PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland V Wales - Monday, 8th February 2011 - Carling Nations Cup

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

geysir
06/02/2011, 12:09 PM
Given, Westwood ,
O'Shea , Clark, Coleman, Dunne, St Ledger, Kelly, O'Dea.
Wilson, Gibson, Whelan, Green, McCarthy, Fahy, Duff.
Keane, Walters, Doyle, Long, Keogh.

Best and Lawrence have pulled out, Andy Keogh has been called up.
I think, as Stokes was on standby and a better player, he should have been given the nod ahead of Keogh.

Closed Account
06/02/2011, 12:19 PM
How do you feel about the eligibility of Northern Irish born players playing for the Republic in this competition? Do you feel its our territory? Lets just get it out of the way.

Noelys Guitar
06/02/2011, 12:21 PM
Again, no logic in this decision to bring in Keogh ahead of Stokes. Keogh scored yesterday but his career has stagnated. Stokes has been a regular starter (although sub today)and scorer for Celtic and looks an improved player. Tuesdays game would be ideal time to have another look at Stokes to see if he has improved enough to earn a place in the squad. Keane and Fahey are playing today and in the squad so the playing on Sunday thing can't be used as an excuse.

Stuttgart88
06/02/2011, 12:28 PM
Bizarre alright. Stokes is the man in form and was the original standby choice.

From the revised squad I'd pick

Shay or KW
Kelly-Dunne-JOS-Clark
Coleman-McCarthy-AN Other-Duff
Keane - Long

and get them to play enterprising high tempo football.

AN Other: I'd probablt go with Whelan, but I'm underwhelmed by all our CM options.

Closed Account
06/02/2011, 12:33 PM
Don't speak too soon lads, 22 man squad has to be named for the tournament, 2 people pulled out and only Keogh has been called up. Now, my A1 in honours maths tells me that 22-2=20+1=21. I'd assume Stokes is in the squad but it hardly needs a press release.

If I'm wrong, you can vilify me.

Fixer82
06/02/2011, 12:49 PM
Absolutely ridiculous.
What's the point in having someone on standby if you're gonna call someone else up to leapfrog them?? Keogh hasn't been lighting the world up and Stokes deserves more of a chance. We've seen Andy Keogh and what he can do on the international stage. He'll be a fringe player at best. Give someone else a go il Trap

drummerboy
06/02/2011, 1:03 PM
I can't understand how people think Stokes is a better player than Keogh. Stokes has been a huge failure in both levels of English football while at the very least, Keogh is a proven Championship player. Stokes scores in the SPL which is a very small step up from LOI. Stokes couldn't score, or even hold down a regular place with any of the many English clubs he was with in England. Actually I don't see Stokes starting today, has he been dropped by Celtic?

geysir
06/02/2011, 1:23 PM
It's possible that Stokes will yet be called up.
We all know he has difficulties with his phone communications.

Jicked
06/02/2011, 4:54 PM
Robbie Keane and James McCarthy have apparently pulled out of the squad, that'll be Stokes recalled so.

Stuttgart88
06/02/2011, 5:30 PM
That's a real shame about McCarthy.

Predator
06/02/2011, 6:03 PM
Very disappointed that McCarthy has pulled out of the squad. I thought that he'd make the starting lineup for this game.

Scooby Doo
06/02/2011, 6:08 PM
Fuppin raging over this. My hopes of seeing McCarthy in the green permanently are rapidly waning. As mentioned in the McCarthy thread, its likely that there is more to this than meets the eye. This is the second time he's pulled out because of 'tiredness' FFS. I'm really starting to wonder if young James has had his head turned....

Feel free to put my mind at ease!

Predator
06/02/2011, 6:19 PM
I very much doubt that he's considering playing for Scotland, although of course it's not impossible. Perhaps modern footballers are taking playing for the national team less seriously.

Stuttgart88
06/02/2011, 6:19 PM
If he's had his head turned he'd be in the Scotland squad. I'm concerned myself, but it's not beyond reason that after a long absence he's not fully ready to play twice in a few days. He may well be feeling stiff and sore, especially after a heavy pitch. That's the naive, optimistic scenario anyway.

