PDA

View Full Version : Cycling 2011

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Dodge
23/01/2011, 6:24 PM
Might as well start a new one. Matt Brammeier starts off in the Tour of Qatar. Looks like he's going all out on the national champion jersey as he's delighted with his new customised Oakleys. http://twitpic.com/3sgn8x He also mentioned he was getting tricolour shoes too...

Could be very exciting year for Irish cycling with big things expected from Nicolas Roche and Dan Martin, hopefully a fit and helthy Philip Deignan returns to form and Matt making the step up to the ProTour. Add in an exciting looking An post/Sean kelly team (including the likes of Sam Bennett and Philip Lavery)

Macy
27/01/2011, 12:11 PM
Roche named leader of AG2R. http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ag2r-to-support-leader-roche

"He still has to break through completely," said Lavenu about the Irishman, who speaks fluent French. "But he has the physical capacity and mental force. He is our future star, and it is up to us to make him reach the highest level. In the future, he will be able to go for a podium place in a Grand Tour."

Dodge
03/02/2011, 8:51 AM
http://www.irishprocycling.com/news/deignan/deignan-aiming-high-2011-giro

Deignan seemingly given free reign at giro, but not ridng Tour.

sixesandsevens
09/02/2011, 11:39 PM
Really looking forward to 2011 in cycling. I think Roche has a great opportunity to finish in the top 10 of the Tour this year, I wouldn't be surprised if he collected a stage win or two on the way

Stuttgart88
12/02/2011, 4:06 PM
Has Garmin/Slipstream merged with Cervelo? Any impact on Dan Martin?

Dodge
12/02/2011, 11:28 PM
Has Garmin/Slipstream merged with Cervelo? Any impact on Dan Martin?

Yes it merged. No real impact on Martin. He still expeacts to ride Tour and Giro and he has a bit of a leader's role

Deignan left for Radioshack.

martin was 3rd in the Tour du Med stage today (and not happy about being forced into barriers apaprently)
http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/tour-mediterraneen-cycliste-professionnel-2-1-1/stage-4/results

Billsthoughts
02/03/2011, 10:37 AM
Roche is going to do his diary for the Paris Nice I think.
Are all of these shown on europsort?
or do you have to go online.
Never really watched anything live bar the tour before.

the 12 th man
02/03/2011, 11:17 AM
Roche is going to do his diary for the Paris Nice I think.
Are all of these shown on europsort?
or do you have to go online.
Never really watched anything live bar the tour before.
Eurosport 2/Sunday 6th March 12.15 Live

CYCLING
Live Cycling: Paris-Nice (105min)
---------------------------------------------
Eurosport 1 Not live 17:00
CYCLING
Cycling: Paris-Nice (60min)

22.00 Cycling Paris-Nice.

Mr A
21/03/2011, 9:58 AM
Martin, Roche and Deignan all riding the tour of Catalonia this week.

Roche doing his diary again: http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/nicolas-roche-lsquomy-head-is-telling-me-irsquom-the-boss-but-my-legs-arenrsquot-listeningrsquo-2587266.html

Dodge
21/03/2011, 10:28 AM
Matt Brammieir was supposed to do it too, but was pulled by HTC at the last minute. He tweeted "best of luck to the Irish lads and the HTC team for Catalunya. Sorry I couldn't be there. It wouldn't seem right me racing outside of belgium"

BTW Milan San remo was superb on Saturday. I love that race!

Stuttgart88
21/03/2011, 8:10 PM
Tell us about it. Cavendish won it in 2010, yes?

What's the story with Boonen this year? Any sign of him?

Macy
22/03/2011, 8:48 AM
Tell us about it. Cavendish won it in 2010, yes?

What's the story with Boonen this year? Any sign of him?
2009 was when Cavendish won it - he was caught behind a crash this year, but said he was sick anyway so wouldn't have been in contention. I think Boonen was the right side of the split, but didn't make the final break/ couldn't match the pace on the climbs.

Mr A
23/03/2011, 3:28 PM
Martin 4th on stage 3. Contador won it.. time gaps aren't available yet but will appear here: http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/volta-ciclista-a-catalunya-upt-1/stage-3/results

Edit: GC:

General:
1º 11 CONTADOR, Alberto ESP SAXO BANK SUNGARD 13:05:55
2º 162 LEIPHEIMER, Levi USA TEAM RADIOSHACK a 23
3º 102 SCARPONI, Michele ITA LAMPRE-ISD a 23
4º 153 MARTIN, Daniel IRL TEAM GARMIN-CERVELO a 35
5º 163 HORNER, Chris USA TEAM RADIOSHACK a 35

40º 81 ROCHE, Nicolas IRL AG2R LA MONDIALE a 03:29

69º 164 DEIGNAN, Philip IRL TEAM RADIOSHACK a 09:01

Mr A
24/03/2011, 2:53 PM
Martin 10th and Roche 11th on today's stage. No change to the overall.

