PDA

View Full Version : Ireland v Holland

Peadar
27/05/2004, 10:47 AM
Watched the WCQ game in Lansdowne Rd. 2001 on Sportsfiles last night.
How lucky were we to win that game!?!
McAteer was dire but all I had remembered was the goal.
Roy Keane was a collosus!
Gary Kelly was a muppet.
Duff has really come on as a player since then.
Great tackle by Shay to bring down van Nistlerooy but not conceed a penalty :D
We're in a far better position now as far as I'm concerned.
What a day that was.
First time I had heard Jim Beglins comments.
He was spot on for most of it.
Credit where credit's due like.

finlma
27/05/2004, 10:56 AM
Agreed, it was one of the luckiest wins ever, they were all over us. Still no complaining here. I remember watching it in a bar in New York really early in the morning and having to pay $20 for the privilege, worth every penny.

Sheridan
27/05/2004, 11:07 AM
Yeah, I watched most of that and to be honest I was pretty embarrassed. Only Van Gaal's tactical cluelessness stopped Ireland getting the pasting they deserved (it wasn't a penalty, though...)

I think that win must have thrown the universe into chaos somehow. Hours later, England won 5-1 in Germany, and a few days later 9/11 happened.

NeilMcD
27/05/2004, 11:21 AM
Football is a funny game, Mc Ateer was the hero at the time, on the Late Late show, Bono mentioning him at slane etc. In fact when people criticise him on this forum, this match is often used to support him. However i always thought that he had a terrible game, and gave no protection to Kelly who was getting skinned by overmars a lot. Goals can change games but they can also effect peoples view of history and their perspective on games. It was a really good finish from him but in general play he was poor. I actually thought Kilbane had a really good match too but dunne and Staunton were all over the place. To be honest my memory of that whole campaign was been lucky. We were lucky at home to Portugal and away too. We were lucky at home to HOlland. I also thought we were fortunate at home to Iran, with Given saving us a couple of times and if we had of conceded we woudl have went out on away goals. But i suppose we deserved it as we were unlucky in the campaing before.

petef
27/05/2004, 12:22 PM
What I remember of that game is Mcateer, Keane, 4 strikers and one goal!

Peadar
27/05/2004, 12:25 PM
I actually thought Kilbane had a really good match too.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that.
He did have a good game and has had plenty good games since.
I like the lad because he works hard and gives us options on the left at least.
I wish him a speedy recovery.

only1kilbane
27/05/2004, 12:38 PM
yeah by the looks of the last couple of friendlies he looks like he can do a good job for us in centre mid. HOpefully him and keane will get a chance maybe in august to play together. Think they would be good partnership