PDA

View Full Version : Rugby 2011

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Mr A
19/01/2011, 1:31 PM
May as well start a new thread I think.

Ireland squad announced: http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/rugby/2011/0119/1224287908800.html

At last the woeful Tony Buckles has been dispensed with. Hopefully Ross is given a chance.

Real ale Madrid
19/01/2011, 2:05 PM
Surprised Tomas O'Leary was left out. If Ross gets a chance and Flannery can get fit we may have a chance. Our chances in the tournament are based on how competitive our front row can be. I think it could be a competitive group this year with 4 wins probably being enough to win it.

Macy
19/01/2011, 3:53 PM
At last the woeful Tony Buckles has been dispensed with. Hopefully Ross is given a chance.
Ross has to be first choice tighthead - if the thinking is that he's limited in the loose, compare the peno count of Buckley or Hayes at scrum time. Cullen should be in the second row with O'Connell for the same reasoning - sort out the set pieces and a lot of the rest looks after itself.

Bit surprised at O'Leary missing - you'd think it's because of lack of game time, but then he picks Flannery...

Mr A
19/01/2011, 7:46 PM
Agree about Cullen, can't understand why he isn't in the squad.

Schumi
19/01/2011, 11:50 PM
Agree about Cullen, can't understand why he isn't in the squad.

Cullen is in the squad. Whether he gets into the matchday squad is another matter.

Charlie Darwin
20/01/2011, 1:43 AM
Bit surprised at O'Leary missing - you'd think it's because of lack of game time, but then he picks Flannery...
In O'Leary's case, and possible Buckley's too, I think it's a motivational tactic. There are only two scrum halfs (usually 3 are chosen) and four props (typically 5 are chosen) in the squad.

Disappointed McFadden was only picked for the Wolfhounds and Carr was omitted entirely.

paudie
21/01/2011, 9:45 PM
doesn't seem to be a Heineken Cup thread so I'll post that Leinster have qualified for a home QF after an away win against Racing Metro in Paris.

Mr A
21/01/2011, 10:58 PM
Leinster look seriously impressive. Just hoping Ulster don't get them in the quarters!

tetsujin1979
22/01/2011, 12:12 AM
Leinster look seriously impressive. Just hoping Ulster don't get them in the quarters!
I don't think they can? Aren't teams from the same country kept apart until the semi-finals?

Real ale Madrid
22/01/2011, 12:49 PM
No the quarters are seeded, if Leinster are seeded 2 and Ulster are seeded 7 they will meet in the quarters, probably in the Pallindrome.

Mr A
23/01/2011, 8:02 PM
Euro draws:

Heineken Cup quarter-final draw:
(Ties to be played 8-10 April.)

Northampton v ULSTER
LEINSTER v Leicester
Perpignan v Toulon
Biarritz v Toulouse

Heineken Cup semi-finals:
(Ties to be played 30 April/1 May.)

LEINSTER/Leicester v Biarritz/Toulouse
Northampton/ULSTER v Perpignan v Toulon

Amlin Challenge Cup quarter-final draw:
(Ties to be played 8-10 April.)

Stade Francais v Montpellier
Brive v MUNSTER
La Rochelle v Clermont
Harlequins v Wasps

Amlin Challenge Cup semi-final draw:
(Ties to be played 30 April/1 May.)

Stade Francais/Montpellier v La Rochelle/Clermont Auvergne
Brive/MUNSTER v Harlequins/Wasps

The Fly
23/01/2011, 9:29 PM
How long before someone corrects the thread title?

dantheman
24/01/2011, 1:17 PM
Leinster now 2/1 favorites with Paddy Power. If Ulster can somehow win away in Northampton, then they (like Leinster) will be home for the SF. Two matches at the Aviva seems a possibility. If Munster reach the final of the Amlin, and its a long shot, but there could be 3 Irish teams in Cardiff under such a scenario.

This would also mean that Connacht would enter next years Heineken Cup for the first time. Good for Irish rugby we'll all agree. Go on Ulster!

Macy
24/01/2011, 1:37 PM
It's if Munster win the Amlin that all four provinces qualify for the European Cup, as far as I'm aware. If Munster can be arsed, they'd be in with a shout anyway.

Schumi
24/01/2011, 1:55 PM
It's if Munster win the Amlin that all four provinces qualify for the European Cup, as far as I'm aware. If Munster can be arsed, they'd be in with a shout anyway.

Or if Ulster or Leinster win the Heineken Cup.

Real ale Madrid
24/01/2011, 2:49 PM
Or if Ulster or Leinster win the Heineken Cup.

Really ??

Irish teams have won the HC 4 times in the past but Connacht haven't been in the HC yet. Have the rules changed ?

I would have said Munster don't have a chance of winning the Amlin before the weekend, but the draw has worked out really well. Brive look fairly beatable, they are in the bottom 2 in the top 14 and a home draw then makes them favourites to get though in the bottom section.

