PDA

View Full Version : Mick Wallace running for the Dail

Pages : [1] 2

Mario
06/02/2011, 8:50 PM
Hopefully the mods can leave this here for a day or two rather than rush it off to current affairs section as I myself like maybe many others posters here never look in the current affairs section ...

http://www.facebook.com/votemickwallace

cornflakes
07/02/2011, 7:50 AM
He has my vote, told the auld folks he was running the other morning and they said they'd vote for him.
I've heard a few people say they'd vote for him who would have no interest in the youths or football at all, hes an alternative to the usual ****e down here
He'l get the protest vote but I don't think he'l get enough to get a seat. Be great if he did tho
Imagine the big dirty head of hair on him in the dail!!

Enruoblehs
07/02/2011, 8:02 AM
But on the downside - if he won a seat, would he be lost to the Youths and to football for 5 years?

Spudulika
07/02/2011, 8:24 AM
I like Mick as a person. He has some very good concepts and he's a very educated and learned person. However this precludes him from being any use in the Dail. I don't want to see him get in there as he's too good for the place. I'd rather see him appoint a Governmental advisor on community sports development along with Gary Keegan and a few other notables. His energy will be wasted in the Dail with the spoofers and creeps. Then again, it's not too different from LOI football :-)

John83
07/02/2011, 8:58 AM
I read about this in the Tribune yesterday. It also mentioned that he has debts of over €40 million.

Which reminds me, I was on the LUAS the other day, and I overheard a snippet of a conversation "...hair like Billy Connolly...builder..." Who else could they have been talking about?

pineapple stu
07/02/2011, 9:02 AM
I read about this in the Tribune yesterday.
I thought the Tribune wasn't published yesterday? Sure you weren't reading the Mail?

D.24saint
07/02/2011, 9:06 AM
I thought the Tribune wasn't published yesterday? Sure you weren't reading the Mail?

thought that was a disgraceful stunt wouldn't touch the mail after that.

pineapple stu
07/02/2011, 9:08 AM
You'd have touched it before?

Macy
07/02/2011, 9:40 AM
I'd rather see him appoint a Governmental advisor on community sports development along with Gary Keegan and a few other notables. His energy will be wasted in the Dail with the spoofers and creeps. Then again, it's not too different from LOI football :-)
I'd rather he was in Dáil, talking about wider social issues. imo he'd be waster with a sports only brief.

Is he ULA aligned?

John83
07/02/2011, 9:51 AM
No, I saw that, picked it up, did a double take and found the real thing.

pineapple stu
07/02/2011, 10:00 AM
and found the real thing.
Are you sure? (http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0202/sundaytribune.html)

(Just seems strange cos everything I've heard on the radio or read on the internet indicated that it wasn't out at the weekend)

cornflakes
07/02/2011, 10:02 AM
I'd rather he was in Dáil, talking about wider social issues. imo he'd be waster with a sports only brief.

Is he ULA aligned?

No he agrees with some of ULA's policies/thoughts/opinions/whatever but not everything.

I don't see him being in the Dail with a sports only brief, I think he was proven that with his previous campaigning

osarusan
07/02/2011, 10:08 AM

(Just seems strange cos everything I've heard on the radio or read on the internet indicated that it wasn't out at the weekend)

also: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0207/1224289182542.html

Dodge
07/02/2011, 10:29 AM
Nothing against wallace, who seems a decent bloke, but whats the point in another independent fighting for local concerns? Isn't parish pump politics the problem in Ireland?

John83
07/02/2011, 10:30 AM

Not completely - just picked it up to scan over a cup of tea.

also: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0207/1224289182542.html
I saw the version in that picture all right. It was a slim, one volume thing for €1. The one I picked up instead was a €2.70 paper with lots of sections - sport, lifestyle, business, an arts/fashion magazine. If that was the Mail too, they've stolen more than a banner.

osarusan
07/02/2011, 10:37 AM
Nothing against wallace, who seems a decent bloke, but whats the point in another independent fighting for local concerns? Isn't parish pump politics the problem in Ireland?
He's actually running to reforn the dail so that TDs don't /can't get elected in local issues so much.

EDIT: Not only that issue I'm sure, but that also.

