27/05/2004, 12:31 PM
Republic of Ireland: Given (Newcastle United); Finnan (Liverpool), O'Brien
(Newcastle United), Cunningham (Birmingham City), Maybury (Hearts); Miller
(Celtic), Roy Keane (Manchester United), Holland (Charlton Athletic), A Reid
(Nottingham Forest); Morrison (Birmingham City), Robbie Keane (Tottenham
Hotspur).

tiktok
27/05/2004, 12:32 PM
O'Shea must be injured, otherwise it's about as strong a side as he could put out.

PaulB
27/05/2004, 12:33 PM
Republic of Ireland: Given (Newcastle United); Finnan (Liverpool), O'Brien
(Newcastle United), Cunningham (Birmingham City), Maybury (Hearts); Miller
(Celtic), Roy Keane (Manchester United), Holland (Charlton Athletic), A Reid
(Nottingham Forest); Morrison (Birmingham City), Robbie Keane (Tottenham
Hotspur).

Considering all the drop outs, a good side.. I like it.

only1kilbane
27/05/2004, 12:35 PM
yeah well happy with the team . The only changes i might make are put in duffer kilbane oshea and carr ! Great side though considering

cullenswood
27/05/2004, 12:44 PM
Yeah can't argue with that team at all condsidering who we have available, and even with a full squad, only Reid, Maybury and maybe O'Brien wouldn't be starters.

fergalr
27/05/2004, 12:49 PM
Must say I'm surprised that Maybury starts given his performances for us recently. Only other issue is that I wish we had another striker.

concanta
27/05/2004, 12:51 PM
Happy with that

In my opinion only Kilbane O shea and Duff would come into that team.
Holland and Miller are good backups but as other people say as much as I dont think o shea is that great he is a mile better than that maybury fella

I really think we'll have a good squad ready for the world cup qualifiers
I really think we should have no problem finishing second to france - the swiss caught us on an off 2 days - we will beat them home and away next time

eirebhoy
27/05/2004, 12:52 PM
Must say I'm surprised that Maybury starts given his performances for us recently. Only other issue is that I wish we had another striker.
The only other player in his position is Clarke, Kerr doesn't want to give any debuts until Saturday.

Its pretty much the team I predicted with the exception of Maybury. Looking forward to tonight. Reid to score first and Ireland to win, 22/1. :)

/edit, there actually wasn't much of a choice for Kerr to make, here are the subs:

Colgan, Kenny, Doherty, Thompson, Clarke, Douglas, Rowlands, Doyle, Quinn, McPhail, Kinsella, Barrett, McGeady, Lee, Connolly.

If we're being realistic, none of them have a chance of staking a starting place for the qualifiers.

Slash/ED
27/05/2004, 1:49 PM
I disagree, McGeady has every chance of getting into the team for the play offs is the hype and his early preformances for Celtic are anything to do by.

Eirenua
27/05/2004, 1:57 PM
[QUOTE=concanta]

I really think we should have no problem [B]finishing second to france - the swiss caught us on an off 2 days - we will beat them home and away next

Lets drop this idea of finishing second to France. Its like going out with the attitude of playing for a draw.
We should upset the group by topping it. Does anyone believe that we have absolutely no chance of beating France? Any team can be beaten on the day.

NeilMcD
27/05/2004, 2:00 PM
TO be honest i dont we can ever predict teams anymore then 2 games ahead So all we can say is that Mc Geady will probably will nto be in contention to start next september or octover, but if he gets a good run for celtic he may have a chance for the spring interenationals.

Roo69
27/05/2004, 2:03 PM
[QUOTE=concanta]

I really think we should have no problem [B]finishing second to france - the swiss caught us on an off 2 days - we will beat them home and away next

Lets drop this idea of finishing second to France. Its like going out with the attitude of playing for a draw.
We should upset the group by topping it. Does anyone believe that we have absolutely no chance of beating France? Any team can be beaten on the day.

Totally agree with ya on that ! whats the point in even going out to play if your happy with 2nd best ?!?!?! this attitude needs to be banished from all aspects of Irish Football. It was like when we threw a 2 goal lead against Holland away and the players were jumping around celebrating the draw ! Why cant we best France ? why cant we top the group ?

carnstien
27/05/2004, 2:12 PM
Class team, with O'Shea, Duff and Carr all to return, things are seriously looking up!

Condex
27/05/2004, 2:25 PM
Worth putting a few bob on Ireland at 6/5

the 12 th man
27/05/2004, 2:26 PM
yeah well happy with the team . The only changes i might make are put in duffer kilbane oshea and carr ! Great side though considering

think o shea took a knock on sat in cup final

eirebhoy
27/05/2004, 2:32 PM
I definitely think we not only can beat the French, but will. By the time we play them in Lansdowne (hopefully Croker) Zidane will be 33, Pires will be 32, Makelele 32 and Vieira 29. They haven't got a lot of midfielder coming through that will be able to replace these player so that is a very ageing midfield.

In defence, Desailly and Lizarazu won't be around and Thuram will be 33. Their best prospect in defence, Boumsong, has gone off to Rangers.

They are safe up front though. They will probably have a good defense by the time we play them in Dublin but their midfield is their problem area. The midfield is probably our strongest position. :)

Littlest Hobo
27/05/2004, 3:51 PM
Looks good for the future. :D I've got a good feeling about the qualifiers. The swiss were lucky. Lets hope the french english and croats give them a good stuffing, and show us all how ordinary they really are.

Tonights team is not shy of the one that will line up (providing no injuries) against the swiss in September.

O Shea in for Maybury.
Finnan or Carr
Duff in for Reid

carnstien
27/05/2004, 5:22 PM
Tonights team is not shy of the one that will line up (providing no injuries) against the swiss in September.

O Shea in for Maybury.
Finnan or Carr
Duff in for Reid
I think Finnan and Carr should both be accomidated, we have no established right sided midfielder and I think one of these guys should definately play there. In may opinion they are both world class, which cannot be said about the likes of Holland and cannot yet be said about Miller or Andy Ried.

Condex
27/05/2004, 5:28 PM
I wouldn't waste valuable international experience on Maybury
he'll never make a good player. He came on in Poland and was useless

Kelly of Spurs should have been called in and Finnan could have
played on the left.

Metrostars
27/05/2004, 5:41 PM
BTW, Our World Cup qualifying opponants, Israel beat Georgia 1-0 in Tbilisi today.