PDA

View Full Version : EL allocation a failure?

tiktok
28/05/2004, 9:58 AM
The original reason these tickets were allocated, as far as I can remember, was to produce some of the noise and colour we're all used to at EL games.

That noise and colour was non-existent last night, the atmosphere was the poorest I've experienced at Landsdowne and came nowhere near any EL game I've attended this season, including DCFC away :eek: . About one hundred Romanians put the entire North Terrace to shame.

Going on last night's atmosphere, the scheme is not working at the moment.

Macy
28/05/2004, 10:21 AM
Going on last night's atmosphere, the scheme is not working at the moment.
Hasn't worked for any games that there is terracing as the eL fans are spread over the whole terrace. Whilst I suppose the fans have to take some responsibility for not organising it a group, the stupid way the stewards close off sections when it's empty doesn't help. Doesn't make sense to me - fill up on area, then open it so that everyone in the full area can move over - why not just open the whole terrace from the off? We could then arrange to meet in an area.

However, when it is all seats and by default we're all together, the atmosphere has been far better than the usual Lansdowne experience.

adamcarr
28/05/2004, 10:43 AM
However, when it is all seats and by default we're all together, the atmosphere has been far better than the usual Lansdowne experience.
Yeah I agree, I was at 2 games under EL allocation - Australia and Russia and The Russian atmosphere was far better!!!

Beavis
29/05/2004, 12:03 AM
That noise and colour was non-existent last night, the atmosphere was the poorest I've experienced at Landsdowne and came nowhere near any EL game I've attended this season
Your too right.I was at Bohs Shels tonight and the place was buzzing.Considering an attendance 9/10 times the crowd size of Tolka at Lansdowne, it's laughable.Do Ireland fans not share any of the passion as at club level?

Feech
01/06/2004, 10:27 AM
The problem is not EL fans, but the majority of Irish fans who rarely go to live games!

They don't know what to do in a stadium as it is not the same as Sky Sports in their local pub!!!

NeilMcD
02/06/2004, 12:44 PM
I agree with you post in many ways but, I dont go to El games, as i grew up in clare, and I do feel an affinity with any team. My dad take me to Bohs as a kid a few times and he was a big supporter of those but as he lives in clare now, he never gets to see them. However i do go to every Ireland game I can get to and i am off to holland at the weekend adn france and switz in the autumn. Anyway my point is I dont think you have to go to football week in week out to be a good supporter. When i am at teh games i am always couloured up, with jersey, flag and scarf and i make plenty ofnoise not matter where in the ground i am . I got a few looks last week in the west stand but who cares i am supporting my team and my view is start wth myself and see what happesn. At one point i did get a bit of chat going. But most people are sheep and like to follow. But all i was say is if everyone starts it themselves you will look foolish maybe 3 times out of 4 but it is worth it in the end.

tiktok
02/06/2004, 1:08 PM
Anyway my point is I dont think you have to go to football week in week out to be a good supporter.
When i am at the games i am always couloured up, with jersey, flag and scarf and i make plenty ofnoise not matter where in the ground i am.

I agree with your point Neil, the problem is there aren't enough people who will make the same effort.
A few of us repeatedly tried to get a bit of noise started last thursday, but all it produced was dirty looks, a guy in front of me managed to have a complete conversation on his mobile without raising his voice, i think that says it all about the atmosphere.

only1kilbane
02/06/2004, 1:27 PM
I know tried it myself on the south terrace and people just started laughing . You could see with the england game last night that the band made a real difference. All the songs were started off with the band playing them getting the crowd going . If we could have something like this going on during the game im sure the atmosphere would improve ..

NeilMcD
02/06/2004, 2:34 PM
Yeah it was the same for the scotland game in hibs ground, i think a band would be great, How would we go about organising that, and would the Fai let one in.

Eric
02/06/2004, 2:55 PM
I don't think the EL allocation is a failure at all. For the few qualifiers that it was introduced for the atmosphere at Lansdowne Rd was the best it has been for years, as was commented on by players officials etc.

For the friendlies the initial plan was to have a section of the terrace closed off for the EL fans which would've kept us all together and helped the atmosphere. Why this never happened I don't know.

The atmosphere at friendly gams compared to competitive ones is the same in every sport throughout the world not just at Lansdowne Rd. There is nothing to play for and therefore nothing for the fans to get worked up about.

The whole of Lansdowne Rd got involved in the singing for the last 3 qualifiers that the EL fans were at, can't see how that's a failure

tiktok
02/06/2004, 2:59 PM
yeah, fair points Eric.