Longfordian
07/02/2011, 10:46 AM
Not completely - just picked it up to scan over a cup of tea.

I saw the version in that picture all right. It was a slim, one volume thing for €1. The one I picked up instead was a €2.70 paper with lots of sections - sport, lifestyle, business, an arts/fashion magazine. If that was the Mail too, they've stolen more than a banner.

The editor of the Sunday Tribune has been all over the media complaining about the shameful act of the Mail taking advantage of the Tribune not being out so it seems you may be the only person in the country to have gotten one this weekend! Did you check the date?!

Enruoblehs
07/02/2011, 10:48 AM
It also mentioned that he has debts of over €40 million.

Does this not preclude him from taking a seat in he Dáil?

John83
07/02/2011, 11:01 AM
The editor of the Sunday Tribune has been all over the media complaining about the shameful act of the Mail taking advantage of the Tribune not being out so it seems you may be the only person in the country to have gotten one this weekend! Did you check the date?!
I wish I'd kept it now. Can't imagine what it could have been if it wasn't the Tribune. Definitely not last week's - Wallace article, sports results, etc rule it out.

Does this not preclude him from taking a seat in he Dáil?
I've never heard of such a rule. No word of that in the article I read either.

plankton
07/02/2011, 11:40 AM
I saw Mick Wallace on Vincent Browne on Friday night, he speaks more sense than the rest of them put together. Someone with a bit of passion and a sense of justice for the people is exactly what we need in the Dail

Spudulika
07/02/2011, 11:41 AM

Is he ULA aligned?

Macy, I know what you're saying, and I agree. I used sports as an example, he'd be excellent to be an education czar with a free hand to completely revamp the education system from top to bottom. The reason I'd suggest he'd stay outside of politics is that he'd be brilliantly useful to Ireland without being stuck in the cesspit that is the Dail. The one thing I'd worry about is that he'd end up trying to save the world while the basics are ruined. If there was a council of state with individuals put in with set portfolio, experts or visionaries who would present plans to the Dail to be passed, it would be a real boost for the country. I just don't see the Dail as being sufficient for him. Not that he's a madman or megalomaniac, and his operating debts are just that. He'd be well able to manage.

Mario
07/02/2011, 11:48 AM
Isn't parish pump politics the problem in Ireland?

Yes it is and Wallace agrees so ... he's suggest here a max of two terms rule as some of his political reforms ...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiU8qWxsbOw (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiU8qWxsbOw)

Eminence Grise
07/02/2011, 12:30 PM

He would be forced to resign a Oireachtas seat in the event of being declared bankrupt, not being indebted no matter how large the sum. I presume the restriction also applies to eligibility of candidates.

Can't quite make my mind on his decision. I like him but I don't know how effective he would be as a reformist TD, unless he was part of a larger technical grouping with that as its core ideology. Imagine: Mick and Shane Ross on the same team. Oh the humanity of it all!!

D.24saint
07/02/2011, 1:42 PM
He could replace the Dail Bar with a dodgy Italian wine bar.A bit rich a developer mouthing off about the state of affairs in the country!

Mr A
07/02/2011, 1:44 PM
Just because he's a developer doesn't mean he's a bad guy. I don't think he was ever part of the set that really fecked things up.

Mario
07/02/2011, 2:30 PM
unless he was part of a larger technical grouping with that as its core ideology. Imagine: Mick and Shane Ross on the same team. Oh the humanity of it all!!

The current mayor of Roscommon Luke "Ming" Flanagan is running too and a local I know reckons he will get elected easily this time around. He has been very effective as a councillor and is liked and respected down there.

Eminence Grise
07/02/2011, 2:52 PM
Indeed, he’s in with a good shot. I’m a Rossie and met him and his father on and off years ago, though I didn’t know either well. He’s come on a lot as a politician in recent years, though, paradoxically, it seems to be as a result of adopting the old-fashioned grassroots localism that we need to reform. Could be an interesting Dail if he and Mick were returned. He’s popular alright, but not universally liked: some consider him a pain in the neck, and there’s still an unforgiving traditionalist vote down home that thinks grass is best suited for fattening cattle....

bluemovie
07/02/2011, 4:11 PM
Is he ULA aligned?