Schumi
24/01/2011, 3:09 PM
Irish teams have won the HC 4 times in the past but Connacht haven't been in the HC yet. Have the rules changed ?

New rule from last year afaik.

Real ale Madrid
24/01/2011, 3:40 PM
New rule from last year afaik.

I think that only applies to English / French teams. The only way Connacht have of getting into HC is Munster winning the Amlin.

Schumi
24/01/2011, 3:53 PM
I think that only applies to English / French teams. The only way Connacht have of getting into HC is Munster winning the Amlin.
Not according to this (http://www.ercrugby.com/eng/heinekencup/rules/qualification_process.php).

cornflakes
24/01/2011, 5:42 PM
Can Leinster use the Aviva for the semi?
I was told they cant cos they used it as a home venue in the group stages
Have I been told a load a ****e or is it true

Real ale Madrid
24/01/2011, 6:27 PM
Not according to this (http://www.ercrugby.com/eng/heinekencup/rules/qualification_process.php).

I stand corrected! Can't believe people haven't made more of an issue of this regarding Connaught ! They have a great chance of qualification to HC with this rule.

Real ale Madrid
24/01/2011, 6:32 PM
Can Leinster use the Aviva for the semi?
I was told they cant cos they used it as a home venue in the group stages
Have I been told a load a ****e or is it true

Well my record on the rules on this thread is already in tatters, but Leinster can use any ground that's not thier home ground. So they can use the aviva. I wonder would Croker be considered for the semi final, assuming they get there.

Schumi
24/01/2011, 8:19 PM
Well my record on the rules on this thread is already in tatters, but Leinster can use any ground that's not thier home ground. So they can use the aviva. I wonder would Croker be considered for the semi final, assuming they get there.Yeah, they can use any ground other than the RDS with a capacity over some amount (25,000 springs to mind but that could be wrong) for the semi. I've heard that Lansdowne is actually cheaper to rent for a game than the RDS because of preferential IRFU rates so Croker might not make any more money.

Mr A
25/01/2011, 11:34 AM
Bit of a boost for Ulster as Northampton forced to move the game: http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/rugby/2011/0125/1224288273076.html

Don't agree with the decision, they should have been allowed to play at home.

Macy
25/01/2011, 12:28 PM
Don't agree with the decision, they should have been allowed to play at home.
They lost my sympathy when I read that they could've got the capacity up, but wouldn't because of the corporate's being effected. Economic realities or not, sod them.

SwanVsDalton
27/01/2011, 4:37 PM
Ireland's injury crisis deepens (http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/sixnations/2011/0126/bowet.html)

So who's in contention to come in? Fitzgerald at full-back, Earls on the wing but one winger berth to be filled. Can McFadden play there? Looks like it's him, Johne Murphy or Gavin Duffy although Fionn Carr must count himself unlucky not to get involved in at least the Wolfhounds at this point.

Schumi
27/01/2011, 8:29 PM
McFadden was excellent on the wing for Leinster in the couple of Heineken Cup games he played there. Gavin Duffy is playing in the A game this week and if he does well he's likely to start at full back against Italy I'd say. Fitzgerald didn't play well in the last two Leinster games so I'd start McFadden and Earls on the wings.

joeSoap
28/01/2011, 11:39 AM
Gavin Duffy is playing in the A game this week and if he does well he's likely to start at full back against Italy I'd say. Fitzgerald didn't play well in the last two Leinster games so I'd start McFadden and Earls on the wings.Earls has to consider himself lucky over the injury situation or else he wouldn't get in. His forms not been good either. Kidney is a creature of habit and will be loathe to have to change things too much. Given whats fit, I'd love to see Earls play full back with McFadden and Fitzgerald on the wings. Three explosive runners there.

SwanVsDalton
01/02/2011, 12:56 PM
Ireland team to face Italy (http://www.irishrugby.ie/ireland/22020.php)

McFadden on the wing, Fitzgerald at full back, O'Leary, Ross and O'Brien all start. Sounds about right to me though choosing both Wallace and O'Gara on the bench gives us no wing cover, would've made more sense to stick Duffy in there.

Mr A
01/02/2011, 2:40 PM
Can't really argue with that except I'd have Leo Cullen in the team instead of O Callaghan.

Charlie Darwin
01/02/2011, 3:05 PM
Yeah, I think Cullen ahead of O'Callaghan and possibly incorporating Jennings somehow are the only close calls. Ross has benefited from injuries but deserves his place on form and McFadden has the chance now to jump up the list.

Macy
02/02/2011, 10:07 PM
Ross has been the best Irish tighthead by far all season - a no brainer even for Kidney. Mind you, I would've thought the same regarding Cullen. Leamy lucky enough to get in ahead of Jennings too.