Scooby Doo
06/02/2011, 6:29 PM
What date is our next fixture, friendly or otherwise, anybody? We have Macedonia next month and that will be the test of McCarthy's commitment. Pulling out due to tiredness or whatever should not be tolerated. I mean fair enough if he is feeling the effects of yesterday's game but what is stopping him joining up with the squad and becoming familiar with the setup. I see nothing wrong with Wigan and Ireland coming to some kind of verbal agreement where he plays the last 20 mins or something.

OK, the reasons might be genuine but I'm afraid I'm starting to get a whiff of bullsh!t.

geysir
06/02/2011, 6:35 PM
I'm trying hard to find an angle here to blame Trap, any ideas? :)

Looks like Trap initial thoughts were sound, over a player needing time to fully recover from a bad injury into being match fit.

Stuttgart88
06/02/2011, 6:47 PM
Hopefully that's all it is.

tetsujin1979
06/02/2011, 6:55 PM
According to Sky Sports' Enda Brady, it's a problem with his ankle: http://twitter.com/#!/endabrady/status/34308449978417152

James McCarthy took a knock on his ankle yesterday and won't be joining up with his Ireland team-mates for Tuesday's match.

Colbert Report
06/02/2011, 6:58 PM
According to Sky Sports' Enda Brady, it's a problem with his ankle: http://twitter.com/#!/endabrady/status/34308449978417152

I feel much better now knowing there's a real reason behind it.

geysir
06/02/2011, 7:13 PM
Other comments from Enda
"Irish sports reporters stagger me sometimes. Never let the facts get in the way of a good story eh lads?"
"People going on radio claiming players are 'tired'. He took an ankle knock yday and is gutted."

Sullivinho
06/02/2011, 8:57 PM
I'm as disappointed as anyone that McCarthy won't be involved on tuesday but to me, this screams club pressure rather than international second thoughts. This is the guy who had the FAI release a statement on his behalf when these kind of rumours/speculations first surfaced a while back. Zero chance of him playing for Scotland. All four teams are suffering pull outs. I'd put it down to the inconsequential nature of the tournament and the fact it's taking place at a time when club games are very much of consequence. Wigan know the importance of McCarthy to their survvial hopes, he gave them an ample demonstration yesterday.

Trapattoni confirmed during his press briefing that both Ciaran Clark and Seamus Coleman will start against Wales to earn their debut caps. He also stated his intention to utilise the full complement of six substitutions allowed to him during the game.

Happy enough with that news tbh :)

osarusan
06/02/2011, 9:17 PM
Ah Tuff Paddy - how I miss him so.

Charlie Darwin
07/02/2011, 12:21 AM
I must have missed it when it was broadcast but it appears Trap confirmed Clark and Coleman will both play in their club positions, so left back for Clark and right wing for Coleman.

TrapAPony
07/02/2011, 12:27 AM
I must have missed it when it was broadcast but it appears Trap confirmed Clark and Coleman will both play in their club positions, so left back for Clark and right wing for Coleman.

I'll guess the lineup as Given, O'Shea, Dunne, St.Ledger, Clark, Coleman, Green, Whelan, Duff, Doyle, Long. Would much prefer Wilson play instead of Green though.

SkStu
07/02/2011, 4:10 AM

left back for John O'Shea surely!?

;)

Supreme feet
07/02/2011, 6:39 AM
Wouldn't mind seeing Fahey in the middle alongside Whelan again. They linked up well at times against Norway and are worth another go. I think Whelan always plays to the level of his CM partner; very good alongside Steven Reid, solid enough alongside Andrews, terrible alongside Gibson and Green. There was some nice interplay between him and Fahey against Norway, and I remember them playing well together during the World Youth Cup in 2003.

shakermaker1982
07/02/2011, 11:19 AM
Buzzing about Coleman playing. Injuries have forced the Trap's hand but I think Coleman can cement a RM spot if he impresses. Pace is something we are crying out for.

I think he'll now line up with this:

Given

O'Shea Dunne St Ledger Clark

Coleman Whelan Green Duff

Doyle Long

Only two weak links now with that team IMO. Such a shame about McCarthy but I was kind of expecting it. Wigan need him fit if they want to stay up.

sparkey
07/02/2011, 3:16 PM
Team announced for Wales game:
Given

O'Shea Dunne St Ledger Clark

Coleman Whelan Green/Gibson Duff

Doyle Walters

AlaskaFox
07/02/2011, 3:28 PM
Long should start ahead of Walters, but apart from that, it's fairly spot on. I'd rather Green over Gibson based on club form, amazingly.