I think all of us being so spread out didn't help during the friendlies, I was just really annoyed at the complete lack of interest on thursday last.

Beavis
02/06/2004, 11:20 PM
Email them and ask them if there is to be an allocation for the qualifying campaign.If not something needs to be done to make them see sense.

I know tried it myself on the south terrace and people just started laughing .
Presumably you heard us 'embarrasing' ourselves toward the back for the whole game.We even got booed for singing Molly Malone :confused: South Terrace has become so dry that even when the whole stand was singing it remained in relative silence.O1K,yous should get near us for the next game and we can defiantly sing against the will of those around us :D

soccerc
03/06/2004, 12:35 AM
Email them and ask them if there is to be an allocation for the qualifying campaign.If not something needs to be done to make them see sense.

Firstly, nice to see you use artwork of mine as your avatar :D .

Secondly, as Eric rightly pointed out the allocation was secured for the final home qualifiers for Euro2004 and it was a success. It works with seating as the allocation meant that all eL fans were grouped together.

When the seating is removed it is almost impossible to secure any given area on the North Terrace, solely and exclusively for elfans. The reasons for this are varied, but one is that Ireland fans are not used to being in the ground early, preferring instead to stay 'til as late as possible in a hostelry to ensure the last pint is not missed, and then with ten minutes to kick off expect to find empty spaces on a terrace reserved for their occupancy!! :eek: .

Macy
03/06/2004, 12:19 PM
preferring instead to stay 'til as late as possible in a hostelry to ensure the last pint is not missed, and then with ten minutes to kick off expect to find empty spaces on a terrace reserved for their occupancy!! :eek: .
And the problem is.... :D

cullenswood
09/06/2004, 2:08 PM
I reckon a band or something to that effect is definitely the way to go. The atmosphere was muck at the Romania game, and the only time a chant got going in the North Terrace was when some guy started thumping his bodhran. A cheer even goes up in the South Terrace every time some bloke rings a feckin' bell FFS!!

I think if there was some sort of a band it would get a good section of the crowd going and the rest would follow.

pete
09/06/2004, 2:33 PM
The whole of Lansdowne Rd got involved in the singing for the last 3 qualifiers that the EL fans were at, can't see how that's a failure

Yup, fairly hard to get worked up for a friendly. As you say atmosphere for qualifiers has been by & large very good & IMO got better with each game. For the seated games there seem to be some "issues" with standing as always seemed to be a bunch of people who maoned about having to stand.

The FAI should still try to push the eL section into one side of the north terrace. Still for a few hundred to maybe a thousand people i think the eL section done ok.

niamh
12/06/2004, 11:31 AM
I do not think the eL allocation is a failure for the reasons mentioned above - we are all spread out when it is terraced. I think the FAI realise that.

A face
12/06/2004, 12:26 PM
They don't know what to do in a stadium as it is not the same as Sky Sports in their local pub!!!

I'd agree totally here .... they are like fish out of water.

Beavis
13/06/2004, 10:50 AM
Yup, fairly hard to get worked up for a friendly. As you say atmosphere for qualifiers has been by & large very good & IMO got better with each game
Last campaigns qualifiers were brutal.That's the reason the whole El thing was formed because something had to be done.

soccerc
13/06/2004, 12:41 PM
Last campaigns qualifiers were brutal.That's the reason the whole El thing was formed because something had to be done.
Patently obvious that you don't know the history or the origin of the eL allocation.

Beavis
13/06/2004, 7:07 PM
Patently obvious that you don't know the history or the origin of the eL allocation.
Fill me in by all means....point is,last campaign Lansdowne was poor.

soccerc
13/06/2004, 7:19 PM

Fill me in by all means....point is,last campaign Lansdowne was poor.

eL only had an allocation for the final three home games those against Georgia, Albania and Russia and the atmosphere on the North Terrace was excellent.

Beavis
14/06/2004, 9:55 PM
eL only had an allocation for the final three home games those against Georgia, Albania and Russia and the atmosphere on the North Terrace was excellent.
And weren't they allocated to improve the atmosphere last campaign,as I said? :confused: please tell me how it began cos I would actually like to know

The eL allocation was successful in creating a constant noise throughout the game.The rest of the ground remained in near silence and with the eL fans removed from the south terrace(which was traditionally the singing end),it has completely dried up.eL allocation was a success but they still need some help from the other 33,000 to really get the volume up.