Hard to know how the Championship will go, but if it doesn't go well Kidney's leaving himself very open given the way some players are overlooked regardless what they do at their provinces, while some players seem immune no matter what.

joeSoap
03/02/2011, 9:14 AM
http://www.lorealmenfantasyrugby.ie/Index.aspx

League Pin 7479 if anyones interested.

Spudulika
04/02/2011, 9:23 PM
Wales look like they could be beaten this year, England played well and their pack could cause problems. We need a win tomorrow and a solid pack to do well this year. Poor standard of rugby tonight I felt.

Charlie Darwin
04/02/2011, 11:14 PM
I don't know what to think about Ashton - he got two tries tonight, but he just doesn't seem like a good player. He is such a bulky player but I'd back the comparatively diminutive Earls to take him.

Schumi
04/02/2011, 11:27 PM
Neither side looked good. England have a strong pack but were so predictable that Wales could stop them forcing their way over. England's lack of a cutting edge will do for them against France at least.

Spudulika
06/02/2011, 6:23 AM
I'm delighted Ireland had a struggle, though each time they put their foot on the pedal and looked strong. It's going to be a good championship.

Macy
07/02/2011, 10:02 AM
Shoulda, woulda, coulda, but not too bad a performance overall by Ireland, should've been out of sight. Stupid yellow at that stage of the game by Leamy when we were already under pressure at scrum time. I actually thought we could've gone through the phases a bit longer before the drop goal tbh, but fair play to O'Gara for nailing it.

shakermaker1982
07/02/2011, 10:15 AM
I don't think we played that badly. Italy are at their most dangerous on the first day of the 6N. Any fan/pundit who thought we'd put 40 points on em needs their head examining. D'Arcy had a shocker but I thought our scrum held up (despite ref pinging us a fair bit). Having PO'C is a big lift, particularly at the lineout and for restarts.

France next and it's the one 6N game I always dread. When they are good they are good. Looked a bit suspect defensively against the jocks and I hope we can take advantage.

Charlie Darwin
07/02/2011, 1:06 PM
Having PO'C is a big lift, particularly at the lineout and for restarts.
True, I wouldn't fancy lifting him.

The overall performance wasn't awful but I'd be really worried about the error count. I reckon we left 5 tries behind due to unforced spills and wayward passes. Against France, we're going to need close to a 100% conversion rate, not <20%.

SwanVsDalton
09/02/2011, 12:22 PM
Ireland side against France named. (http://www.irishrugby.ie/ireland/22161.php)

Just the one change, Heaslip in for Leamy, O'Brien moved to six. I have a bad feeling about this...

Charlie Darwin
09/02/2011, 12:35 PM
Doesn't really rectify the problems of last week except it gets rid of penalty machine Leamy (for 60 minutes at least). I'm not sure what Jennings needs to do to get in the team - perhaps put on 3 stone and run down blind alleys? Wallace was the weak link in the scrum last week - he broke off within seconds every time, and journalists are still wondering why Ross kept getting pinged.

SwanVsDalton
09/02/2011, 1:14 PM
Agreed - Wallace wasn't the only one, since Leamy spent most scrums complaining at the ref (with reason, in fairness). Still would've been better putting a decent shove on. I really don't see what Kidney sees in Leamy above Jennings. Also think it's curious Trimble doesn't make the bench - our only attacking game changer in reserve is O'Gara. Can't see Paddy Wallace making much of an impact late on, whereas at least Trimble's direct running and versatility could help.

Mr A
09/02/2011, 1:22 PM
D'Arcy can count himself very lucky I think...

Schumi
09/02/2011, 1:24 PM
I don't understand why Paddy Wallace is in the squad. With O'Gara on the bench, he's not needed to cover out half and we've no bench cover for the back 3 now.

Charlie Darwin
09/02/2011, 1:29 PM
D'Arcy can count himself very lucky I think...
I wouldn't fancy Wallace defending against Rougerie and Traille.

Crosby87
12/02/2011, 1:45 PM
What time is that game on in Dublin?

Charlie Darwin
12/02/2011, 9:05 PM
3pm.

Scotland and Wales was the worst game I've ever seen. Or at least since the Italy match last week. Truly frustrating stuff. England mauled Italy without ever looking great. I think if France can sort out their inferiority complex they'll cause them serious problems and if we can match them up front we'll have enough to win comfortably. Worried about tomorrow though.

SwanVsDalton
13/02/2011, 4:20 PM
Very disappointed. We played nearly all the rugby but too ill-disciplined and still far too many silly errors. So frustrating, should've been a certain try at the end too...what could've been.

The one possible positive is it takes some pressure off Kidney in terms of team selection. With so many injuries, there's ample opportunity to do some much needed squad building. I certainly think it's time for Cronin to get a stretch in team, and maybe a chance for a few others to get a run.

sixesandsevens
13/02/2011, 4:28 PM
D'Arcy had another shocker today. He'll do well to keep his place