Duggie
07/02/2011, 3:36 PM
i know hes out but i reckon lawerence could do a job in central midfield. good on the ball, good engine and his tackling wouldnt be to shabby. mcgeady gets the right side midfield spot for me right now.

Stuttgart88
07/02/2011, 5:02 PM
I'd have liked a look at LL in midfield at some point but I don't think our management team has that type of imagination even if he was fit.

Walters is an interesting one. I think Best when fit and interested is an absolute handful and a more dangerous player. Maybe Walters will allow Doyle more freedom than Robbie does. Walters can do more of the holding up play and winning the ball in the air than any of Robbie, Long or Stokes.

tetsujin1979
07/02/2011, 5:07 PM
Interesting comment on Walters starting up front from Trapattoni: http://twitter.com/#!/kenearlys/status/34626978933903360

trap says the idea to pair walters with doyle up front did not come to him in a dream, but after long hours of study.

TrapAPony
07/02/2011, 5:58 PM
I'd rather Green over Gibson based on club form, amazingly.
Wilson and Fahey are much better than Green. Really don't know what Trap sees in Green.

Stuttgart88
07/02/2011, 6:38 PM
Ah Tuff Paddy - how I miss him so.Hear hear.

AlaskaFox
07/02/2011, 7:06 PM
Wilson and Fahey are much better than Green. Really don't know what Trap sees in Green.

Very true, but of the two he named on the teamsheet, I'd plump for Green.

Cymro
07/02/2011, 7:18 PM
Wales team:

Hennessey

Eardley
Danny Collins
James Collins
Ricketts

Crofts
King
Vaughan

Church
Earnshaw
Robson-Kanu

You're probably thinking, 'Who the hell are they?' We've had a few pull-outs and our strikers are rubbish with the exception of Bellamy. No Bale or Ramsey either (which rounds off the well-known players in our squad) although watch out for Andy King who is an excellent young player.

Edit: if you're in the UK, take a look at King's first goal on Saturday:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/9389152.stm

I predict a 2-0 'home' win. Earnshaw is the only one of our strikers with any pedigree and he hasn't done anything on the international stage for years.

Kingdom
07/02/2011, 7:27 PM
eardley is the Blackpool lad yeah? He's having a good season. Simon Church has done well at underage level for Wales I think.
Once Earnshaw doesn't score I won't mind. Can't stand him.

Stuttgart88
07/02/2011, 8:02 PM
Didn't Any King win goal of the season in 1977? :)

paul_oshea
07/02/2011, 8:27 PM
Wales team:

Hennessey

Eardley
Danny Collins
James Collins
Ricketts

Crofts
King
Vaughan

Church
Earnshaw
Robson-Kanu

You're probably thinking, 'Who the hell are they?' We've had a few pull-outs and our strikers are rubbish with the exception of Bellamy. No Bale or Ramsey either (which rounds off the well-known players in our squad) although watch out for Andy King who is an excellent young player.

I predict a 2-0 'home' win. Earnshaw is the only one of our strikers with any pedigree and he hasn't done anything on the international stage for years.

can you tell me anything about this young cardiff lad called sullivan? Looks like a very good player. Only young still, have you (wales) big hopes for him?

The Fly
07/02/2011, 9:12 PM
Didn't Any King win goal of the season in 1977? :)

I don't think there was any royalty playing that season.

ArdeeBhoy
07/02/2011, 9:27 PM
Ah Tuff Paddy - how I miss him so.

Not that hard to find, over on Ybig.ie !

Cymro
07/02/2011, 10:30 PM
can you tell me anything about this young cardiff lad called sullivan? Looks like a very good player. Only young still, have you (wales) big hopes for him?

:confused: Haven't a clue who you're talking about.

eardley is the Blackpool lad yeah? He's having a good season. Simon Church has done well at underage level for Wales I think.

Fair comment on both counts, but I don't rate Church. Whenever I see him for Reading, his goals seem to come from close range and he hasn't scored many this year. He works his nuts off though, I'll give him that.

Once Earnshaw doesn't score I won't mind. Can't stand him.

Hes alright since he stopped playing for Cardiff. :p

osarusan
07/02/2011, 11:47 PM
Hear hear.

Not that hard to find, over on Ybig.ie !
Well actually, I was....ah...joking.

