PDA

View Full Version : Joan Burton Meltdown On Vincent Browne

Lim till i die
24/01/2011, 11:08 PM
How many of these threads are we going to have before the election?? :D

Sweet Jesus, this AWFUL woman is vile, vile, vile.

Screaming at Joe Higgins.

Somebody asks you a question you don't like?? Accuse them of being sexist. :rolleyes:

Have no policies?? Just scream and shout and moan and interrupt.

Good God, my poor head.

Real ale Madrid
24/01/2011, 11:17 PM
Didn't know what to make of Joan Burton before tonight , but what a gob****e!

Totally made a mug of regarding Gilmore's statement on the late late.

Heard her on morning Ireland this morning at 7am - might not be used to the long days??

Battery Rover
24/01/2011, 11:19 PM
Excellent viewing and the worse she gets the more Vincent Browne winds her up.

Longfordian
24/01/2011, 11:26 PM
Actually hilarious stuff from Burton. Trending worldwide on Twitter no less! She's done herself and her party no favours, comes across as demented and screechy.

Lim till i die
25/01/2011, 12:07 AM
Image of Joan from tonights show for anyone who missed it:

http://newarkairportsucks.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/fuuuuuu.jpg

Jaysus, I'm only just starting to get over it.

BonnieShels
25/01/2011, 12:45 AM
Here's a snippet...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFJV9RZ716A&feature=youtu.be

mypost
25/01/2011, 12:46 AM
Actually hilarious stuff from Burton. Trending worldwide on Twitter no less! She's done herself and her party no favours, comes across as demented and screechy.

She's your Finance Minister in-waiting. Brussels won't know what's hit it.

Lim till i die
25/01/2011, 12:47 AM
I had just nicked this snippet off a "BonnieSituation" on politics.ie and was about to post it.

Small world. :p

There were at least thiry more minutes like that btw people! And you thought Joan of Arc burned!!

Longfordian
25/01/2011, 12:53 AM
One of the few occasions where the subject of an Après Match skit has gone further into the realm of parody than the comedians ever did.

BonnieShels
25/01/2011, 12:55 AM
I had just nicked this snippet off a "BonnieSituation" on politics.ie and was about to post it.

Small world. :p

There were at least thiry more minutes like that btw people! And you thought Joan of Arc burned!!

Fierce sound lad that fella.

The tv3.ie feed died at 12.05 so I missed everything from the start of the YouTube clip onwards.
I'll just have to watch it in the morning with a cuppa.

Lim till i die
25/01/2011, 1:02 AM
The tweet bimbo comes on towards the end to inform everyone "Joan Burton" is trending worldwide on Twitter.

Cue delight on the face of Joan. :bulgy: :D

What a show, I think my favourite part was when she tried to explain that the recent row between Joe Higgins and Jose Manuel Barrosso in the European Parliment was for no other reason than the fact that Barrosso is an ex Maoist and Higgins is a "Trotskyite". David Lynchesque

BonnieShels
25/01/2011, 1:11 AM
How dare you call Cassie a bimbo.

Hmmmmm...

Lim till i die
25/01/2011, 1:14 AM
She's no intellectual heavyweight like Joan Burton, that's for sure! :)

Seven minutes of hauranging (sp?? as it's my new word for the week!), lies and comedy gold here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMcpEaYsb7M

Spudulika
25/01/2011, 4:54 AM
I was hoping she'd be one of my local reps, met her loads of times and she's never come across as anything other than intelligent and decent. Can't understand this.

Joe Higgins comes across well, he knew exactly how to get her going - got to remember she's going to be fighting for the last spot for the Dail.

I'm beginning to despise this show, completely worthless in terms of national debate, Browne is trying to be Jerry Springer. Waste of time.

Real ale Madrid
25/01/2011, 8:35 AM
I'm beginning to despise this show, completely worthless in terms of national debate, Browne is trying to be Jerry Springer. Waste of time.

How is he trying to be Jerry Springer? Because he demands straight answers to straight questions ? Burton got caught out last night, end of.

I'm no fan of VB myself and don't watch too often but i'll try and watch now after what I saw last night. It's better than the FF propaganda machine anyway that masqarades as the national broadcaster - but thats covered elsewhere.

dahamsta
25/01/2011, 9:50 AM
There's no doubt that Browne is winding them up, but calling it Jerry Springer is a bit rich. They shouldn't allow themselves to be wound up. Put Gerry Adams on there and he'll put Browne in his place. Say what you like about him, but he'd put these idiots to shame when it comes to dealing with the media.

If she's that flustered by VB, what's she going to be like in a meeting with the EU when they're trying to rape us with a 2% margin, plus "service charges", on their so-called "bailouts"? Those langers'd eat VB for supper.