Dodge
24/03/2011, 7:25 PM
On a flat stage what is Martin doing sprinting?

Bleedin' show off

Mr A
25/03/2011, 1:58 PM
Roche 7th today, Martin 18th, Deignan 89th, all in the bunch.

Dodge
25/03/2011, 2:01 PM
Matt Brammeier is doing Gent Wevelgem First big race for him in the national champions jersey

Mr A
26/03/2011, 3:01 PM
Martin 4th on today's stage. Roche 13th.

Mr A
27/03/2011, 1:22 PM
Martin finishes on the podium in Catalunya, not sure what happened Leipheimer yet.

Dodge
27/03/2011, 2:52 PM
He didn't start the day with a stomache complaint.

Boonen won Gent Wevelgem

Macy
28/03/2011, 10:06 AM
Excellent result for Martin, even 4th would've been good, but I'm sure he'll take the podium whatever the circumstances. Bodes well for the Giro, considering Bertie was using it as prep for that too.

Dodge
28/03/2011, 10:59 AM
I think the big news taht he can perform this early in the season. I'm guessing the operation on his sinuses has worked

Macy
28/03/2011, 1:19 PM
I think the big news taht he can perform this early in the season. I'm guessing the operation on his sinuses has worked
Hadn't thought of that - must be the jet lag from the clocks changing!

Dodge
28/03/2011, 2:05 PM
martin earned a total of 72 World Ranking points in catalunya, placing him in 16th place individually and Ireland in 11th at this early stage

cornflakes
07/04/2011, 7:10 PM
Hey lads, I have a friend who is cycling from Alaska to the southern tip of Argentina to raise money for Carers Association. He and an american friend of his will be trying to do this in 350 days and will have to travel 17,000miles across 15 countries. Its a great cause and hes trying to raise €100,000 altogether. It would be great if you could donate anything at all or maybe even just spread the word about the worthy cause. You can donate on the website or just check it out and follow the blog when they begin.

http://www.350south.org/

I posted this here cos I know some of you know how tough cycling can be and will appreciate the sacrifices and preparation for this journey

Billsthoughts
19/04/2011, 11:50 AM
first time following all the classics. Really enjoying them. some great races so far. fleche wallone and liege bastonne liege this week. god bless eurosport and digital plus.

Re Martin - he seemed to struggle in the tour of the basque country. How do people think he will get on in Giro?

Mr A
19/04/2011, 12:34 PM
I was surprised by that too- he seemed to be flying in Catalunya.

Hopefully he gets it together again for the Giro.

Watched the Amstel Gold on Sunday, great race but never saw the Irish guys at all, although Roche may have been among the AG2Rs at the front for a bit.

Roche, Martin and Deignan all on the start list for La Flèche Wallonne 2011.

Macy
19/04/2011, 1:52 PM
I was surprised by that too- he seemed to be flying in Catalunya.

Hopefully he gets it together again for the Giro.

I think a few that'd done well in Catalunya didn't really show in that race either though. No idea whether that was planned or not - wouldn't be surprised if it was always the plan not to go full tilt. He could be in the running this week, I'd suspect more tomorrow than Sunday.

Mulling over sorting a motorised dish for some of the sport, with cycling being the main one (German Eurosport is FTA), but also Heineken Cup Rugby and some football. Just not convinced i'd get to watch it enough to justify the outlay or whether I'd be better bumping up my broadband for feeds.

Billsthoughts
20/04/2011, 10:39 AM
interview with Dan Martin on velonation today. Says he is not riding Giro. Wan non commital on riding tour. says tour of basque country was just run at a very fast pace

Real ale Madrid
20/04/2011, 7:43 PM
Deignan was 23rd in the Fleche Wallone today. Roche and Martin involved in some sort of crash accoriding to Roche's twitter feed.

nicholasroche

Bad Crash today! Nothing broken! Sorry Dan! For taking you down! At least had a good family gathering in huy hospital

Race won in impressive fashion by Phillipe Gilbert, 2nd big classic in the space of a few days. Will be a major challenger for anything he enters now. They are going nuts for him over here.