SwanVsDalton
08/02/2011, 12:03 AM
Well actually, I was....ah...joking.

http://images2.memegenerator.net/ImageMacro/2722297/AWKWARD-SILENCE-STRIKES-AGAIN-THINK-ITS-YOUR-FAULT.jpg?imageSize=Large&generatorName=Socially-Awkward-Penguin

geysir
08/02/2011, 12:21 AM
I knew Wales were coming, but didn't think it mattered who was in their team.
It's all about us.

Scooby Doo
08/02/2011, 1:00 AM
Just thinkin, if, as someone said earlier, Trap is plannin on using all six subs, then maybe Westwood will get a runout at some stage. Would be happy with that!

Nedser
08/02/2011, 8:12 AM
I can't understand how people think Stokes is a better player than Keogh. Stokes has been a huge failure in both levels of English football while at the very least, Keogh is a proven Championship player. Stokes scores in the SPL which is a very small step up from LOI. Stokes couldn't score, or even hold down a regular place with any of the many English clubs he was with in England. Actually I don't see Stokes starting today, has he been dropped by Celtic?

As pointed out on other threads in recent days, you're judging Stokes on "failures" when he was a teenager. He's still only 22, and has been in great form for the past year and a half. Yes, only in the SPL, but as I mentioned in response to someone else making that point, Robbie Keane has also pretty much only scored in the SPL in the last two years. Does that mean Robbie is somehow sh1t? No.

Regarding Stokes being dropped on Sunday, you're correct he was left out. It seems that twice in a row at Ibrox Lennon has opted to play with just 1 up front, and Stokes has been omitted. I think it's clear that's a tactical decision rather than a reflection on Stokes' ability or form though.

I find it absolutely bizarre that Jon Walters is starting and Stokes isn't in the squad. I think it's becoming clear that Stokes is another player who Trap just doesn't like. That may well be down to his reputation for having an attitude problem, but again that seems to have mainly been an issue when he was a teenager. I think it's a real shame, as Stokes has the potential to be a class act. Jon Walters is already 27 and has had a very nondescript career, so I can't say he strikes me as a great prospect for the future.

Hibs4Ever
08/02/2011, 8:55 AM
As pointed out on other threads in recent days, you're judging Stokes on "failures" when he was a teenager. He's still only 22, and has been in great form for the past year and a half. Yes, only in the SPL, but as I mentioned in response to someone else making that point, Robbie Keane has also pretty much only scored in the SPL in the last two years. Does that mean Robbie is somehow sh1t? No. .

Keane has proved himself at the highest level, and now at West Ham, continues this. Stokes has failed, repeatedly, at Championship level. It really amazes me how people can't grasp how sh!t the standard of the SPL is. As I've said before, Stokes was at Falkirk, scored for fun, went to England, scored 4 goals in 61 games, went back to Scotland, scoring for fun, says it all. He's doing great against teams like St Mirren, Hibs, Hamilton, all would be non league standard in England. FFS Conor Sammon couldn't get a game for Derry City then scored regularly in the SPL!

I find it absolutely bizarre that Jon Walters is starting and Stokes isn't in the squad. .

Walters plays and scores for a Premiership club, so no, not that "bizarre". Stokes would be 6 or 7 in line to play up front for us

paul_oshea
08/02/2011, 9:21 AM
I think that might be plays and scored.

Nedser
08/02/2011, 10:12 AM
FFS Conor Sammon couldn't get a game for Derry City then scored regularly in the SPL!

Actually, Sammon scored only 2 goals in his first 2 seasons in the SPL (in 42 games). He suddenly hit goalscoring form for the first time in his career about 6 months ago, but you can hardly correlate that with his arrival in the SPL.

Walters plays and scores for a Premiership club, so no, not that "bizarre". Stokes would be 6 or 7 in line to play up front for us

Are you being serious? Walters has scored a grand total of 3 Premiership goals in 23 games. Prior to that, he scored a total of 30 goals in 4 full seasons in the Championship. He was virtually ever present in the last 3 of those seasons, yet only got his goal tally into double figures once (when he scored 13 goals in 2007-2008).

Prior to that, he achieved nothing. When he was the same age as Stokes is now, he spent the season at Wrexham in the 4th tier of English football, and scored 5 goals in 38 games. And that was the best season of his career up until that point.

Walters is a journeyman, who has already most likely reached his peak. I have nothing against him, but if he is the future of our striking options we have very little to look forward to.

He'll probably score a hat trick tonight now though!:)