PDA

View Full Version : George For Croker?

Peadar
26/05/2004, 12:15 PM
Lads I'm going to preface my post with an apology if this has already been discussed.
Did I read somewhere that George said he wanted to win the league with City and then go off to play hurling?
Thought it was in the sun or the star on Saturday.

Éanna
26/05/2004, 12:50 PM
Apparently he said after winning the league with City he'd like to win an All-Ireland with Cork. Seeing as he's full time hard to imagine him giving football up, though i guess the GAAaaaaa would do their usual and "look after" him :rolleyes:

The other question is would the GAAaaaaa want a former "soccer star" :confused:

as for his hurling ability, I've heard he's an excellent hurler and apparently when he came back to ireland before he signed for City he played for Cork against Kilkenny in a challenge match and notched up a few points, played fairly impressively too. I work with a guy who's been coaching hurling for years with another team nearby who saw him play underage and he reckons he's one of the best he ever saw.

niamh
26/05/2004, 4:07 PM
Is pretty handy by all accounts, my cousin played with him out with Whitechurch.

one_bounce
26/05/2004, 4:23 PM
Apparently he said after winning the league with City he'd like to win an All-Ireland with Cork. Seeing as he's full time hard to imagine him giving football up, though i guess the GAAaaaaa would do their usual and "look after" him :rolleyes:

The other question is would the GAAaaaaa want a former "soccer star" :confused:

as for his hurling ability, I've heard he's an excellent hurler and apparently when he came back to ireland before he signed for City he played for Cork against Kilkenny in a challenge match and notched up a few points, played fairly impressively too. I work with a guy who's been coaching hurling for years with another team nearby who saw him play underage and he reckons he's one of the best he ever saw.

easy up on the anti gaa attitude... its his native sport and if he feels a pull towards it so what? he made it quite clear that he would be giving 100% to city in the meantime.. if he is as talented a hurler as people say then of course hes gonna want to represent cork in an all ireland

personally id love to see him get the winning point in an all ireland final.. very few modern athletes i can bring to mind who have excelled at more than one sport

SÓC
26/05/2004, 4:32 PM
Certain people on the Cork County Board would allow Georgie play for Cork becuase of his involvement in the 'garrision game'.

I remeber being at a Gaelic Football match with people around me hurling abuse at Dave Barry becuase he was 'fancy Dan' with his 'soccer' and the likes. That was before the bloody game started! It got worse.

Realistically it wont happen. Would you give up playing professionally to play GAA where you'd have to train the same amount and work in a job that they sorted out for you; a bank or the likes.

Sheridan
26/05/2004, 4:59 PM
easy up on the anti gaa attitude... its his native sport and if he feels a pull towards it so what?
Deary deary deary me, "native sport?"

It may be his native sport in the same way that my natural instinct is to eat with my hands, but that "pull" has been more or less eliminated by my exposure to civilisation. Hopefully the same is true of Georgie Boy.

To move from GAA to football is to take an upward step on the evolutionary ladder. To move in the other direction is an act of atavism.

Mind you, if he keeps scoring winners against us, the stickfighters are welcome to him...

patsh
26/05/2004, 5:01 PM
Certain people on the Cork County Board would allow Georgie play for Cork becuase of his involvement in the 'garrision game'.

I remeber being at a Gaelic Football match with people around me hurling abuse at Dave Barry becuase he was 'fancy Dan' with his 'soccer' and the likes. That was before the bloody game started! It got worse.

Yeah so a few people feel that way, so obviously all the GAA have that attitude to soccer.
Just like all City fans are hooligans and fight with Rovers..... :rolleyes:

City Hero
26/05/2004, 6:18 PM
It seems to me that the GAA hardcore are more interested in putting other sports down because of their love for "the game" rather than justing letting things take their natural course. They seem to be obsessed that other sports exist purely to steal their best players. This is even the case between football & hurling in some counties.

Some kids turn away from hurling and football because of the narrow minded approach. I'm talking about the kids who participate in as many sports as they can at every oportunity when they are growing up. They other kids turn away from all other sports for fear of being kicked out of the GAA team/club.

one_bounce
26/05/2004, 8:28 PM
Deary deary deary me, "native sport?"

It may be his native sport in the same way that my natural instinct is to eat with my hands, but that "pull" has been more or less eliminated by my exposure to civilisation. Hopefully the same is true of Georgie Boy.

To move from GAA to football is to take an upward step on the evolutionary ladder. To move in the other direction is an act of atavism.

Mind you, if he keeps scoring winners against us, the stickfighters are welcome to him...

i wouldnt expect a jackeen to understand.. way too much english blood mixed up in yer heroin riddled veins for you boys to ever grasp gaa... 1 million people, about as much chance of an all ireland as wicklow :rolleyes:

and eating with your hands is perfectly acceptable in most homes up there so go back to your neanderthal ways and dont worry about what us civilised folk may think

one_bounce
26/05/2004, 8:45 PM
It seems to me that the GAA hardcore are more interested in putting other sports down because of their love for "the game" rather than justing letting things take their natural course. They seem to be obsessed that other sports exist purely to steal their best players. This is even the case between football & hurling in some counties.

Some kids turn away from hurling and football because of the narrow minded approach. I'm talking about the kids who participate in as many sports as they can at every oportunity when they are growing up. They other kids turn away from all other sports for fear of being kicked out of the GAA team/club.
what georgie said is exactly that.. let things take their natural course.. he is 100% city and nothing will change that, all he has said is that he would like to represent cork in another sport he exells at... whats wrong with that?

as for your point about gaa obsessing over other sports stealing their players, youre way off the mark. gaa is an amateur sport and everybody involves realises its limits.. i have heard no true gaa fan saying that he hopes setanta fails in oz even though it leaves a gaping hole at left half forward.. have you? people realise that the game cannot/should not pay players so if the offer of a pro contract comes along in another code nobody begrudges it... anybody who does is an idiot bigot who should examine the very foundations of the gaa. eg. fionan murray, were city to offer him a full time contract i doubt any football fans would label him a traitor

on the davy barry thing.. things have evolved a lot since then.. davy was superb at both and in my opinion goes down as one of corks greatest sportsmen ever with a soccer league winners meadel and a football all ireland... and he made the right choice when forced to make a decision.. he gave the the bigoted county board the 2 fingers

yiddo
26/05/2004, 9:03 PM
Whatever Georgie does one thing is sure they'll be more City supporters watching the Cork hurlers in Limerick than watching City play Carrick on Sunday in Waterford. After all 2 trips to Waaaaterford in 48 hours is more than a man can take ;) :D