play part-time and work is going to be normal for the LOI.