Mr A
25/01/2011, 9:54 AM
There seems to be a trend towards current affairs coverage descending into hysterical nonsense. I find the Frontline unmatchable because it's just utter crap so much of the time. VB can be highly entertaining, but can also allow things to descend into farce seemingly just for the hell of it and delights in winding people up over relatively minor points. I was watching this last night but turned it off because it was so crap.

Sure the politicians should not rise to it, but it still sucks that potentially interesting debates end up in shouting nothingness.

Not sure I agree about Gerry Adams by the way, he got taken to the cleaners in the leaders' debate at the last election.

Spudulika
25/01/2011, 10:05 AM
VB is trying to gain ratings, not engage in proper discussion. Last night was a prime example, he was deliberately winding up and there was real falseness in his behaviour. I don't believe I'm going to far in likening him to Jerry Springer, especially when you analyse his manner of playing the ringmaster. For sure he looks for answers, however there is a lack of sincerity and a pandering to the moronic in his method. I watched Frontline and found that PK at least tried to get answers, though he didn't rev matters up like VB to gain ratings. RTE has been guilty of going slack on FF, though they've done the same for all parties. I don't believe Gerry Adams would fair better on VB, he'd just let it wash over him. If I were Joe Higgins last night I'd be frustrated by it all as despite his coherency and strong points, he was overrun by Burton's histrionics and VB's gameplaying.

Macy
25/01/2011, 10:10 AM
Actually didn't watch it last night, but sounds like Brawn copied O'Rourke's Gilmore ambush, which was a non story then and she's somehow fallen for it hook, line and sinker. Will try and watch it this evening (no access to youtube here).

I doubt she'll be Minister for Finance anyway, regardless of what happens. FG will have the numbers to demand it, if they want it. If it's an FG/Labour coalition, rather than a FG/ Others coalition.

Real ale Madrid
25/01/2011, 10:24 AM
There's no doubt that Browne is winding them up, but calling it Jerry Springer is a bit rich. They shouldn't allow themselves to be wound up. Put Gerry Adams on there and he'll put Browne in his place. Say what you like about him, but he'd put these idiots to shame when it comes to dealing with the media.

Didn't see VB doing any winding last night - I thought he was quite exasperated by Burton by the time he had produced the Late Late show's manuscripts. All he was looking for was a straight answer from her, true it wound her up, but if she's going to get wound up every time someone looks for a straight answer its going to be a long campaign for her.

Gerry Adams was on morning Ireland this morning, trying to shout down Leo Varadkar, Cathal MacCoille wasn't long putting him in his place.

Mr A
25/01/2011, 10:35 AM
Actually having had a look on politics.ie I see that Adams was on Morning Ireland and seems to have performed very poorly, even Shinners are saying so. He could again prove to be one of SF's biggest liabilities.

BonnieShels
25/01/2011, 10:54 AM
Was very disappointed in Gerry this morning. A **** poor performance. Varadkar was very cool.

jebus
25/01/2011, 11:20 AM
Varadkar is excellent in front of cameras and with the public, never gets flustered and always has answers. Very capable to trying sly digs in to his opponents whilst making proper points too.

People may say he's too young for the FG leadership but he'd honestly win them more votes than Kenny I believe

dahamsta
25/01/2011, 11:52 AM
Surprised to hear that about Adams, I've never seen him so much as raise his voice in a debate.

I'd trust Varadkar as much as I'd trust Eamon Ryan, which is to say not at all. Douchebags both.

Macy
25/01/2011, 12:49 PM
People may say he's too young for the FG leadership but he'd honestly win them more votes than Kenny I believe
He'd cost them a lot too - although he's toned down the right wing stuff a bit recently, people have memories. They'd get no preference from me with him in charge.

Spudulika
25/01/2011, 2:20 PM
Varadkar thinks too highly of himself, is useless at football (horribly so) and believes that the world revolves around him. I have never voted or wanted to vote for him, he will be an embarrassment if he gets any decent role. Not to mention he's a two faced hypocrite. He backed Enda Kenny, then a day later went against him, then suddenly was back on side. It may have been orchestrated, however it's not far from his own personality.

Adams isn't the best leader, imo, he was dreadful in the debates in 2007, making himself look very uninformed at times. I think he can lead, but he did cost SF in the last election.

Billsthoughts
26/01/2011, 10:07 AM
From the few prime time / newstalk political debates I have heard so far I have yet to hear anyone give a response to SF on their assertion that we should not have to pay bank debt? They all seem to switch to talking about soveriegn debt. Now I know people are going to say because of the steps the gov have taken they are one in the same. Which begs the question how can people who have brought us to that position accuse SF of being naieve economically? Am talking about the Greens,FF and FG here(as fg supported the measures.)

