View Full Version : Pick your Ireland team with Liverpool's new 352 formation

gally
06/02/2011, 8:26 PM
Given
Josh Dunne Clark
Coleman Hunt as wing backs
Foley Gibson Duff
Long Doyle

This was the formation with which Liverpool beat Chelsea today, do formations really matter, or is it just the players that win or lose matches, my first observation is that maybe our left back problem would be alleviated.

Your opinions please....

Stuttgart88
06/02/2011, 8:33 PM
I've always liked 3-5-2, but also love a back 4 with attacking fullbacks.

Charlie Darwin
06/02/2011, 8:34 PM
I think formations do matter but I'd be wary of 3-5-2. It seems like the sort of formation managers pick when they have 3 quality centre-halves and don't want to drop any of them rather than it actually being the best use of all 11 players. I think England tried it under Hoddle with mixed success and then Steve McLaren tried it and saw his side minced by Croatia.

I think we possibly do have the players to make it work but Trap is never going to waver from his beloved 4-4-2.

Colbert Report
06/02/2011, 8:44 PM
-----------------------------Given
---------------------O'Shea-Dunne-Clark
-----Coleman-------------------------------------Kilbane(shoot me)
-----------------Andrews-Gibson-Whelan-----------------------------
--------------------Keane-Doyle-------------------------------------

Tough to leave Duff on the bench but he can't cut it as a left back as evidenced when Newcastle played him there for an entire half season.

Stuttgart88
06/02/2011, 8:48 PM
I like the look of that alright.

TrapAPony
06/02/2011, 8:50 PM
Given
O'Shea Dunne Clark
Coleman Cunningham
McCarthy Meyler Duff
Keane Doyle

Noelys Guitar
06/02/2011, 10:04 PM
Well first off I'd "drop" Trap and Tardelli and bring in Kenny and Clarke...
Given
O'Shea, Dunne, Clark
Coleman, Whelan
McCarthy, Doyle, Duff
Keane, Long

Doyle and Keane are both excellent at dropping back and bringing other players into play. For me Doyle would just shade that position in between McCarthy and Duff.

Drumcondra 69er
06/02/2011, 10:24 PM
Just because Sky have pushed the full backs into midfield for their poxy 'walk towards the camera' shots at the start of the game doesn't change that formation from 5-3-2 for me......

Scooby Doo
06/02/2011, 10:59 PM
------------------------Given---------------------

----Coleman----------- Dunne---------------Clarke

---McGeady------O'Shea-----Meyler/another-----Duff

---------------------McCarthy--------------------

-----------------Keane------Doyle---------------

Maybe a bit defensively suspect on the right but serves me well in FIFA! :cool:

MacLondon
06/02/2011, 11:07 PM
Given
O'Shea, Dunne, St. Ledger
Coleman --------------- Duff
Lawrence, Andrews, Whelan
Keane, Long

No place for Doyle, Ireland's (lower scoring) version of David N'gog.
I'd describe Liverpool's formation in both games this week as 5-4-1 though.

tetsujin1979
06/02/2011, 11:35 PM
I'd go with

Given
O'Shea Dunne Clarke
Coleman Hunt
Whelan Fahey McCarthy
Keane Doyle

Feel almost dirty dropping Duff, but like others have said I don't think the defensive side of his game is up to playing wing back.

cufc champions
08/02/2011, 8:29 AM
Westwood
Clarke Dunne O Shea
Duff/ Hunt Fahey Wilson McCarthy Mcgeady
Long Doyle

I was calling for this change over a month ago it may actually suit us, only rhing is we may get caught down the sides to counter act this Marc Wilson as the holding player would have to work his nuts off to cover left and right so the centre backs do not get pulled out of position

Junior
08/02/2011, 9:36 AM
I really liked the 3-5-2 formation when Celtic played it under MON. Our problem is our wide players are essentially attackers. Hunt and Lawrence probably being more disciplined/able to do the defensive duties but they do not have the ability of say Duff and McGeady in an attacking sense.

Celtic had the right players at the time to make this work. Agathe, McNamara, Thompson (perhaps less so) were equally able in attack and defense.

Coleman looks to have the qualities to suit the right sided spot but obviously his defensive side needs work on as has been commented on elsewhere.

Nice to read the comments on here but we wont be changing from a 4-4-2 anytime soon.

shakermaker1982
08/02/2011, 11:36 AM
We can't even find two decent central midfielders how would we find 3?!!!

TrapAPony
08/02/2011, 11:43 AM
We can't even find two decent central midfielders how would we find 3?!!!

McCarthy, Wilson & Meyler?

shakermaker1982
08/02/2011, 12:10 PM

Injured, not trusted to play and injured.

Charlie Darwin
08/02/2011, 12:43 PM
You'd really need 5 or 6 good midfielders to account for injuries. Look at Germany, for instance.

cufc champions
08/02/2011, 1:04 PM

Ciaran Clarke can hold if needed. Liam Lawerence Fahey Gibson even Hunt could step in and do a job. We are probably better off suited than Liverpool at play this system that being said Trapatoni will not change anytime soon and we are going to stuck with Paul Green holding with Glenn Whelan