No, the ULA (PBP) candidate in Wexford is a lapsed Waterford United fan, Seamus O'Brien. Even if Mick doesn't get elected, it's thought that he will sink FF's Sean Connick's chances due to geographical overlap, which is good news anyway. I'd love to see Mick elected. I'd put him in a thousand times before any silent backbencher following the party line and sponging on expenses.

The current mayor of Roscommon Luke "Ming" Flanagan is running too and a local I know reckons he will get elected easily this time around. He has been very effective as a councillor and is liked and respected down there.

Another person I'd like to see elected. That said, remember the bother John Deasy had when he was caught smoking in the Dail bar. Ming could put a whole new slant on that.

Spudulika
07/02/2011, 5:56 PM
I'm prudish in the sense of that I don't believe drugs should be legalised or present in society. Of course I'm a hypocrite as I enjoy alcohol (responsibly) though I'm also against tobacco (growing up in a household where the other 4, of 5, are smokers). I'm happy to be called a prude for not liking drugs, mainly because I have seen first hand the destruction they've done on my own home area, and continue to do. While I'm sure that grass is possibly harmless, I still would like to see it eradicated. Then again, if Prime Time Investigates is anything to go by, everyone in the country is coked or grassed out of their fields!

paudie
07/02/2011, 8:12 PM
Just because he's a developer doesn't mean he's a bad guy. I don't think he was ever part of the set that really fecked things up.

In fairness Wallace has been speaking out in public about current affairs, especially in the construction industry, for a few years. Seem to talk sense when I've heard him.

BonnieShels
07/02/2011, 10:20 PM
I wish I'd kept it now. Can't imagine what it could have been if it wasn't the Tribune. Definitely not last week's - Wallace article, sports results, etc rule it out.

Eh, did you per chance buy The Sunday Times?

Charlie Darwin
07/02/2011, 11:22 PM
In fairness Wallace has been speaking out in public about current affairs, especially in the construction industry, for a few years. Seem to talk sense when I've heard him.
He was more into opposing wars, wasn't he?

I've listened to him talk and he seems like an interesting person but it seems like he's just decided to run on a whim with a bunch of vague sentiments that very few people would oppose. We tried electing people with vague, nice-sounding objectives before - they were the Greens and they were dreadful.

Bluebeard
08/02/2011, 2:00 AM
I'm from Wexford originally myself, so this is of no little interest. Interesting to see a prominent LOI fan, and a Team owner running in the same contest, both pretty much in the same district. And a third football based candidate is to be had in John Browne, who played junior football donkey's ago for Moyne Rangers, which somehow always pops up as a fact in the People Newspapers, unless he is talking about when he played intercounty hurling; given that the Rugby is popular now, what are the odds...

Anyway, as I hadn't seen it on here before, here are the Wexford candidates. I don't know what the feeling is like on the ground, but I'd be shocked if there wasn't 1 FF, prolly John Browne - a great record of consistently fighting against the government, especially if not a current junior minister. Also has a big advantage being first on the ballot. I think Connick will face problems from the fact that there are three candidates who could be perceived as Ross district - a lot of people in the town (my local one growing up) would have voted for a shaggy dog if it said it was from Ross back in the day, and I doubt that has changed.

Otherwise, I'd guess at least 1 Labour and 2 FG, and who knows for the final seat. I always felt that there was potential for a second Labour seat given the right circumstances, and FG have had 3 seats in the county in the past. But there are a lot of left-ish candidates running, which could take from Labour, as I don't think there would be many who vote for Shamie or John Dwyer or whoever, and then transfer to Cody.

As for Mick, I'd think he is genuine, and he is going to run a good and popular campaign. There are a lot of people out there who will vote for him because of the man he is, and a lot who will vote for him because he is a genuinely independent mind. Of course, that would not alone be enough to elect him - lots of very old school party faithful still.

FF
John Browne TD
Sean Connick TD

FG
Michael D'Arcy Jnr TD
Paul Kehoe TD
Liam Twomey

LAB
Brendan Howlin TD
Pat Cody

SF
Anthony Kelly

PBP
Seamus O'Brien

IND
Mick Wallace
John Dwyer (independent Left? Used to be Sinn Fein, but reckoned he got shafted by the party)

John83
08/02/2011, 8:55 AM
Eh, did you per chance buy The Sunday Times?
Must have. Or the Indo, or something like that. I just don't know.