Real ale Madrid
26/01/2011, 1:06 PM
From the few prime time / newstalk political debates I have heard so far I have yet to hear anyone give a response to SF on their assertion that we should not have to pay bank debt? They all seem to switch to talking about soveriegn debt. Now I know people are going to say because of the steps the gov have taken they are one in the same. Which begs the question how can people who have brought us to that position accuse SF of being naieve economically? Am talking about the Greens,FF and FG here(as fg supported the measures.)

Couldn't agree more.

The panel seemed to scoff at Pearce Doherty last night, yet came up with nothing substantial in response.

No one has ever been able to tell me why we cannot get all these bondholders together and say:

1. We are sorry, but we cannot pay all of this money back.
2. You must accept a portion of the blame , as you lent irresponsibly.
3. We must negotiate.

We as a people, are being hoodwinked, by the majority of the main political parties into this " we must pay back all this debt or otherwise were dead " rubbish.

Our politicians guarenteed the banks over 2 years ago, and instead of getting in there and trying to fix them, they sat on thier hands and did nothing - waiting for the armageddon.

And they accuse SF of being naive ? Brilliant!

Spudulika
26/01/2011, 3:05 PM
Couldn't agree more.

The panel seemed to scoff at Pearce Doherty last night, yet came up with nothing substantial in response.

No one has ever been able to tell me why we cannot get all these bondholders together and say:

1. We are sorry, but we cannot pay all of this money back.
2. You must accept a portion of the blame , as you lent irresponsibly.
3. We must negotiate.

We as a people, are being hoodwinked, by the majority of the main political parties into this " we must pay back all this debt or otherwise were dead " rubbish.

Our politicians guarenteed the banks over 2 years ago, and instead of getting in there and trying to fix them, they sat on thier hands and did nothing - waiting for the armageddon.

Real Ale and Billsthoughts, you've both woken my brain up to a point that I'd been missing despite it being obvious. I almost believe and I'm being deathly serious) that I've had my bs meter washed by the media. Okay, so JA isn't the most articulate at times, though this morning I read articles ridiculing him over his "naivete". I saw the same done to Pearse Doherty. I'd heard the same leveled against Caoimhin O'Caolain - despite his brilliance in matching the constitution, law and financial realities.

Labour voted against the guarantee, SF voted for it. I would have voted for it, in essence, though in a limited form, which is what the government said it would be. However they ignored the law and continued to dump cash into a black hole, destroying the economy. Yet SF get beaten for supporting it.

It has already been proved that by taking steps to pay back part of the debt, the markets move on.

Example - in 1998-9 foreign investors and companies were wiped out in Russia - the rouble went from parity with the dollar to 100/200 to 1 over night, actually. It took a while to settle and then the companies came rushing back in. BP got burned twice in Russia, the last time severely so. Yet they're back in with a JV, stating - "we're here to make money." The same would happen with Ireland. The German, French, UK and other banks are able to take the hit, so let them have it. Instead there are too many making millions off the debt burden on the Irish taxpayer.

Macy
26/01/2011, 3:18 PM

I don't think that's quite fair. As has been pointed out on another thread, SF voted for the guarantee, which is what effectively tied bank debt to soveriegn debt.

Lenihan has already paid back alot of the bondholders, so that horse has bolted. The main opposition parties long advocated negotiated settlements with bondholders and a wind down of Anglo. There is also a question of how much of the bonds are now held by the ecb anyway, or banks under the ecb's remit (which was our big card in the IMF/EU bailout negotiations also fecked up by this Government). The main opposition parties also continually criticised the fact that the banks hadn't been sorted out.

Bottom line remains, that the main mistake was the blanket guarantee, particularly including Anglo, which the financial genius shinners voted for.

I'll be giving SF a pretty high preference, but they are saying what could've been done two years ago rather than dealing with the mess the next Government will have to try and clear up now.

Lim till i die
26/01/2011, 3:35 PM
SF voted for the guarantee.

This is a slight twisting of events which has been peddled by the other parties since it happened. (in particular a terrified Labour) My understanding is Sinn Fein agreed to back the guarantee as an emergency measure but once the detail was revealed and the banks were found to be telling porkies they then withdrew their support and voted against the bill ratifying the Gaurantee, some weeks later??

Even if this isn't the case and Sinn Fein are being duplicitous, is it any less honest than Labours voting against the guarantee before hopping into the finance bill bed??

FF's(and the PDs tbf) economic policies ruined the country.

Labour gave the people of Donegal SW Frank "8 euro bonds" McBrearty as their by election candidate.

I don't think any one party has the monopoly on economic stoopid.

Billsthoughts
26/01/2011, 3:51 PM
I don't think that's quite fair. As has been pointed out on another thread, SF voted for the guarantee, which is what effectively tied bank debt to soveriegn debt
Lenihan has already paid back alot of the bondholders, so that horse has bolted

In bold is the point bank debt became sovereign debt. Not the the guarantee.