Billsthoughts
20/04/2011, 10:17 PM
Love Gilbert

Mr A
20/04/2011, 10:19 PM
He's some dude. Wonder if he can make it a hat trick at Liege Bastogne Liege...

Dodge
20/04/2011, 10:30 PM
Love Gilbert

How could you not? Incredible classics rider.

Real ale Madrid
21/04/2011, 8:36 AM
He's some dude. Wonder if he can make it a hat trick at Liege Bastogne Liege...

Would be hard to back against him, he was 3rd last year.

Macy
21/04/2011, 10:14 AM
Would be hard to back against him, he was 3rd last year.
Could get marked out of it, if the other teams adopt similar tactics to what they did in Roubaix. If that did happen, hopefully he won't whinge about legit tactics it as much as Cancellara did!

Real ale Madrid
24/04/2011, 6:33 PM
Gilbert won again, missed this, was down in west kerry at the Ras Mumhan, hope to catch some highlights at some stage.

Dodge
24/04/2011, 8:58 PM
Schkecks messed up, and he swooped to win. 4 Irish started but only Deignan finished. Brammeier was told to go hard and stop at 170k. Martin and Roche probably feeling effects of last week's crash

Billsthoughts
25/04/2011, 8:24 AM
do ya reckon the shclecks done a deal with him? maybe he(lotto) will help them out in tour. otherwise they are completely dumb.

Dodge
25/04/2011, 9:49 AM
Gilbert's already said he's not doing the tour so I can't see how he'd agree to anything on his team's behalf. i just think they messed up (again) because they don't want to beat each other

Billsthoughts
06/05/2011, 12:38 PM
Giro this weekend.......cant wait...

Mr A
06/05/2011, 12:43 PM
Only Deignan in it from an Irish perspective. Roche planned to do it at the start of the year if I remember correctly but I guess the form just isn't there.

Dodge
06/05/2011, 12:48 PM
Martin was another who had it pencilled in as it is mental with mountains, but he's been told he's going to Le Tour apparently

Stuttgart88
08/05/2011, 9:06 AM
That's good. I was disappointed he didn't make it last year.

Real ale Madrid
08/05/2011, 9:37 PM
For anyone with iPhone / Android, the Giro 2011 app is excellent. Bit slow to update but contains descriptions of all the stages, stage profiles , rider profiles as well as highlights and results. Really good.

Macy
09/05/2011, 11:46 AM
Martin was another who had it pencilled in as it is mental with mountains, but he's been told he's going to Le Tour apparently
It was put out that he was targetting the Giro - think we even discussed it here, but now it's as if that didn't happen and it was never the plan. Could be the allergies not being completely solved, and I'm pretty sure Lemond blamed a similar issue for him never really performing at the Giro. He could do well in California though.

Mr A
09/05/2011, 4:06 PM
Weylandt dies in Giro d'Italia crash (http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/weylandt-dies-in-giro-ditalia-crash) Horrible.

Mr A
14/05/2011, 9:27 AM
A UCI list of the suspicion levels around each rider in the Tour De France last year has been leaked. Nicolas Roche was among the riders who rated as a zero or not suspicious.

Cycling News piece: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ucis-suspicious-list-leaked-from-2010-tour-de-france

Macy
17/05/2011, 8:28 AM
ITV4 have live coverage of the Tour of California everynight this week from 9.30. Stumbled across it last night - Matt Rendell and Ned Boulting in studio, Ligget and Sherwen commentary. ITV4 have a +1 channel as well.

(Not sure if it's on UPC, but those with sky rather than Freesat/ FTA, you can add the ITV channels via "Other Channels" http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055520627 )

Dodge
22/05/2011, 5:59 PM
It was put out that he was targetting the Giro - think we even discussed it here, but now it's as if that didn't happen and it was never the plan. Could be the allergies not being completely solved, and I'm pretty sure Lemond blamed a similar issue for him never really performing at the Giro. He could do well in California though.

I think the last week has shown that California is a higher priority for Garmin (and Radioshack) than the Giro. Martin is 14th with only a doddle of a stage left. Was in a breakway taht didn't make it a couple of nights ago (Eurosport had live coverage too). Not bad considering he's been a domestique for Danielson and Van de Velde

Deignan in a long break today in the Giro. Finished 14th on stage and is now 55th overall

Real ale Madrid
22/05/2011, 9:57 PM
Anyone know the longest ( by time ) stage of a grand tour in recent years. Today was over seven hours and took a phenomenal effort, even Contador was done at the end of it!

It seems to be a particularly savage Giro this year as well, anyone think this will take the edge off Contador for Le tour?

It was great to watch over the last 2 days