Dodge
08/02/2011, 9:32 AM
Must have. Or the Indo, or something like that. I just don't know.

The indo were another Sunday who pulled a stunt at the weekend. They had a 4 page newspaper wraparound and inside was 64 pages of absolute tripe

Albatross
09/02/2011, 8:04 AM
If you want to write about Newspapers open a new thread this one is about Mick Wallace

Charlie Darwin
09/02/2011, 12:23 PM
Well talk about Mick Wallace then. It's not as if there are no posts to respond to.

cornflakes
10/02/2011, 5:00 PM
was handed a Vote for Mick Wallace leaflet in New Ross today
This is what it had on it if anyone is interested

Many Irish people would agree that the people of this country have been poorly served by its politicians. The present election campaign is bringing forward the usual barrage of promises which history has taught us, are seldom delivered. If the people of Wexford elect me to Dail Eireann, I will make no empty promises to deliver the usual 'stroke' politics. But I do promise to bring an honest approach in working to change the way we are governed.

We have not seen a proper working opposition in the Dail in recent memory - I will work with like-minded new Independents to create an unrelenting drive for major reform. We cannot expect our country to function in a healthy way unless we first fix things at the top. We need political reform to bring new politics, an end to political donations which seperate the electorate from legislature by allowing those with most money to have greatest influence, a smaller Dail with accountability and transparency in all its workings, a genuine effort to provide a decent State Health System for all, a greater emphasis on education including access to pre-school education, an end to expenses and pension abuse, and real local government that works.

We need a government that puts the interests of its people before those of big business; ordinary people should not have to pay for the mistakes of the financial institutions. Instead of the neo liberal approach of draining the system in an effort to balance the books, we need to listen to learn the lessons of history and hear the voices international experts who recommended investment and stimulus measures in order to create employment and economic growth

Northern Light
13/02/2011, 8:49 PM
Jonathan O Brien member of the Board at Cork City ( and a founding member of FORAS ) is also running for election in Cork North Central (for SF).

Spudulika
13/02/2011, 9:37 PM
Jonathan O Brien member of the Board at Cork City ( and a founding member of FORAS ) is also running for election in Cork North Central (for SF).

Any idea of his personal aims? He's a councillor, right?

Northern Light
13/02/2011, 9:51 PM
Any idea of his personal aims? He's a councillor, right?

Yes - that City get promoted - attendances increase and matchnights run smoothly (he is our matchnight co ordinator)! - as for political aims he is running for Sinn Fein http://www.newstalk.ie/candidates/cllr-jonathan-obrien/ and is currently a councillor.

He has a chance of taking the fourth seat - possibly from Billy Kelleher (FF) who has amongst his election team our old nemises - Tom Coughlan!

The Lep
13/02/2011, 10:07 PM
Mick is at the top of the ballot on the boards.ie vote thingy. Luke Ming is top in his as well.

ForzaForth
26/02/2011, 12:05 PM
Mick Wallace apparently topping the poll in Wexford and likely to be elected on first or second count. Not surprised - he has a brand recognition in the county that would be unmatched through his work with Wexford Youths and Wexford Inter-League side.

Has my best wishes of course.

Mr A
26/02/2011, 12:25 PM
Delighted to hear this. Good news for the country I think and it'll be interesting to see how things evolve at Wexford Youths.

Northern Light
26/02/2011, 4:09 PM
Looking good for Jonathan O Brien as well.

Dunny
26/02/2011, 4:11 PM
Mick Wallace elected

micls
26/02/2011, 4:12 PM
Congrats to Mick Wallace, elected with over 13k votes.

Jonathon O Brien should join him and we'll have 2 tds celebrated in Turners' cross next week.

Magicme
26/02/2011, 4:15 PM
Well done Mick! Delighted for Mr Pink.

Martinho II
26/02/2011, 4:19 PM
well done to mick. I assume he would pull out of whatever role he has at youths now??who the hell is Jonathan O'Brien??

Dunny
26/02/2011, 4:21 PM
well done to mick. I assume he would pull out of whatever role he has at youths now??

He said on RTE earlier he was late to the count because his priority wast the Youths U17 match..:D