Spudulika
26/01/2011, 3:56 PM
Thanks Lim, the guarantee, as an initial response, had to be done. It was needed to keep the public calm and to ensure that the banks (thanks to their stupidity) didn't go bust. Labour were well within their rights to vote against it, and SF were right, along with FG, FF and the others, to vote for it. It was expressly stated that this was a response to the situation and that it would be a blanket guarantee that would be for a set amount of money (up to 3billion I think). It was to be reviewed and measures taken. However Lenihan and co, and their backers, then obfuscated the situation and brought us to where we are today. SF consistently called for a halt and so too Labour and FG.

No party, as you say, is above recrimination. But it won't stop the media from peddling half truths to keep any sort of threats to the paymasters out of substantial government.

Rasputin
27/01/2011, 10:33 AM
I find VB one of the most honest political shows in Ireland, not that it is much of an achievement.
He does sometimes wind up his guests, he knocks them off balance and takes them out of their comfort zone so that they arent as comfortable manafcturing their generic responses.
It is in no way Jerry Springer like, its alot more Paxmanesque.
He doesnt stand for the politicians bull**** and makes alot better viewing than RTE massaging FF's ego.
As for Joan Burton last night, like another poster said I wasnt sure what to make of her before seeing that.
But after viewing that, what an embaressment, she was a disgrace on the show.

Macy
27/01/2011, 10:49 AM
This is a slight twisting of events which has been peddled by the other parties since it happened. (in particular a terrified Labour) My understanding is Sinn Fein agreed to back the guarantee as an emergency measure but once the detail was revealed and the banks were found to be telling porkies they then withdrew their support and voted against the bill ratifying the Gaurantee, some weeks later??
I don't want to duplicate again, but the reason Labour voted against was because it was a blank cheque and they didn't have the full facts and full cost of the "cheapest bail out in the world" (copyright B Lenihan). The SF stance is the same as the FG, who also did the same.

In bold is the point bank debt became sovereign debt. Not the the guarantee.
Once the Government stood over the debt, it became tied to the sovereign. They could have withdrawn the guarantee, but whilst that was in place they were tied together.

dahamsta
27/01/2011, 11:42 AM
I wouldn't call VB paxmanesque by any stretch of the imagination, he hasn't half the talent of Paxman. I'd put him somewhere in the middle. I'd still prefer to watch his show though, everything else is just a love-in, the pols involved might as well strip off and get into it.

John83
27/01/2011, 11:50 AM
...everything else is just a love-in, the pols involved might as well strip off and get into it.
That'd give FF's suddenly rejuvenated candidates an unfair advantage.

Macy
27/01/2011, 12:12 PM
That'd give FF's suddenly rejuvenated candidates an unfair advantage.
You keep your Mary O'Rourke fantasies to yourself!

John83
27/01/2011, 12:16 PM
I was thinking of Michael Martin's referring to himself as "a young man" on TV last night. I forget the programme - Frontline probably. Hands up who thinks 50 is "young"?

Rasputin
27/01/2011, 12:24 PM
I wouldn't call VB paxmanesque by any stretch of the imagination, he hasn't half the talent of Paxman. I'd put him somewhere in the middle. I'd still prefer to watch his show though, everything else is just a love-in, the pols involved might as well strip off and get into it.
His style of interviewing is alot more confrontational than the tame RTE product.
Granted he is nowhere near the quality of Paxman but it is of the same school where both Brown and Paxman take politicans out of their comfort zones with regurgitated lines and actually get some level of truth that the farcical RTE could never manage.
But he is in no way Jerry Springer like, that is fairly ridiculous tbf.

Mr A
27/01/2011, 12:53 PM
RTE are far too soft far too often, but occasionally you do get some decent interviews and debates on there. I do agree they tend to be poor, but wouldn't write them off completely.

Macy
27/01/2011, 1:09 PM
RTE are far too soft far too often, but occasionally you do get some decent interviews and debates on there. I do agree they tend to be poor, but wouldn't write them off completely.
Their biggest problem is they're not even handed. Sean O'Rourke is a fine one to go after FG, or play back clips of Gilmore, but then accepts any amount of bullcrap from Lenihan (for example) without a sign of playing back clips of some of the false stuff he's said.

Lim till i die
30/01/2011, 3:21 PM
BUMP For further insanity:

Good Grief (http://twitpic.com/3unhe2)

Suggestion for Eamon:

http://www.belgian-malinois-dog-breed.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/leather-dog-muzzle-best-dog-muzzle.jpg

mypost
30/01/2011, 7:15 PM
As for Joan Burton last night, like another poster said I wasnt sure what to make of her before seeing that.
But after viewing that, what an embaressment, she was a disgrace on the show.

The worst embarrassment was over the Gilmore stuff on RTE. Demanding TV3 show the clip was insanity, denying what Gilmore said was beyond parody.

I'm sure Brussels can't wait to run her over, in ECOFIN summits.